HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
08-31-2012, 12:58 AM
schutney

vCash: 500
Another cool tidbit came out regarding the Rogue line up. They are apparently carrying the Rogue Growler jugs. I wasn't completely intrigued by the place but I now am.

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Not yet, but I hope to be. Haha. My brother is about to start his schooling down in Portland so I plan on going to visit him and checking out the Rogue brewery at the same time. Have only had a few of their large selection thus far.
Lets set a date, I'm down for a road trip. We'll go through penticton though and conveniently hit Cannery.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
Another cool tidbit came out regarding the Rogue line up. They are apparently carrying the Rogue Growler jugs. I wasn't completely intrigued by the place but I now am.
Will they be the Rogue branded Growler jugs that you can get filled with whatever? Or will they be the Rogue Yellow Snow IPA growlers that you can purchase for consumption of that specific beer only?

Old
08-31-2012, 10:01 AM
smokersarejokers

If you love craft beer and weird people, you'll love Portland. So many great breweries out there.

Rogue has a really cool pub in downtown Portland, but the brewery is somewhere south of town I think. I find it crazy that they grow all of their own hops and I think they also grow and malt their own barley too.

If you like Belgian beers, Cascade and Upright are really good. Most of the breweries down there (HUB, Deschutes, Bridgeport) just make a lot of IPAs and other Pacific NW beers (which are great), but it was cool to see Upright and Cascade doing something different.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
If you love craft beer and weird people, you'll love Portland. So many great breweries out there.

Rogue has a really cool pub in downtown Portland, but the brewery is somewhere south of town I think. I find it crazy that they grow all of their own hops and I think they also grow and malt their own barley too.

If you like Belgian beers, Cascade and Upright are really good. Most of the breweries down there (HUB, Deschutes, Bridgeport) just make a lot of IPAs and other Pacific NW beers (which are great), but it was cool to see Upright and Cascade doing something different.
Yeah that's a fair comment. They do tend to make a lot of pacific NW beers which are great but it is cool to see variety. On the other hand though it is no different when you go to Belgium most of the breweries focus on the Belgian style of beers.

As for Rogue, the Rogue farm does grow hopps and barley. However they don't exclusively use just these hopps and grains for their beers. But rather an addition that no other beers will have. Which I think is one thing that makes Rogue very unique and it helps that the brewer has some very solid recipes. Like the Dad's Little Helper Cascadian is fantastic.

Edit: Although I do believe that the Chatoe Rogue beers are made exclusively from just their ingredients that are grown on the Rogue Farm. For their Pumpkin Patch Ale they grow their own pumpkins for the beer. Pretty awesome set-up that they have there and I'd love to see it first hand.

Old
08-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Pterodactyl
Houston Texans Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post

Wow, thanks for all the info. I do enjoy Belgian beers so I'll have to check out those breweries as well. Hadn't had a chance yet to actually plan the trip down there but now i have those on my radar.

Pterodactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:16 PM
cfrancis

Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Nice little pick up from my US warehouse.

Couple of trades just landed.

Russian River Damnation x 6
Ninkasi Believer Double Red x 3
Green Flash Imperial Red
Port Brewing Wipeout IPA
Left Coast Hop Juice
Hanger 24 Double IPA
Hanger 24 Orange Wheat
Bootleggers Golden Chaos

Also picked up a new local in Kichessippi Hop fenweiss

Trois Mousquetaires Special Edition Baltique Porter aged in Bourbon Barrel
Brasseurs du Temps Obscur Desir aged in Jim Beam.

good day for beer!

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 12:56 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post

Green Flash Imperial Red
Port Brewing Wipeout IPA
Left Coast Hop Juice
Hanger 24 Double IPA
Hanger 24 Orange Wheat
Bootleggers Golden Chaos

good day for beer!
Nice sounds like a good haul. I'm kinda of laughing at the name of the one beer "bootleggers".

Both those barrel aged beers sound phenomenal too.

Old
09-02-2012, 03:04 AM
smokersarejokers

Quote:

Green Flash Imperial Red
Port Brewing Wipeout IPA
Left Coast Hop Juice
Hanger 24 Double IPA
Hanger 24 Orange Wheat
Bootleggers Golden Chaos

good day for beer!
Russian River rules! I've always loved their products.

Let us know how these beers taste!

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 03:15 AM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 50
Bought a six pack of Hoegaarden today. Love it. Easy drinking, nice citrusy flavour. A tad expensive, so I guess it'll be an occasional treat.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Bought a six pack of Hoegaarden today. Love it. Easy drinking, nice citrusy flavour. A tad expensive, so I guess it'll be an occasional treat.
Haha if you consider that expensive it might be a bit before you get into craft beer. Good to see you expanding you taste buds and willing to try new things. I remember when I was at that stage and A mixer pack of Rickards was the **** to me compared to Kokanee and Canadian.

Old
09-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Haha if you consider that expensive it might be a bit before you get into craft beer. Good to see you expanding you taste buds and willing to try new things. I remember when I was at that stage and A mixer pack of Rickards was the **** to me compared to Kokanee and Canadian.
well it's 17 dollars for a 6 pack; I'd rather get a box of Alley Kat or GIB for a few bucks less
I've been meaning to try some of the Quebec micros at my store as well. This one with a picture of the province on the box on a purple background sells well.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 01:50 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
well it's 17 dollars for a 6 pack; I'd rather get a box of Alley Kat or GIB for a few bucks less
I've been meaning to try some of the Quebec micros at my store as well. This one with a picture of the province on the box on a purple background sells well.
No I understand I'm not judging. Honestly you remind me of myself when I started getting into beer. I vowed to not pay more than 12-13 bucks for a 6 pack. Now I'm paying 15-20 for a single 650ml bottle and have really been debating dropping the 80 or so bucks on the 330ml bottle of tactical nuclear penguin. If you enjoy beer and have the budget for it there will come a point where you disregard price to just try something at least once.

Old
09-03-2012, 11:00 AM
the pen is mightier

Quote:
No I understand I'm not judging. Honestly you remind me of myself when I started getting into beer. I vowed to not pay more than 12-13 bucks for a 6 pack. Now I'm paying 15-20 for a single 650ml bottle and have really been debating dropping the 80 or so bucks on the 330ml bottle of tactical nuclear penguin. If you enjoy beer and have the budget for it there will come a point where you disregard price to just try something at least once.
I happen to have a spare penguin lying around, PM me if you're interested.

the pen is mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 01:23 PM
cfrancis

Quote:
'

Nice sounds like a good haul. I'm kinda of laughing at the name of the one beer "bootleggers".

Both those barrel aged beers sound phenomenal too.

I'll see if I can rustle up an Obscur Desir aged in Jim Beam for you.

Old
09-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I'll see if I can rustle up an Obscur Desir aged in Jim Beam for you.
Sounds good I've been grabbing random stuff that I've seen too. Picked up a Pandamonium today, it's Phillips 11th anniversary beer. Also are you into Hefe's? WildRoses Hoodoo Hefe is still available and I can grab that for you. I'm also starting to notice a lot Nickelbrook beers around here too. The place I was at today have their IPA that you sent me as well as the Apple Pilsner and their Gluten Free beer.

Old
09-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pen is mightier View Post
I happen to have a spare penguin lying around, PM me if you're interested.
Definitely interested, let me know what you want.

Old
09-04-2012, 08:57 AM
cfrancis

Quote:
Sounds good I've been grabbing random stuff that I've seen too. Picked up a Pandamonium today, it's Phillips 11th anniversary beer. Also are you into Hefe's? WildRoses Hoodoo Hefe is still available and I can grab that for you. I'm also starting to notice a lot Nickelbrook beers around here too. The place I was at today have their IPA that you sent me as well as the Apple Pilsner and their Gluten Free beer.

I'll go for hefe's. It's great that Ontario breweries are starting to expand. How much Brasseurs du Temps is out there? They have some really good stuff.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:33 AM
the pen is mightier

Quote:
Definitely interested, let me know what you want.
Bout the same as retail?

Old
09-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I'll go for hefe's. It's great that Ontario breweries are starting to expand. How much Brasseurs du Temps is out there? They have some really good stuff.
I've honestly never seen any BDT here in Alberta, so to my knowledge there isn't any here. I cracked the one BDT that you sent me this past weekend the Imperial IPA. It was a damn good Imperial IPA. The 10% alcohol hides itself really well and it is very nicely hopped.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pen is mightier View Post
Bout the same as retail?
Thanks but no thanks. I'll just get it from the store when I'm up for dropping that kind of cash on a single bottle of beer.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:41 AM
schutney

So I drove by 118 Street and the old Suede Lounge seems to be under construction this is the place that my buddy was telling me about.

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 10:42 AM
the pen is mightier

Quote:
Thanks but no thanks. I'll just get it from the store when I'm up for dropping that kind of cash on a single bottle of beer.

Fair enough. Just be sure to bring a cooler or something to keep it cold, as they have a tendency to explode if they warm up too much.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:11 PM
cfrancis

Quote:
I've honestly never seen any BDT here in Alberta, so to my knowledge there isn't any here. I cracked the one BDT that you sent me this past weekend the Imperial IPA. It was a damn good Imperial IPA. The 10% alcohol hides itself really well and it is very nicely hopped.
Cool. Their DIPA is obviously better on tap. So ridiculously good.

But they have so much more good stuff.

Obscur Desir - Imperial Stout
Trois Portages - Tripel
Magna Mea Culpa - Barley Wine
Corne et la Muse - Scotch Ale
Saison Haute - Saison (I sent this to you though right)
Dumduminator - Dunkelweizen
La Scie Trouillarde - Pumpkin that's getting bottled right now I think.

I think that's all they bottle

Do you get the Muskoka specials? Harvest Ale, Summer Weiss?

Old
09-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
So did you feel better before or after the 10% kick?

And what is with the fancy french names of some of these beers? What ever happened to something simple...like "beer" beer?

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote