HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ECF: (3) Boston Bruins v. (5) Tampa Bay Lightning (BOS Wins Series 4-3)

Old
05-16-2011, 01:32 PM
ThunderRoad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
i think they're going to come out exactly like they did last game, and the series before that, and the end of the series before that.

Clog up the neutral zone, try to capitalize on the opponents mistakes and throw in a PPG in there for good measure.

The bruins need to limit their turnovers ( no news here), be more aggressive on the forcheck. And for god sakes, don't dump the puck just to dump it. oh yea, scoring on the PP would be nice lol
Give credit to Boucher because he DID change the Lightning's strategy to start game 1 (it was NOT the same as previous series, etc), hence the Bruins were prepared for them to 'come out' a certain way, and lo and behold, Tampa did not. And it is just like the Lightning coaches/players have been saying - that their system adapts to the current circumstances. It is a testament to good coaching and complete buy-in by the players.

ThunderRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:40 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Agreed on the "travesty" part, it wasnt all that bad IMO...

but about the sending a message thing, for all I know it doesnt work much in the playoffs (not even in reg season me think, we both know how it went the game following the 8-6 debacle - so much for sending a message), as people are focused on a "greater good"... as an opponent though, the message it sends is that I dont have to push your buttons too hard to get on the PP.

And if I have guys like Stamkos, Hedman, MSL, Vinnie and the deadly MaB slapper, I sure want more PPs
I suppose. You could certainly make a case on both sides I think. At the end of game 1 I think it was just a ton of frustration from Boston, knowing they just got smoked on home ice. I'd be pretty upset after that performance too!

No way to tell for sure whether the "message sending" does anything to help or hinder your chance in the next game. I don't even think you'd get an honest answer from players themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
Give credit to Boucher because he DID change the Lightning's strategy to start game 1 (it was NOT the same as previous series, etc), hence the Bruins were prepared for them to 'come out' a certain way, and lo and behold, Tampa did not. And it is just like the Lightning coaches/players have been saying - that their system adapts to the current circumstances. It is a testament to good coaching and complete buy-in by the players.
I was actually very impressed by that. Pretty much the whole 1st period Tampa came out swinging right-handed when the Bruins clearly prepared for southpaw. The Lightning had the better game plan from the very start of that one.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:42 PM
ThunderRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Depends on the situation and why Bergeron got punched. I do know that if that does happen, you should expect Downie to be dealt with immediately. And I don't mean be skating over, hands in pockets Vincent Lecavelier style. If there's one thing I love about this Bruins team this year, it's that they're done with taking crap from other teams, and as a team they've got each others backs.
It's not going to happen - Tampa is too well coached for this and it is evident by everything said by coaching/players that this is to be avoided - even Downie in a post game interview said it has been made clear to stay away from any of these antics and that he fully understood.

And from this blog:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...nforcer-debate

Thought a key piece was this part: "We saw Dominic Moore take a roundhouse right from Nathan Horton. We saw Victor Hedman get decked by a punch from Milan Lucic without retaliation. Even Vinny Lecavalier said he stopped his physical challenge to Johnny Boychuk after Boychuk slugged him because he saw Boychuk was going to get a penalty."

Boston might use physical play to get under other teams' skin, but I just don't see it happening with Tampa (unless of course we are talking something so over the line it causes injury and then the league had best hand out the discipline). So if Boston wants to continue to do this, looks like it only helps out the Lightning on the PP.

Old
05-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Therick67

Quote:
It's not going to happen - Tampa is too well coached for this and it is evident by everything said by coaching/players that this is to be avoided - even Downie in a post game interview said it has been made clear to stay away from any of these antics and that he fully understood.

And from this blog:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...nforcer-debate

Thought a key piece was this part: "We saw Dominic Moore take a roundhouse right from Nathan Horton. We saw Victor Hedman get decked by a punch from Milan Lucic without retaliation. Even Vinny Lecavalier said he stopped his physical challenge to Johnny Boychuk after Boychuk slugged him because he saw Boychuk was going to get a penalty."

Boston might use physical play to get under other teams' skin, but I just don't see it happening with Tampa (unless of course we are talking something so over the line it causes injury and then the league had best hand out the discipline). So if Boston wants to continue to do this, looks like it only helps out the Lightning on the PP.
Tampa also doesn't have the guys to match this style, so for them to try and match the Bruins in that department wouldn't be very effective.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Fear The Scar
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyonder91 View Post
back on topic

i think next game is going to be much different... the first game was pretty much decided by a few bruin mistakes over the course of 2 minutes and Tampa just protected the lead for the rest of the game
Wait what?

They put 2 more biscuits in the basket,... so they "didnt" just sit back and protect their lead

The Bruins put their 2nd goal in with like 1 minute left in the game and that was pulling the goalie

LMAO- they game was decided by a few Bruins mistakes?

1 maybe.. after that the Bruins got beat like they stole something..

You keep clicking those heels together Dorothy.. You're not in Kansas anymore

Fear The Scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:21 PM
ThunderRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Tampa also doesn't have the guys to match this style, so for them to try and match the Bruins in that department wouldn't be very effective.
True (although there are a few guys sprinkled in the line-up who can). Yet because Tampa is not going to get involved in this type of play (for various reasons), what is the point of Boston trying to drag them into it? Tampa will use it to their advantage.

Old
05-16-2011, 02:22 PM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
Habs fans are the ones who consistently boo the American anthem
Ok, I understand that you're extremely sensitive about the national anthem and it was extremely classless to boo the anthem, but it literally happened once or twice, years ago when the US/IRAQ war started.

Habs fans don't consistently boo the American anthem, the organization has a lot of respect for American born players and the US as a whole (our last owner was American, and we have lots of American players on the roster).

It's time to get over it and stop pretending that Montreal is one big America hating city.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:22 PM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
huh... it's OK to hate us... but just so you know, it's the B/TB serie topic...
you do know it took a whopping 7 posts in this new thread to get a troll post from a jilted hab fan right? Your charade is only working in your head.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:24 PM
gn2007

Whichever team buries there chances and capitalize on rebounds will win this series. Special teams will come in handy for sure.

gn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Therick67

Quote:
True (although there are a few guys sprinkled in the line-up who can). Yet because Tampa is not going to get involved in this type of play (for various reasons), what is the point of Boston trying to drag them into it? Tampa will use it to their advantage.
I think it was just frustration at the end of the game, Lucic & Horton are emotion guys, who play on the first line. It's not like the Bruins sent out the goons to try and start something.

Some are making it sound like the Bruins where trying to start fights all night.

Old
05-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Exactly this and why wouldn't you switch it up to a LWL with an active fore-checker from time to time.
After watching the Habs befuddle the B's with it, causing turn over after turnover for 7 games and knowing you have the speed to do the exact same thing, why wouldn't you do it.

I said it over and over, lock up the B's forwards and make their D carry the puck as much as possible. The Habs just didn't have enough firepower to finish the job, the Bolts do.
Every time you see a Bolts forward fore-checking with another circling in and skating with a B's forward as he leaves the zone, you know they're LWLing.
It's really not rocket science to figure what scheme is being employed (although, you might think so based on what some of these moron announcers and colour guys call them heh).

That was the biggest mistake the Flyer's committed imo, they sent 2 hard on the fore-check leaving the B's forwards far too much space and got burned over and over.

Last edited by Rhiessan71: 05-16-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear The Scar View Post
Wait what?

They put 2 more biscuits in the basket,... so they "didnt" just sit back and protect their lead

The Bruins put their 2nd goal in with like 1 minute left in the game and that was pulling the goalie

You don't think the Bruins hurt themselves with those soft goals?

Tampa played a very good game, but I don't look at it as if the Bruins where dominated. Thats the worst game they've played in the playoffs, and I think you will see a much better Bruins team on Tuesday.

Old
05-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Fear The Scar
Rookie User

Quote:
You don't think the Bruins hurt themselves with those soft goals?

Tampa played a very good game, but I don't look at it as if the Bruins where dominated. Thats the worst game they've played in the playoffs, and I think you will see a much better Bruins team on Tuesday.
What "soft goals" do you speak of?

Fear The Scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:32 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Exactly. Ok, there's Malone and Downie but beyond them? But what's the point anyway? If the B's want to goon it up and take penalties we will gladly take those PP opportunities.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Therick67

Quote:
What "soft goals" do you speak of?
The one that Kaberle gave away at the side of the net, and the one that went under Thomas arm. Those where charmin soft.

Old
05-16-2011, 02:35 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
It's one thing to have issues with what Lucic & Horton did, or to have grudges against Bruins fans (God knows I have the same for Habs fans), but to completely make up a disgusting rumor of what Bruins fans did during the moment of silence is more proof that there is absolutely no bottom for Canadiens fans to hit. An absolute disgrace and I wish there were more Habs fans here to admonish this crap. It's disgusting.

Habs fans are the ones who consistently boo the American anthem (chanting USA is pretty stupid, especially when Thomas is your only American player, but not near the level of booing a national anthem). Habs fans are the ones who called 911 and forced the start of a police investigation into a hockey play. Habs fans are the ones polluting multiple threads about a series you have nothing to do with (I really wish there were more Flyers, Hawks etc. fans in here)

You are the ones embarrassing yourselves. I would feel sorry for you if you weren't such nuisances who disrupt the enjoyment of conversations between intelligent, rational fans.

As for the series, I hope all the Bruins haters have enjoyed themselves the last few days, because you're going to see a much better performance from them for the remainder of the series. I know the Lightning are unbeatable and the Bruins aren't very good, enough of you have said it so it must be true, but live it up the next couple days, because things will change and it's a long series.

And when the Bruins come back strong and shove it in your face, I won't be here to gloat about it because most of you are too shameful and pathetic to be worthy of an I-told-you-so. Even though the Bruins are my team that I've loved for 30 years, and they're actually in the playoffs, unlike a certain group of diving whiny pansies that stopped playing a month ago.
Deny it all you want, but Bruins fans WERE screaming "Rangers suck" during the moment of silence.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Exactly. Ok, there's Malone and Downie but beyond them? But what's the point anyway? If the B's want to goon it up and take penalties we will gladly take those PP opportunities.
Goon it up? two guys on the same play with under a minute left threw punches. The game was long decided by then.

Old
05-16-2011, 02:49 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Goon it up? two guys on the same play with under a minute left threw punches. The game was long decided by then.
Thats kind of the definition of gooning it up. No?

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Beyonder91
Seids the Machine

Quote:
Wait what?

yes... a powerplay goal and an empty net goal... is this supposed to tell me they were pushing the play to score more? or that Boychuk took a stupid penalty in Tampa's zone for the first and the Bruins pulled their goalie for the second allowing Gagne to score from center ice?

Quote:
correct

Quote:

first goal seidenberg reverses the puck behind his net (mistake) directly to the tampa player and proceeds to lose his stick so he can't clear the puck in front of the net

second goal kaberle turns the puck over right beside the net (mistake)

third goal Thomas arguably should have had... (mistake)

did you watch the game? or do you just not know what mistakes in hockey are?

Last edited by Beyonder91: 05-16-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Beyonder91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:53 PM
ThunderRoad

Quote:
Is that not an example of throwing some cheap shots, regardless of when in the game it occurred? Tampa got PPs out of it and Boucher ended up respecting your team there at the end.

It was mentioned here numerous times following the game that the punches were meant to send a message for game 2. Not that it will be a message Tampa will listen to whatsoever. It was mentioned pre-series that the Lightning would not be able to withstand the physicality coming their way, which have heard before in other series, Tampa seems fully able to take it and continue with their game plan.

Another post game article had a quote from a Boston player how Tampa was walking away and it was infuriating. Which sounds like Tampa is the team getting under Boston's skin so far.

Old
05-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Thats kind of the definition of gooning it up. No?
I think it was frustration, not a tactic, If that makes sense. If they wanted to goon it up to change thet game, they may have done it at a point where it might have been useful.

Old
05-16-2011, 02:56 PM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Deny it all you want, but Bruins fans WERE screaming "Rangers suck" during the moment of silence.
show it. Post something besides " i heard it"

For hab fans to even talk about the class of other teams and their fan bases confuses me.
you remember this?
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...kes_banana_ap/

even if the accusations you make are true (which you have yet to prove it) does the actions of a few define the entire fanbase? Cuz if so, the link above destroys your fellow fanbase

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:00 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyonder91 View Post
yes... a powerplay goal and an empty net goal... is this supposed to tell me they were pushing the play to score more? or that Boychuk took a stupid penalty in Tampa's zone for the first and the Bruins pulled their goalie for the second?

correct

first goal seidenberg reverses the puck behind his net (mistake) directly to the tampa player and proceeds to lose his stick so he can't clear the puck in front of the net

second goal kaberle turns the puck over right beside the net (mistake)

third goal Thomas arguably should have had... (mistake)

did you watch the game? or do you just not know what mistakes in hockey are?
Every single goal in the NHL that is scored could be traced back to some type of "mistake".

The first goal was called strong forechecking from the Tampa 3rd line, a good keep in at the point and getting it on net by Hedman, and then the Lightning pouncing on the 3rd rebound, while 3 Bruins stood around watching.

The second goal was soft by Thomas no doubt, but Clark went coast to coast and beat 3 Bruins players to create that chance.

The third goal was a mistake by Kaberle due to once again, strong forechecking. Thomas was caught off guard but made an amazing first save but once again Bruins players standing around and Purcell got another whack at it to put it in.

The point here is its not like the Bruins were putting the puck into their own net. The Lightning caused a lot of those mistakes with their forecheck. On top of that, even if you want to call all three of those goals soft, Thomas saved what SHOULD have been at least 4 other 10 bell chances for a goal.

I hope the Bruins decide to come out and play hockey in game 2 and not just try to run around trying to hurt people like they did near the end of game 1. Id rather see hockey than an MMA match personally.

Old
05-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post

I hope the Bruins decide to come out and play hockey in game 2 and not just try to run around trying to hurt people like they did near the end of game 1. Id rather see hockey than an MMA match personally.
Do you think you might be a bit over the top with this?

Old
05-16-2011, 03:05 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Do you think you might be a bit over the top with this?
Nope because its not the first time Ive seen the Bruins do it this year. Let alone the first time to TB. I clearly remember another cheapshot brawl from tweedle dee and tweedle dum earlier in the season.

Again, I want to watch hockey. Not watch the two morons with IQs lower than their jersey numbers punch people thinking its cool.