HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
12-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Sign me up, lol.

Anyhow of course that's a lot of beer and when you buy a keg you purchase it based on how many people are going to be drinking it. You don't purchase one as a novelty to yourself.

whoops!

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:31 PM
millax

vCash: 692
Quote:
Just picked up both of Sherbrookes/Alley Kats Coconut Curry Porter and the Mojo Apeel beer. Both are really solid. The Coconut Curry Porter probably doesn't taste like what you think it would taste like, it is really smooth and easy drinking.

The Mojo Apeel is a bit different but oh so flavorful. If you like bananas you'll love this beer, funny part is it doesn't even have banana in it.
Glad you like the heat seeker. I brewed it. It was strange tossing coconut into the mash and curry into the boil.

Just wanted to let people know that we are having another cask night tomorrow (thurs) at sugar bowl starting at 5. We have prepared a winter ale only available to the public tomorrow in the cask.

It is a solid Christmas beer so come on down and say hey and enjoy some beer!

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by millax View Post
Glad you like the heat seeker. I brewed it. It was strange tossing coconut into the mash and curry into the boil.

Just wanted to let people know that we are having another cask night tomorrow (thurs) at sugar bowl starting at 5. We have prepared a winter ale only available to the public tomorrow in the cask.

It is a solid Christmas beer so come on down and say hey and enjoy some beer!
When you say Christmas beer, what exactly is a Christmas beer? Is it the same as a Winter Ale?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:01 PM
oilers89

Whats some good bars on whyte ave or anywhere to go to After Canada games in the world juniors?
And also are there any really good bars to watch oilers games at?

oilers89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Eirhead*

I AM CURRENTLY drinking MGD! LooooOOOOooOOK OUT!

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Can anyone tell me where in edmonton I'd be able to buy bottle caps and a bottle capper/sealer?

I got a home brewing kit for christmas and have a bunch of random bottles kicking around but I don't have a bottle cap sealer and bottle caps. I found a place on line to buy some bottles and caps for 10 bucks, but the wanted 25 on top of that for shipping. If anyone could help me out with this, that would be great.

Thanks team HF.

Old
01-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Silver

Quote:
Can anyone tell me where in edmonton I'd be able to buy bottle caps and a bottle capper/sealer?

I got a home brewing kit for christmas and have a bunch of random bottles kicking around but I don't have a bottle cap sealer and bottle caps. I found a place on line to buy some bottles and caps for 10 bucks, but the wanted 25 on top of that for shipping. If anyone could help me out with this, that would be great.

Thanks team HF.
From what little I know of home brewing, you'll also need sanitizer for the bottles.

In brewing, cleanliness IS godliness.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:13 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:

Thanks team HF.
That's a good question. I got all my supplies while living in Calgary, but I can use some more caps and can't seem to a place....even checked online.
If I come across a place I will let you know

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
From what little I know of home brewing, you'll also need sanitizer for the bottles.

In brewing, cleanliness IS godliness.
You bet, the kit came with sanitizer.

Old
01-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
That's a good question. I got all my supplies while living in Calgary, but I can use some more caps and can't seem to a place....even checked online.
What was the name of the place in calgary? Maybe a guy can order online. Also I just got a Mr. Beer type of set up but am curious to get into a more serious type of home brewing. Would you reccomend their supplies?

Also what does a guy need or type of set up in the house to make a decent go of home brewing?

Old
01-05-2012, 11:44 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
What was the name of the place in calgary? Maybe a guy can order online. Also I just got a Mr. Beer type of set up but am curious to get into a more serious type of home brewing. Would you reccomend their supplies?

Also what does a guy need or type of set up in the house to make a decent go of home brewing?
http://thehomevintner.siraza.net/

They told me everything I needed to know about brewing. As far as their entry level supplies go I would recommend, I also want to get into the more serious type which I am sure they can help with that too.

Are you brewing with a pre mixed beer kit or from scratch? Beer kits I just used my kitchen, which the last batch I made it was in a tiny apartment then let it sit under my kitchen table in the corner with blankets wrapped around it during fermentation. Seems ghetto but it worked

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 50
I've recently purchased a 12 pack sampler of Granville Island Brewery beer... one of the good things to come out of vancouver

The winter ale is pretty nice. Kinda tastes like vanilla. The IPA is my favorite. It has a deep flavour and the bitterness is not overwhelming.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
http://thehomevintner.siraza.net/

They told me everything I needed to know about brewing. As far as their entry level supplies go I would recommend, I also want to get into the more serious type which I am sure they can help with that too.

Are you brewing with a pre mixed beer kit or from scratch? Beer kits I just used my kitchen, which the last batch I made it was in a tiny apartment then let it sit under my kitchen table in the corner with blankets wrapped around it during fermentation. Seems ghetto but it worked
Yeah right now I plan to just brew with a pre-mixed beer kit. I was talking if I were to actually get into the equipment, how much space and what type of set up would I need then?

Old
01-06-2012, 11:55 AM
stony

Quote:

Thanks team HF.
You might want to check Kijiji. I was debating starting up homebrewing, but the cleaning and sanitizing requirements seem like a lot of work for lazy old me. Anyway a lot of sites recommended Kijiji:

Capper and caps for: $15 (saves shipping I guess) http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ342912803

Also, these bottles seemed pretty popular from what I read: http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ342627560

stony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseisloose11 View Post
Most city brewers go to South Side Brew Crew in the Lendrum Shopping Centre, Andrew is a great guy. Some other useful sites are www.homebrew-supplies.ca and www.northernbrewer.com

@$200 will get you started, $500 you are serious, and @$1000- you are officially hooked. There are some crazy systems out there if you want to go nuts...
Hey OFD, this is a post I found earlier in the thread. Might be useful for you if your looking for some supplies.

Old
01-06-2012, 12:34 PM
millax

We are having our next release party for our new Abbey Kat Beligian Quad on January 13th from 5-8 at the brewery. Free drinks and snacks for those who come on out!

Also, it is a great chance to meet lots of the local home brewers or ask Neil, the owner of Alleykat, questions regarding home brewing or anything related to brewing!

Old
01-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
We are having our next release party for our new Abbey Kat Beligian Quad on January 13th from 5-8 at the brewery. Free drinks and snacks for those who come on out!

Also, it is a great chance to meet lots of the local home brewers or ask Neil, the owner of Alleykat, questions regarding home brewing or anything related to brewing!
Haha, I had planned on doing that if I couldn't find much out over the internet by next Friday.
Also I notice that Alley Kat is hosting the HBG meeting on Monday. Is that open to the public or does one have to register and sign up and be part of the HBG in order to attend?

Old
01-06-2012, 02:14 PM
millax

Quote:
Haha, I had planned on doing that if I couldn't find much out over the internet by next Friday.
Also I notice that Alley Kat is hosting the HBG meeting on Monday. Is that open to the public or does one have to register and sign up and be part of the HBG in order to attend?
From what I understand you can just show up, but there is a membership. I'll ask at work on monday and reply with a more definitive answer. I've actually never attended one of their meetings. It seems to work that every time there is a meeting, I am brewing late.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Debonair

Moosehead!!

Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
From what I understand you can just show up, but there is a membership. I'll ask at work on monday and reply with a more definitive answer. I've actually never attended one of their meetings. It seems to work that every time there is a meeting, I am brewing late.
Any word on this millax?

Old
01-09-2012, 08:21 PM
millax

Quote:
Any word on this millax?
I will have to let you know tomorrow. Everyone who would have had the answer was on vacation today, but two of them are back tomorrow.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:33 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

So, I went to the Hudson's on Whyte avenue and, for whatever reason, their pints of trad ale were REALLY flat. I didn't realize how bad it was until I went to OJs (in sherwood park) with some friends...it was night and day difference between what I got at OJs and what I got at Hudsons. It made me really take the Hudsons on Whyte down a few notches.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
So, I went to the Hudson's on Whyte avenue and, for whatever reason, their pints of trad ale were REALLY flat. I didn't realize how bad it was until I went to OJs (in sherwood park) with some friends...it was night and day difference between what I got at OJs and what I got at Hudsons. It made me really take the Hudsons on Whyte down a few notches.
Yeah I'm not a big fan of Hudsons. I'd assume the keg is either really old or their lines are ****.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Hey I was at Winning Wines last night and they have 1000 caps for $25.

Check out their website to find the closest location to you. They carry a lot of really good stuff.

http://www.winningwinesplus.com/

Old
01-12-2012, 04:47 PM
HighSynergy

im off the sherbrooke later:

any suggestions? im open to new things

HighSynergy is offline   Reply With Quote