HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2011, 10:50 AM
  #251
Truth Movement
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Giving Alley Kat another chance.

I tried their "Charlie flint" lager (couldn't remember which brew people were praising.)

My first and lasting impression? Routine, no character, no distinctive flavor, aroma, and a beer trying to be something else but with no personality. Didn't taste alive but more like sludge.

I tried drinking a bottle on two different occasions and each time almost wanting the bottle to be finished. While a quality brew always leaves one wanting more. Of savoring it or chugging it but wanting more.

This beer could turn me half mormon. I'd never have a second. Unless anything else was in the fridge.

As previously mentioned it seems almost always my experience with Alley Kat that there is something wrong with their shipping, storage, handling. This went down worse than a standard beer. Almost as if it was compromised. I don't think I've ever had a good experience with Alley Kat. Curious if people consider their kegs a much better preserved brew?

edit: just found a link that talks about an Alley Kat brew that discusses my identical frustration. Indeed some beers just don't seem to ship well at all while others are fine. I think alley Kat brews in general suffer in shipping. Not sure why that is.

http://www.onbeer.org/2010/10/a-less...ransformation/
Basing your opinion of a brewery on a friggin' lager is short-sighted at best. I just picked up Alley Kat/Sherbrooke's Glenda Sherbrooke, which is Alley Kat's Olde Deuteronomy Barley Wine (11% ABV roughly). aged in whiskey barrells. The resulting beer is 18.5% ABV. Pumped to try it out, but must tread lightly. Also picked up Brew Dog's Tokyo Oak Aged Imperial Stout (18.2% ABV). Has anyone tried Brew Dog's Penguin beer? It's 32% ABV, the strongest beer available in Canada, but it's also going for $70.

Truth Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:19 PM
  #252
Hoogaar23
Registered User
 
Hoogaar23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah I'm not sure why, but the majority of liquor stores around Edmonton will only carry the Pump House blueberry with the odd couple maybe carrying one other one. I found this one liquor store in Leduc on the weekend that carries all the Pump House main brews. Next on my list is the firecheif red and the canadian cream ale.

As for flying dog, I have never heard of it.
It's "Cadian Cream Ale". And it's awesome on tap. Bottles are not too bad, but on tap, it's spectacular.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:23 PM
  #253
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Movement View Post
Basing your opinion of a brewery on a friggin' lager is short-sighted at best. I just picked up Alley Kat/Sherbrooke's Glenda Sherbrooke, which is Alley Kat's Olde Deuteronomy Barley Wine (11% ABV roughly). aged in whiskey barrells. The resulting beer is 18.5% ABV. Pumped to try it out, but must tread lightly. Also picked up Brew Dog's Tokyo Oak Aged Imperial Stout (18.2% ABV). Has anyone tried Brew Dog's Penguin beer? It's 32% ABV, the strongest beer available in Canada, but it's also going for $70.
Well what Alley Kat do you suggest then other than the Glenda Sherbrooke which is clearly not for everyone?

Theres basically 4 types of Alley Kat bottled available here in the Millwoods burbs. I'm not near any specialty shops that I know of.

I've tried several different Alley Kats brews through the years and have never been impressed. For the money I'd stick with any import.

Its kind of like drinking domestic wine 20 yrs ago. The product wasn't up to Euro standards. May as well drink the real thing. Not some local attempt at it.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:10 AM
  #254
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well what Alley Kat do you suggest then other than the Glenda Sherbrooke which is clearly not for everyone?

Theres basically 4 types of Alley Kat bottled available here in the Millwoods burbs. I'm not near any specialty shops that I know of.

I've tried several different Alley Kats brews through the years and have never been impressed. For the money I'd stick with any import.

Its kind of like drinking domestic wine 20 yrs ago. The product wasn't up to Euro standards. May as well drink the real thing. Not some local attempt at it.
Fair enough, different strokes for different folks. But the closest place to you that would sell an assortment of different beers is Keg n' Cork on 99th street and 34th Ave. They have a few of the Alley Kat big bottle series.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:11 AM
  #255
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
It's "Cadian Cream Ale". And it's awesome on tap. Bottles are not too bad, but on tap, it's spectacular.
Awesome, the Scotch Ale is really growing on me. After my first one I never thought I'd drink the other 5, I'm now down to 2. I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to drive to Moncton when we arrive in St. John off the cruise ship in October, so far she isn't quite biting.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:06 AM
  #256
millax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well what Alley Kat do you suggest then other than the Glenda Sherbrooke which is clearly not for everyone?

Theres basically 4 types of Alley Kat bottled available here in the Millwoods burbs. I'm not near any specialty shops that I know of.

I've tried several different Alley Kats brews through the years and have never been impressed. For the money I'd stick with any import.

Its kind of like drinking domestic wine 20 yrs ago. The product wasn't up to Euro standards. May as well drink the real thing. Not some local attempt at it.
Try giving their new Hefeweizen a try (the newest in their big bottle series) or if you must stick with the original brews I love the full moon. It is a great hoppy pale ale that goes down well on a hot day.

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:21 AM
  #257
Truth Movement
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Yeah, the Full Moon is a very steady, sufficiently hoppy pale ale. It's not rewriting the book on pale ales, but it's a fine representation of the form. Their Amber was one of my first beer loves, lots of chocolate and caramel notes for a style that is often so much less nuanced.

Of course the Olde Deuteronomy is essential, although if you're not a barley wine fan then it may be a tough sell.

Their big bottle series has provided a few winners like the Three Bears Oatmeal Stout and the Cascadian Dark Ale.

But I think you've kind of got your mind set on not liking Alley Kat, Replacement, so I suggest you just skip over them all. Judging by your post history, you're a pretty stubborn fellow (no offense) and tend to play "Devil's Advocate." If you don't want to like it, the monks of Belgium and hippies of Portland couldn't sway your opinion.

Truth Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:32 AM
  #258
Hoogaar23
Registered User
 
Hoogaar23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Awesome, the Scotch Ale is really growing on me. After my first one I never thought I'd drink the other 5, I'm now down to 2. I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to drive to Moncton when we arrive in St. John off the cruise ship in October, so far she isn't quite biting.
Come on over. I'll take you to the Pump House About an hour and a half from Saint John. Saint John stinks anyway.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:50 AM
  #259
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Come on over. I'll take you to the Pump House About an hour and a half from Saint John. Saint John stinks anyway.
Yeah we are not finding a lot to do in Saint John right now and I definitely don't wanna go to the pissy Moosehead beer factory.

edit: Oh yeah that was the issue when I looked at driving there. We have to be back in Saint John by 3pm and the pub doesn't open until noon so that would only give us about an hour at the pub and then have to book it back to Saint John.


Last edited by Reimer: 07-05-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:13 PM
  #260
Hoogaar23
Registered User
 
Hoogaar23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah we are not finding a lot to do in Saint John right now and I definitely don't wanna go to the pissy Moosehead beer factory.

edit: Oh yeah that was the issue when I looked at driving there. We have to be back in Saint John by 3pm and the pub doesn't open until noon so that would only give us about an hour at the pub and then have to book it back to Saint John.
Ah - yeah, not much time.

Well, you can check out the Saint John ale house. I think they sometimes have Pumphouse brew on tap, and usually have Picaroon's (Fredericton brewery) which have several pretty good offerings.

http://www.saintjohnalehouse.com/dri...gories/view/19

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:34 PM
  #261
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by millax View Post
Try giving their new Hefeweizen a try (the newest in their big bottle series) or if you must stick with the original brews I love the full moon. It is a great hoppy pale ale that goes down well on a hot day.
Thanks for that. If I can find it, I'll give it a try, maybe its at the place Reimer mentioned above. I have no particular desire to stick to the original brews its just all that I find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Movement View Post
Yeah, the Full Moon is a very steady, sufficiently hoppy pale ale. It's not rewriting the book on pale ales, but it's a fine representation of the form. Their Amber was one of my first beer loves, lots of chocolate and caramel notes for a style that is often so much less nuanced.

Of course the Olde Deuteronomy is essential, although if you're not a barley wine fan then it may be a tough sell.

Their big bottle series has provided a few winners like the Three Bears Oatmeal Stout and the Cascadian Dark Ale.

But I think you've kind of got your mind set on not liking Alley Kat, Replacement, so I suggest you just skip over them all. Judging by your post history, you're a pretty stubborn fellow (no offense) and tend to play "Devil's Advocate." If you don't want to like it, the monks of Belgium and hippies of Portland couldn't sway your opinion.
No worries.

Its more that I'm not properly comprehending the Alley Kat product line and merchandising and the marked differences in product. Why put out some varieties that just aren't all that impressive?

Also its not a given at a Liquor stort that I assume the bottled is going to be the worst, the big bottles better, kegs best, and so on.

This discussion kind of feels like sitting down half way through a movie and not knowing whats going on. That theres a history, favorites past discontinued favorites, seasonal favorites, etc. that are a bit confusing to me. When all I care about is a good tasting beer going down my gullet. Not knowing the menu I just want to be able to order something thats going to be good. Not so much of the trial and error.


Anyway taste is so subjective from anything to taste in hockey player to fine wine or favorite foods and music. Of course women..
Its associative as well and you just condition yourself to liking certain things. I think we're all built that way otherwise all the choices wouldn't necessarily exist.

I'kk try the 3 bears(beers), the dark, and the amber although I'm pretty sure I've had the bottled amber. I don't know about the belgian monks and portland hippies though..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:58 PM
  #262
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Ah - yeah, not much time.

Well, you can check out the Saint John ale house. I think they sometimes have Pumphouse brew on tap, and usually have Picaroon's (Fredericton brewery) which have several pretty good offerings.

http://www.saintjohnalehouse.com/dri...gories/view/19
Sweet thanks for this. I'll definitely check this place out looks like they got a pretty sweet selection. I just tried the St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout last night and thought it was pretty decent.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:00 PM
  #263
Redbarchettayyz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Reimer-

You said you found the full Pumphouse line at a liquor store in Leduc? I'm in Nisku/Leduc almost every day for work, which store was it? I might have to swing by and check it out.

Redbarchettayyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:24 PM
  #264
jbean
Registered User
 
jbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,716
vCash: 500
As far as Canadian beers I'm really enjoying Unibroue, particuarily the Trois Pistoles. I had a bottle of the Mt. Begbie cream ale from BC which I enjoyed as well. I was never the biggest fan of Alley Kat but I do enjoy one of their fruity beers in the summer time such as an Aprikat now and then or a Razzykat (their raspberry beer, which I'm not even sure if they make anymore) or their blueberry beer.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:57 AM
  #265
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbarchettayyz View Post
Reimer-

You said you found the full Pumphouse line at a liquor store in Leduc? I'm in Nisku/Leduc almost every day for work, which store was it? I might have to swing by and check it out.
At Liquor Link on 50th street just south of the Mcdonalds and right next to the Pizza Hut. Their prices are awesome too, GST and deposit is included in them and for the most part those prices are the same as the shelf price or cheaper than other liquor stores.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:23 PM
  #266
Redbarchettayyz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Thanks Reimer, I'm gonna check it out tomorrow!

Redbarchettayyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:06 AM
  #267
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbarchettayyz View Post
Thanks Reimer, I'm gonna check it out tomorrow!
Hey man no problem.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:21 AM
  #268
mooseisloose11
Registered User
 
mooseisloose11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rita MacNeil's roll
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Newest Alley Kat, Innis & Gunn Rum cask

Tried the new White Tail Wheat and have to say this is my least favourite of the big bottle series so far. It has a nice banana/clove aroma which is typical for the style but the finish is way too dry and its missing some body- almost like it over attenuated? Still drinkable though.

My first Innis & Gunn in 2-3 yrs and I have to admit I was impressed with the rum cask, I find alot of these styles to be out of blance (oak dominated) but not this one- thumbs up.

mooseisloose11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:47 AM
  #269
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseisloose11 View Post
Tried the new White Tail Wheat and have to say this is my least favourite of the big bottle series so far. It has a nice banana/clove aroma which is typical for the style but the finish is way too dry and its missing some body- almost like it over attenuated? Still drinkable though.

My first Innis & Gunn in 2-3 yrs and I have to admit I was impressed with the rum cask, I find alot of these styles to be out of blance (oak dominated) but not this one- thumbs up.
I gotta agree on the I&G Rum Cask, it's one of my favorite I&G's along with the Highland Cask. I've heard the I&G IPA was one of the best, but it was only around for a short time.

So far I've heard mixed reviews on the new White Tail Wheat.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:17 PM
  #270
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Picked up a case of Wild Rose, the 12 pack sampler. Have to say so far I'm pretty impressed with the IPA and the Velvet Fog. The SOB was decent, the Wraspberry ale is what it is and haven't tried the other two yet.

I'd definitely get a 6-pack of the IPA or Velvet fog again for sure.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:37 PM
  #271
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad
 
OFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Picked up a case of Wild Rose, the 12 pack sampler. Have to say so far I'm pretty impressed with the IPA and the Velvet Fog. The SOB was decent, the Wraspberry ale is what it is and haven't tried the other two yet.

I'd definitely get a 6-pack of the IPA or Velvet fog again for sure.
Their Brown Ale is really good....although the carbonation level is pretty low so you must drink a tad bit faster. Velvet Fog is pretty much everyone Wild Rose drinkers favorite.

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:54 PM
  #272
hodge7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rutland, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Some of you guys really need to brew your own. It's the most fantastic hobby there is. You can really make anything you want.

I'm currently trying to tweak an oildrop logo for my labels (oil drop becomes a hop, Oilers replaced by my brewery name).

Nothing like it friends.

The only trouble is splitting your time between Oilers/hfboards and brewing/homebrewtalk.com.

hodge7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:15 PM
  #273
Silver
Registered User
 
Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge7 View Post
Some of you guys really need to brew your own. It's the most fantastic hobby there is. You can really make anything you want.

I'm currently trying to tweak an oildrop logo for my labels (oil drop becomes a hop, Oilers replaced by my brewery name).

Nothing like it friends.

The only trouble is splitting your time between Oilers/hfboards and brewing/homebrewtalk.com.
I roast my own coffee. Looking at how that goes, I'm sure if I started homebrewing, I'd get way to into it, and then in a couple of years I'd have a bunch of equipment I can't use because I'm in rehab or going to an AA meeting...

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:16 PM
  #274
Silver
Registered User
 
Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its more that I'm not properly comprehending the Alley Kat product line and merchandising and the marked differences in product. Why put out some varieties that just aren't all that impressive?
Because cheap to produce swill sells. See: Molson, Labatt, Coors, Bud, etc.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:19 PM
  #275
hodge7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rutland, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I roast my own coffee. Looking at how that goes, I'm sure if I started homebrewing, I'd get way to into it, and then in a couple of years I'd have a bunch of equipment I can't use because I'm in rehab or going to an AA meeting...
... So what's stopping you?

Most likely you'll just get a gut and man boobs. But even that can be stiff armed if you start cutting out most of your food pyramid.

It's never wrong to pass on dinner to save your calories for beer.



Oh, and I'm interested in roasting coffee. How has your experience been?

hodge7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.