HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

'Bad Contract' Vets...any interest?

Old
05-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Pengo

vCash: 500
Antropov would be an upgrade over Connolly simply because he's not Tim Connolly and has never played for the Sabres.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:23 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMiller View Post
What if Regier and Pegula can't land a better option at Center(Richards, Stastny, Spezza, Carter, or Malkin)? Who's potentially out there that can make an impact and could come cheap. Nik has size we sorely lack down the middle and uses his size well. He was missused in Atlanta and looks like he will be finally healthy come time October and would be a viable addition that could come cheap without braking the bank. I'd use Connolly's money on Antropov which is just upwards of four million($4,062,500 to be exact) instead of bringing back Tim personally and would pass on Laich as well as a team like Toronto is going to throw ridiculous money at him think around five million dollars for a fringe second line Center.

What i'm trying to say is heck I want that that number one/1B type Center and really want Brad Richards or Malkin in a Sabre sweater as well but if management is unable to pull the trigger this summer and get us one of those guys I am okay going another route going with Nik Antropov until we find a better long term solution.
This. It is entirely within the realm of possibility that (through no fault of Regier) none of those guys become Sabres. Richards signs elsewhere, Colorado/Ottawa choose to keep their #1 centers, Philadelphia trades Carter elsewhere (maybe out of conference), and Pittsburgh is smart enough to keep Malkin (seriously, they won a cup with him and Crosby, and without them were still top 4 in the East, I have no idea why they would consider trading him right now).

What's the fall-back plan? Tim Connolly? Using a winger at center (Hecht, Boyes, or signing Laich)?

Antropov wouldn't be a long-term measure, but we need a #2 center behind Roy if we can't get a #1 ahead of him. And until we develop that guy from within the prospect ranks, we're gonna need to do with these stopgap guys.

Another guy on the list who I didn't see at first who's intriguing is Bouchard. Granted his injury history, it would be risky, but he's a young guy who still has potential. Though I'm not entirely sure why Minnesota would want to dump him. I could see sticking him next to Pominville working really well actually (assuming he stays healthy).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:59 PM
iMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
He's an upgrade on who exactly? Roy? Uh....No. Gaustad? Offensively, yes, although not by all that much this past season (10 pts.). Physically? No. For all his size Antropov only managed 62 hits to Gaustad's 128. I assume everyone is looking to "upgrade" over Connolly. Antropov is not an upgrade over Connolly.

Antropov is bigger, yes. AT 6'6" 240 pounds his 62 hits were only 38 more than 6'1" 191 lbs. Connolly (4 hits in 6 playoff games, BTW). An average of one extra hit every other game. Offensively everyone is excited about Antropov's numbers two seasons ago when he had 67 pts. in 76 games. That same year Connolly had 65 pts. in 73 games. Every season prior to that Connolly was superior in points per game.
I don't have any statistics to back it up, but I would guess Connolly is also a more stout PKer as well.

I understand so many are looking for change and have strong opinions against Connolly, but certainly don't expect Antropov to be an upgrade.
I find him more of an upgrade than Connolly personally. You have to remember Antropov was playing through a hip injury all of last year as well so you would have to think his point totals took a hit because of it as well as his hit totals.

Nik isn't afraid to get to the dirty areas of the ice a vital part to a Center you need to get your goal scorers the puck and to be honest it wasn't seen much from Connolly. Tim in my perspective is a better passer but was hardly seen going to the dirty areas of the ice to get guys the puck. Nik could potentially be a threat on the PP as well as he would create space for Vanek potentially as he would be more of a net presence leaving room for Vanek to work his magic.

Connolly's time here in my perspective is over, I think management realizes we need a change because we just aren't getting it done with him here and should be exploring options elsewhere at this time.

iMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Digable5

If we're talking about Connolly, I certainly don't want to give someone an injury excuse. Connolly is ever fighting through injuries.

Offensively, Antropov has never outperformed Connolly. Connolly, IMO, is a far superior PKer. People think Connolly is overpaid for his production but you want to put $4M for someone to dig pucks out of the corners that won't help the PK and won't be any more productive?

I think Vanek is one of the most dangerous player in front of the net. If anything, I'd want to add a player to take advantage of that and not someone inferior to replace him.

You may say we didn't get it done with him, but that could be said for everyone on the roster. Two years in a row Miller was in net as we gave up leads in the playoffs. It must be time for him to go? I'd also argue that, from what I saw, we did a far worse job "getting it done" when Connolly got injured.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 03:15 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Antropov would be an upgrade over Connolly simply because he's not Tim Connolly and has never played for the Sabres.
This was my first thought, however I bet it would turn out to be a lateral move at best. Both players leave alot to be desired and both players never have lived up to thier potential "consistently" .. I'll pass for now but if hes the last option then so be it ..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
This. It is entirely within the realm of possibility that (through no fault of Regier) none of those guys become Sabres. Richards signs elsewhere, Colorado/Ottawa choose to keep their #1 centers, Philadelphia trades Carter elsewhere (maybe out of conference), and Pittsburgh is smart enough to keep Malkin (seriously, they won a cup with him and Crosby, and without them were still top 4 in the East, I have no idea why they would consider trading him right now).

What's the fall-back plan? Tim Connolly? Using a winger at center (Hecht, Boyes, or signing Laich)?
Trading for Pavelski, of course....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote