HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
07-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n7 View Post
Finally made it to MKT.

Fantastic selection of beer, as i'd seen from the menu listed online.

I did have the Delerium Tremens and loved it as i always have.

Service was superb, manager stopped by to ask us how it was and for feedback.

We were all very happy with everything except the price...

Pricing is just insane.

As she explained, they are intentionally going for a more mature crowd than the student/younger crowd with the pricing, and i can definitely understand if it works.

But i just cannot see myself going back very much as pricing is just wild.
$9.25 for an Innis and Gunn?!
$9.25 for 400ml Strongbow?
The Unibroue 750ml one (forget which one) was like $15+ IIRC.
Everything, including garbage domestic beers was just ridiculous...they definitely do not want people who like value to return
Food is also very pricey.

It is indeed very hard to get into Sugarbowl, but the prices there are much more tolerable and they have an awesome selection as well.

I really liked MKT and their service and everything about it too, just going to have a really hard time justifying frequent visits...would much rather save the pennies and head back to Europe next summer again where the selection of great beer is better and WAY cheaper everywhere...
Exactly MKT will be nothing more than a Thursday night experience for me.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Valens

Anyone else get in on the Westvleteren 12 shipment arriving at Sherbrooke on the 20th? I've had the beer before at the monastery in Belgium, and I can confirm the beer is incredible. Get your hands on it if you can. I think they're still taking preorders.

Valens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:09 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 1247
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I wanted to do a trade with you a while back and then you never responded to any of my PM's, what gives?
Sorry dude, got caught up with some other trades and lost track. I'll PM you.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by n7 View Post
Finally made it to MKT.

Fantastic selection of beer, as i'd seen from the menu listed online.

I did have the Delerium Tremens and loved it as i always have.

Service was superb, manager stopped by to ask us how it was and for feedback.

We were all very happy with everything except the price...

Pricing is just insane.

As she explained, they are intentionally going for a more mature crowd than the student/younger crowd with the pricing, and i can definitely understand if it works.
I was recently in Brussels (2 weeks ago), and I experienced the greatness that is the Delirium Cafe. They sell TWO LITRES of this 11% beer there in gigantic mugs. They also have 2000 different beers stored (apparently they lost count, so it's an estimate) along with at least 25+ beers on tap.

Here is a picture I took

Oh and Nocturnum > Tremens IMO

Also, I found this nifty beer glass in Brugge, which I bought.

-------------

I came back from Munich yesterday, which is easily my favorite city for beer. For one, I could drink Hefeweizen for the rest of my life. I am also in love with the biergarten and bierhall culture. I went on a really good Paulaner brewery tour, but my favorite weissbier was Augustiner. That place is really something special. I bought a Paulaner weissbier glass, an Augustiner weissbier glass, and a Hofbrau stein. Sadly, only the stein survived the plane ride, the other two smashed. I am looking to replace them, and if anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are some random pictures I took:

Last one is a dark weissbier, Dunkelweizen by Paulaner

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:53 PM
mooseisloose11

Recently did a Northern Cali Beercation, highlights include:

Laguinitas(Petaluma)
Russian River(Santa Rosa)
Bear Republic(Healdsberg)
Napa Smith(Napa)
21st Amendment(San Fran)
Tornado Pub (San Fran)
Social Kitchen and Brewery(San Fran)
Triple Rock(Berkeley)

I'll post some pics of the beers that made it home...

And this place http://www.bottlebarn.com/beer/ made me cry with envy- there wasnt a beer that they didnt have. Flats of Pliny and one-off collaboration brews lined up I'd say its 3-4 times bigger than Sherbrooke.

Edmonton is slowly getting it- but we are still years behind.

mooseisloose11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseisloose11 View Post
In terms of what?

You realize how heavily regulated the industry is here right?

Also that's a pretty impressive list and there are still so many more great Cali breweries.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
I was recently in Brussels (2 weeks ago), and I experienced the greatness that is the Delirium Cafe. They sell TWO LITRES of this 11% beer there in gigantic mugs. They also have 2000 different beers stored (apparently they lost count, so it's an estimate) along with at least 25+ beers on tap.

Here is a picture I took

Oh and Nocturnum > Tremens IMO

Also, I found this nifty beer glass in Brugge, which I bought.

-------------

I came back from Munich yesterday, which is easily my favorite city for beer. For one, I could drink Hefeweizen for the rest of my life. I am also in love with the biergarten and bierhall culture. I went on a really good Paulaner brewery tour, but my favorite weissbier was Augustiner. That place is really something special. I bought a Paulaner weissbier glass, an Augustiner weissbier glass, and a Hofbrau stein. Sadly, only the stein survived the plane ride, the other two smashed. I am looking to replace them, and if anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
That is awesome man, I'm pretty jealous right now. I've love to go to the Delerium Cafe.

As for the Pauwel Kwak glass you can get those here in the gift sets. I believe I got mine for $30 or so in a gift set with 4 beers. It's a neat looking glass but honestly I never use it because it's a pain in the ass.

As for the glasses why wouldn't you have kept them in your carry on? That's the only way I transport breakables when I travel.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valens View Post
Anyone else get in on the Westvleteren 12 shipment arriving at Sherbrooke on the 20th? I've had the beer before at the monastery in Belgium, and I can confirm the beer is incredible. Get your hands on it if you can. I think they're still taking preorders.
Yeah like I said on thelast page you can pre-order at both Sherbrooke and Keg & Cork. Sherbrooke said they were expected to sell out by Friday and Keg & Cork still had some space if you miss out there. I haven't had this beer but I know it is not to be missed.

Would you recommend keeping a bottle or two and celaring for a year or longer?

Old
07-16-2012, 02:25 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Totally jealous. I have some acquaintances in Europe and could likely couch-surf around both scandanavia and bavaria for cheap if I could save a few dollars.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Truth Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valens View Post
Didn't realize they were getting some. My wife bought me one on the black market for Christmas. Haven't drank it yet. Still waiting for an occasion that will justify it.

Truth Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Accent Lounge has also bought some of the supply that is coming in and will be selling it by the bottle in thier lounge this Friday the 20th. They will be selling it for $15 a bottle which is very reasonable and pretty much their cost if not less.

Old
07-16-2012, 08:21 PM
mooseisloose11

Quote:
In terms of what?

You realize how heavily regulated the industry is here right?

Also that's a pretty impressive list and there are still so many more great Cali breweries.
Ya without a doubt AB is highly regulated. Its def better than it was 5-8yrs, but still frustrating when you go to BC and see so much more selection and quality- not necessarily from the local BC breweries either. AB also seems to be a tougher place to start a brewery- I think there is a min production amount which requires a lot of capital to get the required equipment.

BC is up to @60 micro breweries.
AB @10 that I can think of.
And South of us in Montana -26 with a State population of 1mil.

Oh well- once Sierra Nevada comes, I'll be happy for a while

mooseisloose11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:43 PM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Recently did a Northern Cali Beercation, highlights include:

Laguinitas(Petaluma)
Russian River(Santa Rosa)
Bear Republic(Healdsberg)
Napa Smith(Napa)
21st Amendment(San Fran)
Tornado Pub (San Fran)
Social Kitchen and Brewery(San Fran)
Triple Rock(Berkeley)

I'll post some pics of the beers that made it home...

And this place http://www.bottlebarn.com/beer/ made me cry with envy- there wasnt a beer that they didnt have. Flats of Pliny and one-off collaboration brews lined up I'd say its 3-4 times bigger than Sherbrooke.

Nicely done!

I'm a big fan of Russian River.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:01 PM
cfrancis

Quote:

Would you recommend keeping a bottle or two and celaring for a year or longer?
Absolutely. I'd put them away for as long as you could possibly stand. I've got 8 tucked away.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Ya without a doubt AB is highly regulated. Its def better than it was 5-8yrs, but still frustrating when you go to BC and see so much more selection and quality- not necessarily from the local BC breweries either. AB also seems to be a tougher place to start a brewery- I think there is a min production amount which requires a lot of capital to get the required equipment.

BC is up to @60 micro breweries.
AB @10 that I can think of.
And South of us in Montana -26 with a State population of 1mil.

Oh well- once Sierra Nevada comes, I'll be happy for a while
Yes the industry for breweries in the province is the way it is because of exactly what you said, large start up capital. However your initial comment came after you posted a liquor store that had tons of selection. That's the one golden thing of AB is that they can literally bring in almost anything but shipping their own provinces stuff out is the big hurdle. When it comes to what you can find in liquor stores AB is almost second to none when you don't pay attention to the large corportations selections like Liquor Depot and Superstore Liquorstore. Everyone here who wants good beer knows exactly where to find it.

Old
07-17-2012, 05:45 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
That is awesome man, I'm pretty jealous right now. I've love to go to the Delerium Cafe.

As for the Pauwel Kwak glass you can get those here in the gift sets. I believe I got mine for $30 or so in a gift set with 4 beers. It's a neat looking glass but honestly I never use it because it's a pain in the ass.

As for the glasses why wouldn't you have kept them in your carry on? That's the only way I transport breakables when I travel.
I was on a weekend trip from Oxford University (studying there), and I didn't have any luggage besides my carry-on. With all that glass and clothes, it was a bit packed. Long story short, the Hefeweizen glasses, which are fragile to begin with, cracked.

Paulaner should be easy to replace, not sure about Augustiner.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:11 AM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Everyone here who wants good beer knows exactly where to find it.
Thanks in part to this thread.

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
Now we're speaking my language.

After visiting Germany a few times and loving their beer, it made me interested in the craft breweries we have here.

I enjoyed beers like

König Ludwig Weissbier
König Ludwig Dunkel
(for sure my favorite, too bad I can't find any here)
Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse
Schneider & Sohn Aventinus
Hofbräuhaus not just great beer, but great food. Pricey but it's worth it.

Anyone ever tried Yukon Brewery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Pfttt....

Yeah, I like that one. Also the Konig Ludwig is quite good.

The thing with Hoegaarden is I find it very inconsistent. Sometimes it's the nectar of the gods. Full of flavor. Others, it's watered down. No other beer I've ever had has been so inconsistent, but when I get the good batches, mmmmm....
Two days ago I was at Neuschwanstein Castle (the one that inspired Walt Disney for the logo), and it was built by "Mad" King Ludwig. There was a restaurant at the foot of the mountain/hill it's on that served this wonderful lager. I wasn't aware it was sold worldwide, but apparently it is pretty big.

Here's a picture of the beer and the castle.

EDIT: I also had this the other day. It's probably one of the most unique beers I have ever tasted.
I went to the local Tesco and bought that beer, Fuller's 1845, Bombardier, and Hobgoblin. I was satisfied by all four, which is odd because I generally dont like English beer.

Last edited by Matt Ryan: 07-17-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old
07-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSynergy View Post
i just load up on weihenstephanser whenever i stop by sherbrooke
Weihenstephaner is the best beer I have ever had. I dont expect that to change, and I was supremely disappointed that the brewery was closed when I was in Munich.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Thanks in part to this thread.
Hey I try to help out where I can. For anyonje who would really like to gain more knowledge about the Canadian craft beer scene and even just great beer in general I recon that you find and talk to a fellow named Shane. He currently runs the Edmonton Beer Geeks Anonymous meetings that get held once a month at Wunderbar(who has a great selection of beers for reasonable prices).

Shane couldn't be happier to talk about beer and to educate some folks on it too.

Old
07-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Absolutely. I'd put them away for as long as you could possibly stand. I've got 8 tucked away.
Nice well only 4 are coming in the current pack. I have to try one right away so I know what it tastes like. Problem with tucking them away for a while is that if you've had only one or none it will be tough to guage it in a year or so to see what it will be like and how it differs.

Oh well maybe to get more I'll have to hit up a couple of the local pubs who will be selling it by the bottle to get to taste some more of it for now.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:28 PM
40oz

Just picked up a case of the IPA Paddock Wood, delish. Looking forward to trying more of their stuff.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:37 PM
cfrancis

Is that the 606? Easily drinkable but lacks the oomph you get from the big IPA's out there.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Is that the 606? Easily drinkable but lacks the oomph you get from the big IPA's out there.
Yeah that's the 606. Definitely lacks the omph, but one thing that sets it apart is how malty it is compared to other IPA's. I love it for this reason. Either way if 40oz is a fan of the 606, then definitely try their other stuff. Personally one of my favourite breweries. If you ever have a chance try the hot chocolate stout that they make for Sherbrooke and is sold in single bottles.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Anyone else going ASAP tomorrow morning to get their Westvleteran 12?