HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else find themselves pulling for Tampa because of Gagne?

Old
05-21-2011, 04:57 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Cheering for TB for sure. Bittersweet comeback from 0-3 down with Gags scoring the GWG and then assisting on the EN goal but I comfort myself by remembering we got Walker for him, not to mention his cap hit was used to pay for Leighton for 2 seasons and Shelley for 3. Ooops, forgot about Zherdev.

Last edited by MsWoof: 05-21-2011 at 09:05 PM.
MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 05:07 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I want Gagne back .

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 05:11 PM
usualsuspect434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I don't think I was clear then. I have no problem with teams getting better from the draft. For example, in 6 years from now, if Edmonton is riding high due to Hall and whoever they pick this year, I have no problem with that. I see that as the purpose of the draft.

My problem is that Tampa won a Cup in '04 due in part to their first pick overall with Lecavalier in 98 (thus fulfilling the purpose of the draft); then they went from Stanley Cup champion to worst team in the NHL in 4 years. THAT is ineptitude. How do you go from Cup champ to worst overall in 4 years (3 really because of the lockout season)? And then, because of this ineptitude, they are rewarded with Stamkos and then Hedman.

It's like you have a business that declares bankruptcy, then they get bailed out. That's well and good. They go on to make millions, then suddenly go bankrupt again, so they get bailed out again. They ought to have to suffer for their ineptitude this second time, not be rewarded for frittering away their business.

It bothers me because it seems like rewarding ineptitude. The formula is get a first overall pick, win a Cup, lose and get high round picks, and then win the Cup again. I just don't like that formula. It reminds me of the Florida Marlins.

A team like Detroit or NJ lived off of their few high draft pick for years (Yzerman and Niedermayer) but still used the draft and smart managing to keep winning, even to this day. The Red Wings didn't win the Cup in 1997 only to be the worst team in 2001. The Devils didn't win the Cup in 1995 only to have the #1 pick in 1999. No, these teams, with a few minor setbacks along the way, persevered and remained competititive for many years later, winning several Cups. Unlike a team like Tampa which fell to worst overall in 4 years. Granted, I have to recognize that the salary cap had something to do with it, but that still doesn't excuse a team from nosediving that quickly.

I just don't feel that that style of managing, or whatever you call it, is worthy of respect. I feel the same way about the Penguins.
It's funny......I would rather have the Flyers do exactly what you described than to just be good for 30 years and have 0 cups to show for it. To me, it's all about winning the cup. I would definitely suffer through 3 or 4 horrible seasons and come away with a cup in the 5th than go through year after year after year of "close, but not quite".

I was actually sincerely hoping that the Flyers would have another terrible year in 2008. In '07, we sucked and ended up with a solid player, maybe a future star in JVR.....but not a franchise-changer. If we hold off our complete overhaul and re-build for one more year, and end up with a Stamkos or Drew Doughty?!? To me, yes, it absolutely would have been worth suffering through another miserable year. Because I believe that one more young star would have been the difference between a cup and a close second. But that's just me......

Hey, at least we're not the Leafs.....who still suck year after year. They make a run right at the end of the year, get close to the playoffs but miss, get a so-so draft pick and just exist in mediocrity. It could be worse!!!

usualsuspect434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspect434 View Post
It's funny......I would rather have the Flyers do exactly what you described than to just be good for 30 years and have 0 cups to show for it. To me, it's all about winning the cup. I would definitely suffer through 3 or 4 horrible seasons and come away with a cup in the 5th than go through year after year after year of "close, but not quite".

I was actually sincerely hoping that the Flyers would have another terrible year in 2008. In '07, we sucked and ended up with a solid player, maybe a future star in JVR.....but not a franchise-changer. If we hold off our complete overhaul and re-build for one more year, and end up with a Stamkos or Drew Doughty?!? To me, yes, it absolutely would have been worth suffering through another miserable year. Because I believe that one more young star would have been the difference between a cup and a close second. But that's just me......

Hey, at least we're not the Leafs.....who still suck year after year. They make a run right at the end of the year, get close to the playoffs but miss, get a so-so draft pick and just exist in mediocrity. It could be worse!!!
Well, to be honest, maybe I am just bitter, since I would have no problem HOWEVER the Flyers might win a cup - I don't even care if they paid off the refs. However, since we have been good for so long with nothing to show for it, I think I am bitter and resentful of the teams that seem to do the opposite and win cups. So, it's probably just because of our situation that I am so bitter.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I'd rather be consistently good than consistently bad and relying on a lucky draft.

05-21-2011, 09:46 PM
usualsuspect434

Don't get me wrong, I'd sooner be good over time too, but maybe throw in the odd cup here and there.....you know, just to make it all worthwhile.

I'm thinking the Red Wings, and as much as it pains me to say, the Debs too.

usualsuspect434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 10:15 PM
lancer247

as much as i like gagne I can't take a city like tampa winning another cup.

gagne has replaced andrew toney as the boston strangler.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 10:34 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

yeah Gagne is washed up and clearly had to go for salary cap reasons. I mean who would you rather have? Gagne or Zherdev, Walker and Leighton.
Thank God we have such an awesome GM in Holmgren.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 10:35 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yeah Gagne is washed up and clearly had to go for salary cap reasons. I mean who would you rather have? Gagne or Zherdev, Walker and Leighton.
Thank God we have such an awesome GM in Holmgren.
I still ****ing hope that we go after Gagne again. In all honesty, I'd rather have him over many other players worth 2.5M to 3.5M (going by what he would probably sign for).

Old
05-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I still ****ing hope that we go after Gagne again. In all honesty, I'd rather have him over many other players worth 2.5M to 3.5M (going by what he would probably sign for).
Gagne is the man, and I would love it if he retired with the organization, but at this point, that money is needed for a reliable starting goal tender.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 12:06 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Gagne is the man, and I would love it if he retired with the organization, but at this point, that money is needed for a reliable starting goal tender.
I wonder if we could trade Versteeg for Gagne's rights?

Old
05-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I wonder if we could trade Versteeg for Gagne's rights?
That would be a bad idea IMO. Let Versteeg play a year on Richards' wing with out a sports hernia. Granted sports hernias have a history of completely screwing guys careers up, so he may never be the same, but we'd do better to give him a shot than trade and sign Gagne in my opinion.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:21 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
That would be a bad idea IMO. Let Versteeg play a year on Richards' wing with out a sports hernia. Granted sports hernias have a history of completely screwing guys careers up, so he may never be the same, but we'd do better to give him a shot than trade and sign Gagne in my opinion.
Gagne is easily worth twice as much as Versteeg though, if not more.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:26 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Gagne is easily worth twice as much as Versteeg though, if not more.
Age.

So no.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 12:34 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Age.

So no.
He's 31. If he can play better than a 25/26 year old, age isn't much of a problem.

Old
05-22-2011, 03:39 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
He's 31. If he can play better than a 25/26 year old, age isn't much of a problem.
Age isn't a problem, but it factors into trade value.

Mark Recchi plays better than Taylor Hall right now, so does that mean he has more trade value?

I love Gagne to death, but do you honestly think a 31 year old injury-prone winger is more valuable than a (newly) 25 year old consistent 40-50 point scorer?

Remember Kovalev was traded for a very late draft pick.

Age is the difference.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 03:54 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:

Mark Recchi plays better than Taylor Hall right now, so does that mean he has more trade value?

I love Gagne to death, but do you honestly think a 31 year old injury-prone winger is more valuable than a (newly) 25 year old consistent 40-50 point scorer?

Age is the difference.
Injury prone or not, he is still clutch as hell. You know what, even if he was injured, at least I'd really want him to come back, way more than any other player in recent memory. I'd just say, we should really try to push to get him back. I might have a much better excuse to wear my Gagne jersey (it's too hot in my room to normally wear it).

Old
05-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Injury prone or not, he is still clutch as hell. You know what, even if he was injured, at least I'd really want him to come back, way more than any other player in recent memory. I'd just say, we should really try to push to get him back. I might have a much better excuse to wear my Gagne jersey (it's too hot in my room to normally wear it).
A. Sport that sucker anyway.

B. Leave your room more, lol.

Old
05-22-2011, 09:01 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I am absolutely pulling for Gagne. I watched the last half of yesterday's game on a plane and almost yelled out when Gagne scored. Very much mixed emotions though - happy for Gags and I want him to get a Cup, but sad/disgusted that it won't be as a Flyer.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:46 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I am absolutely pulling for Gagne. I watched the last half of yesterday's game on a plane and almost yelled out when Gagne scored. Very much mixed emotions though - happy for Gags and I want him to get a Cup, but sad/disgusted that it won't be as a Flyer.
My thoughts exactly.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:57 AM
tuckrr

rooting for the west:

cuver
SJ
tampa
boston

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 11:00 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:

Age is the difference.
LOL

Mark Recchi has looked so awful during the playoffs. He was the only Bruin that wasn't skating circles around us. Dud needs to retire

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 11:40 AM
trigzter

You don't have to look much further for a team that got bailed out in by the draft than the Penguins. Malkin 2nd overall in 04, behind ovechkin, crosby 1st overall in 05, jordan staal second overall in 06. Now thats a team getting bailed out by the draft. They will be competitive for as long as they can stay healthy, as all 3 of them look like career penguins at this point.

But back to Gagne. That was a feel good goal for me last night. Just good to see him put it to the Bruins again. At this point, I would say it's Roloson's series to lose. You pretty much know what you will get out of the tampa skaters, so if he plays well, they should advance.

trigzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Teezax

Love Gags but can't pull for TB to win it, just detest teams that miss the playoffs consecutively year after year and then come in and win it in one year. Give it to a team that's always there. Boston or Vancouver for me.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Fenza
G-Rouxnit

Gagne is a big part of me rooting for Tampa, but I love most of the rest of Tampa's team too. You also have to pull for Roli as well.

Fenza is offline   Reply With Quote