HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators sign Jakob Silfverberg; loan him back to SEL

Old
05-29-2011, 08:07 AM
ShotDownCrosby

vCash: 500
Better than nothing! If the kid thinks he needs more time, whats one year!?

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Given his style of play, I don't mind him staying there. His physical style, if brought over to early, could come crashing back to earth if he was nullified on NA ice early on. Give him another year of growing, refining his skills and playing at an elite level, and he'll be ready to jump right into our line-up most likely in 2012-13. Perhaps right on to a scoring line.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 08:16 AM
JonnyMacSen
2nd round Chlapik!

Glad he's signed, he's hinted that he wasn't ready a few times now so this is no real surprise. He'll have a year to prepare himself and hopefully be more motivated and ready to go next season.

We have potentially 2 Swedes coming over this year anyway (Pettersson/Rundblad/Landeskog), along with a boat load of other prospects to look forward to potentially joining the team in the fall, can't have to many rookies on the team at one time I guess.

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 08:20 AM
TSA0402

I'm glad he didn't come over. Not all kids can just jump right into the big leagues.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Flamingo

What's the point of sign-and-loan? Do the Sens have to get him on contract within a certain time after drafting him to keep his rights?

Extra year to play in the SEL is fine with me. If he still has upside to develop, he'll have more opportunity to do it there.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 08:35 AM
DJB

vCash: 8579
Good. Glad that he is signed.

Of course closer to Ottawa would make it easier to get some news from him and the Sens would have more control over him, but for those worried about him playing in the SEL, he already plays a NA game. To me, there really isn't much of a need to get accustome to a NA game...

I just wish that he was being loaned to Forsberg's team rather then back to Brynas.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 08:51 AM
koreaboy

wait a sec. does this mean that WE are paying him to play in sweden and that he's burning up a year of eligibility over there? if that's the case, this sucks. if his contract slides if he stays over there another year i'm fine with it, but if we are paying him to play over there and if it means he's lost a year of eligibility, i can't see why we wouldnt have just let him stay over there next year on THEIR dime and time and then just sign him next year. euro drafted players don't go back into the draft if they aren't signed, we would have kept his rights, so other than getting him here for a year of rookie camp, what's the benefit of this to us if this is actually what's happening?

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 08:54 AM
JonnyMacSen
2nd round Chlapik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
wait a sec. does this mean that WE are paying him to play in sweden and that he's burning up a year of eligibility over there? if that's the case, this sucks. if his contract slides if he stays over there another year i'm fine with it, but if we are paying him to play over there and if it means he's lost a year of eligibility, i can't see why we wouldnt have just let him stay over there next year on THEIR dime and time and then just sign him next year. euro drafted players don't go back into the draft if they aren't signed, we would have kept his rights, so other than getting him here for a year of rookie camp, what's the benefit of this to us if this is actually what's happening?
Its the same thing with Rundblad, he was signed and then loaned to the SEL, granted St Louis made that move but its not uncommon.

Old
05-29-2011, 08:55 AM
koreaboy

we weren't paying last year though, were we? and he didnt burn up a year of FA eligibility.

Old
05-29-2011, 09:00 AM
JonnyMacSen
2nd round Chlapik!

Quote:
we weren't paying last year though, were we? and he didnt burn up a year of FA eligibility.
He was under a ELC that he signed with St Louis so I imagine we were, and also burned a year off it.

See Player Bio & History
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...r=7069&lang=en

Old
05-29-2011, 09:47 AM
koreaboy

that's just stupid then. what's in it for us to pay a kid to play in europe and to bring forward by one year his UFA eligibility?

Old
05-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Yashin

Quote:
that's just stupid then. what's in it for us to pay a kid to play in europe and to bring forward by one year his UFA eligibility?
An extra year of development without having to leave your home country

Yashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:00 AM
operasen

I think he still can come over and do the rookie camps and Training Camp. IF he makes the team he stays. If he does not, then instead of playing in Binghamton, he plays in Sweden - but can still be recalled. Its just a longer trip to get here.

operasen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:03 AM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
He was under a ELC that he signed with St Louis so I imagine we were, and also burned a year off it.

See Player Bio & History
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...r=7069&lang=en
I don't have the CBA in front of me, but my understanding is they don't burn a year off the contract or pay him. It would be the same as signing a player like Cowen who returns to the CHL. Cowen wasn't being paid, and didn't lose a year off the contract despite being signed. There was likely a signing bonus, so we would have paid that, but no actual salary.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Minister of Offence

Nothin wrong with this. Probably gets all of the Tre Kronor invites next year with increased responsibility. Probably breaks out a bit more in SEL and maybe becomes a top player in the league. With a guy like this, take your time and let him learn how to be a scorer/go to guy......

I firmly believe this is the type of skill set the Red Wings would have been all over had they had the chance in 09. I imagine they would have taken their time and turned this guy into a real player....even if he could have been an NHLer a little earlier.

We'll have to wait a bit longer but I firmly believe the amount he realizes his potential probably just increased.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:17 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

This is a good move. As much as I selfishly want him in North America, it'll serve him well to be 'the guy' for Brynas. Hopefully, he breaks out in a big way. He'll probably never play a game in the AHL and jump right into the NHL.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Spending an extra year in the SEL helped Rundblad in a very big way, and will likely do the same to Silfverberg. Imagine if you will, if he were to make the same leap in development as Rundblad did. if that were the case, comparisons to being the next Alfie won't be that far off.

I question some of the posters around here who seem to think they know better than the player or team management in terms of what would be better for the player's development. Some of you proclaim that Silfverberg must play in NA next year to better his development and base it on what? Watching him play less than a handful of games? But I guess you guys know better than the people who actually have the knowledge and experience to make these decisions.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:35 AM
koreaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin View Post
An extra year of development without having to leave your home country
yes, but why would we have to SIGN him and PAY him to do that? if we don't sign him and pay him he would have been developing for another year in his own country anyways, but not on our dime.

Old
05-29-2011, 10:36 AM
koreaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
I don't have the CBA in front of me, but my understanding is they don't burn a year off the contract or pay him. It would be the same as signing a player like Cowen who returns to the CHL. Cowen wasn't being paid, and didn't lose a year off the contract despite being signed. There was likely a signing bonus, so we would have paid that, but no actual salary.
this was my understanding too and i hope this is correct. but from the way people are talking here, we would be paying him, loaning him to his swedish club, and he'd be losing a year of pro eligibility because he's on contract with us being paid by us.

Old
05-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
yes, but why would we have to SIGN him and PAY him to do that? if we don't sign him and pay him he would have been developing for another year in his own country anyways, but not on our dime.
Yeah I'm actually not sure what the motivation is for us to get him signed only to loan him. Just brings him one year closer to a raise without him having played here.

Old
05-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
this was my understanding too and i hope this is correct. but from the way people are talking here, we would be paying him, loaning him to his swedish club, and he'd be losing a year of pro eligibility because he's on contract with us being paid by us.
If he doesn't lose a year than whatever, but I was going off the assumption that Rundblad lost a year this year.

Old
05-29-2011, 10:41 AM
dmarc
SENS!!!!!!!

I dont think it burns a year off his deal... but then again I'm not too sure

If he were to sign at the end of next year though I think its only a 2 year deal based on his age so that could be the motivation here based on whether or not this burns a year... we need danishh and his CBA skills up in here.

With that said, I think selfishly we all wanted him here so we can see the kid play but this isnt a bad thing for his development for sure, although I'm convinced some biddy played a role in him wanting to stay another year

dmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:42 AM
kuparinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Good. Glad that he is signed.

Of course closer to Ottawa would make it easier to get some news from him and the Sens would have more control over him, but for those worried about him playing in the SEL, he already plays a NA game. To me, there really isn't much of a need to get accustome to a NA game...

I just wish that he was being loaned to Forsberg's team rather then back to Brynas.
Why? He played second most of all Brynäs' forwards last year and I don't he will play less next season.. I actually think this is a good deal for all parts, for Ottawa, for Brynäs and for Silfverberg himself.

kuparinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shanny
Let's Win It All

I like it. If he doesn't think he's ready for the show yet and would rather stay home next year and improve his game, so be it. Too much risk in rushing a kid like this. Imo, he really could be a special player for us in 2-3 years, and hopefully will be a key component when we are contenders again.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
koreaboy

these are the kinds of issues that very often don't get reported properly. these nitpicky fine points of the CBA often get misreported, especially if the story is coming out of sweden where they are even less familiar with our CBA.

if this is a bonafide contract that we have signed this kid to, that we are paying for, and that results in him playing all year in sweden while using up a year of FA eligibility then i think it's a stupid, stupid thing to do. when you have the hammer against players you have to use it for the good of the organization. if he's good, he'll get paid soon enough. before he's played day 1 in this league, why would we be spending our money and bringing him a year closer to the time when he can leave, to stay home and play for someone else? i don't get it, and i hope that's not what's happening here.