HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

When will the next roster move be made?

Old
05-18-2011, 08:26 AM
tmack224

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Fish View Post
Agreed. I think they'll be pushing Stafford hard for a center, with Boyes holding his roster spot while Kassian spends a year in the AHL.

If a Stafford for center deal that they like isn't there on draft day, I wouldn't be surprised to see them wait until the after the free agent frenzy comes to an end to try and poach one. Bit of a risky move though given how little movement was made after the free agent frenzy last year.

Could also see them look to package up one of the young defensemen with a lower pick in an effort to move up in the draft. Think one of Butler/Gragnani + 5th for a 3rd. It would give the Sabres another pick in the first 3 rounds, which they lost in the Boyes trade. And it would open up a roster spot for them to go after a UFA defenseman on July 1st.
Wow if you think we can only get a 3rd for that then that sucks... butler and a 5th for a second is more likely but there better be someone there at the pick like Rask to make that trade.

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Weird Fish

Send a message via AIM to Weird Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
Wow if you think we can only get a 3rd for that then that sucks... butler and a 5th for a second is more likely but there better be someone there at the pick like Rask to make that trade.
Eh Paille got a 3rd. MacArthur got a 3rd and a 4th. Maybe I'm underestimating Butler's value a bit and he can pull a 3rd straight up. He won't get a 2nd though unless the "+" that's added on is more significant than a 5th.

Gragnani though? A month and a half ago it looked like he had no shot at making the NHL. If we can take a good playoff out of him and use it to move back into the top-100 picks in the draft, that's a win for the Sabres.

Weird Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 01:08 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Fish View Post
Eh Paille got a 3rd. MacArthur got a 3rd and a 4th. Maybe I'm underestimating Butler's value a bit and he can pull a 3rd straight up. He won't get a 2nd though unless the "+" that's added on is more significant than a 5th.

Gragnani though? A month and a half ago it looked like he had no shot at making the NHL. If we can take a good playoff out of him and use it to move back into the top-100 picks in the draft, that's a win for the Sabres.
And draft somebody who has like a 10% chance of making the NHL? How does that make any sense.

This isn't the NFL draft, the vast majority of NHL draftees never even sniff the NHL. Anything beyond the first round is just hoping you get lucky.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Blitz
With the #2 pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Richards may be the more dynamic scorer and proven playoff performer but, long-term, Stastny is 5 years younger - which counts for something if the Sabres want to win more than just 1 Cup. He would solidify the center depth for the next 8-10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
At likely a higher cap hit and would cost numerous assets to acquire.
Both Dallas and Colorado know the predicament in Buffalo... and Stafford isn't gonna cut it... We are going to lose our shirts to get either of these guys... I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more of Kassian/Adam/McNabb/Ennis gone in either deal - If we manage to get Statsny outta COL you can probably expect a deal involving Enroth too.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Both Dallas and Colorado know the predicament in Buffalo... and Stafford isn't gonna cut it... We are going to lose our shirts to get either of these guys... I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more of Kassian/Adam/McNabb/Ennis gone in either deal - If we manage to get Statsny outta COL you can probably expect a deal involving Enroth too.
Maybe but, at this point, Colorado needs a proven #1 starter far more than a prospect with only 15 games of NHL experience. I'm not sure why the Enroth bandwagon is so convinced that other teams rate him as a starting NHL goalie. He played well in his games this past season but he's no more of a sure thing - right now - than what Colorado has with either Elliot or Budaj. If a team wants to add depth in goal or another option as their backup, maybe Enroth is asked for but I don't see him being a lynchpin required by any team to make a deal with Buffalo.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Sabretip

From an older article but a quote I hadn't heard from Regier before:

Quote:
New ownership with deeper pockets means Sabres GM Regier has the green light to be more aggressive and more selective this summer, whether that's in free agency or more likely via the trade route. He can add payroll.

"It means that the grocery store got a little bigger," Regier told ESPN.com Saturday.

The shopping list this summer?

"If we can add a little more offense, we need a bit more," Regier said. "And maybe someone who can add a little experience on the back end because we're a little young there."

The Sabres have seven UFA-bound forwards.

"Quite a few," said Regier. "Not sure yet how that's going to play out. We're still working through our player interviews. As a staff, we'll re-assess things and make some decisions. And there's some players who will make their own decisions, whether it's Rob Niedermayer or Mike Grier. They have decisions to make as well [retire or not]."

Tim Connolly is the biggest UFA for the Sabres, while Drew Stafford is the marquee RFA.

"He has options," Regier said of Connolly. "There aren't many centers this year who are unrestricted. We certainly would consider bringing him back, but it always comes back to price and term."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-drurys-future

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote