HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Matteau, Matteau, Matteau!!!!!

Old
05-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Mugless

vCash: 500
Matteau, Matteau, Matteau!!!!!

17 years ago today. "One more hill to climb baby!!!!!"

http://www.sportsvideodaily.com/wp/

Mugless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment

This moment was matched up against Patrick Kane's OT winner last year in that History v History thing on NHL.com, have a guess who won...

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Such a long time ago I was almost 2 lmao

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:56 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy3413 View Post
This moment was matched up against Patrick Kane's OT winner last year in that History v History thing on NHL.com, have a guess who won...

Oh well. Most of the people who voted probably didn't even know we won the cup in 94.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

This was the greatest hockey game I ever attended in person in my life. (I was not at SCF game 7...)

But still, this game was unbelievable. I was in tears at the end. I loved the anecdote from Trautwig about how he heard a woman tell him that the Matteau game was the first game she ever went to.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:49 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

17 years to the day. Friday May 27. The greatest game I have ever attended including game 7 of the Cup finals. The Rangers had a 3-1 lead in game 7 against Van. Marty had a problem with wraparounds moving right to left. Adam Graves got him again in game 5 in 1997. You saw Matteau pick up the puck. Matteau wraparound and you see the puck in the net.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:51 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

Oh well. Most of the people who voted probably didn't even know we won the cup in 94.
Most of the people who voted probably didn't know the sport of hockey existed 5 years ago.

I remember when the United Center was constantly empty and they had a hard time finding a local channel to show their games. Now....

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:51 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I can't even begin to fathom how amazing it would've been to actually be at the Garden. I'd probably be reduced to tears from the sheer greatness.

Old
05-27-2011, 02:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
Most of the people who voted probably didn't know the sport of hockey existed 5 years ago.

I remember when the United Center was constantly empty and they had a hard time finding a local channel to show their games. Now....
Well, that was due to "Dollar" Bill Wirtz raising ticket prices to exorbitant levels, and refusing to allow games to be broadcast locally. The AHL Chicago Wolves ended up with a full TV deal, great attendance numbers and even the 'Hawks lifelong play-by-play guy as a result. The thirst for hockey never died in Chicago, just the tolerance for unarguably the worst owner in sports.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:16 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well, that was due to "Dollar" Bill Wirtz raising ticket prices to exorbitant levels, and refusing to allow games to be broadcast locally. The AHL Chicago Wolves ended up with a full TV deal, great attendance numbers and even the 'Hawks lifelong play-by-play guy as a result. The thirst for hockey never died in Chicago, just the tolerance for unarguably the worst owner in sports.
The season before the Hawks won the Cup, my friend, who was born and raised in Chicago, told me the Hawks were going to win the Cup that season.

The reason? Because they won it in '34, '38, and '61.

Much like I don't buy it that Penguin fans had reasons for not attending/watching games, the same I hold for every Hawk fan. For a while, the Bulls were Chicago's team and the Hawks were nothing more than that other team that played that other sport.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:35 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
The season before the Hawks won the Cup, my friend, who was born and raised in Chicago, told me the Hawks were going to win the Cup that season.

Much like I don't buy it that Penguin fans had reasons for not attending/watching games, the same I hold for every Hawk fan. For a while, the Bulls were Chicago's team and the Hawks were nothing more than that other team that played that other sport.
Am I thinking too much or missing something about the reason?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

1994 was a long time ago. The memory will never go away, but it stings sometimes too given the amount of horrific hockey the organization has played since then. And it will continue to sting until the Rangers make the finals again.

And let's just twist the knife a little deeper--Vancouver is in the finals...

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Giacomin

That Spring was wild between the Rangers,Knicks and O.J. Simpson for sports fans. On the 27th I was at the now closed O.B.I. in Oak Beach Long Island on the water. It was a Friday Night and very warm out and the place had probably 1000 people inside. All the T.V.s had the game on with no sound and as the 3rd period wound down people were celebrating. When Zelepukin scored in the last few seconds everyone was in shock. For what seemed like forever the place got quiet and nobody went onto the dance floor until Matteau scored and the place went wild. The next 3 weeks NYC was crazy!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I turned two that day...

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 04:24 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
you know, the Matteau goal was rather fluky and Kane's goal won a Stanley Cup. Don't hate. Congratulate.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 04:33 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

I mean, the games weren't televised locally. At all. The owner wouldn't allow it. At the same time, he was charging the highest ticket prices in the league for a team that missed the playoffs every year. Do you not see the problem there? Chicago had legitimate issues. As I said, the Chicago Wolves became one of the premiere AHL franchises out there, because Hawks fans started going to Wolves games instead. Hell, they could even watch the Wolves on TV!

"The other team that plays that other sport" is a phenomenon seen in countless cities. You could make the argument that it was and is true for us, as well. Knicks/Yankees town, and we're just the other team.

Old
05-27-2011, 05:08 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
you know, the Matteau goal was rather fluky and Kane's goal won a Stanley Cup. Don't hate. Congratulate.
You know Kane's goal came against a terrible goalie and was just as fluky as Matteau's was? He did it against a HOF net-minder in 2OT. It should have won. In an historical context, that game was MUCH better than the game last year.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment

Quote:
It's not the quality of the goal that matters, its the feeling afterwards and what it represents, and the epicness of the moment, Kane's goal was not epic at all, it was more like "wtf just happened?" It's hardly a historical moment as it will be forgotten about in a few years time, whereas Howie Rose's screams of "Matteau!!" will always be one of the greatest calls in all of hockey, and a moment many people will never forget

Old
05-27-2011, 05:30 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Kane's goal wasn't in game 7 of a series against a rival where the Rangers were trying to get to the SCF to end a 54 year drought after letting in the game tying goal with 7.7 seconds left. Don't get me wrong, it was a great moment but the Matteau goal was an amazing moment that is topped by few in the history of the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I mean, the games weren't televised locally. At all. The owner wouldn't allow it. At the same time, he was charging the highest ticket prices in the league for a team that missed the playoffs every year. Do you not see the problem there? Chicago had legitimate issues. As I said, the Chicago Wolves became one of the premiere AHL franchises out there, because Hawks fans started going to Wolves games instead. Hell, they could even watch the Wolves on TV!

"The other team that plays that other sport" is a phenomenon seen in countless cities. You could make the argument that it was and is true for us, as well. Knicks/Yankees town, and we're just the other team.
Exactly. It's the same reason why I can't get on Isles fans for not going to the Coliseum all these years. It's one thing to go through a bad stretch or time of hockey, it's another to have completely inept management and ownership. I can't blame the Hawks fans at all for not showing up, what was going on with the team under Wirtz was disgraceful.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 05:45 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I just really hate bandwagoners. Call me bitter, but rooting for some sub-par teams (past the Giants awesome run to SB42) has made me despise people who just follow the flavor of the year team.

Old
05-27-2011, 05:49 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I just really hate bandwagoners. Call me bitter, but rooting for some sub-par teams (past the Giants awesome run to SB42) has made me despise people who just follow the flavor of the year team.
I hate bandwagoners with a passion too but it happens with every team in every city. I mean, just look at the Yankees. Back in 86 when the Mets won, the Mets were the toast of the town while Yankee Stadium was half empty on nights. Now we have the exact opposite. There will always be front runners out there. I just take solace in the fact that when one of my teams win (which will be never but I can dream) I'll enjoy it more than any of the bandwagoners have enjoyed there's combined.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 05:52 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Yeah, that's what I say too. I can look back at Matteau and the 94 cup run and feel proud even if I was too young to really savor most of it back then. Bandwagoners can't truly do that. Still though, it bothers me having to deal with frontrunners on a daily basis when my teams are well...my teams.

Old
05-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment

You can't truly feel the pain and annoyance of bandwagon fans unless you're from England, when I started playing hockey about 5 years ago, we would scrimmage and it would be "whoever is wearing red on this team" because so many wore Detroit Jerseys, now it's all Pittsburgh Jerseys. Its the same in soccer, I was bullied as a kid because I supported a mid-table team, not Manchester United

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I'll enjoy it more than any of the bandwagoners have enjoyed there's combined.
Believe me, that is completely true, it is much more satisfying

Old
05-27-2011, 09:50 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yeah, I'm a bandwagon Knicks fan. It's really just because I don't care about pro basketball. When the Knicks suck (the past decade...), I don't really follow them that closely. The next time they win a championship, I'll enjoy it, but not even close to the degree that I'd enjoy a Rangers/Mets/Jets championship.

Old
05-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Funny. I consider that goal last year to be the most anti-climactic cup winner in the history of cups. No one knew it went in. On the road. No one except the players seemed to care.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote