HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The 3-year Entry Level Deal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-17-2011, 05:18 PM
  #1
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011
 
S.S. Giggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Country: United States
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 500
The 3-year Entry Level Deal

Ideally, I am aware that the main purpose behind the 3 year entry level deal on a drafted player is to have him spend 1 year in Juniors after being drafted, 1 year in the AHL, and 1 year in the NHL. However with the upsurge of young talent that is the post-lockout NHL and guys like Fowler, Skinner, and Burmistrov who are too good for Juniors but can get into the AHL because of their age restriction. Do you guys think that this AHL restriction is killing the idea behind the Entry Level Deal? What can be done?

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:26 PM
  #2
hatterson
Global Moderator
 
hatterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,790
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
I don't like the AHL age restriction on drafted players.

Keep it there for undrafted players so you don't have 17 or 18 year old kids playing there instead of Junior, but once you're drafted I'd say go for it.

Edit: With the exception of players drafted from European leagues. They should stay in Europe until they're 20 or until they're ready for the NHL in order to keep some talent over there.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:30 PM
  #3
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1
 
John Swartzwelder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy View Post
Ideally, I am aware that the main purpose behind the 3 year entry level deal on a drafted player is to have him spend 1 year in Juniors after being drafted, 1 year in the AHL, and 1 year in the NHL. However with the upsurge of young talent that is the post-lockout NHL and guys like Fowler, Skinner, and Burmistrov who are too good for Juniors but can get into the AHL because of their age restriction. Do you guys think that this AHL restriction is killing the idea behind the Entry Level Deal? What can be done?
1) if a player spends a year in juniors, the contract is extended one season (slide)

2) what does 1 year in each of those leagues have to do with anything

3) there is an age restriction for the ahl only so that players with chl rights dont get stolen for the ahl and the chl has no more stars

whats your point?

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 06:13 PM
  #4
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User
 
jkrdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 30,665
vCash: 500
The point of the entry level contract is so that teams don't pay a lot of money for a player who ends up busting.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 06:27 PM
  #5
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
1) if a player spends a year in juniors, the contract is extended one season (slide)

2) what does 1 year in each of those leagues have to do with anything

3) there is an age restriction for the ahl only so that players with chl rights dont get stolen for the ahl and the chl has no more stars
This. The AHL and 18 year old draftees have very little to do with each other. The entry level deal setup is fine. Don't see the issue.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 06:36 PM
  #6
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!
 
Sean Garrity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Nut
Country: United States
Posts: 9,417
vCash: 500
Not to hijack the thread, but why is there an age minimum for the AHL? I imagine it would be to protect the owners from having kids turn pro earlier so then they therefore can reach RFA and FA earlier.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 06:42 PM
  #7
CpatainCanuck
Registered User
 
CpatainCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
The point of the entry level contract is so that teams don't pay a lot of money for a player who ends up busting.
The entry level contract actually might help many young stars make the roster in their first year or two. Only a small handful of rookies every year put up points. The rest make their team on the 3rd or 4th line, something they probably wouldn't do if they had big contracts.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 06:43 PM
  #8
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy View Post
Ideally, I am aware that the main purpose behind the 3 year entry level deal on a drafted player is to have him spend 1 year in Juniors after being drafted, 1 year in the AHL, and 1 year in the NHL. However with the upsurge of young talent that is the post-lockout NHL and guys like Fowler, Skinner, and Burmistrov who are too good for Juniors but can get into the AHL because of their age restriction. Do you guys think that this AHL restriction is killing the idea behind the Entry Level Deal? What can be done?
It's not an AHL age restriction. It's an agreement between the CHL and NHL. Players drafted out the CHL are subject to the rule. All others are not.

And no, the rule has nothing to do with entry level contracts. If the player goes back to juniors, his contract doesn't even count against the 50 max. If a player plays in the AHL at 19 (Anisimov, Grachev) his ELC will slide 1 year.

The only players that are hurt by the rule are the rare few that are too good for juniors but not good enough for the NHL. Fowler, Skinner and Burmistrov all made the NHL. Trust me when I say that they didn't keep them up simply because they were "too good" for juniors. They aren't going to waste a year of their ELC if the player isn't ready. It's as simple as that.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 06:47 PM
  #9
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,224
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but why is there an age minimum for the AHL? I imagine it would be to protect the owners from having kids turn pro earlier so then they therefore can reach RFA and FA earlier.
There isn't an age restriction for the AHL per say.

The CHL and NHL have an agreement that a player drafted out of the CHL can only play in the NHL or CHL until the age of 20 (or four seasons of CHL service).

The CHL (the NHL's biggest development league), would obviously want this in place to keep the talent in their league as long as possible.

That said, I proposed a fictional amendment to the rule earlier this year, referencing Schenn as an example.

Quote:
Many will point to a Brayden Schenn or Windsor Spitfires defenseman Ryan Ellis and ask what is left for each to accomplish at the junior level, and question if their development wouldnít be better served playing against men in the minors. Itís a very valid point, but one that comes down to the simple fact that without the current arrangement between the CHL and NHL in place, it would cost Major Junior some major dollars.

Is it time for the NHL to push for an amendment?

Sure, there isnít a way to quantify how much Schenn or Ellis is worth to the Saskatoon Blades and the WHL or the Windsor Spitfires and the Ontario Hockey League respectively. Certainly both names draw a lot of interest in fans and in turn, generate ticket sales. The two are franchise cornerstones.
http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wor...chl-agreement/

__________________
Get your copy of FC's 2014 NHL DRAFT GUIDE now!
Don't forget to pick up FC's 2014 Newsletter series too!
Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:42 PM
  #10
leoleo3535
Registered User
 
leoleo3535's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hockey rinks
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
The AHL age restriction (minimum) is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of the playing season.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:47 PM
  #11
JUMBOcanuck
Registered User
 
JUMBOcanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 727
vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoleo3535 View Post
The AHL age restriction (minimum) is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of the playing season.
unless the player has CHL rights, then he has to wait till he's 20 (unless coming from college or europe)

JUMBOcanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.