HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patches wants Gomez next year

Old
05-17-2011, 08:41 PM
macavoy

vCash: 500
Patches wants Gomez next year

He said they had good chemistry, was the reason for some of his success and with Gio, they had amazing chemistry.

More importantly, it was an awesome interview.

I am loving this kid, he is our future, he has such a good head on his shoulders. Respect all around, he handled all of Marino's questions perfectly, nothing but respect for this kid.

http://www.team990.com/sound_bytes/v...audio_clips/1/

It was a 17 minute clip and it was well worth it. I even rewound it a few times.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:54 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I enjoy the host calling Edwards an idiot.

We should trade him, he bought a house in Connecticut, obviously a Whalers fan.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post

Maybe the Habs should move to Hartford ?

Zaide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:58 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
Maybe the Habs should move to Hartford ?
He later said in it he wanted to play his entire career here and the host and he joked he would sign a 5 year extension right now.

Old
05-17-2011, 08:59 PM
macavoy

Quote:
I don't think anyone enjoyed it more than Patches. He started the interview discounting NESN, saying he never watches it, then when Marino brought it up, he was all polite, then I loved how the host called him an idiot for him, then I loved patches saying " thank you" to the host for calling him an idiot on his behalf.

Old
05-17-2011, 09:00 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 200
Quote:

i think that was one of the best parts

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Ginu

He's right. We have to complement our young guys with veterans who, unfortunately, sometimes make more than they should be.

This year we saw the emergence of Price, Subban and Pacioretty simultaneously. When was the last time we had that? Add Eller, Desharnais, White and Weber (he played well when he got a chance), and now Diaz (better than Streit at the same age) and Emelin (who should be a top 4 D man by all accounts), we have a young core of players that are really exciting.

Plus we can add Gorges, Cammalleri and Plekanec to that group, not to mention Captain Gionta and hopefully Wisniewski. So this group is very solid going forward and we need veterans like Gomez, Moen and Gill to round out the group. Sometimes you have to pay over-the-odds for these veterans to get them to come to Montreal, taxes and all.

But look at this group going forward:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - x
Pacioretty - Eller - Gionta
Desharnais - x - White
x - x - x

Wisniewski - Subban
Markov - Emelin
x - Gorges
Diaz, Weber (I don't know where they go lol)

Price

That's a very solid group going forward with a lot of skill. If we can find the right role players and bring up some more rookies that will do as well as these guys have, we'll be good for the Cup in 2-4 years. But you need those veterans and Gomez is one of them.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Peace

Did he say he would come back 100% next season?

Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:05 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Yes, said that he was already back to full, and that he was training for the last few weeks

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:06 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Yes, said he was getting bigger right now too so he can be stronger and even faster next year.

Old
05-17-2011, 09:06 PM
macavoy

Actually I forgot, it wasn't Patches that was pimping Gomez earlier, it was David D, Gomez sucked this year but at least he made a real impact upon our youth.

I don't care about his cap hit, I don't care if he isn't a hero like Saku, he brings leadership and teaches the kids how to win.

I'll take winning everyday over the Saku vs Kovalev BS of the past. I want heart and even though Gomez had no heart last year, he has taught our kids heart. Look at how close Price and PK are, they learnt that from Gomer and Gio last year with Cammy being the middle man.

Old
05-17-2011, 10:12 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Yup. He just needs to control himself a little more when making fun of Brad Pinocchio. Oh yea, I read the bit about Desharnais saying how Gomer passed him bad pucks ON PURPOSE and he told him "these bad passes will make you a better player."

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 12:56 AM
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Actually I forgot, it wasn't Patches that was pimping Gomez earlier, it was David D, Gomez sucked this year but at least he made a real impact upon our youth.

I don't care about his cap hit, I don't care if he isn't a hero like Saku, he brings leadership and teaches the kids how to win.

I'll take winning everyday over the Saku vs Kovalev BS of the past. I want heart and even though Gomez had no heart last year, he has taught our kids heart. Look at how close Price and PK are, they learnt that from Gomer and Gio last year with Cammy being the middle man.
my thoughts exactly.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:37 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Maybe someone should ask him if he would like playing with someone better?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:51 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Damn, that concussion must be really bad.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 05-18-2011 at 07:03 AM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:57 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

Did we win something that I wasn't made aware of?

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:01 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Damn, that concussion must be really bad.

I half expected the thread to read ' Patches wants Gomez.... To get the **** out *troll face*'

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:06 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Did we win something that I wasn't made aware of?
Yea we won the JM won a reprieve for 2 years award for riding a hot goalie to save his job.

Honestly though, we may not have won **** but I believe that Price and PK are winners and they will deliver us the goods. A cup is in our future.

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe.
Dalai Lama

Old
05-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Not a real big surprise. That whole line, Gionta included, worked very well together and was probably the only stretch of time where Gomez didn't look so bad. I think the three of them compliment each other nicely and become a threat once they've established puck possesion in the offensive zone.

Really glad to hear Patches is at 100%, although it must've been a while now, since he was reportedly ready to go if the Habs had advanced to the next round.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

Saku spearheaded the underdog teams that upset the heavily favored Bruins in 2002 and 2004, outplayed Joe Thornton, and didn't have -3 or -4 ratings in games against them. He and Kovalev utterly destroyed the Bruins in 2004, racking up impressive numbers of points, including something foreign to Gomez: GOALS.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:41 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Saku spearheaded the underdog teams that upset the heavily favored Bruins in 2002 and 2004, outplayed Joe Thornton, and didn't have -3 or -4 ratings in games against them. He and Kovalev utterly destroyed the Bruins in 2004, racking up impressive numbers of points, including something foreign to Gomez: GOALS.
Thanks for educating me, I would have never know that if you didn't tell me There is a reason Saku is a hero in this town. I've said that many times but I believe this team will win a cup with a core that was taught by Gomez, its just what I believe. There is no doubt in my mind that Saku is 10 times the player and person than Gomez is, I don't deny that, I just don't think Saku is a winner, in terms of Stanley Cups, its my personal belief, I dont demand others to share my thoughts or beliefs, its just my hope ... why because I want a cup and I think PK and Price can deliver it.

Saku didn't, for me, it is that simple.

Old
05-18-2011, 09:02 AM
neofury*

I love Saku, but I'm in the camp that feels him re-signing would have held us back from moving in the right direction. I'm not saying keeping him would be worse than having Gomez, but at the time it seemed possible we'd be landing a star caliber #2 center who is a bit overpaid but shows up in the playoffs. Basically an overpaid Koivu who is better in some areas but lacks that game breaking heart. This is something Koivu definitely had, he could throw a team on his back!

Remember all the horrible teams we somehow scraped together wins with?

Quote:
Thanks for educating me, I would have never know that if you didn't tell me There is a reason Saku is a hero in this town. I've said that many times but I believe this team will win a cup with a core that was taught by Gomez, its just what I believe. There is no doubt in my mind that Saku is 10 times the player and person than Gomez is, I don't deny that, I just don't think Saku is a winner, in terms of Stanley Cups, its my personal belief, I dont demand others to share my thoughts or beliefs, its just my hope ... why because I want a cup and I think PK and Price can deliver it.

I wouldn't go as far as saying Saku isn't a winner, reason being for 90% of his career he was actually held back by a terrible franchise which he was loyal to. Can blame him for caring about Montreal and being dumb enough to stay, but our lack of winning never had a thing to do with Koivu. Had our management put together a competent team for him he'd be even more highly regarded in Montreal because people would've been able to see how dangerous Koivu was in his prime with real tools to show it. The guy made Chris Higgins look like a superstar in the making. He has a knack for playing well aside less than favorable wingers. I have to give him credit it where it's due. He's actually a born winner imo, but it's a team sport sadly.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:06 AM
coolasprICE

Patches is young and impressionable, he'll grow up eventually

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:

Your post sounds more like wishful thinking than actual opinion.

I know that because you tell the reader how unsure you are about 5 times : "I believe, it's my personal belief, it's just my hope, I don't ask you to believe too". It just sounds like you're trying to convince yourself of something that's not there.

Have the courage of your opinions whether they are positive or negative. Ignoring reality because it's harsh doesn't make it go away. Gomez is not any more of a winner than Koivu. The devils had a stanley cup winning cast before he got there, and he was merely a supporting character, and not a very good one for at least his first cup. Swap Koivu and Gomez and Koivu is winning cups left and right while Gomez is vilified for being gutless and horrible. The habs would also have been without a captain. Gomez teaching our young players how not to show up for half the season, then the 2nd half, and then the playoffs is the last thing I want to see.

There really is no point in saying Koivu wasn't a winner and saying Gomez is because it's not true. The team Gomez has right now is a million times better than any team Koivu had with the exception of the 1st in the east cast, but that year Gainey screwed it up by putting all his eggs in one basket with Price and so Biron outplayed a rookie in round 2 and that was all she wrote.

Poor Koivu, victim of terrible management decisions since forever.

But you know, carry on with the excuse train for Gomez. It's funny how Gomez is getting so much rope for sucking whereas Koivu wasn't given any for playing with twice the effort, courage, determination and heart with half the tools, and with sucky teams around him. Sometimes I just don't get how people think.

It's just something I believe.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:22 AM
macavoy

ech,

I don't think Saku is a victim of bad management, nor do I think Gomez is lucky for being drafted a devil. I believe that everybody has a chose and that Saku made bad choices choosing to stick by the bad management and Gomez wanted to be a winner. Why else would Gomez come to Montreal instead of NY.

Thats just what I believe. I don't believe in making excuses, I don't make excuses for Gomez, he sucks but I accept his positives just like I accept the traits that walked away with Saku.