HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
10-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Augustiner for me.

In other news, I am eagerly awaiting the Pumpkinator, a local seasonal brew from St. Arnold's here in Houston.
They haven't released it yet? The majority of Canadian Breweries that I know of have already released theirs.

Parallel 49 did an interesting one that I saw at the store today where they combined their pumpkin ale and their Oktoberfest. So I assume it's basically a pumpkin marzen.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:41 AM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Oh man that's like picking between your two best friends or your two kids. Three Boars has a very off the wall menu that constantly changes from week to week. Everything I've ever had has been superb. As for Next Act I firmly believe they have the best burger in town and if you are in a burger mood you better get your ass down there for a burger and a pint.
Three Boars sounds right up my alley then. Thanks for the advice!

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 03:45 AM
millax

Quote:
Haha when I sat at the counter I tried having a conversation with the guy and brought up craft beer market and how they have 100 beer on tap. The guy responded by saying no they don't, we have the largest selection of beer on tap in north america, that's what our boss told us. I said yeah, well he's wrong.
One guy I had is good friends with Neil and Lavonne's son, so he had a great grasp on the beers on tap. Made some very solid suggestions based on what I was asking for.

But yeah, MKT is definitely not the best place to learn about beer. The person who was originally in charge of the taps was asking all the craft breweries to pay thousands of dollars per tap to get in there. I think that changed when all the breweries (except for Ambers) laughed and said no.

I am heading over to the new liquor store in Windermere tomorrow and then to Underground tomorrow night. Really hoping for good things.

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by millax View Post
One guy I had is good friends with Neil and Lavonne's son, so he had a great grasp on the beers on tap. Made some very solid suggestions based on what I was asking for.

But yeah, MKT is definitely not the best place to learn about beer. The person who was originally in charge of the taps was asking all the craft breweries to pay thousands of dollars per tap to get in there. I think that changed when all the breweries (except for Ambers) laughed and said no.

I am heading over to the new liquor store in Windermere tomorrow and then to Underground tomorrow night. Really hoping for good things.
I'm thinking I might hit up underground after SHABAM tonight too.

As for Amber's that doesn't surprise me one bit. Jim is more of a businessman than a brewer.

Speaking of Ambers I will be pouring their beer at SHABAM tonight stop by and say hi and shoot the ****.

As for MKT I'm sure there are definitely beer guys that work there it's just hit and miss. Altogether though its not really a place I enjoy going to other than cheap beer night.

As for the liquor store, it's definitely worth checking out but I wasn't overly impressed with it. However I stopped at Little Guy in Sherwood Park last night too and that is one hell of a place. They make a lot out of the small space they had. Spent $50 and came away with 4 bottles of beer: Mikkellers Oak aged barley wine(19.1%), Mikkellers Texas Ranger aged in Bourbon barrells, Brew Dogs Tokyo(18.2%) and Muskoka's Double Chocolate Cranberry Stout.

Last edited by Reimer: 10-06-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old
10-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Three Boars sounds right up my alley then. Thanks for the advice!
Of the two people I've spoken to about 3boars have said they were disappointed with it. Nothing wrong with the food, however they both said the portions are very small for the price. Also, they start preparation for all the orders at the same time and bring it out when it's ready. So a salad will take about 5mins to make whereas a steak can take 20+.

One said she was waiting 45mins after she had finished eating for her boyfriends food to arrive. The other said the same about one of their friends orders. They literally thought the restaurant had forgotten about their order. They were getting ready to leave after 30mins of waiting for the entre when it finally showed up.

I second next act though, best burger I've had in a while.

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
They haven't released it yet? The majority of Canadian Breweries that I know of have already released theirs.

Parallel 49 did an interesting one that I saw at the store today where they combined their pumpkin ale and their Oktoberfest. So I assume it's basically a pumpkin marzen.
Nope, it's some kind of specialty, I'm not really sure. It's separate from their oktoberfest, but my roommate who is a Texan tells me it's great.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 08:47 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Augustiner for me.

In other news, I am eagerly awaiting the Pumpkinator, a local seasonal brew from St. Arnold's here in Houston.

Great beer, buddy of mine from Houston sent me a bottle last year.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Of the two people I've spoken to about 3boars have said they were disappointed with it. Nothing wrong with the food, however they both said the portions are very small for the price. Also, they start preparation for all the orders at the same time and bring it out when it's ready. So a salad will take about 5mins to make whereas a steak can take 20+.

One said she was waiting 45mins after she had finished eating for her boyfriends food to arrive. The other said the same about one of their friends orders. They literally thought the restaurant had forgotten about their order. They were getting ready to leave after 30mins of waiting for the entre when it finally showed up.

I second next act though, best burger I've had in a while.
After reading this I honestly can't disagree. It did take them a bit to bring my food out however I didn't really notice because I was having a good conversation with the bar staff about beer and sipping on it too. So all in all when I reflect it definitely did take some time but this shouldn't be an issue if you aren't in a rush.

As for the small portions and big price again sure. But this seems to be a general comment from a lot of people about many places. Some people expect McDonalds portions for McDonalds prices and some would say their portions are more than enough. Guess it depends what crowd you are in. Honestly if that's what you have to complain about is portion size to price then it's a rather weak argument. The average portion size at most restaurants in NA are bigger than one needs. So when you actually get a regular portion size a lot of people will go "whoa what a rip". If the food is good the food is good that's all I'm concerned about.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
Hey guys,

Long time lurker - great to see the beer community in Edmonton thriving. That new Underground place looks interesting, too bad it's downtown.

Anyway, just got back from 2 months in Europe and spent a good deal of that sampling different beers. Belgium is definitely the king of beers (and beer pubs) but they just don't do IPA's like they do here in North America. Definitely going to seek a few out.

On the topic of seeking out beer, anyone know if Deschutes or Boulevard are possible to get in the Edmonton area? I've tried Sherbrooke, Keg n' Cork, and a few others with no luck.
I was talking to the Deshutes rep last night and he said that Deschutes is only availble in kegs in Alberta. Not many places have it right now but he is pushing hard to try and get some places to put it on tap.

Old
10-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I tried finding the earlier post that someone in here was talking about a new bar on Jasper opening with some Rogue beers on tap.

They are called 118 I believe and they opened last night on Jasper and 118th street.

I hear they have like 5 Rogue beers on tap as well as the GIB Winter Ale.

Have to go check them out sometime.

Old
10-11-2012, 04:43 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
I was talking to the Deshutes rep last night and he said that Deschutes is only availble in kegs in Alberta. Not many places have it right now but he is pushing hard to try and get some places to put it on tap.
I can only wait and hope - I've heard fantastic things about Black Butte Porter and The Abyss.

On a related note, anyone have some IPA's to recommend that are available locally? Red Racer used to be my go to but they stopped exporting to AB apparently. I've been drinking Lagunitas Day Time Fractional IPA in it's place but it's not quite on the same level for me - recommendations anyone?

dyzfunctioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:42 PM
schutney

Quote:
I tried finding the earlier post that someone in here was talking about a new bar on Jasper opening with some Rogue beers on tap.

They are called 118 I believe and they opened last night on Jasper and 118th street.

I hear they have like 5 Rogue beers on tap as well as the GIB Winter Ale.

Have to go check them out sometime.
I went yesterday. It was their soft opening yesterday and today and a big grand opening style party Friday and Saturday. They had a couple issues with their new POS systems which is to be expected on the first day. They had Rogue Yellow Snow on tap and GIB Winter Ale, did not have 5 Rogues on tap but have a good selection of Rogue on their menus as well as Brooklyn Sorachi Ace, which I had.

The food menu has some interesting options like frozen cereal (the server explained it as cereal milk flavor ice cream) and jambalaya poutine.

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
I went yesterday. It was their soft opening yesterday and today and a big grand opening style party Friday and Saturday. They had a couple issues with their new POS systems which is to be expected on the first day. They had Rogue Yellow Snow on tap and GIB Winter Ale, did not have 5 Rogues on tap but have a good selection of Rogue on their menus as well as Brooklyn Sorachi Ace, which I had.

The food menu has some interesting options like frozen cereal (the server explained it as cereal milk flavor ice cream) and jambalaya poutine.
Good selection of Rogue on their menus? What do you mean by this? Like in th bottle?

Old
10-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I can only wait and hope - I've heard fantastic things about Black Butte Porter and The Abyss.

On a related note, anyone have some IPA's to recommend that are available locally? Red Racer used to be my go to but they stopped exporting to AB apparently. I've been drinking Lagunitas Day Time Fractional IPA in it's place but it's not quite on the same level for me - recommendations anyone?
I've heard really good things about Hopworks IPA.

They are a top notch brewery in Oregon who makes all organic beers.

Their bottles are silkscreened and don't use paper or sticker labels and have a bit HUB(Hopworks Urban Brewery). Again I've never tried this IPA but have heard good things about it from several people. I have tried a few other of their beers and have really enjoyed them. It's rated a 96 on ratebeer.

As for Deschutes I'm told that Keg and Cork has it on tap at their growler station, the Black Bute Porter is defintiely one of the two selections. Not 100% positive if the other selection is Deschutes or not but it's a Pale Ale.

Last edited by Reimer: 10-12-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old
10-12-2012, 11:29 AM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
I've heard really good things about Hopworks IPA.

They are a top notch brewery in Oregon who makes all organic beers.

Their bottles are silkscreened and don't use paper or sticker labels and have a bit HUB(Hopworks Urban Brewery). Again I've never tried this IPA but have heard good things about it from several people. I have tried a few other of their beers and have really enjoyed them. It's rated a 96 on ratebeer.

As for Deschutes I'm told that Keg and Cork has it on tap at their growler station, the Black Bute Porter is defintiely one of the two selections. Not 100% positive if the other selection is Deschutes or not but it's a Pale Ale.
Thanks for the recommendation.

The Keg and Cork on 99th? I work nearby so might need to drop by at lunch and check it out.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:47 AM
schutney

Quote:
Good selection of Rogue on their menus? What do you mean by this? Like in th bottle?
Ya by the bottle, I went there again last night as I live across the street. They actually had a Rogue tasting and the Alberta, Sask and Manitoba rep was there. He had a lot of Rogue bottles there so it was pretty awesome. They will be giving away a huge Rogue gift basket in the next couple weeks, it was sitting on their bar.

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 01:52 PM
dyzfunctioned

Ran over to Keg N Cork... thanks for steering me there. I've been before but completely missed the growler section in the back corner!

Got a growler of Black Butte Porter, I've been wanting to try this for so long.

Also grabbed a 6er of Lagunitas Maximus IPA.

Didn't see hopworks IPA but I was tempted by a lot of other beers - Rogue Double Chocolate Stout, 8wired IPA, Ommegang Rare Vos/Hennepin/Three Philosophers (great beers, but damn they're expensive).

Old
10-12-2012, 02:52 PM
dyzfunctioned

Anyone have any experience with Brewdog's Tactical Nuclear Penguin? It's 32%! Saw it at Keg N Cork today but it was $86 for the bottle.

Old
10-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with Brewdog's Tactical Nuclear Penguin? It's 32%! Saw it at Keg N Cork today but it was $86 for the bottle.
I really want to try it but am hesitant at $86. Maybe I'll get it asa gift or something though.

Glad you were able to get some Deschutes!!

Old
10-13-2012, 06:13 PM
smokersarejokers

I always find that a lot of American IPAs get so oxidized by the time they get to Alberta, that they lose so much hop flavour and taste kind of like a barley wine.

I had the Fernie Lone Wolf IPA the other day and it wasn't too bad. Not insanely hoppy like some of the US ones, but very pleasant.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 10:12 PM
millax

Quote:
I really want to try it but am hesitant at $86. Maybe I'll get it asa gift or something though.

Glad you were able to get some Deschutes!!
I've had it.

IMHO, I would never pay that much for it again. It is just a gimmick more than anything. There are so many other beers out there that are delicious for much less.

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:31 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Tried the Rogue chipotle ale and oatmeal stout today

Chipotle Ale is interesting I suppose, mostly smoky with a little tiny hint of heat. Not gross, nothing special.

IMO the oatmeal stout tastes like garbage. I enjoy some Smithwicks, Guinness, and lots of chocolate stouts, Westvleteren, etc but this one was pretty grotesque.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by millax View Post
I've had it.

IMHO, I would never pay that much for it again. It is just a gimmick more than anything. There are so many other beers out there that are delicious for much less.
Yeah fair enough. They really only made those beers in the 1st place as a battle to say they made the beer with the highest alcohol percent. That's why I'd never buy one myself but would gladly take it as a gift.

On a lesser scale I had Rogues Morjimoto Imperial Pilsner last night. Thought it was great and probably the best Rogue beer I've had. But at $20 for the bottle I'm likely to never buy it again.

Old
10-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Tried the Rogue chipotle ale and oatmeal stout today

Chipotle Ale is interesting I suppose, mostly smoky with a little tiny hint of heat. Not gross, nothing special.

IMO the oatmeal stout tastes like garbage. I enjoy some Smithwicks, Guinness, and lots of chocolate stouts, Westvleteren, etc but this one was pretty grotesque.
Yeah the Chipotle ale is interesting. Again likely not to buy it again but it pretty much accomplished what they were making.

As for the stout I agree 100%. It is by far the worst Rogue beer I've had.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Okay, I am bored. Let's rank the cheap beers available.

There are, in no order, bud light, keystone, coors, natty light, miller light...I cant think of any others.

In my opinion:
  1. Coors
  2. Bud light
  3. keystone
  4. miller
  5. natty

Now, if I am drinking to get smashed and need a cheaper beer, I will choose Yuengling, which is a phenomenal "cheap" beer. It's the largest American brew, but it tastes pretty good. I would say you can get a 12 pack of bottles for like 10 bucks or 24 pack of cans for 18 bucks. I am in Texas, and they dont have Yuengling here for some reason, but if you go anywhere on the east coast, you should try it.

I just realized you guys all probably drink molson or labatt...

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote