HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers May Bring Back Immonen (Schoenfeld: No interest)

Old
05-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Technically, putting Immonen on the team is internal...

... but I see your point.

I see nothing bad about bringing him in for camp and letting him earn a spot. Like others have said... if not, go back to the KHL. Both sides make out just fine.
Just remembered we still hold his rights. I wouldn't be opposed to having him in camp. I'm pretty sure he can attend without a contract, but he'd be leaving right in the middle of the KHL's season.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:54 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Just remembered we still hold his rights. I wouldn't be opposed to having him in camp. I'm pretty sure he can attend without a contract, but he'd be leaving right in the middle of the KHL's season.
I thought we had let our rights to him expire or the similar?

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:12 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Wonderful news, if true. One of Tom Renney's dumbest moves was not giving Immonen more of an opportunity.

He's not too slow for the NHL. He's a smart passer and he has good offensive instincts. I'd love to see him in training camp this summer. Another asset to have. Definitely a potential replacement for Prospal going forward, as someone mentioned earlier.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Vitto79

they should of gave this guy a chance to begin with a few yrs back. I am all for him being brought back

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:22 PM
babyshamble

If you are going to pick someone up from the KHL why not go for Patrick Thoresen instead. He is basicly the same player, just a little better at anything and a lot faster. He has also had about twice as many points as him for the last two seasons. He is one year younger and he is a UFA.

Honestly I don`t see the point of adding either Immonen, he does not add anything to this roster and would just be taking a roster spot from a kid with a legit NHL-future.

babyshamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyshamble View Post
If you are going to pick someone up from the KHL why not go for Patrick Thoresen instead. He is basicly the same player, just a little better at anything and a lot faster. He has also had about twice as many points as him for the last two seasons. He is one year younger and he is a UFA.

Honestly I don`t see the point of adding either Immonen, he does not add anything to this roster and would just be taking a roster spot from a kid with a legit NHL-future.
You said he was the same player and then listed several reasons why he's different

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Jagr could still put up 40-50 points....Immonen won't scratch this roster.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 12:36 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Jagr could still put up 40-50 points....Immonen won't scratch this roster.
Wrong on both fronts. Jagr will be an easy 55-60+ point player. Immonen has never been given a fair shake at this level. I think with some skill around him he can be our Leino-- for probably cheaper. I've always been a fan of Immonen and stood tall against the " he's to slow" crew. Enver Lisin was fast..... Your in game hockey IQ can get you past some of your speed deficiencies. Just ask Stepan. Immonen is a smart player, too.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 12:53 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm open to it, as I liked Immonen in his brief stint with the club and his time in Hartford. If it doesn't work out, let him go back to Russia.

Nothing wrong with more competition.
agreed. Although I am in the party of people that believes it'd be a tough sell to get Immonen to want to come back.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 12:54 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
would just be taking a roster spot from a kid with a legit NHL-future.
I'm getting so sick of seeing this. Who? Grachev? Weise? Who? No one has shown they're ready for the NHL that hasn't already gotten their fair share of playing time.

Tortarella's made it pretty clear that if you deserve to play, you play. Sauer, McDonagh, MZA, Stepan, etc.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:07 AM
asphyXy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I'm getting so sick of seeing this. Who? Grachev? Weise? Who? No one has shown they're ready for the NHL that hasn't already gotten their fair share of playing time.

Tortarella's made it pretty clear that if you deserve to play, you play. Sauer, McDonagh, MZA, Stepan, etc.
Completely agree. Weise and Grachev had their chance to make an impression this year. The little bit I've seen of Immonen when he was on the team was fairly impressive. Can Weise and Grachev step up their game in camp this summer and prove that they're better than Immonen? If so, they'll get the nod over Immonen. If not, Immonen gets the nod. How many people were against signing Fedotenko last September? Look how that turned out. I'm not saying Immonen will be as good as Feds was, but you can never have too many people fighting for a roster spot.

asphyXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 01:15 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
I am obviously in favor of such a thing.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 01:48 AM
SomE

Quote:

I think what you meant to say was: 'If you are going to pick someone up from the KHL why not go for the best Norwegian instead.'

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 01:54 AM
ilezia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
A lot of guys view it as kind of a "best of the best" thing. Playing in the top league in the world. I think Immonen only left for the KHL because he didn't feel like he had much of a future with our team. If that has changed, maybe he'd reconsider?

I have no idea what type of money he's making over there, though I'd imagine it's pretty good.
I'm unable to find the reference now but I do recall Immonen, when asked about possible return to NHL, saying that he's been there, seen what it is, and is not interested anymore but instead focusing on other things.

His contract with Kazan is for $2M a season right now so combined with the statement above, I can hardly see him going anywhere.

ilezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Vitto79

I know it may be all talk but conceivably could they not slide Boyle to LW and have Immonen 4th line C? The guy has experience in international play and a cup of tea playing the north american game.

Hope he atleast comes to camp

Not gonna cry if we see depth of
Richards, Stepan, Anisimov, Immonen
Dubinsky, Wolski, Boyle, Avery
Gaborik, Callahan, Prust, Zuccarello
Grachev, Hagelin, Weise

Last edited by Vitto79: 05-17-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old
05-17-2011, 08:42 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post

some have this crazy notion that their game will continue to improve as they get older

lunacy

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:48 AM
gravytrain6t

I'd rather see the Rangers obtain Stastny. If that's possible. He didn't play in the wc, but he would have got some scoring done.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

This to me signals the end if Christensen and im happy about that.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:49 AM
CM PUNK

zero interest in immonen as a backup plan to richards...

if he can play wing then i'm all for giving him another shot as i think there will be a couple winger spots to be won/lost in camp

he could also be a nice depth insurance if we have the opportunity to deal 1 of anisimov/stepan/boyle for a top line player and then immonen could possibly backfill that spot down the middle

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:32 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
some have this crazy notion that their game will continue to improve as they get older

lunacy
No one said they won't, but to just hand them a spot is also lunacy.

Old
05-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
I am obviously in favor of such a thing.

haha i was thinking of you when this came up. When I think of the Pack I think of updates you give. Keep up the good work

I would like to see Immonen get a shot. he's on my list of guys we just did'nt give a chance. If he was a prospect the last two years he would of been given a shot like the kids are now

gettem in there

Old
05-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
zero interest in immonen as a backup plan to richards...

if he can play wing then i'm all for giving him another shot as i think there will be a couple winger spots to be won/lost in camp

he could also be a nice depth insurance if we have the opportunity to deal 1 of anisimov/stepan/boyle for a top line player and then immonen could possibly backfill that spot down the middle
I'm not coming down on you but that is the worst backup plan I've ever heard of...

Akin to saying "Well if we can't figure out this nuclear warhead thing... we always have snowballs"

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Yellot00tr

He should be the backup plan if plans A through X all fail. Jagr could be plan Y, and trading Redden and Drury for Ovechkin and a bag of pucks should be plan Z.

Yellot00tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 10:31 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I'd rather see the Rangers obtain Stastny. If that's possible. He didn't play in the wc, but he would have got some scoring done.
I get the feeling Stastny would be a 60 pt player here and be crucified with that 6.6 Mill cap hit

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 10:56 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
I'm not coming down on you but that is the worst backup plan I've ever heard of...

Akin to saying "Well if we can't figure out this nuclear warhead thing... we always have snowballs"

yeah that was my point...in total agreement with you

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote