HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Day Deal... Would you make this?

Old
05-18-2011, 02:10 AM
Pyke*

vCash: 500
Draft Day Deal... Would you make this?

I posted this on the Senators board. I'm curious what people on this board think about it. I have a feeling both fan bases won't like it, but I do think it makes sense for both teams.

Quote:
So, first, let me say I realize that there is a divided opinion on this board about who the best offensive prospect is in the draft. Since most scouting agencies have RNH #1, and he's the guy I like best , I'm going with him.

Let's say the following happens:

1. Edmonton, with it's 1st overall pick, drafts Larsson.

2. Colorado, wants a defenseman (this is well known).

3. Florida, is expected to want a Center.

Now, RNH is still on the board.... but Colorado wants a defenseman, but they might be willing to select Landeskog instead of trading down. In which case, Florida drafts RNH at #3.

Would you trade David Rundblad for the #2 overall pick [so we could draft RNH]?

I think, given the season Rundblad has had, it's fair to say he's arguably on par with Larsson - giving him up is a gamble of course. On the other hand, Cowen and Karlsson look set as our elite pair for the next decade - is Rundblad a critical part of that? I wouldn't be eager to give him up, but on the assumption "you have to give to get", I feel like it's a deal that could work for both franchises.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 02:37 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

No from me, and likely most Avs fans. The Avs don't draft by need, but by BPA - they may not even have Larsson as that. I'd be astonished if they traded the 2nd overall.

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 02:41 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Terrible.

It's pretty obvious why Avs fans won't like this deal but why wouldn't Sens fans like it? Avs get bent over. I'd much rather just take Landeskog or trade down for Hamilton. I would even reach for Hamilton at #2 instead of trading that pick for Rundblad.

IMO Rundblad is not on par with Larsson. Rundblad is better offensively but Larsson is a lot better defensively. Avs have enough offensive guys who struggle defensively. This deal definitely wouldn't work for the Avs.

Did you accidentally leave the 6th overall pick out of the proposal? You sure it's not supposed to be Rundblad and the 6th overall pick for the 2nd overall pick?

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 02:43 AM
PeterTheGreat

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

By the way, how do u figure its "well known" that the Avs want a dman?

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Terrible.

It's pretty obvious why Avs fans won't like this deal but why wouldn't Sens fans like it? Avs get bent over. I'd much rather just take Landeskog or trade down for Hamilton. I would even reach for Hamilton at #2 instead of trading that pick for Rundblad.

IMO Rundblad is not on par with Larsson. Rundblad is better offensively but Larsson is a lot better defensively. Avs have enough offensive guys who struggle defensively. This deal definitely wouldn't work for the Avs.

Did you accidentally leave the 6th overall pick out of the proposal? You sure it's not supposed to be Rundblad and the 6th overall pick for the 2nd overall pick?
Rundblad put up 50 points in the SEL as a 20 year old (it's never been done), and won best defenseman honours. He's not outstanding defensively at 20, but he's also 20, and has a 6'2-6'3 frame and projects to be an all around defender. In a year with no clear cut choice, he's much more of a certainty than some options.

The write up in the top 50 list (which has him at 5), says this:
Quote:
David Rundblad - D - Ottawa Senators
Height: 6-2, Weight: 198
Possibly the best hockey player currently not playing in North America, the puck-moving Rundblad plays for SEL powerhouse Skelleftea HC, a team coached by former Ottawa Senators scout, Anders Forsberg. Through 55 games, the 20-year-old posted 11 goals, 39 assists, and a plus-six while averaging over 22 minutes of ice time. For the Senators, Rundblad should be able to bring a steadying two-way presence from the blue line. He has enough skill to quarterback the power play but it is his high hockey IQ and his ability to transition the puck up ice that makes him a special prospect for the organization. He's already signed to an entry-level deal and should be expected to not only play in North America in 2011-12, but possibly transition directly to the NHL.
Btw - on the Sens forum, only 1 of the first 4 replies to the thread support the proposal from a Sens POV.

As a fan of both teams - I'm not at all impressed with Landeskog (and posted multiple times about this back when it was Landeskog or RNH threads on the Ottawa forums). Some people love him. I understand his potential appeal to Colorado, though, with Stewart gone and a shortage of elite wingers. Hamilton has seen his stock rise, but I'm pretty confident Rundblad > Hamilton.

Old
05-18-2011, 07:17 AM
CB Joe

No thanks. I don't think Rundblad is in the same class as the other prospects. St. Louis already gave up on him. I would rather draft RNH or Larsson then trade for Rundblad.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Avsboy

I wouldn't do it although it's tempting. #6 and Rundblad for #2 is fair value. Larsson will be the better defender if you ask me....but I'm not really an SEL expert

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:51 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Yikes.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 302
It wasn't #6 and Runblad for #2. It was Rundblad for #2.

And I would never do it. I'm not a big fan of Rundblad. I'd much rather have RNH/Landeskog on Avs.

Basically if Sens would want to move up to #2, I'd ask for #6 and Cowen. I'll throw in a 3rd rounder 2012. Steep price, but Avs have pretty much no reason to trade down to #6 and end up in the strata that just has a bunch of stuff they already have plenty of.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

Rundblad hasn't convinced me he's anything but a statistical anomaly. He's shown promise of late, but he's not the level of bargaining chip that lands the #2 overall by himself.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:17 AM
asmodeanreborn

No way Rundblad is worth #2, despite his stats. Long term, I'd still much rather take the chance on Larsson. There's a reason attention is still focused on Larsson rather than Rundblad despite the 50 points.

Now if it was Rundblad + the #6 pick, it could be considered, at least.

asmodeanreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Just draft RNH... and take a D at #11...

Siemens could be around then.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Just draft RNH... and take a D at #11...

Siemens could be around then.
Yeah if the oilers pass on RNH then it's a no brainer we take him despite having a lot of centers on the roster and hishon in the pipeline. We can always trade one away for someone we really want whenever we want if the oilers don't go with RNH.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Avsboy

I would never do Rundblad for #2 straight up. He's worth the #11 and even then he doesn't fit the organizational needs at the time.

The Sens fans that think Rundblad for #2 is a bad deal are delusional. Sherman would have to be going through a serious bout of brain trauma to go through with that. And Murray would **** himself for a chance to acquire the no. 2, especially when he got shafted by the lottery.

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Pyke*

This entire discussion was prefaced on the Oilers picking Larsson, so he's not a comparable. Even if you think Larsson is a better defender than Rundblad (which, many would disagree with given their performances, but of course Rundblad is two years older so that affects things too), there is little doubt that Rundblad is superior to nearly everyone available in this draft year. Barrie/Elliot are good puck moving d-men, but both are fairly undersized (Barrie is 5'10, Elliot is 6'0 to 6'1, depending on the source). Karlsson (as a point of comparison), is 6'0. Keith is too.

You definitely can be an elite defenseman at that size, but it's harder. Just food for thought, anyway.

Old
05-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
This entire discussion was prefaced on the Oilers picking Larsson, so he's not a comparable. Even if you think Larsson is a better defender than Rundblad (which, many would disagree with given their performances, but of course Rundblad is two years older so that affects things too), there is little doubt that Rundblad is superior to nearly everyone available in this draft year. Barrie/Elliot are good puck moving d-men, but both are fairly undersized (Barrie is 5'10, Elliot is 6'0 to 6'1, depending on the source). Karlsson (as a point of comparison), is 6'0. Keith is too.

You definitely can be an elite defenseman at that size, but it's harder. Just food for thought, anyway.
After seeing how Rundblad shrinks when facing any kind of forecheck, I'm not sure his height is all that important. Some guys simply don't like to be hit and Rundblad strikes me as one of those.

Haven't seen Elliot play so I won't comment, but I think Barrie looks better at handling the physical side of the game than Rundblad does. And if there is a difference in Rundblads favour, it certainly wouldn't motivate giving up the second overall pick.

I hope for Sens sake that Rundblad is able to adjust to NA hockey and thrive. Seems like a good guy. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him in KHL in three years time.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 01:32 PM
shadow1

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=908919

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

How is it well known Colorado wants defense. We just traded for a #1 defenseman in Johnson. Johnson, Quincey and O'Byrne are who I think will stick with the team long term, and with Elliot and Barrie coming up and Liles to fill in until they're NHL ready, I'd say we need wingers more than defense.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 03:48 PM
foppagirl21

How is it well known the Avs want defense? Yes, it is well known the Avs need improved defense from last season, but draft defense? OK. Granted, everyone on D was injured last season, so... yeah.

The Avs have been VERY tight lipped as to who/what they are going after this draft. Makes for an interesting draft day.

On topic, no, I wouldn't do said deal.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 05:55 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
This entire discussion was prefaced on the Oilers picking Larsson
Prefaced on that, and the assumption that the Avalanche will only pick a defenseman with their first pick, then the Avalanche would perhaps be best served trading down or taking Murphy. Murphy fits this organization to a tee.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:23 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
Prefaced on that, and the assumption that the Avalanche will only pick a defenseman with their first pick, then the Avalanche would perhaps be best served trading down or taking Murphy. Murphy fits this organization to a tee.
Indeed. I would rather have Murphy and pick up a 2nd rounder in this draft as well (maybe could even sneak in a 1st round pick).

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
How is it well known Colorado wants defense. We just traded for a #1 defenseman in Johnson. Johnson, Quincey and O'Byrne are who I think will stick with the team long term, and with Elliot and Barrie coming up and Liles to fill in until they're NHL ready, I'd say we need wingers more than defense.
I agree the team needs wingers, but I don't think O'Byrne is a long term solution. Elliot and Barrie are decent prospects, both had very good years, but it's likely only 1 of the 2 that develops and even then, neither is likely to be ready next season or even possibly the year after that. Defensemen tend to come into the league later than most positions.

I agree the team needs wingers as well, and while I would not be shocked to see the Avs pick Landeskog, I'd hate for that to happen (I think Lando is tremendously overrated)

Old
05-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Indeed. I would rather have Murphy and pick up a 2nd rounder in this draft as well (maybe could even sneak in a 1st round pick).
Really? Another 5'10 puck mover? They already have Barrie. Rundblad is 6'2 or 6'3.

I could understand Dougie Hamilton who is 6'4 and one of the risers in the draft...

Old
05-18-2011, 06:56 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
I agree the team needs wingers, but I don't think O'Byrne is a long term solution. Elliot and Barrie are decent prospects, both had very good years, but it's likely only 1 of the 2 that develops and even then, neither is likely to be ready next season or even possibly the year after that. Defensemen tend to come into the league later than most positions.

I agree the team needs wingers as well, and while I would not be shocked to see the Avs pick Landeskog, I'd hate for that to happen (I think Lando is tremendously overrated)
I'm going to disagree. I think both Barrie and Elliott will be NHL regulars. On top of that I think one may make the team this season, and both will be playing in the NHL the following season.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:13 PM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Elliot and Barrie are decent prospects, both had very good years, but it's likely only 1 of the 2 that develops and even then, neither is likely to be ready next season or even possibly the year after that. Defensemen tend to come into the league later than most positions.
Elliott and Barrie made Kevin Shattenkirk available to St. Louis via trade. Each is capable of pulling a Shattenkirk and having a great rookie season in the NHL next year. I would also not be surprised to see one of these guys traded within 3 years because they are very similar to one another (and to Shatty) in many ways.

niwotsblessing is offline   Reply With Quote