HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
09-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Valens

vCash: 500
Trois Pistoles, Fin du Monde and Maudite are masterpieces from Unibroue and cheap relatively speaking. I love Belgian beers, so I think we are damn lucky to have a brewery like Unibroue in Canada. Love that brewery!

On another note, has anyone ever gotten any Augustiner stuff here in Edmonton?? I was recently in Munich and I'm craving helles lagers and dunkels currently.

Last edited by Valens: 09-16-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Valens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
So today I picked up a 6'er of Yukon Brewery's Midnight Sun Espresso Stout. I've had Yukon Red & Lead Dog from them and LOVED them both, thought I give this a shot.
Also, I picked up a 750mL of Unibroue's Maudite. The design on the bottle caught my attention, so far sounds like a strong spicy beer (hopefully not too hoppy)

Yeah same, can't really say what my fav is either. I do love my dark & red amber beers though.

I should check that place out.
Its funny that you say that, I just bought a 6 pack of yukon red last night. Fantastic stuff too.

As for maudite I used to drink thatbeer all the time when I'd went for poker night at my buddies. Pretty tasty but nothing to go crazy for. With that said I'd definitely drink it again.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 07:07 PM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valens View Post
On another note, has anyone ever gotten any Augustiner stuff here in Edmonton?? I was recently in Munich and I'm craving helles lagers and dunkels currently.
I too have tasted the glory that is Augustiner while I was in Munich and I have missed it ever since. As far as I know Augustiner generally does not export their beer and I have never seen it in Edmonton.

If anyone knows where (even if I have to order it on the internet) I could find some Augustiner Helles I would be most greatful!

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 08:07 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Its funny that you say that, I just bought a 6 pack of yukon red last night. Fantastic stuff too.

As for maudite I used to drink thatbeer all the time when I'd went for poker night at my buddies. Pretty tasty but nothing to go crazy for. With that said I'd definitely drink it again.

I tried 3 of the Yukon lineup...their red, gold and ice fog and it was delicious. I left the tasting a bit early because I had my proverbial fill, but it was great. There was a nice little tequila distillery that was there and his tequila? delicious. And I learned something about Agave.

The Creemore Lager was fantastic as well. It started off with a strong but clean taste and then has a smoky finish that suckerpunches you at the end when you finish your sip.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:17 PM
millpoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
I too have tasted the glory that is Augustiner while I was in Munich and I have missed it ever since. As far as I know Augustiner generally does not export their beer and I have never seen it in Edmonton.

If anyone knows where (even if I have to order it on the internet) I could find some Augustiner Helles I would be most greatful!
THIS

I miss grabbing a cold Augustiner at a kiosk for 2 euros and pounding them back on the street. Wish we could drink to-go here in Edmonton.

millpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 12:53 AM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by millpoo View Post
THIS

I miss grabbing a cold Augustiner at a kiosk for 2 euros and pounding them back on the street. Wish we could drink to-go here in Edmonton.
I fondly remember starting a day of site seeing with a half litre of helles while I was riding the subway. Oh why could we not have liberal drinking laws and inexpensive high quality beers readily availible everywhere.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
I tried 3 of the Yukon lineup...their red, gold and ice fog and it was delicious. I left the tasting a bit early because I had my proverbial fill, but it was great. There was a nice little tequila distillery that was there and his tequila? delicious. And I learned something about Agave.

The Creemore Lager was fantastic as well. It started off with a strong but clean taste and then has a smoky finish that suckerpunches you at the end when you finish your sip.
Yeah I'm looking forward to trying more from their lineup as they ahve about 8 different beers. I also found out that apparently most Original Joes carry the Yukon Gold and the Yukon Red.

Old
09-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

Quote:
Yeah I'm looking forward to trying more from their lineup as they ahve about 8 different beers. I also found out that apparently most Original Joes carry the Yukon Gold and the Yukon Red.
the gold is tasty! the red not so much imo. does oj's still have okanagan springs?

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 10:31 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
it must be in bottles, I don't generally buy anything but draft from OJs (5 bucks a pint every night!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle paajarvi View Post
the gold is tasty! the red not so much imo. does oj's still have okanagan springs?
yes, I think tuesday nights are $5 a pint on tap.

Old
09-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
it must be in bottles, I don't generally buy anything but draft from OJs (5 bucks a pint every night!)

yes, I think tuesday nights are $5 a pint on tap.

Oh really so they don't carry it on tap? That's a real bummer.

What exactly do they carry on tap. It's been a long time since I went to OJ's and actually got a drink. I always find myself going there during the lunch hour and being responsible. I'm so looking forward to the one in Leduc opening up soon.

Also I went to the Sherbrooke Rum Festival at the Citadel last night. Pretty solid night, learned a lot about different rums and such. Also found a new specialty sipping drink. Some of the booths were sampling different ginger beers and adding a shot of dark/amber rum on top. I don't recall what it's called but it was damn tasty. Kinda reminded me of mixing rum with ginger ale with a kick.

Old
09-20-2011, 11:37 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Oh really so they don't carry it on tap? That's a real bummer.

What exactly do they carry on tap. It's been a long time since I went to OJ's and actually got a drink. I always find myself going there during the lunch hour and being responsible. I'm so looking forward to the one in Leduc opening up soon.

Also I went to the Sherbrooke Rum Festival at the Citadel last night. Pretty solid night, learned a lot about different rums and such. Also found a new specialty sipping drink. Some of the booths were sampling different ginger beers and adding a shot of dark/amber rum on top. I don't recall what it's called but it was damn tasty. Kinda reminded me of mixing rum with ginger ale with a kick.

I'd have to look it up so I don't totally screw it up, but they have Okanogan Springs (2 types), Big Rock (Lime, Grasshopper, Trad), Wild Rose (Wraspberry and Velvet Fog), Guiness, Alleykat (Aprikat and Brewberry Ale) and their own in-house brews (5 of them, I'm pretty sure).

The one in sherwood park also has a massive beer fridge behind the bar. TONS of different stuff in bottles.

...as you can probably tell I drink there frequently.

Old
09-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I'd have to look it up so I don't totally screw it up, but they have Okanogan Springs (2 types), Big Rock (Lime, Grasshopper, Trad), Wild Rose (Wraspberry and Velvet Fog), Guiness, Alleykat (Aprikat and Brewberry Ale) and their own in-house brews (5 of them, I'm pretty sure).

The one in sherwood park also has a massive beer fridge behind the bar. TONS of different stuff in bottles.

...as you can probably tell I drink there frequently.
Awesome, like I said I will definitely be going there more often when it open up here in Leduc. Too bad it's not more of a sports bar for games. I believe they show the hockey games but they don't play them with audio or anything. Also too bad that is seems they have everyone fruit beers and none of the craft makers darker beers. Unless of course one of the Okanagan springs is the Brewmasters or the Porter I'd be very happy. Guess if they keep two Alley Kat though the Brewberry will have to change since it's out of season now.

Old
09-20-2011, 11:50 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Awesome, like I said I will definitely be going there more often when it open up here in Leduc. Too bad it's not more of a sports bar for games. I believe they show the hockey games but they don't play them with audio or anything. Also too bad that is seems they have everyone fruit beers and none of the craft makers darker beers. Unless of course one of the Okanagan springs is the Brewmasters or the Porter I'd be very happy. Guess if they keep two Alley Kat though the Brewberry will have to change since it's out of season now.
Stuff like that changes, and next time I go to OJs (tomorrow, in fact) I'll take a peek at their bottle selection. They might carry some of the darker varieties in bottle form instead. It is still technically summer so right now the lighter beers are more relevant anyways.

I've been to OJs during games and the one here in sherwood park turns on the audio for oilers' games. They did the same for the playoffs last year. I can't speak for any other locations, however. The only thing I don't like is that they don't show the UFC events or I'd go there for every card rather than just stay home.

Old
09-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Stuff like that changes, and next time I go to OJs (tomorrow, in fact) I'll take a peek at their bottle selection. They might carry some of the darker varieties in bottle form instead. It is still technically summer so right now the lighter beers are more relevant anyways.

I've been to OJs during games and the one here in sherwood park turns on the audio for oilers' games. They did the same for the playoffs last year. I can't speak for any other locations, however. The only thing I don't like is that they don't show the UFC events or I'd go there for every card rather than just stay home.
Awesome good to hear. Like I said I've always gone there because their food is good but honestly didn't know much about what beer they actually carried.

Old
09-20-2011, 12:06 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Awesome good to hear. Like I said I've always gone there because their food is good but honestly didn't know much about what beer they actually carried.

I have the unique opportunity with the OJs here to basically leave my car at work, cross the street to the bar with some friends, have some drinks and nachos and then walk home afterwards, so I've tried a fair bit of their selection as a result. If you're out of the way of any locations and only go there for a 'dry lunch' then yeah I can see why you're unfamiliar with their beer selection.

Old
09-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I have the unique opportunity with the OJs here to basically leave my car at work, cross the street to the bar with some friends, have some drinks and nachos and then walk home afterwards, so I've tried a fair bit of their selection as a result. If you're out of the way of any locations and only go there for a 'dry lunch' then yeah I can see why you're unfamiliar with their beer selection.
Yeah it will be awesome, the one in Leduc is within walking distance to my place.

Old
09-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

oj's burger with the italian sausage on it is amazing....

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 03:25 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Just got an awesome box from Alberta. Did a 12 shipper trade.

Alley Kat - Double Dragon DIPA
Alley Kat - Loaded Goat Maibock
Cantillon - Lou Pepe
Cantillon - Cuvee Saint-Gilloise
Birrificio Del Ducato - New Morning
Laughing Dog - IPA
Mikkeller - IbeatU
Mikkeller - Hoppy Easter
Dead Frog - Citra IPA
Lagunitas - Little Sumpin Wild Ale
Reel Ales - Barley Wine
Wild Rose - DIPA

So awesome!

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Just got an awesome box from Alberta. Did a 12 shipper trade.

Alley Kat - Double Dragon DIPA
Alley Kat - Loaded Goat Maibock
Cantillon - Lou Pepe
Cantillon - Cuvee Saint-Gilloise
Birrificio Del Ducato - New Morning
Laughing Dog - IPA
Mikkeller - IbeatU
Mikkeller - Hoppy Easter
Dead Frog - Citra IPA
Lagunitas - Little Sumpin Wild Ale
Reel Ales - Barley Wine
Wild Rose - DIPA

So awesome!
Definitely looks like some tasty stuff in there. Who do you trade with or how does it work?

Old
09-21-2011, 09:37 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Definitely looks like some tasty stuff in there. Who do you trade with or how does it work?

I traded with a guy from Calgary. Don't worry, I put a Hemmer sticker on the top of the box for him! I sent him my styro-shipper full of Ontario/Quebec brews and he returned it to me with some great Alberta and Belgium greats.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
I traded with a guy from Calgary. Don't worry, I put a Hemmer sticker on the top of the box for him! I sent him my styro-shipper full of Ontario/Quebec brews and he returned it to me with some great Alberta and Belgium greats.
Oh awesome. I'd be interested in doing this if you wanted to do it again.

Old
09-22-2011, 02:28 PM
outKast*

My favourite beer is called Coro-Catsup.

So what you do is you grab a Corona light. Instead of putting a lime into it, you squirt some ketchup into your bottle. How much? As much as your heart desires. Shake that puppy up until it fizzles violently and then you drink it. It tastes like that drink where you mix tomato juice and beer.

It's quite delicious and can be enjoyed with a nice enchilada or filet mignon.

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Pain View Post
My favourite beer is called Coro-Catsup.

So what you do is you grab a Corona light. Instead of putting a lime into it, you squirt some ketchup into your bottle. How much? As much as your heart desires. Shake that puppy up until it fizzles violently and then you drink it. It tastes like that drink where you mix tomato juice and beer.

It's quite delicious and can be enjoyed with a nice enchilada or filet mignon.
First off Corona is terrible so I couldn't imagine Corona Light. Secondly I'll save my ketchup for my burgers and fries. Probably be put to better use there than in beer.

Old
09-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valens View Post
Trois Pistoles, Fin du Monde and Maudite are masterpieces from Unibroue and cheap relatively speaking. I love Belgian beers, so I think we are damn lucky to have a brewery like Unibroue in Canada. Love that brewery!
Blanche de Chambly is also a great white beer from Unibroue.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:51 PM
outKast*

Quote:
First off Corona is terrible so I couldn't imagine Corona Light. Secondly I'll save my ketchup for my burgers and fries. Probably be put to better use there than in beer.
you shouldn't knock it until you try it homeslice

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote