HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

When will the next roster move be made?

Old
05-17-2011, 01:25 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

vCash: 500
When will the next roster move be made?

Will we see anything before the Draft? Day 1 of the Draft?

For anybody wanting to be adventurous, what's your guess who/what it will be?

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 01:52 PM
tmack224

I really beileve the Sabres are gonna go hard after a Center at the draft.

Something around Roy with add ons like Stafford, prospect, pick type deal for someone like stastny or spezza.

I dont waant to get rid of Roy but I just dont see either of those teams taking a trade without him going the other way. Hopefully if we do make the trade we dont give up to much more the Roy to do it.

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post

Something around Roy with add ons like Stafford, prospect, pick type deal for someone like stastny or spezza.

I dont waant to get rid of Roy but I just dont see either of those teams taking a trade without him going the other way. Hopefully if we do make the trade we dont give up to much more the Roy to do it.
So, the Sabres need a center, and they're going to give up a center to get one? Then they'll be left needing...a center?

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
I think Stafford will be the piece on the market at the draft. Trading for Boyes could've been a safety net for a year while Kassian makes his way to the NHL.

Stafford+1st = Stastny IMO
Stafford would be the perfect replacement for Stewart in Colorado.

of course, Stastny is probably not available...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 01:57 PM
barnell
butter knife hockey

If thwy really are on a ~3yr plan I expect to see deals to be made leading up to and during the draft. Draft picks are nice for rebuilding but realistically any player that is drafted does not really fit into Pegula's 3yr timeline.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 01:59 PM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
So, the Sabres need a center, and they're going to give up a center to get one? Then they'll be left needing...a center?
heh yeah I know Its just a gut feeling. Like I said I dont want to get rid of Roy but I just feel like if we make a trade for a #1 center hes gonna be a part of it. I really hope im Wrong believe me, i have 3 Roy jerseys lol

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 02:01 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:

And I think teams wanting Roy as a return is an awful BIG risk. He played a total of one game after a big injury. An injury that may affect how effective he is from now on. He may be the same as he was before the injury, he may not be. What a giant gamble that is. If it was a smaller non surgical injury, well, that's something different. I think most teams would want a couple young guns, plus high draft picks. Just my O.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 02:04 PM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Quote:
heh yeah I know Its just a gut feeling. Like I said I dont want to get rid of Roy but I just feel like if we make a trade for a #1 center hes gonna be a part of it. I really hope im Wrong believe me, i have 3 Roy jerseys lol
Any trade to bring a top-6 center that involves Roy isn't really a trade that I'd like to make. The team's great weakness is its lack of any real depth up the middle.

How does it make sense to rearrange deck chairs on the titanic to give up ourr only proven top-6 center plus other pieces to aquire a top-6 center?

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 02:08 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
July 6th.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Reddawg

I'd be fine with trading Roy to get Stastny if we also get Richards on July 1st, otherwise it would be a pointless move.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
You guys still have a hard on for Statsny huh? Really not sure why at all.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:22 PM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Easy you obviously haven't thought about it. He is young, scores points, has hockey in his blood, the only draw back is his contract but at his age you don't have to worry about him slowing down. Also with few centers available and his name surfacing poeple are jumping on.

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddkaz View Post
Easy you obviously haven't thought about it. He is young, scores points, has hockey in his blood, the only draw back is his contract but at his age you don't have to worry about him slowing down. Also with few centers available and his name surfacing poeple are jumping on.
He already does slow down, about every other game. He does not show up to play nearly as much as Sabres fans want to believe. He's not much better than Roy at all, if not worse.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

July 25th

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Will we see anything before the Draft? Day 1 of the Draft?

For anybody wanting to be adventurous, what's your guess who/what it will be?
I was surprised that some trades already happened (albeit of prospects) because I thought there was a freeze on transactions between teams from the deadline to the end of the playoffs; TBN clarified that non-playoff teams can make any moves they want but it rarely happens til everyone is done.

My gut feeling - knowing how deliberate Regier and his staff and that Pegula/Black are still playing catch-up a bit on the entire process and issues - is that we won't see any moves from Sabres til the draft. I do expect them to make some deals, even if only to clear roster/financial space for bigger moves later in the summer.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Seriously?

Old
05-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
I'd be fine with trading Roy to get Stastny if we also get Richards on July 1st, otherwise it would be a pointless move.
I'd bet my house that the Sabres would never tie up $12M+ in cap space on two centers - and that's assuming Richards accepts a deal that only has a $6M hit.

More than likely, it'd have to be a choice between the two.

Old
05-17-2011, 05:38 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I was surprised that some trades already happened (albeit of prospects) because I thought there was a freeze on transactions between teams from the deadline to the end of the playoffs; TBN clarified that non-playoff teams can make any moves they want but it rarely happens til everyone is done.

My gut feeling - knowing how deliberate Regier and his staff and that Pegula/Black are still playing catch-up a bit on the entire process and issues - is that we won't see any moves from Sabres til the draft. I do expect them to make some deals, even if only to clear roster/financial space for bigger moves later in the summer.
I hope he does something before the draft. Like signing Foligno and McNabb or re-signing some of the RFAs before June (if those count as moves).

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
I hope he does something before the draft. Like signing Foligno and McNabb or re-signing some of the RFAs before June (if those count as moves).
Getting unsigned prospects inked to contracts is often a no-brainer and not really the kind of move that impacts the NHL roster in the coming season IMO.

Of course, as soon as I say that, someone will bring up Zigomanis...

Old
05-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Weird Fish

Send a message via AIM to Weird Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I think Stafford will be the piece on the market at the draft. Trading for Boyes could've been a safety net for a year while Kassian makes his way to the NHL.
Agreed. I think they'll be pushing Stafford hard for a center, with Boyes holding his roster spot while Kassian spends a year in the AHL.

If a Stafford for center deal that they like isn't there on draft day, I wouldn't be surprised to see them wait until the after the free agent frenzy comes to an end to try and poach one. Bit of a risky move though given how little movement was made after the free agent frenzy last year.

Could also see them look to package up one of the young defensemen with a lower pick in an effort to move up in the draft. Think one of Butler/Gragnani + 5th for a 3rd. It would give the Sabres another pick in the first 3 rounds, which they lost in the Boyes trade. And it would open up a roster spot for them to go after a UFA defenseman on July 1st.

Weird Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
I'd bet my house that the Sabres would never tie up $12M+ in cap space on two centers - and that's assuming Richards accepts a deal that only has a $6M hit.

More than likely, it'd have to be a choice between the two.
Oh, I fully agree with you, which is why it makes far more sense to go after Richards than Stastny if the price for Stastny is Roy. I like the look of Richards as the #1 and Roy as the #2 much better than even the combo of Richards and Stastny let alone Stastny and Roy. The only thing Stastny would really give us over Derek Roy would be some elite ability in the faceoff circle that's badly lacking in the top six.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
I suspect he'll be trying to deal on draft day if he hasn't already.

05-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
Oh, I fully agree with you, which is why it makes far more sense to go after Richards than Stastny if the price for Stastny is Roy. I like the look of Richards as the #1 and Roy as the #2 much better than even the combo of Richards and Stastny let alone Stastny and Roy. The only thing Stastny would really give us over Derek Roy would be some elite ability in the faceoff circle that's badly lacking in the top six.
Richards may be the more dynamic scorer and proven playoff performer but, long-term, Stastny is 5 years younger - which counts for something if the Sabres want to win more than just 1 Cup. He would solidify the center depth for the next 8-10 years.

Old
05-18-2011, 06:12 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Richards may be the more dynamic scorer and proven playoff performer but, long-term, Stastny is 5 years younger - which counts for something if the Sabres want to win more than just 1 Cup. He would solidify the center depth for the next 8-10 years.
At likely a higher cap hit and would cost numerous assets to acquire.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Fish View Post
Agreed. I think they'll be pushing Stafford hard for a center, with Boyes holding his roster spot while Kassian spends a year in the AHL.

If a Stafford for center deal that they like isn't there on draft day, I wouldn't be surprised to see them wait until the after the free agent frenzy comes to an end to try and poach one. Bit of a risky move though given how little movement was made after the free agent frenzy last year.

Could also see them look to package up one of the young defensemen with a lower pick in an effort to move up in the draft. Think one of Butler/Gragnani + 5th for a 3rd. It would give the Sabres another pick in the first 3 rounds, which they lost in the Boyes trade. And it would open up a roster spot for them to go after a UFA defenseman on July 1st.

that is a terrible proposal

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote