HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Vizzie235
mispelled user title

vCash: 500
Hi guys,
For those that live in Calgary, have you been to the Craft Beer Market? And if so, how was it? Also, do you know if they have a beer passport like how Bottlescrew Bills and 1410 have?

Summer beer of choice: Hoegaarden

Thanks,

Vizzie235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizzie Nuts View Post
Hi guys,
For those that live in Calgary, have you been to the Craft Beer Market? And if so, how was it? Also, do you know if they have a beer passport like how Bottlescrew Bills and 1410 have?

Summer beer of choice: Hoegaarden

Thanks,
I plan on going there Friday when I head down to Calgary. Their website says that they will be starting a beer club but at this point it is not in place yet. You get a stamp every time you try a different beer on tap and once you have tried all 100 beers you get your name up on a wall or something like that.

It would be awesome if they got this place in Edmonton. It looks super promising and they have the entire list of beers on their website.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:36 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 855
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldrahn View Post
Just wondering if any of y'all are on RateBeer or Beer Advocate?

I prefer dark beers - Porters and Stouts, even on 90° days like today. But I will drink anything quality.

I'm not familiar with Innis and Gunn, I'll have to see if we have it down here. Interesting to see this style Oak Aged, I'm used to the Imperial Stouts being oak aged, like Great Divide oak aged Yeti.
I'm on both but only use Ratebeer. Same username.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:07 PM
The Pouzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I plan on going there Friday when I head down to Calgary. Their website says that they will be starting a beer club but at this point it is not in place yet. You get a stamp every time you try a different beer on tap and once you have tried all 100 beers you get your name up on a wall or something like that.

It would be awesome if they got this place in Edmonton. It looks super promising and they have the entire list of beers on their website.
I went to the Craft Beer Market the other night and it was ok. They seemed to be out of a lot of beers and it was expensive for what was available.
Depending on what type of beer you're in the mood for Belgo on 4th St and 8th Ave is good for Euros, and I always like having lunch at Wild Rose at the Curie Barracks. It's nice because they tend to have at least one of their seasonals on tap as well as the rest of their regulars, and the you know the beer hasn't been sitting around for along time.

The Pouzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pouzar View Post
I went to the Craft Beer Market the other night and it was ok. They seemed to be out of a lot of beers and it was expensive for what was available.
Depending on what type of beer you're in the mood for Belgo on 4th St and 8th Ave is good for Euros, and I always like having lunch at Wild Rose at the Curie Barracks. It's nice because they tend to have at least one of their seasonals on tap as well as the rest of their regulars, and the you know the beer hasn't been sitting around for along time.
What are their prices like?

It's understandable that they would have issues like this just after opening. If they don't fix them they will be out of business sooner than later. Gotta figure out a better inventory system for sure by the sounds of it. It's a two way street really because until they open for business they don't really know which beers will last longer than others.

Old
06-22-2011, 12:42 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 100
Lucky Lager

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:44 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
What are their prices like?

It's understandable that they would have issues like this just after opening. If they don't fix them they will be out of business sooner than later. Gotta figure out a better inventory system for sure by the sounds of it. It's a two way street really because until they open for business they don't really know which beers will last longer than others.
I had an Erdinger was $9.05. Plus a beer flight (samples of 5 different beer styles, can't choose your own) also $9.05. North America beer I think was about $6 or so. A bit pricey, but still, the selection is great. As was already said, there was a lot that was out.

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
I had an Erdinger was $9.05. Plus a beer flight (samples of 5 different beer styles, can't choose your own) also $9.05. North America beer I think was about $6 or so. A bit pricey, but still, the selection is great. As was already said, there was a lot that was out.
Cool I just went there last night and thought the place was fantastic. Good specials on (half price appys- lots of selections, and all their $6 beers were on for $4).

My cousin got the beer flight and it was a 4oz. sample of 6 different beers for $9 and believe it is on special for $6 on Mondays. But he was able to choose the beers he wanted, couldn't choose from the entire list of 100 beers, but the waitress pulled out a list of about 20 beers that he could choose from that had about 6 crossed off because she said they were out but most of what was out was now restocked.

Overall I thought the place was pretty decent and would go back in a heartbeat.

They also carry a handful of seasonal beers from random micro brewers across the country like Paddy Whack, Ambers Brewing, Granville Island and Alley Kat.

Seems like they also have decent specials everyday of the week as well.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:13 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
Cool I just went there last night and thought the place was fantastic. Good specials on (half price appys- lots of selections, and all their $6 beers were on for $4).

My cousin got the beer flight and it was a 4oz. sample of 6 different beers for $9 and believe it is on special for $6 on Mondays. But he was able to choose the beers he wanted, couldn't choose from the entire list of 100 beers, but the waitress pulled out a list of about 20 beers that he could choose from that had about 6 crossed off because she said they were out but most of what was out was now restocked.

Overall I thought the place was pretty decent and would go back in a heartbeat.

They also carry a handful of seasonal beers from random micro brewers across the country like Paddy Whack, Ambers Brewing, Granville Island and Alley Kat.

Seems like they also have decent specials everyday of the week as well.
Yeah I didn't mention the specials. Looks like you came at a good time. Glad you enjoyed it

I will go back VERY soon myself I would love to join the beer club and see how fast I can drink all 100 beers

Old
06-28-2011, 01:16 AM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 50
I stopped by Sherbrooke liqour the other day.

My reaction was the equivalent of this:

I've tried all forms of Innis and Gunn now, and I believe Blonde is my favorite even though I'm primarily a Stout drinker.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:52 AM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

^^^^Best commercial ever!

Heineken is not good beer, but their commercials are priceless

Old
06-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Hoogaar23

Going to Scotland and England for work in a couple of week, and I just booked my flights with a stopover in Dublin for a few days Going to go check out the Guinness Storehouse while I'm there. Pretty excited about that.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Killer Z

My top 2 favorites are Pilsner Urquell and Lowenbrau.

Killer Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
You get a stamp every time you try a different beer on tap and once you have tried all 100 beers you get your name up on a wall or something like that.
Hahaha! :-) Crazy but fun. My name and perhaps my photo on the wall for everybody to witness?

If you try all 100 beers really quickly what happens then? ;-)

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
Hahaha! :-) Crazy but fun. My name and perhaps my photo on the wall for everybody to witness?

If you try all 100 beers really quickly what happens then? ;-)
You go the bathroom a lot at first and then you make your way to emergency.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Giving Alley Kat another chance.

I tried their "Charlie flint" lager (couldn't remember which brew people were praising.)

My first and lasting impression? Routine, no character, no distinctive flavor, aroma, and a beer trying to be something else but with no personality. Didn't taste alive but more like sludge.

I tried drinking a bottle on two different occasions and each time almost wanting the bottle to be finished. While a quality brew always leaves one wanting more. Of savoring it or chugging it but wanting more.

This beer could turn me half mormon. I'd never have a second. Unless anything else was in the fridge.

As previously mentioned it seems almost always my experience with Alley Kat that there is something wrong with their shipping, storage, handling. This went down worse than a standard beer. Almost as if it was compromised. I don't think I've ever had a good experience with Alley Kat. Curious if people consider their kegs a much better preserved brew?

edit: just found a link that talks about an Alley Kat brew that discusses my identical frustration. Indeed some beers just don't seem to ship well at all while others are fine. I think alley Kat brews in general suffer in shipping. Not sure why that is.

http://www.onbeer.org/2010/10/a-less...ransformation/

Last edited by Replacement: 06-28-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Awesome, thanks for that article Replacement. I've tried the Flint in both bottle and keg and I would ahve to say it defintiely tastes better in the keg. this is also why I'm stoked about Craft Beer Market in Calgary. They are the opposite of the Sugar Bowl, they have an abundance of beer on tap and a few in the bottle whereas the Sugar bowl has a few on tap and an abundance in a bottle.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for that article Replacement. I've tried the Flint in both bottle and keg and I would ahve to say it defintiely tastes better in the keg. this is also why I'm stoked about Craft Beer Market in Calgary. They are the opposite of the Sugar Bowl, they have an abundance of beer on tap and a few in the bottle whereas the Sugar bowl has a few on tap and an abundance in a bottle.
Good link and reading there as well as all the other pages he links too. Lots of info.

Yep tap is the way to go if the establishment looks after the taps properly and keeps things clean. Busy places as well where the kegs or whatever don't sit around a long time and keep flowing. For some reason some beers (and I'm pretty sure Alley Kat) just taste a lot better direct from the source or on tap.

I'm almost wondering if its a lack of preservative thing or something. Its odd that I can get bottled from many places that seem to be in better state then what is here locally.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Going along with the beer on tap is better....BUT, everytime I've tried Canadian on tap it sucks and has a weird "tinny" flavour to it, especially at the end of the keg. I do agree that most taste much better from the tap, but are there other ones that just sorta suck balls on tap, like Canadian?

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Redbarchettayyz

vCash: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Good link and reading there as well as all the other pages he links too. Lots of info.

Yep tap is the way to go if the establishment looks after the taps properly and keeps things clean. Busy places as well where the kegs or whatever don't sit around a long time and keep flowing. For some reason some beers (and I'm pretty sure Alley Kat) just taste a lot better direct from the source or on tap.

I'm almost wondering if its a lack of preservative thing or something. Its odd that I can get bottled from many places that seem to be in better state then what is here locally.
The lack of preservative thing makes a lot of sense. I've only had good experiences with Alley Kat, but I've also only ever bought it directly at the brewery, never even at a store in town. I'm almost tempted to try a bottle from a local liquor store to test, but I'd rather not if the difference is that pronounced.

Redbarchettayyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Going along with the beer on tap is better....BUT, everytime I've tried Canadian on tap it sucks and has a weird "tinny" flavour to it, especially at the end of the keg. I do agree that most taste much better from the tap, but are there other ones that just sorta suck balls on tap, like Canadian?
Very true that some beers probably work opposite. I'd say the ones that do are definitely the ones that shouldn't even call themselves beers. Canadian would definitely fit into this category.

Speaking of Molson, I just found out that they(actually a subsidiary of theirs) bought out Granville Island Brewing a couple years ago. Kinda sucks, but not much you can do.

Old
07-02-2011, 02:09 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbarchettayyz View Post
The lack of preservative thing makes a lot of sense. I've only had good experiences with Alley Kat, but I've also only ever bought it directly at the brewery, never even at a store in town. I'm almost tempted to try a bottle from a local liquor store to test, but I'd rather not if the difference is that pronounced.
I've only bought the bottled stuff from liquor stores around town and I've never had a problem with them. Not the best stuff in the world, but it certainly isn't close to being the worst.

Also like I said above the Flint we bought in the keg from Alley Kat tasted better than the bottles for sure. But that's just a given.

I've really been getting into Ambers Brewing Co lately and Pumphouse brewery. Just bough a 6 pack of the Pumphouse Scoth Ale. First couple were rather odd as I never tasted a beer that was so smoky. But when I had another today I actually didn't mind it at all.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Redbarchettayyz

vCash: 1002
Quote:
I've only bought the bottled stuff from liquor stores around town and I've never had a problem with them. Not the best stuff in the world, but it certainly isn't close to being the worst.

Also like I said above the Flint we bought in the keg from Alley Kat tasted better than the bottles for sure. But that's just a given.

I've really been getting into Ambers Brewing Co lately and Pumphouse brewery. Just bough a 6 pack of the Pumphouse Scoth Ale. First couple were rather odd as I never tasted a beer that was so smoky. But when I had another today I actually didn't mind it at all.
That's good to hear. I really enjoy what I've had from Ambers, including the Aussie mountain pepper berry and the chocolate stout, but I've never tried Pumphouse. I'll have to add that to the list.

Redbarchettayyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Peter Zezel

vCash: 50
Pumphouse's Blueberry Ale & Scotch Ale are the only ones I've seen consistantly at the store. I want to try their Fire Chief's Red Ale, heard it's really good.

Has anyone tried a beer from Flying Dog? I had one of theirs years ago and hated it, but I want to try one again.

Last edited by Peter Zezel: 07-03-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Peter Zezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
Pumphouse's Blueberry Ale & Scotch Ale are the only ones I've seen consistantly at the store. I want to try their Fire Chief's Red Ale, heard it's really good.

Has anyone tried a beer from Flying Dog? I had one of theirs years ago and hated it, but I want to try one again.
Yeah I'm not sure why, but the majority of liquor stores around Edmonton will only carry the Pump House blueberry with the odd couple maybe carrying one other one. I found this one liquor store in Leduc on the weekend that carries all the Pump House main brews. Next on my list is the firecheif red and the canadian cream ale.

As for flying dog, I have never heard of it.