HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philippe Cantin on what Pierre Boivin accomplished

Old
05-16-2011, 03:12 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 93
Philippe Cantin on what Pierre Boivin accomplished

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/chroniqueu...tete-haute.php

i will miss Pierre Boivin.
He had to get people back to the games at the bell center

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:46 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Thx for everything Pierre.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Maxpac

Ok article, but good lord I hate Phillippe Cantin. He and Gaby Grégoire were almost calling the fans who were cheering when Moen fought Prust a bunch of soulless idiots, saying that we needed to "learn" not to like fighting so that it can be banished from the NHL.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Habs Man

Pierre Boivin, IMHO is one of, if not THE, main reason why this franchise hasn't won a cup in his 12 year tenure. He preferred picking his front office team based on language than skill/talent. Here's hoping Geoff Molson cleans house (except for Gainey).

Habs Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 05:50 PM
coolasprICE

darkest day in habs history

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 05:57 PM
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Man View Post
Pierre Boivin, IMHO is one of, if not THE, main reason why this franchise hasn't won a cup in his 12 year tenure. He preferred picking his front office team based on language than skill/talent. Here's hoping Geoff Molson cleans house (except for Gainey).

Are you serious??

You are telling me that Gauthier and Andre Savard were/are bad GMs? That Guy Boucher, Claude Julien and Alain Vigneault, who are all in the Conference finals, are bad coaches, or that Martin is a bad coach even if he brought this team to a Conference final last year? You are telling me that Guy Boucher and Julien BriseBois are two idiots and that Steve Yzerman was crazy to go after them?

So only Gainey is good, I guess because he is an Anglophone? And that Geoff Molson will be the saviour of this team because he comes from a wealthy familiy and that he want to all the great schools of this world with daddy's money? This team was a joke when it was ran by the Molsons before, playing in front of 5,000 empty seats after telling Roy to shove it. But Geoff is automatically more comptent than Boivin because he isn't a francophone?

But yes, language debates are always brought up by the French and the French media...

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:09 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
darkest day in habs history
ya i can't see the no one wanting to see a game at the bell centre. ow people will give anything to go and back then we could barely fill the bell centre
Boivin had a hard job since the team had been falling a part.
We couldn't even do a re-build right since our drafting sucked for when we were doing one

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:12 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post

Are you serious??

You are telling me that Gauthier and Andre Savard were/are bad GMs? That Guy Boucher, Claude Julien and Alain Vigneault, who are all in the Conference finals, are bad coaches, or that Martin is a bad coach even if he brought this team to a Conference final last year? You are telling me that Guy Boucher and Julien BriseBois are two idiots and that Steve Yzerman was crazy to go after them?

So only Gainey is good, I guess because he is an Anglophone? And that Geoff Molson will be the saviour of this team because he comes from a wealthy familiy and that he want to all the great schools of this world with daddy's money? This team was a joke when it was ran by the Molsons before, playing in front of 5,000 empty seats after telling Roy to shove it. But Geoff is automatically more comptent than Boivin because he isn't a francophone?

But yes, language debates are always brought up by the French and the French media...
Why are you so sensitive? He has a point. If you limit yourself to a smaller crop of coaches (French-speakers), you're limiting your team. Tell me you would say no to Babcock for example, because his French is limited to none.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:24 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Why are you so sensitive? He has a point. If you limit yourself to a smaller crop of coaches (French-speakers), you're limiting your team. Tell me you would say no to Babcock for example, because his French is limited to none.
Babcock is not an example because he wasn't available.

Three of the 4 coaches in the conference finals are from this organisation. One wasn't under Boivin. His ex assistant-gm is now a huge part of the Lightning organisation.

Plus, under his guidance, this organisation went from being a farce financially to one of the top 4 teams of the league.

Uncle George made millions galore because of Pierre.

So, yes, I,d say Pierre has been a terrific president.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:24 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
You make a good point, that being said, you also have to admit the man did a good job in the area of marketing to get the city and the fans excited about the Habs again....he did let the language thing back in there, somewhat take over, but had done a good job! You would hope the language thing would never crop up, but it does, and always will...

Cleaning house except for BG is a little harsh...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:25 PM
deandebean

Besides, his job as a president is make the team profitable. The hockey portion was not his job.

Old
05-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Anybody else think that Boivin looks like Patches !?!

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Really?

The reason we haven't won a cup is bad management IMO.

Gainey was alright and Savard too. And I like what Gauthier is doing so far... the real test will come this summer, though.

Boivin was brought in for a sole reason and he did his job very well.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:55 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:

Are you serious??

The key point in your post is that almost all of those names that you mentioned are........................................GONE... ............from Montreal.

And we still do not have a Cup.

I am glad to see Boivin go. He lost sight of what the Montreal Canadiens are, a hockey team that plays for the Stanley Cup. Instead, he looked at the Canadiens as nothing more than a revenue stream.

Great for Boivin and the Molsons. Sucks for the fans who are still waiting for the next Cup.

And for the record, Gainey should be gone as well from any decision making processes. He should show up to games like Beliveau and sit and clap politely and pose for photos.

Under Boivin, his management team has been sub-par and borderline inept. A shame for a great hockey franchise to have fallen so far under his leadership. Good riddance.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:06 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Really?

Gainey was alright and Savard too. And I like what Gauthier is doing so far... the real test will come this summer, though.

Not signing Boucher to coach the Habs and keeping JM is no different than trading PK for a Roman Hamrlik. Boucher is amazing. The national and even Boston media are totally amazed about his communication,his ability to adapt IN-GAME,and his modern approach to the game. He is already and will be one of the top 3 coaches for the next 10 years.And we let that go for 1 or maybe 2 years of Jack. What a horrible blunder.Zero chance of winning the cup with J(lets win this game 0-0)M,who had more talent in Ottawa but couldn't even get by the Leafs

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

People have a very, very short memory...

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:12 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Not signing Boucher to coach the Habs and keeping JM is no different than trading PK for a Roman Hamrlik. Boucher is amazing. The national and even Boston media are totally amazed about his communication,his ability to adapt IN-GAME,and his modern approach to the game. He is already and will be one of the top 3 coaches for the next 10 years.And we let that go for 1 or maybe 2 years of Jack. What a horrible blunder.Zero chance of winning the cup with J(lets win this game 0-0)M,who had more talent in Ottawa but couldn't even get by the Leafs
Boivin wasn't put there for those reasons. If you think so, you don't understand at all how businesses at a larger scale work.

Old
05-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Habs Man

Quote:

Are you serious??

First of all... You need to settle down...

Secondly, I think your forgetting that over Mr. Boivin's tenure every coach that was here was French speaking/Quebecois... I DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST THIS if it's the right person for the job but are you telling me that: Alain Vigneault (1997 - 2000), Michel Therrien (2000 - 2003), and Claude Julien (2003 - 2006), ALL of whom were rookie coaches, were the BEST available choices at the time?? I really don't think so...

Andre Savard?? Of his 36 picks, 7 are still in the NHL, and only 1 is with the Habs - Thomas Plekanec. His trades?? Joe Juneau, Andreas Dackell, and Sergei Berezin aren't my idea of top 6 forwards with size, grit, and skill (although Juneau and Dackell were great on the P.K.).

Pierre Gauthier?? Have you counted how many cups he won with Ottawa and Anaheim in his 7 years with both teams?? ZERO.

Don't even get me started on Guy Boucher. What kind of boneheaded idiot would let the best prospect that the organization has walk? You don't let go of someone like that... he was under contract here, but as always Montreal has to be the classy organization that everybody in the NHL loves. ****** THAT!!! Enough already... I'm tired of every other team dipping into our talent pool and us letting them. Why aren't we doing that to other teams???

Jacques Martin... HAS WON NOTHING. He had Jaroslav Halak carry him on his back last year, and had Carey Price do it this year. This team would never have made the playoffs if it wasn't for Carey... not your chummy Jacques.

I like Gainey... not as a GM, but he's respected, patient, and when he talks to players, they listen. You need people in your organization like that. I couldn't care less if his name was Bob Gainey, or Francois Boucher... I CARE THAT HE'S THE BEST AT WHAT HE DOES. Do you think that your GM is looking for the best person available for a position when he says this:

http://www.pagef30.com/2009/03/pierr...-montreal.html

Ronald Corey and that son of a ***** Mario Tremblay told Roy to shove it... not the Molson's.

The Molson's won more cups as owners than anybody else... Read up on your history a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Babcock is not an example because he wasn't available.

Three of the 4 coaches in the conference finals are from this organisation. One wasn't under Boivin. His ex assistant-gm is now a huge part of the Lightning organisation.

Plus, under his guidance, this organisation went from being a farce financially to one of the top 4 teams of the league.

Uncle George made millions galore because of Pierre.

So, yes, I,d say Pierre has been a terrific president.
Uncle George made millions because of Pierre Lalonde... he used to be in charge of the marketing department with Montreal. The lock-out also had a pretty big affect on hockey in this city... Not Pierre Boivin, although Pierre did wonders for the Montreal Canadien's Childrens Foundation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Really?

And who hires the GM... Mr. President...

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze: 05-17-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Habs Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The key point in your post is that almost all of those names that you mentioned are........................................GONE... ............from Montreal.

And we still do not have a Cup.

I am glad to see Boivin go. He lost sight of what the Montreal Canadiens are, a hockey team that plays for the Stanley Cup. Instead, he looked at the Canadiens as nothing more than a revenue stream.

Great for Boivin and the Molsons. Sucks for the fans who are still waiting for the next Cup.

And for the record, Gainey should be gone as well from any decision making processes. He should show up to games like Beliveau and sit and clap politely and pose for photos.

Under Boivin, his management team has been sub-par and borderline inept. A shame for a great hockey franchise to have fallen so far under his leadership. Good riddance.
You do realize that its because the organization is a money making machine that it can spend up to the cap? Habs were not the highest spenders before Boivin took over. Rangers and Detroit were way higher.

Also, President's job = Making company profitable and its brand popular amongst other things. Mission accomplished with brio!

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:05 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Uncle George made millions because of Pierre Lalonde... he used to be in charge of the marketing department with Montreal. The lock-out also had a pretty big affect on hockey in this city... Not Pierre Boivin, although Pierre did wonders for the Montreal Canadien's Childrens Foundation.
I don't believe that Pierre Lalonde has anything to do with that...

"C'est le temps des vacan-an-ces... un temps pour s'amuser-é-é..."

Apparently, Guy Boucher and "Pierre" Lalonde are the only French speaking persons in the whole universe to be good at what they're doing, according to you...

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Theodore was 100% of the reason the Habs had something to market and bring some hype back. Without him, Boivin is probably out of a job after the lockout.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:42 PM
la25ecoupe

Part 2 of my Boivin feature Tues will cover #Habs cultural appeal & language issue he says will disadvantage team forever

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Theodore was 100% of the reason the Habs had something to market and bring some hype back. Without him, Boivin is probably out of a job after the lockout.
Hope you forgot the

Because he had nothing to do with it. The team was terrible back then, even with Theo and Boivin still managed to turn thnings around.

I can't believe some people can't give credit where its due

Anybody with real corporate experience (I'm talking working in management, not at the bottom of the chain) knows that a good organization starts from the top and its president. Can't have one without the other.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:11 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Hope you forgot the

Because he had nothing to do with it. The team was terrible back then, even with Theo and Boivin still managed to turn thnings around.

I can't believe some people can't give credit where its due

Anybody with real corporate experience (I'm talking working in management, not at the bottom of the chain) knows that a good organization starts from the top and its president. Can't have one without the other.
Because most people in this thread can't differentiate between a person whose all about marketing and a person whose the general manager of our team. They blame Boivon just because he's another person to blame. He's a known part of our organization so without doing any research I'm just going to assume he's part of the problem, because of some article written many years ago where he said he'd look for a French candidate. Also if Julien and co weren't the best people for the job even as rookies, then why are they where they are today?

Maybe our team just has better talent evaluation of coaches than you realize and they knew these coaches were good? Maybe they also realize good coaching only goes so far.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:33 AM
onice

I don't understand this hate for Boivin. He took over a team that was practically destroyed by Molson's, the beer company not the family, and made it one of the top three financially stable franchises in the league. He also reversed the abysmal performance in our hockey management. Placed competent hockey people in key positions on the team. He made Uncle George a couple of fortunes.

He never claimed he wanted Francophones in key management positions. He said he wanted talent who could speak to the people of Quebec (hello Gainey). Timmins is a unilingual Anglo, he got a job.

I don't find anything wrong with having people in place who could speak some French and are willing to learn.

Marks I would give Boivin

Restoring the Montreal Canadiens image: A+
Finnacial results: A++
Hockey results: C-

I don't think he had that much input into the hockey operations but the team didn't perform as well as I had hoped under his watch but he also had to bring this team from the brink of disaster: thank you Ronald Corey.

onice is online now   Reply With Quote