HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
07-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Silver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge7 View Post
... So what's stopping you?

Most likely you'll just get a gut and man boobs. But even that can be stiff armed if you start cutting out most of your food pyramid.

It's never wrong to pass on dinner to save your calories for beer.

Oh, and I'm interested in roasting coffee. How has your experience been?
I like my girlish figure. Plus, I cycle, and hauling a beer gut around is not my idea of fun

The coffee's been great. I use the colander/heat gun method, and do about a pound every 7-10 days.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:07 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge7 View Post
Some of you guys really need to brew your own. It's the most fantastic hobby there is. You can really make anything you want.

I'm currently trying to tweak an oildrop logo for my labels (oil drop becomes a hop, Oilers replaced by my brewery name).

Nothing like it friends.

The only trouble is splitting your time between Oilers/hfboards and brewing/homebrewtalk.com.
That is what I do Time consuming, but well worth it.

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:55 PM
jbean

This afternoon I picked up a 1 litre bottle of Garibaldi honey pale ale which is brewed in BC by Howe Sound.

I would say that this beer is in roughly the same class as the Mt. Begbie cream ale I picked up earlier. A light and easy going summer beer, just enough strength of flavour with a nice honey aftertaste that lingers around just enough. Nothing out of this world but it's good for an easy going beer and it was about what I expected given that I've never been blown away by the vast majority of Canadian beers. My only major complaint is that it could use sharper flavours bringing more life to what is otherwise a slightly plain (although certainly not unpleasant) beer. Also it seemed a bit flat, but who knows how long the bottle was sitting on the shelf at the liquor store; tasting a fresher batch or a pint out of a keg probably would've made a considerable difference.

Unibroue is the only Canadian brewery that I thoroughly enjoy but there are some decent breweries that are certainly worthwhile. Is there any consensus on this board on quality Canadian beers? Seems like the best brews come from Quebec, most of which are tricky to track down.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
Their Brown Ale is really good....although the carbonation level is pretty low so you must drink a tad bit faster. Velvet Fog is pretty much everyone Wild Rose drinkers favorite.
That's the funny thing because that is what I have heard from most people who have drank Wild Rose is that Velvet Fog is their favorite. However, Beeradvocate.com people ahve rated the IPA the highest in their line with I think the Velvet Fog getting middle of the road praise (in terms of the Wild Rose line).

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Truth Movement

The best Wild Rose beer is the Cherry Porter. Delicious dessert beer.

Truth Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Movement View Post
The best Wild Rose beer is the Cherry Porter. Delicious dessert beer.
I think all in all that beer did get the highest ratings. But I was referring to their everyday line. Do you know if you can find that cherry porter around anymore?

Old
08-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Pterodactyl
Houston Texans Balla

I picked up some Granville Island Brewing, Brockton IPA the other day. Not bad stuff, has a good yet strong flavour.

Pterodactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 07:12 PM
0ilerman
The King

Been drinking Sagres from Portugal. Great crisp lager

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I picked up some Granville Island Brewing, Brockton IPA the other day. Not bad stuff, has a good yet strong flavour.
I liked their IPA as well. Since then I've had Brewsters IPA and Wild Roses IPA. Both are very decent and I'd say I enjoyed them more than the GI IPA.

The best beer I drank in the Granville Island mixer pack was the English Bay Pale Ale. Pretty solid stuff.

Also want to say to Replacement that after drinking Alley KAt for the better part of the first half of summer it has kinda worn off on me and I'm now more into Amber's beer. Their stout is crazy good in my opinion. I still like Alley Kat and will drink on if offered. But I find myself not as inclined to buy it off the shelf anymore. Also tried their(Alley Kat) Hefenweizen and thought it was pretty solid. Seems that the stuff in their big bottle series is a little better brewed overall.

Old
08-04-2011, 10:43 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Grasshoper from big rock and tequila is a GREAT combination, fyi.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:25 PM
SerbianEagle

Can someone tell me where to find Alaskan Amber Ale...Just came back from Seward, and I like this beer but so far no luck finding it...

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
Can someone tell me where to find Alaskan Amber Ale...Just came back from Seward, and I like this beer but so far no luck finding it...
According to their website:

http://www.alaskanbeer.com/our-brew/find-our-beer.html

It is only available in select states only. I've had both their pale ale and amber and thought it was delicious(the amber that is, the pale was decent). So unless you go back to Alaska you might not be able to find it. The only reason I've drank this beer regularly is because they have it on cruise ships when I go every year. Next time I'm in Juneau I'll definitely have to check out their brewery.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
Sea-Tac airport

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Not Robin Brownlee
The docile tones!

Was at liquor depot on sunday and the had that River Valley Red on for $8.99 for a 12 pak cans, so I bought it with my OK springs pale ale, and was quite shocked at how food and smooth it was for a cheap beer, will buy it again...

Not Robin Brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle paajarvi View Post
Was at liquor depot on sunday and the had that River Valley Red on for $8.99 for a 12 pak cans, so I bought it with my OK springs pale ale, and was quite shocked at how food and smooth it was for a cheap beer, will buy it again...
Nice I'll have to check it out.

As for the Ok Springs pale ale it is probably my least favorite of the OKS offerings that I've tried.

Old
08-05-2011, 05:07 PM
millax

vCash: 692
Alleykat's next big bottle was announced. It is going to be a double ipa. 105 Ibu's supposedly!

Also, I tried the Samuel smith oatmeal stout and their ipa. Both excellent.

Also, if anyone can find some red racer ipa, it was ranked top 20 worldwide in the style and is supposed to be bloody brilliant!

Last edited by millax: 08-07-2011 at 11:38 AM.
millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by millax View Post
Alleviate next big bottle was announced. It is going to be a double ipa. 105 Ibu's supposedly!

Also, if anyone can find some red racer ipa, it was ranked top 20 worldwide in the style and is supposed to be bloody brilliant!
This is awesome to hear, I've really been getting into the IPA's lately. Like someone said earlier, they are bitter and gross like disgusting grapefruit but for some reason you just keep wanting more.

Old
09-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Alleykat's next big bottle was announced. It is going to be a double ipa. 105 Ibu's supposedly!

Haha wish I would have recalled this post this past weekend. They had some Red Racer IPA at Sherbrooke and I was there a few times this long weekend.

Also I tried a Fullers London Porter and thought it was absolutely delicious. Also picked up a 6 of Okanagan Springs Porter, also thought it was good but not as clean as the Fullers London. The Okanagan was a little hot being able to sense every bit of its 8.5% abv.

I also picked up Sherbrookes Neopolitian Stout and I recommend this beer to everybody. Probably the best stout I have tried to date.

A few weekends ago I also went on the Ambers Brewery tour and thought it was really well done. The owner and brewmaster Jim Gibbon is a really solid and funny dude.

Old
09-06-2011, 10:40 PM
BleedOil83

I'm going to be lazy and instead of looking through the thread, state one thing and ask another.

1. Innis and Gunn can be bought at Superstore Liquor Store by the case, I pay about $67 for 24.

2. However, it only comes in Rum Cask (my favorite) and Original. Does anyone know where I can buy a case of the Blonde??

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 10:50 PM
dopeschemes

Red Racer is an awesome IPA, but since they're always out of it I highly suggest either Lagunitas IPA or Hopworks Hub Organic IPA as really high end IPA alternatives. Lagunitas is more widely available, the hub IPA I have only seen at Sherbrooke.

dopeschemes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:09 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
That's the funny thing because that is what I have heard from most people who have drank Wild Rose is that Velvet Fog is their favorite. However, Beeradvocate.com people ahve rated the IPA the highest in their line with I think the Velvet Fog getting middle of the road praise (in terms of the Wild Rose line).
A bit surprised judging by all the Velvet Fog's around me when I am at the brewery. I personally don't like IPA's so Velvet Fog is a win for me

Quote:
Also I tried a Fullers London Porter and thought it was absolutely delicious. Also picked up a 6 of Okanagan Springs Porter, also thought it was good but not as clean as the Fullers London. The Okanagan was a little hot being able to sense every bit of its 8.5% abv.
Damn, I love both of those Porter's I really do love Okanagan's when it comes to non imported beer's......I just love dark roasted & smoky beers

Old
09-06-2011, 11:18 PM
millax

vCash: 692
Quote:
Haha wish I would have recalled this post this past weekend. They had some Red Racer IPA at Sherbrooke and I was there a few times this long weekend.

I also picked up Sherbrookes Neopolitian Stout and I recommend this beer to everybody. Probably the best stout I have tried to date.

A few weekends ago I also went on the Ambers Brewery tour and thought it was really well done. The owner and brewmaster Jim Gibbon is a really solid and funny dude.
Glad you enjoyed the Neopolitan Stout. I brewed it!

I probably should out myself before too long. I am a brewer for Alleykat. For any of those interested we will be having a double opening for our new Red Racer Double IPA and our Ein Prosit Oktoberfest Pilsner this Thursday at the Brewery (9929 - 60th ave). Free samples and free brewery tours for those who come down between 5-8pm.

It is also a great place to restock your beer fridge as the prices are cheaper and you get 10% off if you buy four 6-packs.

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 12:16 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
A bit surprised judging by all the Velvet Fog's around me when I am at the brewery. I personally don't like IPA's so Velvet Fog is a win for me

Velvet Fog is fantastic. Great taste, good to dump stuff in for boilermakers or on its own.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil83 View Post
I'm going to be lazy and instead of looking through the thread, state one thing and ask another.

1. Innis and Gunn can be bought at Superstore Liquor Store by the case, I pay about $67 for 24.

2. However, it only comes in Rum Cask (my favorite) and Original. Does anyone know where I can buy a case of the Blonde??
I've never seen the Blonde by the case. However I noticed at Sherbrooke this weekend they had a new I&G called triple matured. The beer is aged in three different barrels for a total of 99 days. They sold it by the bottle for $5 each. I noticed they had 12-packs but didn't see a price. I assume that they would probably just sell it for 12x$5 though. Which makes for a fairly expensive beer.

Old
09-07-2011, 10:05 AM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed the Neopolitan Stout. I brewed it!

I probably should out myself before too long. I am a brewer for Alleykat. For any of those interested we will be having a double opening for our new Red Racer Double IPA and our Ein Prosit Oktoberfest Pilsner this Thursday at the Brewery (9929 - 60th ave). Free samples and free brewery tours for those who come down between 5-8pm.

It is also a great place to restock your beer fridge as the prices are cheaper and you get 10% off if you buy four 6-packs.
I envy your job!!

I am moving back to Edmonton sometime next month, I should spend more time there when I do :-D