HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers May Bring Back Immonen (Schoenfeld: No interest)

Old
05-17-2011, 09:33 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
correct sir

if they kept Korpedo then the deal would be ok. Sauer is a rock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Leetch
The deal would've been a steal if we got two solid NHLers out of it. Leetch didn't even play a full season after the deal.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:34 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
well it took Sauer 5 years to make the NHL from his draft year. i wonder why Sather wasnt patient like that with korpikoski or the other players that were traded too quick at least Sather realized Jessiman stunk.
Injuries...and it's not as if this year wasn't do or die for him.

Old
05-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
we traded his rights to LA for Avery
Still, isn't he a UFA by now? Or does he go by the old rules? Nobody signed him and it's gone like 7-8 years since he was drafted.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:21 AM
ilezia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilezia View Post
I'm unable to find the reference now but I do recall Immonen, when asked about possible return to NHL, saying that he's been there, seen what it is, and is not interested anymore but instead focusing on other things.

His contract with Kazan is for $2M a season right now so combined with the statement above, I can hardly see him going anywhere.
I'll quote myself because it seems no-one noticed. Immonen seems happy in KHL and unless we (or any other NHL team for that matter) wants to overpay seriously ($3M+) we should just forget about him.

ilezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Seems to me that Ranger fans have a natural obsession with Immonen being his was technically the centerpiece of the Leetch deal.

That said, the knocks on him are very real, especially pertaining to his footspeed. He is, however, a shifty/creative player and could be a benefit to a team severely lacking creativity like the Rangers.

I dont see the trouble with bringing him in to compete for a spot - wouldnt give him a one way deal though.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Still, isn't he a UFA by now? Or does he go by the old rules? Nobody signed him and it's gone like 7-8 years since he was drafted.
He was drafted under the old agreement, so I think he falls under that stupid perpetual rights thing where if he doesn't sign, his rights never expire.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilezia View Post
I'll quote myself because it seems no-one noticed. Immonen seems happy in KHL and unless we (or any other NHL team for that matter) wants to overpay seriously ($3M+) we should just forget about him.
I think you're right, and it's not worth it to the Rangers at that price. I can't imagine we'd be willing to commit anything more than $1M to him just so he can sputter out in the NHL and head back to Europe.

We could certainly use the creativity he can bring to the table, but I don't see him ever coming over.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think you're right, and it's not worth it to the Rangers at that price. I can't imagine we'd be willing to commit anything more than $1M to him just so he can sputter out in the NHL and head back to Europe.

We could certainly use the creativity he can bring to the table, but I don't see him ever coming over.
I could see him coming over for camp with a deal that states if he makes the team he is in and if not he goes back to the KHL

I understand he would likely take a pay cut but to play in the best league in the world I think he gives it another kick at the can for 1 million per one year deal.

This guy has talent the OLD Ranger system just never gave him a shot he deserves

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:24 AM
OverTheCap

It doesn't hurt to take a gamble on Immonen, I guess.

I just never understood why he wasn't given a real shot the first time around while players like Dawes and Voros were given ample opportunity to prove that they suck. Brad Isbister somehow played more games than Immonen during that season he was called up, blech.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Tiina

After leaving NA Immonen won the SM-liiga KHL and now the World Championships.Ak Bars Kazan pays him 2 million dollars for the next season.

Why would he come back to sit on the bench or play in the AHL?

Tiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:11 AM
RangerFan10

It's not to say that I don't agree that it won't be easy to convince Immonen to come back over, but you guys just assume it's all monetary and about success no matter what the level.

The NHL is still bar-none the best league in the world, and if Immonen believes he's good enough to play in the league and feels that Renney, not Tortarella, didn't give him a fair shot, and he'd be given a shot here, then I don't think it's completely crazy for us to think he may come to camp to compete. And if Immonen was smart with the money he made in the KHL the past two years, untaxed, then he may be ready and willing to take a risk and come over for one last shot at the NHL.

Old
05-18-2011, 10:39 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Sent: May 18, 2011 11:11a

He signed extension with Ak Bars on May 4 RT @unalunabianca: @stevezipay Hey Steve, Is Jarkko really coming back?

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/stevezipay/status/70869209873268736

Close the thread. Four year extension.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: May 18, 2011 11:11a

He signed extension with Ak Bars on May 4 RT @unalunabianca: @stevezipay Hey Steve, Is Jarkko really coming back?

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/stevezipay/status/70869209873268736

Close the thread. Four year extension.
I am pretty tired right now, but didn't someone write that he had an out?

Old
05-18-2011, 03:07 PM
walle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Four year extension.
"4" in Twitter means 4th of May. Not four year extension. Kazan just announced contract extension on their website with Immonen on 4th of May. No other info was announced. When asked about it Jarkko himself didnt want to comment it. (because of WC he just skipped the question)

walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I never understood why Immonen was send packing myself. Every game I watched him in he was noticable and created chances. I would welcome his return to the club.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Mara

Immonen has said over and over again that he is happy in the KHL; the pay is good, the team is very competitive and he has a role he likes. Add to that the fact that he isn't getting any younger and it's clear that it's very very unlikely to see him in the NHL.

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 05:11 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I never understood why Immonen was send packing myself. Every game I watched him in he was noticable and created chances. I would welcome his return to the club.
I remember reading that Renney had an issue with Immonens foot speed..

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
I remember reading that Renney had an issue with Immonens foot speed..
Didn't he have a 3 point game in his debut? I never got why Renney didn't see the production and let him improve his skating like we did with Boyle. I thought Tom had a hand in bringing him over in the trade so he knew what he was getting.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:27 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by walle View Post
"4" in Twitter means 4th of May. Not four year extension. Kazan just announced contract extension on their website with Immonen on 4th of May. No other info was announced. When asked about it Jarkko himself didnt want to comment it. (because of WC he just skipped the question)
I misread the tweet. I posted it from my phone. Is that OK with you?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:35 PM
gluvhand

Yeah. Much better that incorrect info goes unchecked to spare your heightened sensitivity.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:46 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Yeah. Much better that incorrect info goes unchecked to spare your heightened sensitivity.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:49 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Didn't he have a 3 point game in his debut? I never got why Renney didn't see the production and let him improve his skating like we did with Boyle. I thought Tom had a hand in bringing him over in the trade so he knew what he was getting.
I mean the more we find out about Tom Renney and his ability to judge young talent the more I think that's far from his strong-suit. He did take credit for the Jessiman disaster.

Old
05-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Ola

Quote:
He only scored 116 pts in 128 games as the first line center for HFD. And he was 22/23 y/o or something (not under 22) when he came over. Like we didn't give up a "star".

Quite frankly, he wouldn't have been a top 3 center on our roster. And I don't get why you should "invest" in something that you can get for free any summer.

Old
05-19-2011, 01:32 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
He only scored 116 pts in 128 games as the first line center for HFD. And he was 22/23 y/o or something (not under 22) when he came over. Like we didn't give up a "star".

Quite frankly, he wouldn't have been a top 3 center on our roster. And I don't get why you should "invest" in something that you can get for free any summer.
I can see Immonen, or could've seen Immonen having a Dominic Moore-esque career and Moore was traded in each of the past two deadlines for a 2nd round pick. And with 116 points in 128 games, it wouldn't be like we were trying to peddle off Danny Hobbs on anyone. Bad asset management but not tragic asset management. He's obviously not worthless.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 03:17 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
It doesn't hurt to take a gamble on Immonen, I guess.

I just never understood why he wasn't given a real shot the first time around while players like Dawes and Voros were given ample opportunity to prove that they suck. Brad Isbister somehow played more games than Immonen during that season he was called up, blech.
Hey, Brad played some real good hockey. Anyway i kinda remember Immonen and didnt see much 5 on 5. We had our top 2 lines set and PP was full also. So him playing as 3rd liner was not very effective at the time. Its possible in a different scenario he may be better off. Finish players seem to have compete which is a good thing.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote