HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yemelin signed 1yr/$984,200 (two-way deal with clause to return to KHL if demoted)

Old
05-18-2011, 07:57 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
Just like having a first line of Cammalleri - Plekanec - Halpern (13-14-15)
True!

White Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:17 PM
LeMAD

You guys have unrealistic hopes about this guy, and will whine all season that he's not as good as everyone said he was.

The guy is projected to be a bottom pairing defenseman. Let's hope he's reliable and that his lack of discipline doesn't hurt us too much.

He won't be our Nicklas Kronwall, forget it.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:22 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
You guys have unrealistic hopes about this guy, and will whine all season that he's not as good as everyone said he was.

The guy is projected to be a bottom pairing defenseman. Let's hope he's reliable and that his lack of discipline doesn't hurt us too much.

LeMad.. U MAD?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:33 PM
JHabs61

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post
I'm about to create Alexei Yemelin on NHL'11.... I was wondering how should i rank him? around 75 offensive and 81 defensive and 90 for Bodychecking.. 82 speed.. looking to be around 79-80 rating..

is that a fair assessement??
I made it so he was 80 overall .. So, yeah. fair assessment

JHabs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:35 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

I think putting unrealistic expectations on someone is just as bad as saying he absolutely won't be xxxx.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:38 PM
ChoseLa

We don't know how this will turn out at all. But 6"2 223lbs is sexy.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Their POV is as much unrealistic as yours. For all we know, Yemelin could end-up not making it as much as he could end up being a solid top 4 D. The key is not to be down on him in his first two seasons, as there will be adaptation.

I remember some people saying Streit wouldn't be better than a bottom pairing D, but that was in his first season.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I think putting unrealistic expectations on someone is just as bad as saying he absolutely won't be xxxx.
Dang you beat me to it

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:49 PM
habsrule22

Ericsson’s first full NHL season was marred by mistakes that led to many goals for the opposition and minus ratings on many nights for the young defenseman.

The Detroit Red Wings knew he was much better than he showed in 2009-10. He has proven it this season.

Ericsson still is a work in progress, but he might be the team’s most improved player.

“I learned a lot from what happened last year, couple of rough months there,’’ Ericsson said before Saturday’s game in Phoenix. “It’s all about confidence. If you play with confidence, everything comes natural. When you think too much you have to try to get back to basics again.

“It’s been a lot better year.’’

Ericsson has three goals, 11 assists and — most importantly — a plus-11 rating that ranks third on the club. Last season, he was a team-worst minus-15, plagued by turnovers and bad decisions.

Coach Mike Babcock said Ericsson “is going in the right direction in his career’’ and attributed his improvement to confidence, which comes from experience. Ericsson, the final player selected in the 2002 NHL entry draft (291st overall), didn’t start playing defense in his native Sweden until he was 17.

“He’s 26 (turned 27 on Wednesday), but he’s a kid in the league,’’ Babcock said. “He’s a big, talented guy who has to play a simple, hard, physical game to be successful. The more simple he plays, the better he plays. It’s real straight-forward.

“Sometimes with his skill level he tries to be a little fine with the puck. All he’s got to do is watch Nick (Lidstrom). The best plays are the simplest ones. As long as he keeps his game simple, he’s a real good player for us.’’

When a defenseman is 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, many expect him to be a punishing force. Ericsson, however, ranks ninth on the team with 77 hits. He is not a consistent physical presence like teammate Brad Stuart and doesn’t step up to deliver a crunching check like Niklas Kronwall occasionally does.

But Ericsson believes his physical game will evolve with time.

“It’s something I always have in the back of my mind, try to be more physical,’’ Ericsson said. “You want those things to come, it’s hard to force things out there. Of course, I should be thinking about being more aggressive out there. You don’t want to try too much because then you’re going to overdo it and you’re going to get lost in the D-zone. Just progressively you have to get better.’’

Ericsson is more concerned about improving on the penalty kill.

“I want to be better at penalty killing, be a force for us there, be a guy they can count on every night,’’ Ericsson said.

He has been paired with Kronwall the past five games because Brian Rafalski has been idled by back spasms. Ericsson and Rafalski have been paired together most of the season.

“It helped me a lot,’’ Ericsson said. “I try to back (Rafalski) up when he’s going on the offensive. I feel confident playing with him. I think we work well together.’’

Ericsson is in the final year of his contract, earning $1.25 million (it was structured so the salary-cap hit is $900,000), and can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

His agent has had some talks with general manager Ken Holland, but they are not close to a deal. If no agreement is reached before end of the regular season, talks will be tabled until after the playoffs.

Ericsson said it’s not a distraction.

“We’ll see what happens,’’ he said. “I don’t want to think about it. The less you think the better it is. When it comes, it comes.’’

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:51 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

Just be patient, it took Kronwall a couple seasons to get his groove going in the NHL and he was roughly the same age as Emelin is now.

I personally didn't even compare the two, if anything I'd compare him more to Volchenkov in terms of what I expect. Big hits, "strong hockey plays", limited but not terrible offensive output at the NHL level. I don't know if he'll manage to read the game as well positionally in the NHL as Volchenkov does right now, but we'll see. Gotta be patient.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:55 PM
habsrule22

If Ericsson wants around 3m would we better off long term with him than say a Gill or Hammer.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:57 PM
NewHabsEra*

Bieksa would be the ideal signing on D IMO..

Markov Bieksa

Diaz Subban

Gorges Spacek/Weber/Emelin

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:06 PM
ericd

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Max Pacioretty ($0.910m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.350m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.500m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / David Desharnais ($0.550m) / Ryan White ($0.850m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.500m) / Dustin Boyd ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Josh Gorges ($1.100m) / James Wisniewski ($3.250m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m) / Yannick Weber ($0.875m)
Alexandre Picard ($0.600m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Alex Auld ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,205,509; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $6,394,491

ericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

I have to say.....I was dissapointed in the guy 2 years ago. The year that he was supposed to show some progression, in my honest opinion, he showed some regression to his game. Now, don't get me wrong, it can also be the coach. It seems to me that Emelin could not had any rushes, the further he'd go would be at the red line...But even defensively, he was not moving his feet, took TONS of stupid hooking penalties etc...The only place he'd look good would be in the PK. So that's was 2 years ago. I absolutely did not see him play this year but everybody tells us that he was MUCH MUCH better. And his stats shows it. Fine. But when I had the chance to look at him at the Worlds....I have to say (and I know it's just 2 games), he looked to me like the guy I saw 2 years ago. A pretty passive game, mostly reactionary, I didn't see a whole lot of jump nor any proactive and hockey sense plays....

Again, don't get me wrong, he is going to play in the NHL....but let's hope people gives him time...and can not expect a top 4 role from the start. It won't happen. Just like Diaz who CLEARLY, at least for me, will start the year in Hamilton.

If you want more physicality in your D pairings, you cannot solely rely your hopes on Emelin. Habs have to realize it and address it elsewhere.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Ericsson’s first full NHL season was marred by mistakes that led to many goals for the opposition and minus ratings on many nights for the young defenseman.

The Detroit Red Wings knew he was much better than he showed in 2009-10. He has proven it this season.

Ericsson still is a work in progress, but he might be the team’s most improved player.

“I learned a lot from what happened last year, couple of rough months there,’’ Ericsson said before Saturday’s game in Phoenix. “It’s all about confidence. If you play with confidence, everything comes natural. When you think too much you have to try to get back to basics again.

“It’s been a lot better year.’’

Ericsson has three goals, 11 assists and — most importantly — a plus-11 rating that ranks third on the club. Last season, he was a team-worst minus-15, plagued by turnovers and bad decisions.

Coach Mike Babcock said Ericsson “is going in the right direction in his career’’ and attributed his improvement to confidence, which comes from experience. Ericsson, the final player selected in the 2002 NHL entry draft (291st overall), didn’t start playing defense in his native Sweden until he was 17.

“He’s 26 (turned 27 on Wednesday), but he’s a kid in the league,’’ Babcock said. “He’s a big, talented guy who has to play a simple, hard, physical game to be successful. The more simple he plays, the better he plays. It’s real straight-forward.

“Sometimes with his skill level he tries to be a little fine with the puck. All he’s got to do is watch Nick (Lidstrom). The best plays are the simplest ones. As long as he keeps his game simple, he’s a real good player for us.’’

When a defenseman is 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, many expect him to be a punishing force. Ericsson, however, ranks ninth on the team with 77 hits. He is not a consistent physical presence like teammate Brad Stuart and doesn’t step up to deliver a crunching check like Niklas Kronwall occasionally does.

But Ericsson believes his physical game will evolve with time.

“It’s something I always have in the back of my mind, try to be more physical,’’ Ericsson said. “You want those things to come, it’s hard to force things out there. Of course, I should be thinking about being more aggressive out there. You don’t want to try too much because then you’re going to overdo it and you’re going to get lost in the D-zone. Just progressively you have to get better.’’

Ericsson is more concerned about improving on the penalty kill.

“I want to be better at penalty killing, be a force for us there, be a guy they can count on every night,’’ Ericsson said.

He has been paired with Kronwall the past five games because Brian Rafalski has been idled by back spasms. Ericsson and Rafalski have been paired together most of the season.

“It helped me a lot,’’ Ericsson said. “I try to back (Rafalski) up when he’s going on the offensive. I feel confident playing with him. I think we work well together.’’

Ericsson is in the final year of his contract, earning $1.25 million (it was structured so the salary-cap hit is $900,000), and can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

His agent has had some talks with general manager Ken Holland, but they are not close to a deal. If no agreement is reached before end of the regular season, talks will be tabled until after the playoffs.

Ericsson said it’s not a distraction.

“We’ll see what happens,’’ he said. “I don’t want to think about it. The less you think the better it is. When it comes, it comes.’’
Hmmmmmm. Isn't that at tempting thought. I don't know the player well enough to know his upside, but if he has one he's a perfectly positioned player for another team to go after. Detroit HAS to go for it again next year, assuming Lidstrom comes back. A team could get a long-term asset for a short-term overpayment.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 12:42 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I have to say.....I was dissapointed in the guy 2 years ago. The year that he was supposed to show some progression, in my honest opinion, he showed some regression to his game. Now, don't get me wrong, it can also be the coach. It seems to me that Emelin could not had any rushes, the further he'd go would be at the red line...But even defensively, he was not moving his feet, took TONS of stupid hooking penalties etc...The only place he'd look good would be in the PK. So that's was 2 years ago. I absolutely did not see him play this year but everybody tells us that he was MUCH MUCH better. And his stats shows it. Fine. But when I had the chance to look at him at the Worlds....I have to say (and I know it's just 2 games), he looked to me like the guy I saw 2 years ago. A pretty passive game, mostly reactionary, I didn't see a whole lot of jump nor any proactive and hockey sense plays....

Again, don't get me wrong, he is going to play in the NHL....but let's hope people gives him time...and can not expect a top 4 role from the start. It won't happen. Just like Diaz who CLEARLY, at least for me, will start the year in Hamilton.

If you want more physicality in your D pairings, you cannot solely rely your hopes on Emelin. Habs have to realize it and address it elsewhere.
I agree completely. That is why it is brilliant that we can rid of him if he does not prove worthy of an NHL spot. Based on most accounts this has been a good signing. Especially at the rate we got him at and our specific organizational needs on the back end.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:29 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 200
Quote:

Been bottom of the league all season long. To hell with it. Bring on the penalties.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:50 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post

Markov Bieksa

Diaz Subban

What's Diaz doing in there again?

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
What's Diaz doing in there again?
Especially that high in the pecking order, plus it makes for two RH offensive d-men on the same pair. No way Diaz starts the year ahead of Gorges Weber and probably not Yemelin either. The best partner for Subban would be Gill for another year, then if Yemelin has a successful adjustment year, next year I think they could be a strong pair together.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post

Markov Bieksa

Diaz Subban

Ehrhoff would be much better than Bieksa

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:17 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price2Pleks View Post
I made it so he was 80 overall .. So, yeah. fair assessment
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post
I'm about to create Alexei Yemelin on NHL'11.... I was wondering how should i rank him? around 75 offensive and 81 defensive and 90 for Bodychecking.. 82 speed.. looking to be around 79-80 rating..

is that a fair assessement??
Why would you? I'm not home right now, but isn't he in the KHL already? Can't you just transfer him to the habs or am I wrong?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:25 PM
usernam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag1328 View Post
Expect VERY limited English on his part. Don Meehan stressed the importance of learning English and even some French. He called it a critical aspect for his integration (the English part, I would assume). But it is my understanding that at this point, Emelin doesn't speak English,
On a scale from "Shakespeare" to "Renaud Lavoie", how would you rate Yemelin's English?

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:30 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Why would you? I'm not home right now, but isn't he in the KHL already? Can't you just transfer him to the habs or am I wrong?
No khl in nhl 11 brah.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Pr3Va1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Max Pacioretty ($0.910m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.350m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.500m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / David Desharnais ($0.550m) / Ryan White ($0.850m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.500m) / Dustin Boyd ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Josh Gorges ($1.100m) / James Wisniewski ($3.250m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m) / Yannick Weber ($0.875m)
Alexandre Picard ($0.600m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Alex Auld ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,205,509; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $6,394,491

Eller will be sidelined to start the season.

Gorges won't be making 1.1M..... Think more around 2.5 or something.

If we get Wiz at 3.25, we're freaking golden, too !

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Ehrhoff would be much better than Bieksa
Ehrhoff might be a slightly better Dman than Bieksa (not the same style though) but Bieksa would fit our needs and line up much better. He<s the perfect fit to Markov with his style and being right handed.

But I would take either

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote