HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

WCF: (1) Vancouver Canucks vs. (2) San Jose Sharks Part III

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2011, 02:31 PM
GCM
Stork

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
I am not claiming superiority after 1 game. I am wondering how the Sharks can skate "faster"? And I am not saying this as a diss... they are not a fast skating team. They are a big team that uses their body, but their average Defense is being exposed.

That is not claiming superiority. That is a fact. I don't know if the Sharks have that much more to give.
No offense but you act as though our speed/physicality advantage is great.

I think it's just barely better. Game 1 was a close game. They were leading for much of it.

We're hardly holding the advantage if we had to pull off a comeback to win that game.

The play wasn't THAT dominating in our favor.

Old
05-18-2011, 02:34 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Yep. What we're seeing is a lot of Canucks fans flying a little too high. If the Sharks take two in a row I'm sure we'll see many of the same posters wanting to string up the coach, trade the Sedins for Marian Gaborik and Mike Cammalleri, trade Luongo for anyone, etc.

Old
05-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Arrch

Quote:
I am not claiming superiority after 1 game. I am wondering how the Sharks can skate "faster"? And I am not saying this as a diss... they are not a fast skating team. They are a big team that uses their body, but their average Defense is being exposed.

That is not claiming superiority. That is a fact. I don't know if the Sharks have that much more to give.
Our defense is exposed when our forwards stop skating, leaving our defense out to dry. We're not being outmatched (yet), we're being outefforted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Yep. What we're seeing is a lot of Canucks fans flying a little too high. If the Sharks take two in a row I'm sure we'll see many of the same posters wanting to string up the coach, trade the Sedins for Marian Gaborik and Mike Cammalleri, trade Luongo for anyone, etc.
'Tis the life of a sports fan; We were tying the noose for Marlaeu until he played well in game 7.

Old
05-18-2011, 02:44 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
You have the solution. Brilliant!
Not just brilliant, but simple. So simple that it's just too obvious to point out. But i did anyway.

PS. All Boston did in their game 2 was add more speed.

Old
05-18-2011, 02:46 PM
arshonagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
No offense but you act as though our speed/physicality advantage is great.

I think it's just barely better. Game 1 was a close game. They were leading for much of it.

We're hardly holding the advantage if we had to pull off a comeback to win that game.

The play wasn't THAT dominating in our favor.
I think you are missing the point. Even if you were "out-efforted" there is only so fast the Sharks players can skate and only so fast the Canucks players can skate. Only difference is that the top speed of the Canucks players is on average faster than the top speed of the Sharks players. That is all that is being said and the poster thinks that will be an ultimate advantage in the Canucks potentially beating the Sharks.

It is not to say that the Canucks clearly outplayed the Sharks, it is that the team speed gives them an advantage that the Sharks can't match. To say the Canucks don't ahve an advantage in speed is ridiculous, it is clear the Canucks hold this advantage (as the Sharks have other advantages that could lead them to winning this series, like their size and puck control down low).

Old
05-18-2011, 02:54 PM
elriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Not just brilliant, but simple. So simple that it's just too obvious to point out. But i did anyway.

PS. All Boston did in their game 2 was add more speed.
The problem is that the Canucks can get faster as well by adding Tambo back in. I think the Sharks have a greater speed weakness on the defensive side.

Old
05-18-2011, 02:56 PM
wreckless

i'm typically not a big fan of small guys in the post season at all. that said, tambo will finish checks unlike glass the last 4 games

Old
05-18-2011, 02:59 PM
wetcoastwhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlendIcier View Post
lol, right after my post talking about how I'm trying to be above it all I read

In my informal list, those are two of the not so good refs in the NHL's pool of officials. I keep a mental note of unusual games from a Canucks' perspective, and see if other fans complain about the same refs.

I expect a lot of penalties, we'll see what happens
I thought someone on the Sharks board had some exhaustive list of officials with a ranking on athleticism/decision-making etc (might ahve been a couple of years ago). Perhaps said individual can impart some insight into the officials tonight.

Old
05-18-2011, 03:42 PM
ramstoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcoastwhale View Post
I thought someone on the Sharks board had some exhaustive list of officials with a ranking on athleticism/decision-making etc (might ahve been a couple of years ago). Perhaps said individual can impart some insight into the officials tonight.
this is the post for tonights game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Refs
Dan "The Irishman" O'Halloran #13
Tim "Banana" Peel #20

O'Halloran is senior. O'Halloran is a very good skater, Peel average. Expect a moderate call level. IIRC, first time Peel has reffed a conference finals game.

O'Halloran Theme

Peel Theme

theres a link out there somewhere to the list of all officials. edit: here. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=836402

Old
05-18-2011, 03:47 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramstoria View Post
this is the post for tonights game...

theres a link out there somewhere to the list of all officials.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=836402

Here's SJeasy's thread you're referring to

Old
05-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by elriz View Post
The problem is that the Canucks can get faster as well by adding Tambo back in. I think the Sharks have a greater speed weakness on the defensive side.
And sliding Demers in there rather than Huskins, provided that he's healthy, would help in that regard immensely as well as the puck moving department.

Old
05-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
I will say this for the Sharks... When the Cnaucks lost game 1 in OT to the Leafs, Linden said after the game that they only lost in OT by a goal (I know Duh) but he went on to say they can get better.

Now if it is assumed the Sharks can be better, and I can definitely concede that, then it does bode well for the Sharks in this series.

I still think tonight is a must win for the Sharks, cause winning 4 of 6 is a very hard thing to do.

Old
05-18-2011, 04:46 PM
The Architect
When weasels fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshonagon View Post
I think you are missing the point. Even if you were "out-efforted" there is only so fast the Sharks players can skate and only so fast the Canucks players can skate. Only difference is that the top speed of the Canucks players is on average faster than the top speed of the Sharks players. That is all that is being said and the poster thinks that will be an ultimate advantage in the Canucks potentially beating the Sharks.

It is not to say that the Canucks clearly outplayed the Sharks, it is that the team speed gives them an advantage that the Sharks can't match. To say the Canucks don't ahve an advantage in speed is ridiculous, it is clear the Canucks hold this advantage (as the Sharks have other advantages that could lead them to winning this series, like their size and puck control down low).
While speed is most definitely important in today's NHL (one of the more important team aspects), there is a way around it - passing. See Detroit. They aren't particularly fast. In fact, they are somewhat slow. However, they pass better than any other team in the NHL, and the Sharks are one of the few teams that can pass that well when they are on.

Look to that as the solution to the Speed difference.

Old
05-18-2011, 04:50 PM
elriz

Quote:
I still think tonight is a must win for the Sharks
i think that is overdramatic

Old
05-18-2011, 05:13 PM
ronnyweed

Samuelson done for the season?

not sure if that is good or bad lol

Old
05-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
i think that is overdramatic
I don't. Sharks go down 2-0 they have to win 4 of next 5. Win this game and they have to go 3-2. Big big difference, so again this is a must win for the Sharks, IMO.

Old
05-18-2011, 05:26 PM
PattyLafontaine

Some bizarre conclusions are being drawn in this thread, namely this idea that the Canucks dominated Game 1.

The Sharks didn't capitalize on two prime scoring chances Thornton shooting at an empty net and the puck glacing of a D-man and Pavelski with the same scenario and this was when the Score was 2-1 in favor of San Jose

The Canucks were able to dial it up in the late second and third period and the Sharks couldn't respond.

However, the Canucks were looking rather pedestrian for about the first 35 minutes.

It's possible that San Jose can't match up with the Canucks but you're basing that solely on what you saw Game 1 I don't see how you can come to the conclusion.

Old
05-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Rem
go flames go bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyLafontaine View Post
Some bizarre conclusions are being drawn in this thread, namely this idea that the Canucks dominated Game 1.

The Sharks didn't capitalize on two prime scoring chances Thornton shooting at an empty net and the puck glacing of a D-man and Pavelski with the same scenario and this was when the Score was 2-1 in favor of San Jose

The Canucks were able to dial it up in the late second and third period and the Sharks couldn't respond.

However, the Canucks were looking rather pedestrian for about the first 35 minutes.

It's possible that San Jose can't match up with the Canucks but you're basing that solely on what you saw Game 1 I don't see how you can come to the conclusion.
well said.

Old
05-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Johnny LaRue

I think anyone who is counting the Sharks out of this series because of a close game 1 is crazy. These are both great teams who battled well in the first game.

If the Canucks win tonight, it doesn't mean the equation changes drastically either. Jumbo Joe has finally come to play, and when he actually tries (rare in the playoffs), he is most dangerous.

Old
05-18-2011, 05:48 PM
elriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyLafontaine View Post

the Sharks have won a single game versus the Canucks this year in 5 tries. the win came in a shootout.

i don't agree with the reasoning (every game except 1 was close) and i think the Sharks are a capable team, but i don't think that conclusion is altogether crazy.

Old
05-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post

well, it seems like less of a hit since he was clearly playing injured.

But if healthy, he's one more scoring threat. Worthwhile to remember his huge playoffs last year.

Old
05-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Hammman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post

If it was last year's Samuelsson it'd be a much bigger blow; he's been struggling for months now, it feels like, so it's not much of a loss at this point.

Old
05-18-2011, 05:58 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammman View Post
If it was last year's Samuelsson it'd be a much bigger blow; he's been struggling for months now, it feels like, so it's not much of a loss at this point.
he's been injured for months.

Old
05-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Rem
go flames go bolts

Quote:
the Sharks have won a single game versus the Canucks this year in 5 tries. the win came in a shootout.

i don't agree with the reasoning (every game except 1 was close) and i think the Sharks are a capable team, but i don't think that conclusion is altogether crazy.
cuz we all know the regular season really matters. Fantastic observation. It wouldn't be crazy to assume you win the series when you're up 3-0. Then again, we figured it was over with Detroit and well know how that ended up.

Old
05-18-2011, 06:12 PM
The Architect
When weasels fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
cuz we all know the regular season really matters. Fantastic observation. It wouldn't be crazy to assume you win the series when you're up 3-0. Then again, we figured it was over with Detroit and well know how that ended up.
Or Chicago with Vancouver - Sharp elavates his PP opportunity in OT and we could all be singing a different tune.

Closed Thread