HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Silver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
Are there any pubs or bars in Edmonton that you can get a wide selection of beers ? Sugarbowl is my favourite and has BY FAR the best selection I've seen up here. I'm into the european beers, especially the Belgian variety. Sugarbowl has Delirium Tremens, Affligem, a few Unibroue Beers, among others, all on tap.

Most of the other pubs, like Sherlock Holmes or Original Joes have good but certainly not great selections, mostly consisting of north american beers.
One caveat: Beer on tap is only potentially better (lets ignore aging issues) if the lines are properly maintained and cleaned.

Most big Belgians really benefit from sitting down in a cool dark place for a couple of years, unless you're drinking saisons.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:04 AM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

Wait. What? Sugarbowl has Delerium Tremens on ****ing tap? Since when?

DerpMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpMorg View Post
Wait. What? Sugarbowl has Delerium Tremens on ****ing tap? Since when?
Yeah man it's hard to keep up with their selection. They are a great place for the city when you can actually get in.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:13 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
DT on tap has to be incredible.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Silver

By the way, the Alley Kat Green Dragon tastes a lot like Alesmith Yulesmith to me.

Perhaps my memory is off, but in my books, that's like comparing RNH to Gretzky. High praise, indeed.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:23 AM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

Green Dragon is almost too hoppy.

I know. Sacrilege.

DerpMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
By the way, the Alley Kat Green Dragon tastes a lot like Alesmith Yulesmith to me.

Perhaps my memory is off, but in my books, that's like comparing RNH to Gretzky. High praise, indeed.
Crazy, imo I wasn't a very big fan of the Green Dragon.

The Black Dragon on the other hand is pretty tasty. However my favorite is still definitely the Red Dragon.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
google "ginger twink" great beer.....
hmmmm.... I'm puzzled, did you come across this link on your own time?

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Is anyone going to check out MKT? It's owned by the century hospitality group and I believe it opens today.

It's in the old Iron Horse building (Strathcona Station on Gateway Blvd.) and will apparently have 60 different beers on tap.

I think it is going to be more of a relaxed lounge than a club which is a good thing. Here is the concept in CHG's own words:

Quote:
Well, MKT is our answer to Edmonton’s weekend beer connoisseur, the ladies looking for a night out, the couple looking for a great date with gourmet, local food – MKT offers it all... an upscale experience wrapped up in a casual, genuine atmosphere. We think of it as polished with rough edges. You might think of it as your new favourite.

Last edited by Skm: 06-14-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Updated opening
Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:47 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
Is anyone going to check out MKT? It's owned by the century hospitality group and I believe it opens this weekend or next week.

It's in the old Iron Horse building (Strathcona Station on Gateway Blvd.) and will apparently have 60 different beers on tap.

I think it is going to be more of a relaxed lounge than a club which is a good thing. Here is the concept in CHG's own words:

with 60 beers on tap I will seriously consider a night out there in the next month.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:06 AM
bzur

Quote:
Is anyone going to check out MKT? It's owned by the century hospitality group and I believe it opens this weekend or next week.

It opens today! 60 beers on tap, 60 different bottled beers and amazing food. I'm excited

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Is anyone going to check out MKT? It's owned by the century hospitality group and I believe it opens today.

Missed this thread getting bumped. I went last Friday during the lunch hour. The selection of beer is great, if you haven't seen it it can be found here:

http://www.centuryhospitality.com/mkt_beer.php

Overall the look in there is great, they have a large wall with all the beers they have on tap lit up. My understanding is if they run out the light gets switched off to let customers know they are currently out. The price for lunch and a pint came to $21 bucks which I thought was a bit pricey but it is also brand new. I'm sure after being open for a bit and things slow down a bit they will introduce regular specials.

Only knock I had was that the employees didn't seem to know a whole lot about beer. I told one guy about craft beer market in Calgary having 100 beer on tap and he laughed at me and said that wasn't true because their boss told them that MKT has the most beers on tap in North America. Definitely made me laugh, however I did talk to a few people and even though the knowledge wasn't there they did stress that the management is trying to introduce all their employees to new beers every time they come onto shift.

Also to the few posters above MKT does have Delerium Tremens on tap as well. They also have 4 rotating taps that will carry seasonals and other random beers. It looked like one was dedicated to Alley Kats Dragon Series Double IPA's.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Missed this thread getting bumped. I went last Friday during the lunch hour. The selection of beer is great, if you haven't seen it it can be found here:

http://www.centuryhospitality.com/mkt_beer.php

Overall the look in there is great, they have a large wall with all the beers they have on tap lit up. My understanding is if they run out the light gets switched off to let customers know they are currently out. The price for lunch and a pint came to $21 bucks which I thought was a bit pricey but it is also brand new. I'm sure after being open for a bit and things slow down a bit they will introduce regular specials.

Only knock I had was that the employees didn't seem to know a whole lot about beer. I told one guy about craft beer market in Calgary having 100 beer on tap and he laughed at me and said that wasn't true because their boss told them that MKT has the most beers on tap in North America. Definitely made me laugh, however I did talk to a few people and even though the knowledge wasn't there they did stress that the management is trying to introduce all their employees to new beers every time they come onto shift.

Also to the few posters above MKT does have Delerium Tremens on tap as well. They also have 4 rotating taps that will carry seasonals and other random beers. It looked like one was dedicated to Alley Kats Dragon Series Double IPA's.
My 'significant other' works at another restaurant within the CHG so she's been giving me some behind the scenes info on MKT. She told me a while back that it was going to be pretty pricey, and I guess she was correct. I think it's pretty consistent with the overall approach of the company (Century Grill, 100, Deluxe, Lux): really good but not amazing food, cool modern atmosphere, and a good drink selection (obviously amplified in the beer department). She also got to sample a lot of the menu items before they finalized it, said the head chef had some cool dishes.

Doesn't surprise me that the staff didn't know too much about the beers, I know for a fact a couple people that were hired have no serving or bar tending experience.

I think I'm going to check it out this weekend and I'll have some insider opinion on what to eat

What's a good, unique beer that they have on tap that I should try Reimer? I know a decent amount about beer in general but not that much about different brands and their specific tastes.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Ive heard mixed things about it (MKT that is). I'll be going for happy hour tomorrow.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Ive heard mixed things about it (MKT that is). I'll be going for happy hour tomorrow.
Do they even have a happy hour? I never saw anything advertised anywhere.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
What's a good, unique beer that they have on tap that I should try Reimer? I know a decent amount about beer in general but not that much about different brands and their specific tastes.
When I went there Alley Kat had just released they Yellow Dragon and they had it on tap. I was excited to try it and if you like Double IPA's I'd reccomend it. It's crazy how they use the same recipe and just change the hopps and how different it actually makes the beer.

A lot of people in here and others that I've heard have raved about Delirium Tremens. I've never had it myself but the next time I'm in there or a Sugar Bowl I'll definitely get a pint. It's a Belgian Strong Ale, Belgian beer is held in high regards across the world but I find a bunch of it is hit and miss. However it does have a very high score on ratebeer.com at 96/100. I also just had the Houblon Chouffe IPA Tripel this past weekend it was a fantastic beer. I can imagine it would be even better on tap then it was in the bottle. It's a 9% beer and the best part is it is so smooth that it doesn't taste the least bit boozy. The hoppiness to it is very smooth as well. This beer gets a 99/100 on ratebeer.com.

If you're looking for something less complex the Shock Top is a very good Wit. Ihad it for the first time a couple months ago when I was in Vegas.

Honestly as long as you stay away from the big brewery stuff you can't really go wrong with the majority of stuff on that list.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Skm

Took this picture as I enjoyed this on Friday:

I haven't had a strong beer in a while so once I got over that I really liked it. I'll try it on tap before I form a solid opinion on it but my first impression was a good one.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:05 PM
sgm1

Quote:
When I went there Alley Kat had just released they Yellow Dragon and they had it on tap. I was excited to try it and if you like Double IPA's I'd reccomend it. It's crazy how they use the same recipe and just change the hopps and how different it actually makes the beer.

A lot of people in here and others that I've heard have raved about Delirium Tremens. I've never had it myself but the next time I'm in there or a Sugar Bowl I'll definitely get a pint. It's a Belgian Strong Ale, Belgian beer is held in high regards across the world but I find a bunch of it is hit and miss. However it does have a very high score on ratebeer.com at 96/100. I also just had the Houblon Chouffe IPA Tripel this past weekend it was a fantastic beer. I can imagine it would be even better on tap then it was in the bottle. It's a 9% beer and the best part is it is so smooth that it doesn't taste the least bit boozy. The hoppiness to it is very smooth as well. This beer gets a 99/100 on ratebeer.com.

If you're looking for something less complex the Shock Top is a very good Wit. Ihad it for the first time a couple months ago when I was in Vegas.

Honestly as long as you stay away from the big brewery stuff you can't really go wrong with the majority of stuff on that list.
I tried to order Shock Top (on tap) at MKT last weekend, but they didn't have it yet (the waitress think it will be another month or more before they get it). I also tried to find it at sherbooke...again, not such luck. Anyone see it in Edmonton yet?

Overall, i thought MKT was typical of a modern mix of bar/pub. It is very typical of an earls/joeys, however obviously looking for more of a whyte ave feel.

I think I'll enjoy the bar more on thursday when every single pint is on sale for $4 (not like the regularly priced $6-$9 pints).

sgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm1 View Post
I tried to order Shock Top (on tap) at MKT last weekend, but they didn't have it yet (the waitress think it will be another month or more before they get it). I also tried to find it at sherbooke...again, not such luck. Anyone see it in Edmonton yet?

Overall, i thought MKT was typical of a modern mix of bar/pub. It is very typical of an earls/joeys, however obviously looking for more of a whyte ave feel.

I think I'll enjoy the bar more on thursday when every single pint is on sale for $4 (not like the regularly priced $6-$9 pints).
I completely agree. It will be my Thursday watering hole. They are pricey but so is every other century group restaurant.

Oh I didn't realize they didn't actually have the Shock Top. I just noticed it on the menu and assumed they would.

Old
06-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Skm

Went to MKT on Tuesday night.

I'm probably a little biased but I really enjoyed it. The service was good and the food took less than 15 mins and tasted really good. Only gripe is that it was really loud, hard to have a conversation across the table.

Tried a beer that I had never heard of, Erdinger Dunkel:

I don't know too much about dark beers (like what makes them dark and sometimes thicker) but I really enjoyed the taste. It was like a less thick version of Guiness.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Went to MKT on Tuesday night.

I'm probably a little biased but I really enjoyed it. The service was good and the food took less than 15 mins and tasted really good. Only gripe is that it was really loud, hard to have a conversation across the table.

Tried a beer that I had never heard of, Erdinger Dunkel:

I don't know too much about dark beers (like what makes them dark and sometimes thicker) but I really enjoyed the taste. It was like a less thick version of Guiness.
Yeah that beer compared to Guiness is that it's a lager as opposed to an Ale. It'll have a little more flavor. Guiness isn't really a heavy beer it's just because of the nitrogen in it that give it that really large thick creamy head. The stuff from Erdinger is good, try their Weiss if you ever see it around.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Skm

Quote:
Yeah that beer compared to Guiness is that it's a lager as opposed to an Ale. It'll have a little more flavor. Guiness isn't really a heavy beer it's just because of the nitrogen in it that give it that really large thick creamy head. The stuff from Erdinger is good, try their Weiss if you ever see it around.
Ahh, gotcha. I need to do some beer research, I don't really know what goes into each type/brand or how the process differs.

I just know that I like all kinds, haha.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Ahh, gotcha. I need to do some beer research, I don't really know what goes into each type/brand or how the process differs.

I just know that I like all kinds, haha.
Same here, you can't really go wrong with beer.

For all the soccer fans, they(Erdinger) just released a special gift pack for the Euro 2012 and it comes with 5 of their Weisse beers and a glass that shaped like the Euro cup trophy. I saw it at Sherbrooke for like $24 I think.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I took advantage of Sherbrookes deal on Canada Day of buying the Innis & Gunn Canada Day beer for $0.50(including GST and deposit) if you spent $18.67.

I got some of the 2011 and some of the 2012 edition. I recall having the 2011 edition last year around the time it came and thought it was average. I tried another one yesterday and thought it was phenomenal, I think it did it good to sit for about a year, it was super smooth and the aromatic smell of fuggle hops really stood out. For an 8.2% beer the alcohol didn't stand out at all.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Pterodactyl
Houston Texans Balla

I don't know if there was a difference, but i thought the 2010 Canada Day was much better then the 2011. Have a bottle of the 2012 but have not been home recently to have actually tried it yet.

Pterodactyl is offline   Reply With Quote