HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2012 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships

Old
05-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Rob

vCash: 500
2012 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships

Hosted in Stockholm, Sweden and Helsinki, Finland.

Anyone already with plans on attending the medal round games?

Also, which city hosts the the Gold Medal game?

Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 07:51 PM
SPMaximus
Re-sign=/=Resign

vCash: 50
i think finland hosts the 2012 gold medal game and sweden the 2013 gold medal game

SPMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 07:52 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Hosted in Stockholm, Sweden and Helsinki, Finland.

Anyone already with plans on attending the medal round games?

Also, which city hosts the the Gold Medal game?
im thinking of going to a few games in helsinki and the gold medal match is held in helsinki

vsk92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Tissotti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMaximus View Post
i think finland hosts the 2012 gold medal game and sweden the 2013 gold medal game
Aye
I wonder what's the host city for 2013 from Finland will be as the new Tampere arena wont be ready before 2014.
I'll try to get tickets for the 2012 and if they are held again in Helsinki in 2013 i'll try to get some tickets for that too. Not liking the prices so far though.

Tissotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 11:31 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tissotti View Post
Aye
I wonder what's the host city for 2013 from Finland will be as the new Tampere arena wont be ready before 2014.
I'll try to get tickets for the 2012 and if they are held again in Helsinki in 2013 i'll try to get some tickets for that too. Not liking the prices so far though.

According to Wiki for 2013:

Host cities have been confirmed as Globe Arena, Stockholm (13,850 permitted seats) and Hartwall Arena, Helsinki (13,506 permitted seats). Capacity has been permitted to these numbers due to modern health and safety rules. Malmö Arena were originally planned to co-host according to the Swedish bid, but the Swedish Hockey Federation decided to drop Malmö as a host city under pressure from the Malmöphobic Sweden Democrats when there was decided for a collaboration between Sweden and Finland[1]. Tampere was also a candidate to be the Finnish venue, but due to the delay in construction of the new Tampereen Keskusareena Helsinki was named as co-host.[2]

So the same as 2012 looks like

KaylaJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:56 AM
ES

Preliminary groups are not yet announced. Usually it is by the current world rankings but since Finland is second and Sweden third, they would be on the same group so they have to make some adjustment there.

I would expect Sweden and Canada to swap, so it would be:

Gr Sweden: Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic, Germany, Norway, Latvia, Denmark, Italy
Gr Finland: Finland, Canada, USA, Switzerland, Slovakia, Belarus, France, Kazakhstan.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 04:12 AM
Finnswiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES View Post
Preliminary groups are not yet announced. Usually it is by the current world rankings but since Finland is second and Sweden third, they would be on the same group so they have to make some adjustment there.

I would expect Sweden and Canada to swap, so it would be:

Gr Sweden: Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic, Germany, Norway, Latvia, Denmark, Italy
Gr Finland: Finland, Canada, USA, Switzerland, Slovakia, Belarus, France, Kazakhstan.
But the preliminary round is divided in 4 groups with 4 teams in each group isn't it? Or do they want to change the format next year?

Finnswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 04:17 AM
ElHefe

Finland will win the gold again! Heja Finland!

ElHefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 04:42 AM
Phenomenon

This win will boost the ticket sales for the next year. The final and the bronze medal game are played on May 20th in Helsinki.

Tickets for the games in Finland

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 04:50 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon View Post
This win will boost the ticket sales for the next year. The final and the bronze medal game are played on May 20th in Helsinki.

Tickets for the games in Finland
Yes it will, its going to sold out much earlier than it would have. I personally feel like i just must get that Sami Kapanen or Teemu Selanne four game tickets-pack... right now!

QnebO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnswiss View Post
But the preliminary round is divided in 4 groups with 4 teams in each group isn't it? Or do they want to change the format next year?
It's two groups of eight as of the next tournament. That move is supposed to help fix some attendance issues, as the qualification round didn't have good enough early sales. It's easier to buy tickets to a game if you actually know who is playing in it

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:15 AM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post

Host cities have been confirmed as Globe Arena, Stockholm (13,850 permitted seats) and Hartwall Arena, Helsinki (13,506 permitted seats). Capacity has been permitted to these numbers due to modern health and safety rules. Malmö Arena were originally planned to co-host according to the Swedish bid, but the Swedish Hockey Federation decided to drop Malmö as a host city under pressure from the Malmöphobic Sweden Democrats when there was decided for a collaboration between Sweden and Finland[1]. Tampere was also a candidate to be the Finnish venue, but due to the delay in construction of the new Tampereen Keskusareena Helsinki was named as co-host.[2]

what?

His Beardliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Hockeynomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Yes it will, its going to sold out much earlier than it would have. I personally feel like i just must get that Sami Kapanen or Teemu Selanne four game tickets-pack... right now!
can you explain the story in your avatar?

Hockeynomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:43 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:

This can't be true?
Not that Malmö would be a wise choice to begin with, but still.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:06 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynomad View Post
can you explain the story in your avatar?
Its Raimo Helminen in the Ceremony right after hes last National team game. He is probably Greatest legend of Finnish hockey, even while he's not that known for example in North America. He played in Finnish national team in and between the years 1984-2008. He had something like over 300 games in national team, most points ever ect.

Also he has played in six olympics, and it stands as a World record. He has ten medals in World Championship and Olympics. One of them is gold, six silver. More than from hes achievements however, he is known from hes "gretzky-like" ability to see the game and make clever and great passes. He is specially known from "Raipen lätty" (Raipe's saucer passes).

After that game they freezed hes jersey and had other ceremonies, including that whats happening in my avatar. In Finland, Helminen will forevere be one of the greatest ever to play hockey.

Old
05-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Its Raimo Helminen in the Ceremony right after hes last National team game. He is probably Greatest legend of Finnish hockey, even while he's not that known for example in North America. He played in Finnish national team in and between the years 1984-2008. He had something like over 300 games in national team, most points ever ect.

Also he has played in six olympics, and it stands as a World record. He has ten medals in World Championship and Olympics. One of them is gold, six silver. More than from hes achievements however, he is known from hes "gretzky-like" ability to see the game and make clever and great passes. He is specially known from "Raipen lätty" (Raipe's saucer passes).

After that game they freezed hes jersey and had other ceremonies, including that whats happening in my avatar. In Finland, Helminen will forevere be one of the greatest ever to play hockey.

Yep easily NHL top-6 level player in his best years

Tuomaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:33 AM
TollefsenFan

And the winner is????? NORWAY thank u thank u thank u THE MOUNTAIN APES ARE GOING FOR THE GOLD MEDAL yeeeaaaaahhhhh

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:38 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TollefsenFan View Post
And the winner is????? NORWAY thank u thank u thank u THE MOUNTAIN APES ARE GOING FOR THE GOLD MEDAL yeeeaaaaahhhhh

fixed yt linking

Old
05-16-2011, 09:41 AM
TollefsenFan

Quote:
fixed yt linking
Thx was about to do it myself Alt for Norge

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Finnswiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
It's two groups of eight as of the next tournament. That move is supposed to help fix some attendance issues, as the qualification round didn't have good enough early sales. It's easier to buy tickets to a game if you actually know who is playing in it
Ah ok, thks for information. So there will be no more a qualification round? Do they play in each group against each other and the first four in every group are qualified for the quarterfinal?

Quarterfinals are then:

1st group A - 4th group B
4th group A - 1st group B
2nd group A - 3rd group B
3rd group A - 2nd group B

Is that correct?

Finnswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:03 PM
ES

I think they do the same thing as in 2008, so that quarters will be inside the group to ensure that Finland and Sweden have their quarterfinal at home.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 04:42 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Beardliness View Post
what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
This can't be true?
Not that Malmö would be a wise choice to begin with, but still.
Yeah, I wanted to understand more about that, but I cannot understand the link given:

It is in Swedish and I don't get it all.

Old
05-16-2011, 05:24 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Quote:
Yeah, I wanted to understand more about that, but I cannot understand the link given:

It is in Swedish and I don't get it all.
It says:

World Championships in Sweden & Finland in both 2012 and 2013.

Stockholm and Helsinki will host each group.

Malmö got ditched because of co-arrangement.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Yeah the thing about the Sweden Democrats makes no sense what so ever, possibly a troll or something on wikipedia or whereever it was.

I'll personally be attending most of the games in Stockholm, I hope it'll be a nice (couple of) tournament.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 05:50 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

thanks. and too bad, i wanted to know more about "Malmöphobic Sweden Democrats"