HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles A Year Later

Old
12-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Law

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
Isles A Year Later

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ying-1.3411224

Quote:
The 2010-11 Islanders had played 33 games and were 9-18-6. This season's Isles have played 33 games and are 11-16-6, a difference of only four points. The goal differential was minus-31 last season (76 for, 107 against); the goal differential is minus-31 right now (78 for, 109 against). The Isles are 18 points behind the Rangers, exactly the same margin as last season.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Bert Marshall days

Actually, the true mark of how much they suck and they suck more than last season is because of all the injuries last season. Even when healthy they suck. They sucked before the recent rash of injuries this season. Face it, they just suck.

Can I say suck anymore?

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Actually, the true mark of how much they suck and they suck more than last season is because of all the injuries last season. Even when healthy they suck. They sucked before the recent rash of injuries this season. Face it, they just suck.

Can I say suck anymore?
But we're not getting blown out, Garth doesn't have any restrictions, and elves made the toys that Santa delivered yesterday.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:43 AM
CREW99AW

Isles played very solidly,very competitively in the 2nd half of last season.

A few posters warned that they were playing loosey goosey,playing with no pressure and it'd be a different story starting out in 2011-2012.

I have to admit,I drank the kool aide.I expected this season's Isles, to be closer to a low ranked playoff team then a high lottery team.

About the only positive is, that with so many of the team's d-men about to become ufas in July and 4 pmd developing in Bridgeport,we'll get a major turnover on the defense.1-2 kids from Bridgeport and 2 vets from trades.

Ufas:Staios,Eaton,Mottuo,Jurcina.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
But we're not getting blown out, Garth doesn't have any restrictions, and elves made the toys that Santa delivered yesterday.

This is near the top of my list of favorite arguments (and I know you're being facetious), but Chaz is deadly serious when he says this. It's so ridiculous. So the next time he pisses and moans about losing some $20 million a season, someone should tell him, "It's not like you're losing $40 a season."

And in the world of Chaz, losing by 6 goals in a 6-0 loss, that's a close game.

Chaz, seeing how he's such a bad owner, is in no position to be insulting. The fans know more about hockey than he does. And for all of his money, I'll bet that there are a fair portion of fans who know more about business than he does. If you ask me, everything about him is overblown (in terms of his attributes of becoming a millionaire). My hope is that he someday joins Sanjay Kumar.

As far as being an Islander owner, he's mishandled everything.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:

Yeah, I mean "it's not like we're getting killed out there".

So things must be OK.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Brunomics

Hey at least we're not getting blown out.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I have to admit,I drank the kool aide.I expected this season's Isles, to be closer to a low ranked playoff team then a high lottery team.
Same here...

Quote:
About the only positive is, that with so many of the team's d-men about to become ufas in July and 4 pmd developing in Bridgeport,we'll get a major turnover on the defense.1-2 kids from Bridgeport and 2 vets from trades.

Ufas:Staios,Eaton,Mottuo,Jurcina.
Interesting point.

If things continue this way (and I see no reason why they shouldn't), I'm hoping Snow will move Streit before the deadline and get a healthy package in return. There should be a number of playoff teams he could help who'd surely be willing to part with a decent prospect, maybe a depth guy to help us get through the season and a good pick. If teams like Dallas, Pheonix or LA are fighting for a spot, I can see them willing to deal.

As far as I'm concerned, the four UFAs you mention can all walk although I wouldn't mind keeping Jurcina around. If any of our boys are ready (and I'm thinking they have de Haan here next fall no matter what), that'd be great, but there's no avoiding it: Snow is DAMNED to pick up several - 3 would be best - top 5 Dmen this summer.

There just aren't enough people left to drink the cool aid if they continue constructing the team as we see it now. There must be money laid out in acquiring established bodies at a serviceable age.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:03 AM
StrongIslanders90

Man Atleast Konopka would of added some fire on the team......Reasoner is not that much better....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:06 AM
IslesNorway

Well, it's not as if we're getting killed out there every night

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:15 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Same here...

I'm hoping Snow will move Streit before the deadline and get a healthy package in return. There should be a number of playoff teams he could help who'd surely be willing to part with a decent prospect, maybe a depth guy to help us get through the season and a good pick. If teams like Dallas, Pheonix or LA are fighting for a spot, I can see them willing to deal.

I'm leery about trading Streit.I know he's struggled this season.
I think he's overworked.

I would rather see Snow add a really good top 4 d-man,take some of the pressure off Streit.I'm not interested in decent prospects or picks for Streit.

the isles have enough decent prospects and how many yrs will we be waiting for that pick to reach the NHL and contribute?

Old
12-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 182
Quote:

Can I say suck anymore?
Injury was a valid excuse last year, that was insane. This year?
Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, I mean "it's not like we're getting killed out there".

So things must be OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Hey at least we're not getting blown out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Well, it's not as if we're getting killed out there every night
Gotta love Wang.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:32 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Same here...

Interesting point.

If things continue this way (and I see no reason why they shouldn't), I'm hoping Snow will move Streit before the deadline and get a healthy package in return. There should be a number of playoff teams he could help who'd surely be willing to part with a decent prospect, maybe a depth guy to help us get through the season and a good pick. If teams like Dallas, Pheonix or LA are fighting for a spot, I can see them willing to deal.

As far as I'm concerned, the four UFAs you mention can all walk although I wouldn't mind keeping Jurcina around. If any of our boys are ready (and I'm thinking they have de Haan here next fall no matter what), that'd be great, but there's no avoiding it: Snow is DAMNED to pick up several - 3 would be best - top 5 Dmen this summer.

There just aren't enough people left to drink the cool aid if they continue constructing the team as we see it now. There must be money laid out in acquiring established bodies at a serviceable age.
Count me among the former Kool-Aid drinkers; I'd thought the offense we saw during last year's surge was showing up this year. The only players that truly showed up to provide it and actually put an opponent on guard are mostly on the top line.

This summer is the last chance I can give Snow to prove that there's more than his belly peeking our from underneath Wang's shadow, though - there are too many expiring contracts, too many UFA's available, and too much talent that should mostly be earmarked for Bridgeport forcing some issues unless there are some nice surprises out of camp. For better or worse, more and more of Snow's draft picks will be hunting for roster spots. There's a whopping $15m-ish coming off of the books that the team should be certain NOT to retain - Rolston, Mottau, Eaton, Nabokov, Pandolfo and Staios by themselves make $11 of this, and I could easily see 4 of them retiring - payers will HAVE to be signed, and they can't make that gap up only by retaining Parenteau, Montoya & Nielsen.

As far as Streit goes, I kind of agree - I just don't see the current NYI front office as being the sort to admit mistakes frequently (this regards his captaincy/trading him after one season at the helm.) I attribute his poor play to being overworked, though I'm not so sure making him captain was the best move at the time, although his experience obviously did make him the best option by more than a few opinions. The D right now is a case of "six of one, half a dozen of the other" - 'overwork Streit & Hamonic and use Jurcina & MacDonald sparingly (at least while A-Mac gets back to form) to deprive Mottau & Eaton of ice time' seems to be the mindset at the moment.

Anyways, they'll simply have too much money they'll need to spend just to hit the cap. Hopefully the list doesn't start dwindling too much, but hopefully they manage to court the following players with better-than-market-value pay and manage to snare a few:

Ryan Suter
Matt Carle
Tim Gleason
Tuomo Ruutu
Paul Gaustad
Zenon Konopka (yes, I'd bring him back.)
Johnny Oduya
Dennis Wideman
Jordin Tootoo

Problem being, it's the quality UFA forwards that are scarce this offseason.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:23 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post

For better or worse, more and more of Snow's draft picks will be hunting for roster spots. There's a whopping $15m-ish coming off of the books that the team should be certain NOT to retain - Rolston, Mottau, Eaton, Nabokov, Pandolfo and Staios by themselves make $11 of this, and I could easily see 4 of them retiring - payers will HAVE to be signed, and they can't make that gap up only by retaining Parenteau, Montoya & Nielsen.

The only one of the isles recent 1st rounders,who I expect to make next season's roster is maybe De Haan.I would be surprised if he had big bonuses in his contract, like the prospects taken in the top 5 have gotten.

I don't expect Strome to be nhl ready.

If the isles somehow end up with Nail or Grigorenko,then I could see them using another bonus laden ELC to help them reach the floor.

Old
12-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Isles Junkie

I think those of you expecting Streit to be traded are setting yourself up for disappointment.

It might make all the sense in the world to trade him, but I just don't see it happening. Not only would they have to replace his $5? million against the cap, but they probably feel it would send the wrong message to the fans. I say there's a 10% chance Streit is traded before his contract is up.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
The only one of the isles recent 1st rounders,who I expect to make next season's roster is maybe De Haan.I would be surprised if he had big bonuses in his contract, like the prospects taken in the top 5 have gotten.

I don't expect Strome to be nhl ready.

If the isles somehow end up with Nail or Grigorenko,then I could see them using another bonus laden ELC to help them reach the floor.
De Haan has a 1.47m cap hit

It's so damn sad that we're talking about rookies cap hits & how they'll help us reach the floor. Absolutely pathetic what this franchise has turned into.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:42 PM
CREW99AW

the current cba expires in Sept. 2012.
League execs. expect the new cba to allow teams like the Isles/Devils/Ducks to finally get a share of league revenue sharing.

I read about Columbus qualifying for a full share of revenue sharing,that the check the Blue Jackets would receive could be for as much as $10m.With Forbes saying Wang lost about $4m last season,revenue sharing would have the isles turning a profit.

Hopefully,Wang would put that money into the budget.
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ng-may-change/

Old
12-26-2011, 02:47 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
the current cba expires in Sept. 2012.
League execs. expect the new cba to allow teams like the Isles/Devils/Ducks to finally get a share of league revenue sharing.

I read about Columbus qualifying for a full share of revenue sharing,that the check the Blue Jackets would receive could be for as much as $10m.With Forbes saying Wang lost about $4m last season,revenue sharing would have the isles turning a profit.

Hopefully,Wang would put that money into the budget.
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ng-may-change/
You mean the budget for a China camp or for a rookie bonus he might have to pay out?

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:09 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
You mean the budget for a China camp or for a rookie bonus he might have to pay out?
As Caustic Acrostic points out,they have to spend to reach the floor.

2012-2013 budget:
Tavares' cap hit is $5.5m,although his actual salary is $4m.

Grabner and KO's cap hits are each about $3m,although each will actually take home $2m.

Moulson-$3.1m
Nino-$2.8m
Reasoner-$1.3m
Bailey-$1m
Ullstrom-$875,000
Streit-$4.1m
Hamonic-$850,000
MacDonald-$550,000
DiPietro-$4.5m

Martin's a rfa.
Frans'Parenteau and Montoya are ufas.

Guys like De Haan,Cizkas and Donovan aren't going to eat up that much payroll.Snow's going to have to spend.

Old
12-26-2011, 03:15 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

2012-2013 budget:

Grabner and KO's cap hits are each about $3m,although each will actually take home $2m.

Moulson-$3.1m
Nino-$2.8m
Reasoner-$1.3m
Bailey-$1m
Ullstrom-$875,000
Streit-$4.1m
Hamonic-$850,000
MacDonald-$550,000
DiPietro-$4.5m

Martin's a rfa.

Guys like De Haan,Cizkas and Donovan aren't going to eat up that much payroll.Snow's going to have to spend.
Or give out some very creative bonuses.

Old
12-26-2011, 03:28 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Or give out some very creative bonuses.
There have been calls on message boards the past few seasons,for the league to stop allowing teams to circumvent the cap.

It's gonna be kind of difficult for Wang to argue that he needs revenue sharing to ice a competitive team,while signing old vets to bonus laden deals,they have little chance of collecting on.

Old
12-26-2011, 03:34 PM
OlTimeHockey

Now if only the league would step in and tell him that if he'd hire competent people and TRY, he'd make more money.

But they won't.

Old
12-26-2011, 03:41 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:

2012-2013 budget:

Moulson-$3.1m
Nino-$2.8m
Reasoner-$1.3m
Bailey-$1m
Ullstrom-$875,000
Streit-$4.1m
Hamonic-$850,000
MacDonald-$550,000
DiPietro-$4.5m

Martin's a rfa.

That's in the $29m ballpark.

The floor is $48.3m. I really can't see a way for Snow, even with his skill with cap finaglry to cook the books enough to hit the floor without blowing away someone with an offer. Hopefully it's a player currently in Nashville yellow. I'm not holding on to hope for Parise, but he, Suter or Weber getting blown away with a contract including a signing bonus where the fine print ensures that good stats must be hit to achieve maximum payout would solve several problems at once.

I know I'm daydreaming, but I'd call it a successful offseason if they could walk away with Suter, Gleason, Ruutu, Tootoo and Konopka. That roster isn't getting pushed around at all as you could put a mean SOB on every single line with a negligible drop in talent from the top line (if that's what you wanted to do) or add a metric ****-ton of grit to the bottom three. Whatever is on the team now that gets pushed to the AHL, fine by me. The pipeline isn't so desolate that roster spots need to be handed out due to any assumed merit anymore.

Last edited by 88th Precinct: 12-26-2011 at 03:46 PM.
88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Moosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I think those of you expecting Streit to be traded are setting yourself up for disappointment.

It might make all the sense in the world to trade him, but I just don't see it happening. Not only would they have to replace his $5? million against the cap, but they probably feel it would send the wrong message to the fans. I say there's a 10% chance Streit is traded before his contract is up.

God knows we are only allowed to have one NHL defenseman at a time, so I won't be surprised if Streit is traded. It would be surprising if Garth replaced him, though.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:13 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

And tonight's good news? No Islander players were killed in the making of this game.

That's right grill, this loss was 100% humane.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote