HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Terry Pegula Has Bought the Amerks (Update - it's complete)

Old
05-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Cool... so back to Rochester affiliation? would this be next year?

is this common? how many NHL Owners, also own the minor league affiliate?
This probably isn't 100% accurate

St. Louis - Peoria Rivermen
Philadelphia - Philadelphia Phantoms
Pittsburgh - Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins
LA - Manchester Monarchs
Minnesota - Houston Aeros
Calgary - Abbotsford Heat
NYI - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
NYR - Connecticut Whale
SJS - Worcester Sharks
Toronto - Toronto Marlies

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post

LA - Manchester Monarchs
NYR - Connecticut Whale
SJS - Worcester Sharks
more common than i thought

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
It's disgusting to think from a personal financial standpoint this purchase to Pegula is similar to us buying a bicycle rack for a new SUV for us. Just a small purchase to go a long with a bigger one, no biggie.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:43 PM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

Portland's been great I think, but this is also a good business move. If you can own the farm, and own it close to home, you should do it.

Back will come the good old days of calling up a player a few hours before game time.

There's a few ECHL teams with only one affiliate. Two bad Elmira already has two. I'd love to see them centralize the Sabres farm system all in upstate NY.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:43 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Quote:
One potential obstacle to the sale would be Buffalo's current affiliate agreement with Portland, which runs through the 2013-14 season and doesn't include an out clause.
I wonder how they'll work around that?

This news is definitely bittersweet for me. I really like that Rochester's back in the fold, but Portland has been awesome for the Sabres.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:46 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
Money talks. The correct dollar figure will get you out of any contract.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Rebuild

Quote:

This news is definitely bittersweet for me. I really like that Rochester's back in the fold, but Portland has been awesome for the Sabres.

I thought Portland was great. It will be sad to leave them. But, Rochester is a better fit.

Who is in Rochester now? Florida's prospects right? I doubt they are going to want to stay in an organization owned by a competing team. The possible opening in Portland might seem pretty attractive to them. As far as Portland goes, the lack of an out clause can be solved with a check. Money talks. It will probably be a one time payment and a ticket sale guarantee for the remainder of the contract.

I'm sure this will all be sorted out quickly and amicably.

Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:53 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Money talks. The correct dollar figure will get you out of any contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by two Tylers now View Post
I thought Portland was great. It will be sad to leave them. But, Rochester is a better fit.

Who is in Rochester now? Florida's prospects right? I doubt they are going to want to stay in an organization owned by a competing team. The possible opening in Portland might seem pretty attractive to them. As far as Portland goes, the lack of an out clause can be solved with a check. Money talks. It will probably be a one time payment and a ticket sale guarantee for the remainder of the contract.

I'm sure this will all be sorted out quickly and amicably
Should have known that it would be as simple as that.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:56 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post

LA - Manchester Monarchs
NYR - Connecticut Whale
SJS - Worcester Sharks
Also New Jersey (Albany Devils).

I'm kinda torn on this. While long-term of course being in Rochester is the best scenario, breaking the agreement with Portland who's been a very good affiliate seems wrong. Plus, if somehow Dineen doesn't get a NHL gig, there's no way he (or Weinrich) moves to Rochester.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:57 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by two Tylers now View Post

I'm sure this will all be sorted out quickly and amicably.
I'm pretty sure that even before this news, both sides didn't exactly like each other and were looking for something new after this season anyways.
There was talk of Rochester wanting to go independent because they were unhappy with how Florida was managing their team.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:10 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Should have known that it would be as simple as that.
It really is. They'll negotiate a one-time payment for breaking the affiliation and that will be the end of it.

If Portland really wanted to fight it they could take it to Court and let the system decide what the damages should be, but what's the point of that?

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:12 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
The extension was signed by the previous ownership group, not Mr. Pegula. It's perfectly normal for contracts and agreements to be re-evaluated when ownership changes.
My thoughts exactly.

Have to keep in mind that the current Buffalo Sabres franchise shares nothing but the name and the history with the previous ownership. This is akin to when a company is bought out - anything done under old management can be tossed aside without prejudice if new management doesn't think it syncs with their vision.

Just the way of things, I suppose.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:13 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
is THE Ted Nolan the VP of Hockey Operations in Rochester?
The Nolan angle is pretty juicy, eh? If Darcy falters...

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:14 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
I personally dislike this. Portland's been great, and the amount of "nostalgia" going on with Pegula is nice and all...but this team should be looking towards the future, not the past...lots of what's going on is concentrating on the past too much for me.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Better Call Saul

I really couldn't care less about this, but it'd be funny to see the Sabres organization fire Ted Nolan twice.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:20 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
I personally dislike this. Portland's been great, and the amount of "nostalgia" going on with Pegula is nice and all...but this team should be looking towards the future, not the past...lots of what's going on is concentrating on the past too much for me.
This is looking to the future by owning and controlling their affiliate.

It's great situation for the team.

It's not like they are just changing their affiliation.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:25 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Living in the past? This is a smart business move. Your farm team is now an hour and a half drive away, and this should help bring the Amerks more fans. Not only that, but it should help create more Sabres fans in Rochester. Take away that affiliation people lose interest in the Sabres and the Amerks. I doubt many Amerks fans truly care about the Panthers.

Last edited by ADoubleD: 05-17-2011 at 04:31 PM.
ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:30 PM
sabresfan129103

I'm sure there is some contingent plan on the Portland affiliation. I don't think Pegula would jump in head first buying the Amerks without a plan for the Portland deal.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:34 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
On the contrary, I think Pegula is looking to the future.

--There are definite advantages to having prospects 1 hour away. It would allow Regier/Ruff/etc. to watch them more often, and they can call prospects up in less time.
--Lets say sometime in the future Pegula/Black decides to set up a cable network a la Empire (obviously this is purely conjecture, there is no indication at this time that this is the case). Obviously having regional programming like the Americans would be useful (much like why the Indians moves from Buffalo to Columbus).
--Owning an AHL affiliate could also provide an even better environment for developing prospects. While Portland has been great in that regards, not having the middle-man can't hurt. And it just so happens that the Americans might be available. And if the rumors are true that another NHL team has contacted them...this might be the only chance Pegula has if he wants the team to be in Rochester.

I don't think this is about the past. I think this is about improving the hockey operations for the future.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:36 PM
SilverNitro23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
Living in the past? This is a smart business move. Your farm team is now an hour and a half drive away, and this should help bring the Amerks more fans. Not only that, but it should help create more Sabres fans in Rochester. Take away that affiliation people lose interest in the Sabres and the Amerks. I doubt many Amerks fans truly care about the Panthers.
Agreed. I live in Rochester, and i haven't gone to a single Amerk game since the Sabres went with Portland. This would definitely interest me enough into going to a few Amerk games, especially with Kassain coming up next year.

SilverNitro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
The Nolan angle is pretty juicy, eh? If Darcy falters...
Likewise if that tennis thing doesn't work out for Jesse Pegula I could see her getting the Amerks gig... it is her lifelong dream to run a hockey franchise, according to her Twitter profile.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
joshjull

Reading the TBN blog, supposedly two teams were interested in buying the Amerks.

Considering they knew they were selling. I think not having an out clause was yet another golden parachute move by Golisano/Quinn.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I am so excited to be able to watch young Sabres prospects play hockey at bargain prices once more. That's the biggest thing to me about all of this.

I think that the misgivings between the Sabres and Rochester hockey spheres will quickly be put to bed if the new owner of BOTH shows commitment to winning in both organizations. Ultimately, this should be good for Rochester and thus Amerks fans, no? Deep pockets.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
Holy hell.

Man, they really are trying to bring the glory days back. God, guys.... this is so awesome. We have the NHL's Mark Cuban as our owner. Awesome. The guy wants to win, desperately, and is willing to do whatever it damn well takes to bring the glory back to this franchise. Even potentially involving Ted Nolan somehow - that's one olive branch I never thought I'd see extended.

I could not be more excited.
That will be VERY interesting, especially given that Regier as the NHL GM and Ruff as the NHL coach have the most contact with the AHL affiliate. Not sure how much Nolan gets involved with on the hockey side if he's in an executive role but he surely can't be that comfortable having to retrace history with the two men that replaced him. Imagine if this time next year, Pegula replaces Regier as GM but keeps him in the organization scouting talent and asks him to be GM in Rochester. If Nolan stayed on as President, that would mean that Darcy would answer to Nolan. Talk about ironies....

If the Rochester deal does happen, does that mean Dineen severs ties with the Sabres and stays in Portland (assuming no NHL job comes) or does he move with the NHL parent to Rochester?

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I'm sure there is some contingent plan on the Portland affiliation. I don't think Pegula would jump in head first buying the Amerks without a plan for the Portland deal.
The reports from Portland when their playoffs ended a few weeks ago said that the Sabres still have 2 years left on their contract with the Pirates affiliation. Regier seemed to be very happy with them so if the Sabres do switch gears out of the blue like it sounds, I'm sure the Portland organization won't be happy.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote