HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I don't know if there was a difference, but i thought the 2010 Canada Day was much better then the 2011. Have a bottle of the 2012 but have not been home recently to have actually tried it yet.
Yeah every year it is a different recipe. Except for maybe the 2009 and 2010 might have both of been a Canadian Whiskey Cask used to age the beer. Likely they used different hopps in both.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:28 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
The other thing about I&G is every year it's aged less and less in barrels. The first year I think it was 77 days, this year it was only 51 days I believe. That is going to affect the taste as well.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
The other thing about I&G is every year it's aged less and less in barrels. The first year I think it was 77 days, this year it was only 51 days I believe. That is going to affect the taste as well.
Could be different barrels they are using though, so the difference in aging time would make sense.

Either way with a different recipe, ie. different malts and hops the different aging times in the barrels also makes sense.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:01 PM
cfrancis

That very well could be the case.

I was thinking that if they are using the same types of barrels, with the reduction in contact time, you are also going to have a reduction in the flavours injected into the beer from the oak

Old
07-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Welcome to beer science 101...starring Reimer and with special guest star cfrancis.

This thread has been really interesting. Good work.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Welcome to beer science 101...starring Reimer and with special guest star cfrancis.

This thread has been really interesting. Good work.
Hey I try to pass on what little knowledge I've acquired about the stuff since I've really gotten into it.

Started out with a small curiosity into better beers and then turned into home brewing. Can't go wrong either way.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
That very well could be the case.

I was thinking that if they are using the same types of barrels, with the reduction in contact time, you are also going to have a reduction in the flavours injected into the beer from the oak
Oh no for sure and the more the barrel gets used the longer it would have to sit in there to obtain similar flavors to the last batch.

From what I understand when they put their beer in the barrels they literally taste it every day and basically just shoot for a specific flavor and then bottle it.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:04 PM
cfrancis

I wouldn't assume that they are using the same barrels for each years version. I would assume that they use a new batch every year.

First beer back after 5 days of sick with the kids. Some stupid stomach bug. Taking it pretty slow. Simple Malt Cascade Special IPA.

Also picked up some Cantillon Bio and Kisseymeyer today.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:09 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Tried a few beers this weekend while taking in UFC 148;

Tried it. LOVED it. A lot. It's great on a hot day...It has a hint of Rye without being overly dry and a nice refreshing but spicy ginger finish that manages to not be overwhelming.

Not bad. I sorta expected a bit of a sweetness, but it was tart; however, very drinkable. Another great summer choice.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:17 PM
40oz

9 bucks for a 12 pack of Presidents Choice Honey Red Lager. Fun times.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

Also picked up some Cantillon Bio and Kisseymeyer today.
Awesome I went to a cantillion tasting at keg n cork last night and tried all 7 that are available in Alberta. Haven't been exposed too much to the sours but I became a fan. Really good stuff but they didn't have the one you're referring to.

Old
07-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
Picked up some of the Alley Kat organic lager yesterday. This beer is great on a hot day, since it's got a relatively mild flavour and is super refreshing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post

Not bad. I sorta expected a bit of a sweetness, but it was tart; however, very drinkable. Another great summer choice.
I love this beer, I picked it up in a mill st. sampler a while back. It's great for summer, as is the Stock Ale. Some may complain the Stock Ale is light on flavour, but that's what makes it good for summer - I personally don't want a super hoppy beer when it's 30+ outside.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Has anybody ever seen Bass ale in Edmonton anywhere ?

Groucho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:37 PM
millax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Has anybody ever seen Bass ale in Edmonton anywhere ?
I don't recall ever seeing it. Had it when I was in the UK though. Pretty tasty.

I also checked Liquor Connect and there is no listing of it at all in Alberta so I doubt you will have much luck finding it. Sorry!

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

I know I'm sick of Coors lite. I like St-Ambroise a lot and la fin du monde.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:32 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Picked up some of the Alley Kat organic lager yesterday. This beer is great on a hot day, since it's got a relatively mild flavour and is super refreshing.

I love this beer, I picked it up in a mill st. sampler a while back. It's great for summer, as is the Stock Ale. Some may complain the Stock Ale is light on flavour, but that's what makes it good for summer - I personally don't want a super hoppy beer when it's 30+ outside.
yup, one of my favourite summer beers is a bit of a guilty pleasure...Red Stripe is FANTASTIC when it's 30+ degrees out. Light, easy to drink but not so watery that it's disappointing.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:23 PM
cfrancis

Any of you guys want some eastern beers. Unibroue, St. Ambroise, Mill Street, etc. Let me know. I'd love to get my hands on some west coast stuff. Alley kat, Phillips, Wild Rose, etc.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Heading to Maui tomorrow, can't wait to enjoy large amounts of Coors. Minus the light.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by millax View Post
I don't recall ever seeing it. Had it when I was in the UK though. Pretty tasty.

I also checked Liquor Connect and there is no listing of it at all in Alberta so I doubt you will have much luck finding it. Sorry!
I suspected as much. Sucks, its a plenty in the pacific NW but no where to be seen around here. :/

Groucho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:31 PM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
One caveat: Beer on tap is only potentially better (lets ignore aging issues) if the lines are properly maintained and cleaned.

Most big Belgians really benefit from sitting down in a cool dark place for a couple of years, unless you're drinking saisons.
This so true - about clean lines. It's surprising what a huge difference it can make...

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:10 AM
the pen is mightier

Speaking of Belgians, has anyone heard anything in the way of timing for the Westlevtern (sp?) at Sherbrooke?

- kinda new here, and my beer knowledge outweighs hockey, so seemed like the place to start.

the pen is mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:38 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
Heading to Maui tomorrow, can't wait to enjoy large amounts of Coors. Minus the light.

Do yourself a favour and find the micro brewery on the west side of the island just past Lahaina. I believe it's in Ka'na'pali. I'm sure BBO would be able to confirm.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:41 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pen is mightier View Post
Speaking of Belgians, has anyone heard anything in the way of timing for the Westlevtern (sp?) at Sherbrooke?

- kinda new here, and my beer knowledge outweighs hockey, so seemed like the place to start.
Last I heard it is to arrive this week on the 20th. Sherbrooke has some pre-order space left but are expected to sell out by the arrival date. If you check there and strike out then check out Keg & Cork on the south side, I just pre-ordered from them and they had a bunch of spaces left.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:42 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Any of you guys want some eastern beers. Unibroue, St. Ambroise, Mill Street, etc. Let me know. I'd love to get my hands on some west coast stuff. Alley kat, Phillips, Wild Rose, etc.
I wanted to do a trade with you a while back and then you never responded to any of my PM's, what gives?

Old
07-15-2012, 04:11 AM
n7

Finally made it to MKT.

Fantastic selection of beer, as i'd seen from the menu listed online.

I did have the Delerium Tremens and loved it as i always have.

Service was superb, manager stopped by to ask us how it was and for feedback.

We were all very happy with everything except the price...

Pricing is just insane.

As she explained, they are intentionally going for a more mature crowd than the student/younger crowd with the pricing, and i can definitely understand if it works.

But i just cannot see myself going back very much as pricing is just wild.
$9.25 for an Innis and Gunn?!
$9.25 for 400ml Strongbow?
The Unibroue 750ml one (forget which one) was like $15+ IIRC.
Everything, including garbage domestic beers was just ridiculous...they definitely do not want people who like value to return
Food is also very pricey.

It is indeed very hard to get into Sugarbowl, but the prices there are much more tolerable and they have an awesome selection as well.

I really liked MKT and their service and everything about it too, just going to have a really hard time justifying frequent visits...would much rather save the pennies and head back to Europe next summer again where the selection of great beer is better and WAY cheaper everywhere...

n7 is offline   Reply With Quote