HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
08-24-2012, 03:28 PM
mooseisloose11

vCash: 500
Reimer

Have you tried the Muskoka Mad Tom IPA? Its not bad- nice to see another decent CAN IPA- Red Racer is by far the best in CAN. I also tried another good Ont beer- it was in a tall can Green and Black- cant remeber the name though.

I just brewed a Saison using WY3711- that yeast is crazy. Went from 1.056 to 1.005 in 8 days!! Mashed at 147 for 90min for a highly fermentable wort and to get the dry finish.

Cheers.

mooseisloose11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Oh wow that's a huge drop, especially for a Saisson. But that should be somewhere around 6.7% abv which makes the style more interesting imo. Did you ferment it at a fairly high temp? The attenuation should only be around 77-83% and a quick calc there says you were around 91%. Be interesting to see how that turns out though. We are just getting into all grain brewing just sold a bunch of my random equipment earlier this week that we used for kits and plan on upgrading. Guess we are officially hooked now.

As for the Mad Tom I have tried it and I like it. It is a solid NA style IPA. I've really good thing about Half Pint Lil Scrapper IPA and would like to try it but I haven't as of yet.

Also if you like that IPA from Muskoka try thier other stuff. Other than their Cream Ale I've been impressed with everything else. As for the cream ale it wasn't bad but that just another stlye I'm not really crazy for myself and possibly why I didn't enjoy it.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 02:08 AM
Tangerine
Tier II Fan

vCash: 120
Bought a six pack of Mill St. Stock Ale today. Really good drinking beer - mild flavour and really refreshing. Lack of flavour might turn people off, but it serves a purpose imo

Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:42 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 5380
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah there are definitely positives and negatives to the government controlling liquor.

Can you get the Quidi Vidi Iceberg beer out there?
Never heard of it so no.

Garrison Imperial IPA is coming to the LCBO this fall.

Also the green and black can is probably the new Hops and Robbers. It's kind of meh.

Just got back from Vegas, had some Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, Ranger IPA and Unita IPA. All fantastic but the Sculpin was easily a standout. Even smuggled a bottle home with me.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Bought a six pack of Mill St. Stock Ale today. Really good drinking beer - mild flavour and really refreshing. Lack of flavour might turn people off, but it serves a purpose imo
Oh for sure it's nothing complex or unique. But give me a Mill St stock ale anyday over any of the big companies similar beers. ie. Corona.

Old
08-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Never heard of it so no.

Garrison Imperial IPA is coming to the LCBO this fall.

Also the green and black can is probably the new Hops and Robbers. It's kind of meh.

Just got back from Vegas, had some Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, Ranger IPA and Unita IPA. All fantastic but the Sculpin was easily a standout. Even smuggled a bottle home with me.
Nicely done. Yeah the Garrison Imperial IPA is available by the boat load out here. It's pretty much anything else garisson that's hard to come by. Once in a while you'll see the mixed 6 or else I have seen the Mortello Stout every once in a while too in a 500ml bottle.

Old
08-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Hey cfrancis what Dragon series did I send you I can't remember now? I want to try and find a couple of the older ones if I'm able to but don't want to get the same one. Also Alley Kat is releasing their Pumpkin Pie Spice Ale at the beginning of September as their latest big bottle(was previously a seasonal) and the return of their Oktoberfest as their seasonal.

Also have you tried Alley Kat's brewberry blueberry ale or anything from Ambers?

Old
08-28-2012, 10:58 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 5380
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Hey cfrancis what Dragon series did I send you I can't remember now? I want to try and find a couple of the older ones if I'm able to but don't want to get the same one. Also Alley Kat is releasing their Pumpkin Pie Spice Ale at the beginning of September as their latest big bottle(was previously a seasonal) and the return of their Oktoberfest as their seasonal.

Also have you tried Alley Kat's brewberry blueberry ale or anything from Ambers?
You sent me Indigo. I don't know if you are on ratebeer, but my username is cfrancis. You can see what I've had.

I haven't had the Brewberry blueberry, I haven't had anything from Ambers.

I picked up the Shipyard Smashed Blueberry and Great Lakes 25th Saison for you.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:05 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

As a Calgarian, I've been picking up whatever is brewing from Village Brewery all summer.

It comes in 64oz growlers too. Which means having only one beer turns out pretty well.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:47 AM
schutney

A friend of mine is a liquor rep in the city and mentioned a new bar on the west end of Jasper will be opening up. They will be carrying both Mill St. and Rogue on tap and other craft beers by the bottle. Could be an interesting venture.

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:42 AM
Tangerine
Tier II Fan

Quote:

I haven't tried these flavours of Alley Kat yet, are they any good?
Also, my beer store is having a sale on Sleeman this week, and they're all going except the Sleeman Clear. For anyone who has tried it - is it just not good?

Last edited by Tangerine: 08-29-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old
08-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
I haven't tried these flavours of Alley Kat yet, are they any good?
Also, my beer store is having a sale on Sleeman this week, and they're all going except the Sleeman Clear. For anyone who has tried it - is it just not good?
The Brewberry Blueberry is one of my favorite blueberry Ales but I'm not huge on the Oktoberfest fest style. To be honest I've only tried a couple other Oktoberfest beers though so don't have much to compare it to. I mean it's alright to have one here and there but I think I picked up one 6-pack last year and it lasted me until late into December. As for the Pumpkin I've never tried it myself.

As for sleemans I wouldn't waste my time on any of their beers. Don't you work for a Liquor Depot/Liquor Barn company? If so they have the Muskoka pack this week and you should check that out.

Last edited by Reimer: 08-29-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old
08-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
You sent me Indigo. I don't know if you are on ratebeer, but my username is cfrancis. You can see what I've had.

I haven't had the Brewberry blueberry, I haven't had anything from Ambers.

I picked up the Shipyard Smashed Blueberry and Great Lakes 25th Saison for you.
Alright sounds good, I'll check out your rate beer account. I'm soo looking forward to that GLB Saisson.

Old
08-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
A friend of mine is a liquor rep in the city and mentioned a new bar on the west end of Jasper will be opening up. They will be carrying both Mill St. and Rogue on tap and other craft beers by the bottle. Could be an interesting venture.
Yes this has been talked about for a while now. I'm not sure when the opening date is but they are going to be very similar MKT but much better(hopefully). I believe they plan to have around 70 beers on tap as well. They will be located on Jasper right where the Treasure is but they will be downstairs and is called Underground Tap and Grill.

Here an article from the Journal from back in June that take a sneak peak of their beer menu:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...be-nightspots/

I believe that they plan to have 12 of their 72 taps as rotational taps.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:51 AM
mooseisloose11

Quote:
Oh wow that's a huge drop, especially for a Saisson. But that should be somewhere around 6.7% abv which makes the style more interesting imo. Did you ferment it at a fairly high temp? The attenuation should only be around 77-83% and a quick calc there says you were around 91%. Be interesting to see how that turns out though. We are just getting into all grain brewing just sold a bunch of my random equipment earlier this week that we used for kits and plan on upgrading. Guess we are officially hooked now.

As for the Mad Tom I have tried it and I like it. It is a solid NA style IPA. I've really good thing about Half Pint Lil Scrapper IPA and would like to try it but I haven't as of yet.

Also if you like that IPA from Muskoka try thier other stuff. Other than their Cream Ale I've been impressed with everything else. As for the cream ale it wasn't bad but that just another stlye I'm not really crazy for myself and possibly why I didn't enjoy it.
Ya its at the high end of the style but there are some examples that are 8-9%. FG range for the style is 1.002-1.012 i was getting nervous about mine over attenuating and becoming boozy- took a sample and it was unreal. I fermented it at 20C. I tried the other Saison yeast from Wyeast a year ago and used a brew belt to kept it at 32C for 4 weeks and it turned out good but took forever to finish. I liked my sample so much I brewed it again on Sunday and pitched right onto the yeast cake from the first one. Took reading today down to 1.010 haha -crazy

mooseisloose11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:31 AM
schutney

Quote:
Yes this has been talked about for a while now. I'm not sure when the opening date is but they are going to be very similar MKT but much better(hopefully). I believe they plan to have around 70 beers on tap as well. They will be located on Jasper right where the Treasure is but they will be downstairs and is called Underground Tap and Grill.

Here an article from the Journal from back in June that take a sneak peak of their beer menu:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...be-nightspots/

I believe that they plan to have 12 of their 72 taps as rotational taps.
That's not the bar my friend was talking about. This is on the west end of Jasper near On the Rocks. It won't have 70 beers on tap or anything like that but a smaller menu of craft beers.

Also seems strange to put a beer place like underground underneath Treasury...

Old
08-30-2012, 04:28 AM
Tangerine
Tier II Fan

Quote:
The Brewberry Blueberry is one of my favorite blueberry Ales but I'm not huge on the Oktoberfest fest style. To be honest I've only tried a couple other Oktoberfest beers though so don't have much to compare it to. I mean it's alright to have one here and there but I think I picked up one 6-pack last year and it lasted me until late into December. As for the Pumpkin I've never tried it myself.

As for sleemans I wouldn't waste my time on any of their beers. Don't you work for a Liquor Depot/Liquor Barn company? If so they have the Muskoka pack this week and you should check that out.
Nope, I work at a Sobeys liquor store. I don't like Sleeman myself either, but it's just curious that I have to restock the honey brown,cream,OD every shift I work, yet nobody touches the clear.

Old
08-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseisloose11 View Post
Ya its at the high end of the style but there are some examples that are 8-9%. FG range for the style is 1.002-1.012 i was getting nervous about mine over attenuating and becoming boozy- took a sample and it was unreal. I fermented it at 20C. I tried the other Saison yeast from Wyeast a year ago and used a brew belt to kept it at 32C for 4 weeks and it turned out good but took forever to finish. I liked my sample so much I brewed it again on Sunday and pitched right onto the yeast cake from the first one. Took reading today down to 1.010 haha -crazy
Oh man that's awesome. You should let me try it.

Old
08-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
That's not the bar my friend was talking about. This is on the west end of Jasper near On the Rocks. It won't have 70 beers on tap or anything like that but a smaller menu of craft beers.

Also seems strange to put a beer place like underground underneath Treasury...
Oh okay sounds interesting but it looks slowly like craft beer is starting to push around the big guys. But that's just in all these small venues. It will be a huge day for craft beer when they are finally able to crack the big corporations.

Old
08-30-2012, 11:10 AM
schutney

Quote:
Oh okay sounds interesting but it looks slowly like craft beer is starting to push around the big guys. But that's just in all these small venues. It will be a huge day for craft beer when they are finally able to crack the big corporations.
Got more details on the place. It will be carrying about 10 different Rogues with 1-2 on tap. It will also be carrying the entire Mill St line, Anchor Steam, Dead Frog, Dogfish Head, etc. It is scheduled to open at the end of September. I haven't heard anything about the name yet, but I'm sure their marketing blitz will start soon. I hope the place does well it is the type of place that is needed downtown.

Old
08-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Got more details on the place. It will be carrying about 10 different Rogues with 1-2 on tap. It will also be carrying the entire Mill St line, Anchor Steam, Dead Frog, Dogfish Head, etc. It is scheduled to open at the end of September. I haven't heard anything about the name yet, but I'm sure their marketing blitz will start soon. I hope the place does well it is the type of place that is needed downtown.
Everything sounded super promising until you said Dead Frog. Not terrible beer but it's nothing special. Especially compared to what else they will be carrying.

Old
08-30-2012, 11:26 AM
schutney

Quote:
Everything sounded super promising until you said Dead Frog. Not terrible beer but it's nothing special. Especially compared to what else they will be carrying.
I just repeated what my buddy said, don't know if they will actually carry it or not. But he was very sure regarding the extensive lists of Rogue and Mill St.

Old
08-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Pterodactyl
Houston Texans Balla

Quote:
If this is true then that is exciting. Stoked for that selection of beer.

Pterodactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
If this is true then that is exciting. Stoked for that selection of beer.
Hahaha, you're just a Rogue homer.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:07 AM
Pterodactyl
Houston Texans Balla

Quote:
Hahaha, you're just a Rogue homer.
Not yet, but I hope to be. Haha. My brother is about to start his schooling down in Portland so I plan on going to visit him and checking out the Rogue brewery at the same time. Have only had a few of their large selection thus far.

Pterodactyl is offline   Reply With Quote