HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
06-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Is that the place with all the international beer?

If so, that place is awesome!
Yes they have a huge selection. They are on St. Albert trail just north of the traffic circle with the lights in it.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
A half sack of those is pretty much enough to get you half loaded..in more ways than one. Instant beer belly.

Where abouts did you find it. I had heard it was discontined here. Is it the 8% version?
I don't know if it's the 8% version, more likely 5 or 6 judging by the taste.

I picked it up at Northwood Liquor Depot 137 Ave ~94 Street

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 05:49 PM
mooseisloose11

I'm a "hophead"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern2020 View Post
Can you recommend some IPA's?

Got a buddy coming down and he's jonesing for some
These are my favs: (go to Sherbrooke to find them)
Red Racer IPA Vancouver BC
Lagunitas IPA CA
Dog Fish Head 60min IPA Delaware (technically a double IPA I think)
Rogue Yellow Snow IPA Oregon
Tree Brewing Hophead IPA Kelowna (theres a seasonal double of this also)

If you want to get into the imperials- thats a whole different list

Cheers

mooseisloose11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:27 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yes they have a huge selection. They are on St. Albert trail just north of the traffic circle with the lights in it.
Sherbrooke Liquor Store is pretty much like a candy store to me.
Money well wasted

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Truth Movement

Quote:
Awesome, both of those sound like they have some serious potential. Hefe during a hot day and then the stout for an after dinner desert. I'm really impressed with AlleyKat, can't believe I never heard of them until just this year. Any idea when they will be released and where you can get them from? Is Sherbrook the only one who carries the big bottle series?

Just went there and picked up a keg of Charlie Flint for the game tonight and we got the steaks marinating in some red wine.

LETS GO BOSTON!!!!!
The big bottle series is available at pretty much any half decent liquor store. It's a hit and miss selection, but the Tripel and the Cascadian Dark Ale were fantastic.

The Neapolitan Stout is unbelievable. It was actually made by an Edmonton homebrewer using strawberry Schnapps (chocolate, strawberry, vanilla). Apparently the original recipe was more ice cream than stout, but the Alley Kat/Sherbrooke version brings up the roasty character. It's so tasty. Pour some on your ice cream and your life will be changed.

Truth Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

I went to Sherbrook today to see what the fuss was about...Boy did i find out. I've never seen that many different selections of beer in my life/ I didn't even know where to start, so I picked up the regulars. Apparently they have one of the bigger selections of Rum as well! I'll be going back there for sure. The beer fridge is ginormous!!

Old
06-10-2011, 11:38 PM
madmutter
I heff to be med

Not really getting all the Alley Kat love here. I remember it from years ago and it always tasted homebrewey to me, picked up some Full Moon Pale Ale and it's alright I suppose but not great. Should I have tried something else of theirs or is it just not to my taste?

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:48 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I went to Sherbrook today to see what the fuss was about...Boy did i find out. I've never seen that many different selections of beer in my life/ I didn't even know where to start, so I picked up the regulars. Apparently they have one of the bigger selections of Rum as well! I'll be going back there for sure. The beer fridge is ginormous!!

the first time I went there I walked in and looked around and went "where the hell is the beer I heard so much about" and then I heard the sliding doors crack open off to the right, and suddenly angels sing praises to the beer gods and the whoosh of cold, crisp air wafted upon my face. It was an incredible moment really, I wish I had caught it on film.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
Not really getting all the Alley Kat love here. I remember it from years ago and it always tasted homebrewey to me, picked up some Full Moon Pale Ale and it's alright I suppose but not great. Should I have tried something else of theirs or is it just not to my taste?
No I'd agree, Alley Kat has never been much to write home about. Maybe tastes good to those raised on strict domestics.

I can homebrew better beer and have.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Truth Movement

Quote:
No I'd agree, Alley Kat has never been much to write home about. Maybe tastes good to those raised on strict domestics.

I can homebrew better beer and have.
Oh Replacement, always the bastion of humility.

Truth Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Movement View Post
Oh Replacement, always the bastion of humility.
Not at all the point. I didn't even brew particularly good home brew and just decent home brew. Anybody with a half decent kit and with exacting attention to detail, cleanliness, and the right equipment can do the same, probably better.

The point being Alley Kat just isn't all that much. Theres 100's if not 1000's of homebrewers in Edmonton that can turn out better suds. Primarily because they care about the ingredients, finished product, no shipping and handling is involved, and aren't trying to turn out a brew while maximizing profit margin and saving pennies.

Take it however you like.

Old
06-11-2011, 02:21 PM
millax

Quote:
Not at all the point. I didn't even brew particularly good home brew and just decent home brew. Anybody with a half decent kit and with exacting attention to detail, cleanliness, and the right equipment can do the same, probably better.

The point being Alley Kat just isn't all that much. Theres 100's if not 1000's of homebrewers in Edmonton that can turn out better suds. Primarily because they care about the ingredients, finished product, no shipping and handling is involved, and aren't trying to turn out a brew while maximizing profit margin and saving pennies.

You are selling Alley Kat beer short. It may not be beer that you enjoy, but it is extremely well crafted beer and is much better than what most home brewers produce.

Try the loaded goat maibock if you like that style of beer. Extremely satisfying at the end of a day.

Also, Alley Kat sells ingredients to many of the home brewers in the city. They host Big Brew for the Edmonton Homebrewer's association.. To imply they do not care about ingredients and the finished product is an odd comment about a small brewery who, from my experience as a brewer, care more about those things than anything else.

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millax View Post
You are selling Alley Kat beer short. It may not be beer that you enjoy, but it is extremely well crafted beer and is much better than what most home brewers produce.

Try the loaded goat maibock if you like that style of beer. Extremely satisfying at the end of a day.

Also, Alley Kat sells ingredients to many of the home brewers in the city. They host Big Brew for the Edmonton Homebrewer's association.. To imply they do not care about ingredients and the finished product is an odd comment about a small brewery who, from my experience as a brewer, care more about those things than anything else.
Maybe Alley Kat is the Gilbert Brule of breweries

Old
06-11-2011, 07:42 PM
jbean

Lately I've been enjoying trying Trappist beers. I had a nice bottle of Rochefort 8 last night during the game and it was one of the richest and most flavourful beers I've ever had. Chimay Rouge, Chimay Blanche, and Achel were the other ones I tried and they were great too. The price is a little steep, but definitely worth it for the quality, high alchohol content, and also knowing that the profits go towards social programs is an added bonus. If anyone sees one of these beers they should try picking a bottle up for sure!

Quote:
Anybody with a half decent kit and with exacting attention to detail, cleanliness, and the right equipment can do the same, probably better.
Can you point me in the right direction to start brewing my own beer? What kind of budget is needed to get started?

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

Alley Kat may not be the greatest. But for a locally brewed beer they sure beat the hell out of the massively marketed Molson Canadian, Kokanee and Budweiser. It's definitely not the be all end all, but it is decent and your review is a bit harsh, in my opinion anyhow.

Old
06-11-2011, 09:53 PM
madmutter
I heff to be med

Quote:
Alley Kat may not be the greatest. But for a locally brewed beer they sure beat the hell out of the massively marketed Molson Canadian, Kokanee and Budweiser. It's definitely not the be all end all, but it is decent and your review is a bit harsh, in my opinion anyhow.
If the beer needs the bonus points from being local to be considered good, it's not good. I'm all about supporting local business and will probably give Alley Kat another try or two for this reason but just because it's microbrew does not make it better than Molson, Kokanee etc. Big Brewery stuff isn't usually bad, it's just boring but a beer with more character isn't an improvement if the character is offensive.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
If the beer needs the bonus points from being local to be considered good, it's not good. I'm all about supporting local business and will probably give Alley Kat another try or two for this reason but just because it's microbrew does not make it better than Molson, Kokanee etc. Big Brewery stuff isn't usually bad, it's just boring but a beer with more character isn't an improvement if the character is offensive.
Sorry I should have made that clearer, the beer isn't better because its local. I enjoy supporting a local company and its a bonus because their beer is actually better than you're molson canadian, kokanee and bud. However it isn't the be all end all beer. Definitely better stuff out there, but pretty solid for a microbrewery.

I'm heading to Maine this fall and then up the coast and am really looking forward to trying many random micro breweries along the way.

Old
06-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Lux Aurumque*

I absolutely love Steamwhistle, brewed across the road from the CN Tower in Toronto. Czechloven (sp?) is an excellent Czech beer that I drank on New Year's.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
I absolutely love Steamwhistle, brewed across the road from the CN Tower in Toronto. Czechloven (sp?) is an excellent Czech beer that I drank on New Year's.

steamwhistle is a good beer, I nearly forgot about it.

Funny story about steamwhistle;

When Scott Thompson (of Kids in the hall fame) came to town a few years ago on a spoken word tour, I took my wife to see him at the small theatre in the Citadel building downtown. It was a very funny show, and it was sponsored in part by steamwhistle, so you could get large quantities of booze, and LOTS of people partook. It wasn't rowdy or anything, but about halfway through Thompson's set, bottles start crashing against the floor quite loudly. It got to the point where he stopped the show and started making fun of all the drunks in the audience.

So now everytime I see a bottle of steamwhistle I can't help but think about that evening, and subsequently I can't help but chuckle about it. Seriously though, you had to balance on rolling beer bottles to get out of the theatre at the end of it.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:54 PM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
Lately I've been enjoying trying Trappist beers. I had a nice bottle of Rochefort 8 last night during the game and it was one of the richest and most flavourful beers I've ever had. Chimay Rouge, Chimay Blanche, and Achel were the other ones I tried and they were great too. The price is a little steep, but definitely worth it for the quality, high alchohol content, and also knowing that the profits go towards social programs is an added bonus. If anyone sees one of these beers they should try picking a bottle up for sure!
Love the Chimay's! They go down so smoothly and standing up after a couple bottles is always a little surprising...

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I had a Raasted Imperial Stout last night at the sugar. I thought it was pretty awesome stuff. I gotta try more imperial stouts to compare it though.

Old
06-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Can you point me in the right direction to start brewing my own beer? What kind of budget is needed to get started?
I'm 15yrs out of the loop now. I don't brew anymore so can't comment on what it would cost now.
Really if you use your equipment to make several batches of beer/cider it ends up paying for itself after(for me it was about 6 batches.)
The trouble with homebrewing, and why I stopped, is what goes down real easy and tastes real good and is far too handy ends up accumulating around the waist..

Homebrewers typically end up with so much brew that its real easy to overdrink.

These guys used to be quite helpful(again its been a long time so I really don't know now)

http://www.ehg.ca/forum

enjoy

Old
06-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Hoogaar23

Just got back from Bermuda and tried all the offerings from the only brewery on the Island, the North Rock Brewery.

They have a wheat beer, a lager, amber ale, pale ale, and a porter. All decent beers. None were spectacular, but I thought the lager had a unique taste, and the porter was pretty good.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Just got back from Bermuda and tried all the offerings from the only brewery on the Island, the North Rock Brewery.

They have a wheat beer, a lager, amber ale, pale ale, and a porter. All decent beers. None were spectacular, but I thought the lager had a unique taste, and the porter was pretty good.
Cool I'll be heading there in October.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:37 PM
mooseisloose11

Brew Equip

Quote:

Most city brewers go to South Side Brew Crew in the Lendrum Shopping Centre, Andrew is a great guy. Some other useful sites are www.homebrew-supplies.ca and www.northernbrewer.com

@$200 will get you started, $500 you are serious, and @$1000- you are officially hooked. There are some crazy systems out there if you want to go nuts...

mooseisloose11 is offline   Reply With Quote