HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
01-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSynergy View Post
im off the sherbrooke later:

any suggestions? im open to new things
You really can't go wrong with almost anything in there. However I've been trying a lot of Yukon Brewery products lately and have loved every last one of them, especially the Midnight Sun Espresso Stout.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:42 PM
HighSynergy

^thanks. ive never tried an espresso stout before. sounds promising

HighSynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Pterodactyl
Houston Texans Balla

That espresso stout is pretty good. I enjoyed it.

Pterodactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Silver

Espresso stouts seem hard to screw up. I can't think of a bad one I've had...they are usually a very safe bet.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 06:01 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Hey I was at Winning Wines last night and they have 1000 caps for $25.

Check out their website to find the closest location to you. They carry a lot of really good stuff.

http://www.winningwinesplus.com/
Thanks for the info!

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:29 PM
40oz

Yukon Brewing has been hit or miss for me, worked up there for a summer and drank the stuff alot. But I've honestly never had a pint or bottle of the red that was any good outside of the territories.
Also, I'd avoid the Spiced Winter Ale.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Yukon Brewing has been hit or miss for me, worked up there for a summer and drank the stuff alot. But I've honestly never had a pint or bottle of the red that was any good outside of the territories.
Also, I'd avoid the Spiced Winter Ale.
The red was the first one of their beers that I tasted that got me onto Yukon Brewing. It was a really smooth almost cream ale type of beer.

As for the Winter Ale, I've never really been a fans of Winter Ales. I've tried about 3 or 4 now and I can't say I've cared for any of them.

Old
01-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Espresso stouts seem hard to screw up. I can't think of a bad one I've had...they are usually a very safe bet.
Yeah I have to agree with this, I've never had a bad espresso stout. The combination of coffee and an ale just go together really well.

Old
01-13-2012, 07:19 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
The red was the first one of their beers that I tasted that got me onto Yukon Brewing. It was a really smooth almost cream ale type of beer.

As for the Winter Ale, I've never really been a fans of Winter Ales. I've tried about 3 or 4 now and I can't say I've cared for any of them.
So far the only Winter Ales I liked are the spiced ones.
Right now I have an Innis & Gunn winter beer 2011 in my fridge (which isn't spiced) so hopefully it doesn't taste too sweet like the Granville Island's

Old
01-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
So far the only Winter Ales I liked are the spiced ones.
Right now I have an Innis & Gunn winter beer 2011 in my fridge (which isn't spiced) so hopefully it doesn't taste too sweet like the Granville Island's
Not sure if you've had it yet but it is kind of sweet but with the I&G twist. I didn't care for it at all.

Old
01-17-2012, 01:11 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
Not sure if you've had it yet but it is kind of sweet but with the I&G twist. I didn't care for it at all.
Neither did I. For me it did not taste sweet at all, it tasted EXACTLY like the rum finish. Not sure if it's just me for they effed up the labeling and it really was the rum finish haha

Old
01-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
Neither did I. For me it did not taste sweet at all, it tasted EXACTLY like the rum finish. Not sure if it's just me for they effed up the labeling and it really was the rum finish haha
Possibly, I tried the winter ale last year when I bought the gift pack and then tried the rum finish in the fall when my cousin bought the gift pack. Either way I haven't tasted a good winter ale. That by far has been the most disappointing I&G beer. The Triple Matured in this years pack was fantastic though.

Old
01-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Had a Granville island Hefenweizen last night at Original Joes and it was easily the best Hefe I've had. Now I understand why everyone who like GIB beers raved about their Hefe.

If anyone likes this style and hasn't had one before I recommend that you go and try it.

Old
01-27-2012, 02:37 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
I'm very interested in the Alley Kat Belgian Quad. Wondering if anyone would be interested in picking one up for me and we'll work out a trade for something from Ontario/Quebec?

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
I'm very interested in the Alley Kat Belgian Quad. Wondering if anyone would be interested in picking one up for me and we'll work out a trade for something from Ontario/Quebec?
Yeah I'd be willing to do this for you as the Quad is almost all gone. I have one left in my fridge, what were you thinking and how do we go about doing this?

Old
02-02-2012, 03:02 PM
no doubt about it

Quote:
Hopefully the mods let this stay open as long as people are responsive to it.

But I just recently really got into Innis and Gunn. I have drank it for a couple years but only the original and blonde. I recently tried the Highlander Cask and the Rum Cask and am now absolutely hooked on the stuff. But my only issue is that I live in Leduc and Sherbrooke Liquor store is the only place in Edmonton that I know of that sells more than just the original and blonde Innis and Gunn.

So does anyone know of any other liquor stores that sell a decent selection of Innis? Also does anyone know of a place where a guy can find those sweet Innis and gunn glasses with the stem? Or any other Innis and Gunn merchandise?

Also I'd love to hear other peoples recomendations for great beers that move away from the typical Canadian, Bud, Keith's, Rickards type of beers.
Well now. All this banter about beer made me thirsty. Yepp just strolled on down to the Superstore and picked me up some rum cask innis and gunn. Dang tastes good too.

Let's just say it's practice before the game.

Last edited by no doubt about it: 02-02-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: thought
no doubt about it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by no doubt about it View Post
Well now. All this banter about beer made me thirsty. Yepp just strolled on down to the Superstore and picked me up some rum cask innis and gunn. Dang tastes good too.

Let's just say it's practice before the game.
Exactly, hellofa good practice too.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:39 AM
cfrancis

Quote:
Yeah I'd be willing to do this for you as the Quad is almost all gone. I have one left in my fridge, what were you thinking and how do we go about doing this?
I have a styrofoam shipper that I've used numerous occasions to send beer around. We can use this if you want to do a little trade.

If you just want to do a one bottle thing, then I can send you something from here and you send me yours.

Cool stuff around me is Charlevoix (great Belgian beers), St. Ambroise Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout, there are a couple other good stouts out here if you are a stout guy.
IPA, there are a few good ones, probably not as big as the "West Coast" style but very tasty. Some great barley wines and scotch ales.

Let me know what you are interested in and I'll get you something good.

I don't know if you are on Ratebeer but I'm cfrancis on there.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I have a styrofoam shipper that I've used numerous occasions to send beer around. We can use this if you want to do a little trade.

If you just want to do a one bottle thing, then I can send you something from here and you send me yours.

Cool stuff around me is Charlevoix (great Belgian beers), St. Ambroise Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout, there are a couple other good stouts out here if you are a stout guy.
IPA, there are a few good ones, probably not as big as the "West Coast" style but very tasty. Some great barley wines and scotch ales.

Let me know what you are interested in and I'll get you something good.

I don't know if you are on Ratebeer but I'm cfrancis on there.
I know you talked about it earlier in this thread but are you legally allowed to ship beer in Canada? Does it just become an issue when you go across borders?

But yeah I'm up for doing a few like half dozen or so, what kind of price limit are you looking at? I just don't want to send you back $20 worth of beer if you sent me $60.

Alleykat just released their Green Dragon Double IPA, do you want one of these as well? I plan on picking some up today. They are starting a Dragon series of DIPA's and this is the 1st one in it and it's hopped up with Zythos hops.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:14 AM
cfrancis

Quote:
I know you talked about it earlier in this thread but are you legally allowed to ship beer in Canada? Does it just become an issue when you go across borders?

But yeah I'm up for doing a few like half dozen or so, what kind of price limit are you looking at? I just don't want to send you back $20 worth of beer if you sent me $60.

Alleykat just released their Green Dragon Double IPA, do you want one of these as well? I plan on picking some up today. They are starting a Dragon series of DIPA's and this is the 1st one in it and it's hopped up with Zythos hops.
It's kind of a gray area, shipping beer, it's legal to ship wine but there are no specifics when it comes to beer as far as I know. Fedex and UPS don't like to do it and I usually just don't offer up information to them when I drop off the box. Although when in Canada I usually use Canada post because it's cheaper.

Shipping to the US, can cause problems because each place wants taxes and duties on what is crossing borders. I don't really do it anymore unless I'm travelling to the states and I'll bring the box with me and mail it in the US.

I'd love the Green Dragon. I'm a big hop head. I can do $40 pretty easily. If you want to go a little bigger, no problem. And let me know what styles you like best.

There is a new brewpub in Ottawa called Brasseurs du Temps that is making some amazing beer.

Old
02-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
It's kind of a gray area, shipping beer, it's legal to ship wine but there are no specifics when it comes to beer as far as I know. Fedex and UPS don't like to do it and I usually just don't offer up information to them when I drop off the box. Although when in Canada I usually use Canada post because it's cheaper.

Shipping to the US, can cause problems because each place wants taxes and duties on what is crossing borders. I don't really do it anymore unless I'm travelling to the states and I'll bring the box with me and mail it in the US.

I'd love the Green Dragon. I'm a big hop head. I can do $40 pretty easily. If you want to go a little bigger, no problem. And let me know what styles you like best.

There is a new brewpub in Ottawa called Brasseurs du Temps that is making some amazing beer.
Not sure if you got my PM but lets do this up.

Also didn't Millstreet just open up a brew pub in Ottawa?

Old
02-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Is anyone else excited for Alley Kats newest big bottle series beer?

Their next one is an ESB.

I first tasted this style through Wild Rose's and Pumphouse's offerings and officially became hooked with Yukon's Honey ESB. Can't wait to try this one.

The official launch party is at Alley Kat next week on Thursday the 8th.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:13 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Tried this a few weeks ago. Surprisingly cheap, awesome bottle and actually quite tasty. Little guy Liquor in sherwood park carries it.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:57 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Hobgoblin. Very tasty, dark beer with a nice hoppy finish and satisfying aftertaste.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post

Tried this a few weeks ago. Surprisingly cheap, awesome bottle and actually quite tasty. Little guy Liquor in sherwood park carries it.
I see this beer every time I'm looking in a Sobey's liquor store. I've been wanting to try it but just couldn't get past the jug and wasn't sure how it would play out. Now that you have recommended it I will definitely have to try it next time I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
Hobgoblin. Very tasty, dark beer with a nice hoppy finish and satisfying aftertaste.
I love this beer. I believe it is considered a red ale which I found surprising because it is definitely darker than most reds.