HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Basha Rest. fined by NHL

Old
05-17-2011, 02:32 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton18Horton View Post
There is a difference, but I'd say it's like comparing apples and bowling balls. One is benefiting from singing about the Habs and their fans. While the other is benefiting by using the Habs logo and incorporating into their business.

In other words, Annakin Slayd isn't claiming to be affiliated with the Habs. While Basha, innocent or not, is claiming to be by using the Habs logo in his advertising banner.

I'm not sure, because I've read two articles about this so far. One says the NHL is involved, the other states that this was started by the Habs.
that Basha is benefiting by using the logo has to be shown. in the case of Slayn it's pretty obvious as that's the only thing he's known for.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
This just in:

"The NHL and the Canadien Hockey Club are suing the United States of America for its flagrant use of the Bleu, Blanc, Rouge color scheme in their flag. They are asking for the state of Maine or Alaska, but only if Sarah Palin leaves. Neither Geoff Molson nor Barack Obama could be reached for comment, though Gary Bettman is reported to have said 'Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!'."
I was actually wondering earlier today if the Habs also have a stamp on 'Bleu, Blanc Rouge'.

Quote:
There is a difference, but I'd say it's like comparing apples and bowling balls. One is benefiting from singing about the Habs and their fans. While the other is benefiting by using the Habs logo and incorporating into their business.

In other words, Annakin Slayd isn't claiming to be affiliated with the Habs. While Basha, innocent or not, is claiming to be by using the Habs logo in his advertising banner.

I'm not sure, because I've read two articles about this so far. One says the NHL is involved, the other states that this was started by the Habs.
I think the point is that it's ultimately up to the company. If I own a logo/insignia/brand name I can choose to pursue legal action wherever I feel it's been exploited or let it slide if I want.

I'm guessing that a company with shareholders (which Molson is, I believe) will be more militant and less flippant about it.

As far as the Annakin Slayd situation, they may simply feel that they're benefitting from good publicity with the music, whereas a guy slingin' kebabs is doing nothing for their image.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
that Basha is benefiting by using the logo has to be shown. in the case of Slayn it's pretty obvious as that's the only thing he's known for.
They both benefit from the Habs. The only difference is, one is doing it legally (Slayd), while the other isn't (Basha).

I can't speak for others, as I'm sure he probably has fans that listen to his other stuff. For me personally, I only know him from this Habs related songs.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 02:40 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
That's pretty much what it looks like to me, as you can still clearly see the CH through the paint.

In the link that BobLoblaw provided. It says that Basha tried to conceal the logo, after receiving a complain from the Habs. It doesn't say how long ago the complaint was sent.

http://offsidesportsblog.blogspot.co...e-problem.html
first time I see this one, but the following makes it even worse as far as NHL is concerned...

This isn't the first case in which the NHL has gone after a Canadian-based business for using team logos and slogans. In early May, Kingsway Honda in Vancouver was ordered to remove a Vancouver Canucks logo and a "Go Canucks Go" sign from its window. Which was odd, because Honda is the official car company of the NHL ...

seriously...

Old
05-17-2011, 02:43 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
They both benefit from the Habs. The only difference is, one is doing it legally (Slayd), while the other isn't (Basha).

I can't speak for others, as I'm sure he probably has fans that listen to his other stuff. For me personally, I only know him from this Habs related songs.
That would be true in Basha case if he was selling something that could be Habs/NHL related somehow... and that more money was made because of it (or more people going to his place).

Old
05-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Jigger77

Quote:

How is he doing it legally?

You just proved the point. None of us would know who the guy is if it weren't for the Habs logo or the Habs song using Go Habs Go and other copyright material.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Teufelsdreck

I don't think the NHL can prove that Basha made an extra $89,000 by putting up that sign. Where did they get that figure, anatomically speaking?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
That would be true in Basha case if he was selling something that could be Habs/NHL related somehow... and that more money was made because of it (or more people going to his place).
Pretty sure from a legal perspective, if you're using property that doesn't belong to you you are viewed as benefitting from it, even if you could somehow provide studies that prove the exact opposite.

Old
05-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
I think the point is that it's ultimately up to the company. If I own a logo/insignia/brand name I can choose to pursue legal action wherever I feel it's been exploited or let it slide if I want.

I'm guessing that a company with shareholders (which Molson is, I believe) will be more militant and less flippant about it.

As far as the Annakin Slayd situation, they may simply feel that they're benefitting from good publicity with the music, whereas a guy slingin' kebabs is doing nothing for their image.
The NHL or the Habs are not being forced to pursue legal action here, they are doing it on their own accord. In most cases though, you don't see them going after the little guy. Especially as some have pointed out already, there are illegal jerseys, and other hockey related items on the market. There might be more involved to this than what we've read in the two articles.

As for Slayd that's pretty much it. If they felt he was slandering the organization in a serious manner. I'm sure that lawyers for the Habs or the NHL would be contacting him. Since he's not, I really don't think there is anything legal they can do to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I don't think the NHL can prove that Basha made an extra $89,000 by putting up that sign. Where did they get that figure, anatomically speaking?
I thought it was strange myself. They feel that he (Basha) profited $1000 per day for the 89 days that the banner was up. That's a hell of a lot of shawarma per day.

Old
05-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Jedrik

I find it a little rich that the organization has scalpers on their own doorstep profiting illegally off their brand night in/night out. No legal action there.

Last edited by Jedrik: 05-17-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old
05-17-2011, 02:56 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Pretty sure from a legal perspective, if you're using property that doesn't belong to you you are viewed as benefitting from it, even if you could somehow provide studies that prove the exact opposite.
Maybe, but there's a reason big corp rarely sue or send letters for such things. Unless it's something that could potentially hurt the corp (like having a Habs sucks banner with logo on it for example), Big corp end up shooting themself in the foot by pursuing such actions.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Maybe, but there's a reason big corp rarely sue or send letters for such things. Unless it's something that could potentially hurt the corp (like having a Habs sucks banner with logo on it for example), Big corp end up shooting themself in the foot by pursuing such actions.
Who knows. For all we know, the company looked round the city and saw this on every street corner since taking over and simply chose to broadcast a message by making an example of one guy.

I mean, I really have no idea.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Marchy79

I would bet it falls under the concept of 'artistic content' of somehow. Slayd is more beneficial for one, and it might be even possible that Montreal Canadiens dont pay to broadcast that song.

There's not too much harm, because nobody is signed to be the official band of the Montreal Canadiens... And I dont think they can say they have a theme song. Therefore the artist can say it was Canadiens inspired...

Bashra's is in trouble, because while the picture could be considered art. It is also considered 'corporate' because of the Habs Logo is on the same page as the Bashra's name, and the guy in the picture is affilliating the two.

The trouble is probably that the name Bashra and the guy are probably trademarked to the company... and the Habs, and the logo are trademarked by another.

If the habs sold their rights to La Cage (in terms of affilliations, and eatery)... who is in the same industry... If La Cage pressed on the Habs AT ALL... They would be obligated to say something on behalf of their relationship with La Cage.

The problem probably still remains in the fact that he's obviously still wearing the jersey, possible negative connotations (because I am sure there are those who would have detracting feelings about it still being up, and how Mr. Big Company got the little guy), & overall general malcontent over the issue. The sign should/should have come down.
If Bashra made a deal with the team however, it would be a different story. If he even made a deal with a player... He could put up a pic with the player, (say Cammalleri) and have the saying changed to Go Camm Go! he'd still have to change the jersey and logo to something different (I think this would fall under the reasoning why we watch a lot of commercials starring players not very often in the team jerseys though.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:02 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Who knows. For all we know, the company looked round the city and saw this on every street corner since taking over and simply chose to broadcast a message by making an example of one guy.

I mean, I really have no idea.

same here - I dont go downtown much so I dont know how it's like really, there's one thing though... I didnt know of a Basha restaurant before this article was posted so...

Old
05-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
first time I see this one, but the following makes it even worse as far as NHL is concerned...

This isn't the first case in which the NHL has gone after a Canadian-based business for using team logos and slogans. In early May, Kingsway Honda in Vancouver was ordered to remove a Vancouver Canucks logo and a "Go Canucks Go" sign from its window. Which was odd, because Honda is the official car company of the NHL ...

seriously...
I just read that, and found it strange. As Honda is a sponsor for the NHL. In that case though, I think it was because it was a specific dealership, and not something that was done for all other Honda dealerships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
How is he doing it legally?

You just proved the point. None of us would know who the guy is if it weren't for the Habs logo or the Habs song using Go Habs Go and other copyright material.
Better yet, how is he doing this illegally? He's not profiting by claiming he's associated with the Habs. He's profiting from a Habs related song.

That would be like me making a song called "I like Poutine". Do you think the inventors of poutine or their families are going to hunt me down and try to sue me for copy right infringements?

It doesn't matter how he's known Jigger. He's not claiming to be associated with the Habs. If he made a statement saying that his song was the "Official song of the Habs", then you'd have an argument. Since he hasn't, he has done anything legally wrong.

Quote:
same here - I dont go downtown much so I dont know how it's like really, there's one thing though... I didnt know of a Basha restaurant before this article was posted so...
Me either, I"m actually going to check it out the next time I'm in MTL.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:07 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
I just read that, and found it strange. As Honda is a sponsor for the NHL. In that case though, I think it was because it was a specific dealership, and not something that was done for all other Honda dealerships.

Better yet, how is he doing this illegally? He's not profiting by claiming he's associated with the Habs. He's profiting from a Habs related song.

That would be like me making a song called "I like Poutine". Do you think the inventors of poutine or their families are going to hunt me down and try to sue me for copy right infringements?

It doesn't matter how he's known Jigger. He's not claiming to be associated with the Habs. If he made a statement saying that his song was the "Official song of the Habs", then you'd have an argument. Since he hasn't, he has done nothing legally wrong.

Me either, I"m actually going to check it out the next time I'm in MTL.
haha! and that in itself show why most Big Corp usually dont sue/send letters over such issues

Old
05-17-2011, 03:32 PM
coolasprICE

I say we rally in solidarity for Basha ...

Sunday, 12pm @ Basha restaurant ...

bring 5 dollars for your Shawarma and don't forget your habs jerseys

Rolaids / Pepto Bismal optional

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:06 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
I guess Annakin Slayd better stop making those songs that say Go Habs Go every year and team990 better stop playing them. Wouldn't want to infringe on the precious copyrights of the almighty NHL.

Good way to "relate" to your fans and monsieur et madame tout le monde NHL. Bravo!
No, he isn't selling the song or making money off it. It makes a difference I believe. He gets exposure, sure, but no DIRECT profit from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Basha hasn't been fined. The NHL has just begun the process of litigating him for trademark violations.

It's rarely in a corporation's interest to pursue these kinds of battles any farther than they need to go to achieve the end they want. If threats or initiating the legal process gets the message across (which it did in this case), it's not prudent to waste time and resources on dragging things out. It's very likely that the NHL will drop the case, or agree to a small settlement with Basha to address his unintentional wrongdoing.
This will happen. I don't see how his advertising will actually be fined 89K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
But Horton18Horton is right for sure about one thing... He committed the offense when he placed BOTH Basha & Canadiens on the same article. Cage aux Sports who probably was the one who said to look in to it... as they pay MONEY to do the same thing.

I was in Montreal last spring during the run, and there was a tonne of things saying go habs go... but it was a flag here, in chalk there... In no way did they try to do what Bashra did (not that I could see) granted... innocently. But imagine being the Cage aux Sports, paying for that right, then watching that right be freely given to EVERYONE else around you. That would be infuriating.
You have it right.

Quote:
I added to my post afterwards it kind of replies to yours so I'll just repost.

"Besides it's good for the NHL. I fail to see how this hurts them in any way, shape or form. It's a good thing to stir up hype for your "product".

They are in the wrong here imo. And yes I know that legally no they are not. Morally I mean, and also in terms of the damage this lawsuit causes them in the public eye. They come across as a greedy giant going after Mr. Mclittle for the sake of "potential" money earned because of their logo. It's just bad business and lack of vision."

**** if anything they should ENCOURAGE this type of stuff.

Link to the song from 08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsEU2hYh7Tk
Sorry no, they shouldn't encourage diminishing the value of how much their advertisements costs. It doesn't even make sense to suggest that. If you don't want to put a habs logo on your window(uncomprimised habs logo), then so be it, the habs don't care.

Quote:

I think people fail to get that if that poster was anywhere else and remove the basha logo, even in front of his house, triple the size. No fine. You attached it your business. Slayd doesn't sell the song AFAIK. It's not directly attached to his career logos or CDs. We may know him for it, but doesn't mean ****.

Quote:

seriously...
Irrelevant. The owner of that honda franchise was likely not authorized. A franchisee and a corporation are different AFAIK.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:17 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Somebody should do some research on what constitutes fair use of trademarks in Canada.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:06 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You misread. I'm suggesting if you suck at advertising, you still have to pay the advertising costs. If basha didn't profit from it, it doesn't change the fact he advertised with the habs logo, intentionally or not.

BTW, mcdonalds sponsors the olympics. Do you think any olympic athlete needs mcdees? It's advertising! Regardless of it being food and the other being a sport.
When someone advertises it is to increase their brand's presence in the marketplace. It is to entice people to turn towards their products and/or to display their corporate community presence in the example of McD's sponsoring the Olympics which you provided.

Looking at the poster this guy produced all I see is a guy wearing a red jersey with a blue stripe cutting Shwarma. I don't see him asking you to buy his products or causing a relationship with the Habs brand other than associating his restaurant with the Go Habs GO hysteria the whole town feels at playoff time.

I laugh at those that say that his displaying the Habs logo, which he removed after being warned by the league in a letter, is a crime. I operate a construction company and my truck has my logo and name with contact info all over it. I fly the Habs flag and the Go Habs Go flag before the playoffs and still have them on right now. Should I be fined and sued by the NHL? My mill-work and finishing sub-trade has a truck with his logo and info and completely covers it in Habs branding material. Is he causing a direct relationship between the Habs and his company? Of course he isn't. What's more, neither of us has benefited from one extra client based on our displaying our gear.

I understand that branding must be protected by strict legal action but that is reserved for those that directly benefit from the use of that brand. There is no way on this planet that the NHL can prove this guy sold one extra Shwarma meal because of that poster. No damage no suit. If you can't prove that the poster caused damage to the Habs brand or the NHL itself you can't win in court. There has to be either a loss suffered or an abuse of rights in order to exact compensation. While some here say the rights were abused I don't agree. His complying with the demand that the Habs logo be removed was evidence that he respected the rights of the trademark holder.

This case is so thin the NHL would be crazy to pursue it. It's a win-win for the shwarma guy and a total loss for the NHL. Basha couldn't buy this kind of advertising for the $120K it will cost between the fine and the legal costs over the next 3 years if the league is stupid enough to go forward with this.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:23 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
No, he isn't selling the song or making money off it. It makes a difference I believe. He gets exposure, sure, but no DIRECT profit from it.

This will happen. I don't see how his advertising will actually be fined 89K.
If Slayd sells a single CD based on exposure from his Habs songs then he profited. That is actually a DIRECT result of his annual Habs playoff song. How do you prove Basha sold one extra Shwarma?

Slayd was featured on Team990 for the current playoff song and his website was cited and he was heralded as being an up and coming star by Mitch Melnick during his show based on his song. How does that not translate to greater exposure and invariably greater sales?

You can't prove Basha gained either profit or exposure by his use of that poster prior to the NHL making this an issue and that is why this will disappear. Because if the league is actually stupid enough to pursue it in our legal system they will get completely owned. They need to enforce their trademark and branding violations in the US where you can sue based on anything with little proof of damage actually occurring and be awarded millions for absolutely no reason. Which is what this whole thing is about: no reasoning by the NHL.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
I understand that branding must be protected by strict legal action but that is reserved for those that directly benefit from the use of that brand. There is no way on this planet that the NHL can prove this guy sold one extra Shwarma meal because of that poster. No damage no suit. If you can't prove that the poster caused damage to the Habs brand or the NHL itself you can't win in court. There has to be either a loss suffered or an abuse of rights in order to exact compensation. While some here say the rights were abused I don't agree. His complying with the demand that the Habs logo be removed was evidence that he respected the rights of the trademark holder.
I really don't think that's the way it works. There's no way to prove or disprove whether the guy sold a kebab based on the use of the logo or whatever, so the onus is simply on him not to use it if he hasn't paid for the rights.

I can't sell merchandise with the Habs logo printed on it even though I could argue that no proof exists that my customers were compelled to buy a coffee mug from me because it had a CH on it. 'What? They just wanted coffee cups', I'd say. 'For their coffee'.

Old
05-17-2011, 05:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
When someone advertises it is to increase their brand's presence in the marketplace. It is to entice people to turn towards their products and/or to display their corporate community presence in the example of McD's sponsoring the Olympics which you provided.

Looking at the poster this guy produced all I see is a guy wearing a red jersey with a blue stripe cutting Shwarma. I don't see him asking you to buy his products or causing a relationship with the Habs brand other than associating his restaurant with the Go Habs GO hysteria the whole town feels at playoff time.

I laugh at those that say that his displaying the Habs logo, which he removed after being warned by the league in a letter, is a crime. I operate a construction company and my truck has my logo and name with contact info all over it. I fly the Habs flag and the Go Habs Go flag before the playoffs and still have them on right now. Should I be fined and sued by the NHL? My mill-work and finishing sub-trade has a truck with his logo and info and completely covers it in Habs branding material. Is he causing a direct relationship between the Habs and his company? Of course he isn't. What's more, neither of us has benefited from one extra client based on our displaying our gear.

This case is so thin the NHL would be crazy to pursue it. It's a win-win for the shwarma guy and a total loss for the NHL. Basha couldn't buy this kind of advertising for the $120K it will cost between the fine and the legal costs over the next 3 years if the league is stupid enough to go forward with this.
The guy you see is the logo for basha. The mustache and face, is the basha logo.

Anyway, it's irrelevant. Laugh at those, such as myself, who see it for what it is.

It's dead smack in certain of downtown showing the Basha logo:

http://www.basharestaurant.com/

Just look on top left ffs. It's merged with a habs logo. That's not allowed. It's not rocket science. Maybe I can make a company and be so small that no one ever notices if I sneak in a habs logo. However, this guy is downtown, 450 ****ing meters away from the bell center and makes a giant poster. Seriously, for ****s sake man, how much more blatant can it get?

The original poster included a habs logo, the new one does not.

http://offsidesportsblog.blogspot.co...e-problem.html

Issa removed his banner but he told the CP he's not paying the NHL's fine.

Quote:
"I said, 'Wow, to do publicity for the Canadiens costs you $89,000.' That's crazy, that's unbelievable," he said. "We cannot afford this kind of money and we're not going to pay it."
Wait, so do you think the habs gained any merchandise sales off his 'advertising' of the habs logo? Weird, he's allowed to say that, but when we say the habs, a much bigger brand and following was used without consent on his poster it's not the case at all.

Really, you're not allowed. Why is that so complicated? I wish the guy an easy settlement like everybody else but why do people protect something and assume the habs logo belongs to the city? The habs logo is like any other brand. It's like Wal-Mart of Mcdonalds or whatever. You can't use that, you can't use this.

The league will likely do private settlement IMO and charge him advertising costs and call it a day.

Quote:
If Slayd sells a single CD based on exposure from his Habs songs then he profited. That is actually a DIRECT result of his annual Habs playoff song. How do you prove Basha sold one extra Shwarma?

Slayd was featured on Team990 for the current playoff song and his website was cited and he was heralded as being an up and coming star by Mitch Melnick during his show based on his song. How does that not translate to greater exposure and invariably greater sales?

You can't prove Basha gained either profit or exposure by his use of that poster prior to the NHL making this an issue and that is why this will disappear. Because if the league is actually stupid enough to pursue it in our legal system they will get completely owned. They need to enforce their trademark and branding violations in the US where you can sue based on anything with little proof of damage actually occurring and be awarded millions for absolutely no reason. Which is what this whole thing is about: no reasoning by the NHL.
The only doubt I have with Slayd is that he sells his songs on itunes. Other than that, making a song without profit is fine. Here he is, which is strange. I don't know what artistic use of trademarks is.

I mean, in a song i like by swedish house mafia the guy mentions a few brand name products and it's fine. I assume for artistic and musical purposes there's different laws but who knows.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Marchy79

Quote:

But it isnt that simple. there is a difference of habs memorobilia, that is bought and purchased and placed on your car, as expected, or car decals that have rights put in to them with specified contracts...

Furthermore, I believe it has MORE to do with the idea that it infringes on La Cage's contract w/ the habs. Bashra is in the Same field of business as La Cage. If La Cage pays a premium TO advertise with the Habs Logo... How much would it be worth if the Habs thought it acceptable if everyone does, as a business partner? Espescially those specifically in my industry?

That contract w/ La Cage, Im sure is not cheap.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:16 PM
habtastic

stupidest thing ever. Doesn't matter if it's a technical infringement.

the NHL has no class, whatsoever. You think if it were the same case in PHX, they'd fine them? They probably encourage this kind of thing. Seriously every day I don't know who is worse, Bush or Bettman.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote