HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
09-28-2012, 08:44 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
How much were the cask samples?

I've got a bunch of tokens for beer so I'll be having probably all 9 at least once. Also planning on taking in many casks as well.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Kekumba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
You get two 4oz cups for one token. Then the 10-12oz (I can't remember) cups of kegged Beau's stuff also cost one token. Food was fairly expensive, but not horrible.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:55 PM
cfrancis

Cool. I'm planning on having a good time. I also have to pick up my Greener Futures bottle.

Did they have bottles of their dubbel there? Staghorn?

Old
09-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
I didn't really check out the merch area at the festival. I bought all my beer and the stein from the brewery beforehand. There was plenty of the dubbel there, as well as the six packs of the Oktoberfest releases. I couldn't find Staghorn, though, and for some reason didn't bother to ask (ended up trying it at the festival...spot on for the style, that's for sure). Still some bottles of barrel aged Beaver River kicking around (I really like it), though I thought they just put out some more barrel aged stuff and I didn't see it. There's a bunch of boxes laying around, some unlabeled. You kinda have to sort through it (or again, ask).

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
I was there tonight. They actually had 48 casks. Dude Where's My Czar, Muskoka Cabin Fever #3, and Flying Monkeys Rose Hopped Hoptical stood out from what I had. Peche Mortel is always quality as well, obviously. I didn't try any of the Beau's stuff, stopped at the brewery beforehand to pick all that up to bring home. Food wise the schnitzel from Schnitzel's Catering was great. I should have bought tickets for Meet The Brewers when I got there as that sold out quickly.
Sounds like a fantastic festival. I never understood why they don't do stuff like this in Alberta. It's taken a guy with a huge passion for beer to push craft beer here and finally put together a cask day here that included only 5 casks. I mean it great and a slow process and I'm glad that it's starting to happen but it just seems second hand nature out there to put these kind of things together. I envy you folks.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 09:40 PM
cfrancis

It's progressing slowly here. Beau's really is pushing things forward. We just had our first beer week. Ottawa really is starved for craft beer. Mill Street opened a brewpub here last winter and it's still packed. Brasseurs du Temps is expanding their bottling.

Now a 3rd has opened and a 4th in the works. Also 3 new breweries and another 1 or 2 on the way.

Things are turning in Ottawa.

Old
09-30-2012, 09:55 PM
40oz

Has anyone gotten growlers of beer from Wine and Beyond? They have 32 craft beers on tap that you can take home in glass jugs. I'm assuming you can taste samples, has anyone seen what the selection is like?

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Has anyone gotten growlers of beer from Wine and Beyond? They have 32 craft beers on tap that you can take home in glass jugs. I'm assuming you can taste samples, has anyone seen what the selection is like?
No they just opened this past weekend, on Saturday actually. They opened two locations, one in Sherwood Park and one in Terwilleger. My understanding isn't that they have 32 craft beer on tap but rather 32 beers. As of this point I'm not sure if it's all craft or not. Wanted to stop in and check them out this weekend but never had the time.

As for Growlers, Keg and Cork fills growlers and they have apparentyl jsut finished up the Mill Street that they were doing and are now onto Rogue.

My understanding is that they have some special Rogue beer that will only be available in Alberta at their Growler filling station.

I did a little more research on Wines and Beyond and I found out they are owned by the people who own the Liquor Depot/Liquor Barn brands. They opened these stores to emulate their huge store that they have Kentucky and is very successful. Thery apparently carry about $5million worth of inventory.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Can't wait for the brewers guild meeting tonight. Hopefully we get a chance to try the brand new Alley Kat Orange Dragon which hits the shelves tomorrow.

They went back to their single hop recipe with this one and hope it exclusively with Summit hops. Should be interesting as this is the highest alpha acid hop out there.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

The Underground Tap & Grill opened in Edmonton yesterday.

They are located at 10004 Jasper Ave and look to be a nice cozy craft beer place. I think for that reason alone they will be miles beyond MKT. Smaller environment will lead to hopefully just hiring knowedgeable beer people. I don't expect them to be a beer nut but have some basic knowledge.

When I was at MKT last thursday I asked what was on the rotational taps and I received a weird look, I said the taps that are continually changing and have different beers from week to week and then it sunk in. They only have 4 unlike the 12 that the Underground will have but upon return I was told one of the taps was one of the beers they've had from day one so I'm not so sure how rotational it is and then the replies for the other three were this:

Ummmm...some sort of Imperial, an....i dunno and a Mikkellers.

Well geez, thanks I'll take the I dunno please.

Anyhow you can follow The Underground on twitter: @underground_edm they are alson on facebook and here is an article of a section of their beer list, I believe I ahve posted it in here before.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...be-nightspots/

One addition to the beer list that I know of is Paddock Woods Loki Imperial IPA.

Old
10-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Also a reminder about SHABAM this Saturday at the Mayfeild Trade Center. It's shaping up to be a good looking line-up and Alley Kat is rumored to be bringing a cask or two to the event. I think that Yukon might also be bringing one as well.

It really is the best beer festival this city has and is put on by Sherbrooke Liquor and all proceeds go to support the kidney foundation.

Old
10-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Silver

Less taps with knowledgeable staff and more cleaning of equipment is much better in my book than huge selection and iffy staff keeping an eye on the place.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:03 PM
barto

Hmmm...the way I read the article on Wine & Beyond (Journal Business section), they sure made it sound like they would have 32 different kinds of beer on tap that could be taken home in (roughly) 500ml and 1L bottles. Anyone been to confirm or deny? We'll be going soon to the Windermere one to check it out (also for their selection of red wine that apparently no one else in Alberta carries).

barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Less taps with knowledgeable staff and more cleaning of equipment is much better in my book than huge selection and iffy staff keeping an eye on the place.
Yep, I would say Coffee, Beer, and Wine, in no particular order rely as much or more on standards of cleanliness and care then what the starting product or ingredients actually are. All of these are very susceptible to off tastes if anything in the process isn't meticulous.

No big deal though when a pot of coffee is off you just throw it out and remember to wash out all the equipment if you want a good cup. But with beer and wine you're talking an entire batch that less that standard and I doubt those huge volumes are going down the drain.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Oh for sure and this is why Three Boars Eatery, Wunderbar and The Next Act are some of the best places to go for beer in the city.

I'm just saying for a place with a big tap selection, I'd trust these guys anyday of the week over the Century Group.

Old
10-03-2012, 04:47 PM
the pen is mightier

What time does it start?

Also, I remeber in the past there were 2 summer beer festivals, there was the one at the Shaw that was a glorified grad party; but there was the one that was at the downtown airport and then Fort Edmonton, does that one still exist?

the pen is mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:38 PM
millax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Oh for sure and this is why Three Boars Eatery, Wunderbar and The Next Act are some of the best places to go for beer in the city.

I'm just saying for a place with a big tap selection, I'd trust these guys anyday of the week over the Century Group.
Hear Hear.

I'm glad to hear the underground is finally opening up. I will definitely be heading down there soon.

There are a few servers at MKT who do know what they are talking about, however I have only encountered them when I am sitting at the bar.

I am glad to see you have dug in to the beer scene Reimer!

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Which place has better food, Three Boars or Next Act?

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 05:09 PM
dyzfunctioned

Hey guys,

Long time lurker - great to see the beer community in Edmonton thriving. That new Underground place looks interesting, too bad it's downtown.

Anyway, just got back from 2 months in Europe and spent a good deal of that sampling different beers. Belgium is definitely the king of beers (and beer pubs) but they just don't do IPA's like they do here in North America. Definitely going to seek a few out.

On the topic of seeking out beer, anyone know if Deschutes or Boulevard are possible to get in the Edmonton area? I've tried Sherbrooke, Keg n' Cork, and a few others with no luck.

dyzfunctioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 08:04 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
I'm in Germany and let me tell you.

These guys know how to make f**king beer!

Yeah, I might have had a good night and am polishing off my, good lord I have no idea how many beers.

Tomorrow night is Oktoberfest night, put on by a bunch of co workers here in Germany for me. Going to be a boatload of Oktoberfest beers and a crap load of meat. My two favourite things!!

Prost!!!
I was at Oktoberfest in Munich last year, and agree 100%. The beer over there is absolutely amazing! My personal favourite was Hofbrau, although Pauliner was probably a close second.

10-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pen is mightier View Post
What time does it start?

Also, I remeber in the past there were 2 summer beer festivals, there was the one at the Shaw that was a glorified grad party; but there was the one that was at the downtown airport and then Fort Edmonton, does that one still exist?
Sorry man I don't know of any beer festivals that were at Fort Edmonton and the Downtown Airport. The one at the shaw is Edmonton Beer Fest and it is just brutal, nothing compared t the one they do in Calgary.

Only beer festivals worth attending in Edmonton are SHABAM, then one at Festival Place in Sherwood Park put on by Little Guy Liquor and then Liquor Select twice a year gets their suppliers out for a small festival/tasting. Other than that I tend to stick away although with the new Co-op in town now it seems that they might be worth checking out. I believe they have some kind of event later this month or early November.

As for SHABAM it starts at 5 and goes to 11 tomorrow.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto View Post
Hmmm...the way I read the article on Wine & Beyond (Journal Business section), they sure made it sound like they would have 32 different kinds of beer on tap that could be taken home in (roughly) 500ml and 1L bottles. Anyone been to confirm or deny? We'll be going soon to the Windermere one to check it out (also for their selection of red wine that apparently no one else in Alberta carries).
Alright I went to the one in Sherwood Park today and they do have a bunch of beers on tap. I'd say around 20 or so and they are all mainly of the craft variety. Not sure when it comes to some of the Euro beers who actually owns them but good selection none the less. As for filling growlers you have to purchase theirs from what I understand but it still works out to a pretty solid deal.

They have a huge beer selection but only keep anything and everything in cases in the cooler. All the single bottles are kept on a shelf at room temperature. Not sure how much of this beer I would trust after it has sat there for a few months, seeing as all their stock should be new it isn't really a problem right now.

All I know though is one guy was going bat **** crazy for Magners Cider. It was "on sale" for 3.99 and he was grabbing every bottle he could. Funny thing is I see it at Keg and Cork all the time for the same price at at the co-op for 3.49 and to top it off it is a very weak cider.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by millax View Post
Hear Hear.

I'm glad to hear the underground is finally opening up. I will definitely be heading down there soon.

There are a few servers at MKT who do know what they are talking about, however I have only encountered them when I am sitting at the bar.

I am glad to see you have dug in to the beer scene Reimer!
Haha when I sat at the counter I tried having a conversation with the guy and brought up craft beer market and how they have 100 beer on tap. The guy responded by saying no they don't, we have the largest selection of beer on tap in north america, that's what our boss told us. I said yeah, well he's wrong.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Which place has better food, Three Boars or Next Act?
Oh man that's like picking between your two best friends or your two kids. Three Boars has a very off the wall menu that constantly changes from week to week. Everything I've ever had has been superb. As for Next Act I firmly believe they have the best burger in town and if you are in a burger mood you better get your ass down there for a burger and a pint.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I was at Oktoberfest in Munich last year, and agree 100%. The beer over there is absolutely amazing! My personal favourite was Hofbrau, although Pauliner was probably a close second.
Augustiner for me.

In other news, I am eagerly awaiting the Pumpkinator, a local seasonal brew from St. Arnold's here in Houston.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote