HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marty Reasoner

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2011, 12:52 AM
Bill Omie*

vCash: 500
Marty Reasoner

Why do we have this guy on the team? He's awful. I can't believe 80's hair-do Capuano continues to scratch players like Comeau and Okposo and this dead piece gets to lace them up every night. Marty Reasoner might be the worst player in the league, and most of the fans that sit in my section feel the same way. Why doesn't the coach see this?

Old
11-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Belarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Omie View Post
Why do we have this guy on the team? He's awful. I can't believe 80's hair-do Capuano continues to scratch players like Comeau and Okposo and this dead piece gets to lace them up every night. Marty Reasoner might be the worst player in the league, and most of the fans that sit in my section feel the same way. Why doesn't the coach see this?
I'm banking on Reasoner not scoring this year. What a pathetic signing...

Old
11-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Macch

When the isles signed Reasoner, I'd say 85% of the people on here thought it was a good upgrade over Konopka for the 4th line. He simply hasn't panned out.

I'd really like to see Bailey given the chance to play on that third line again. At least he still has upside.

Old
11-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
When the isles signed Reasoner, I'd say 85% of the people on here thought it was a good upgrade over Konopka for the 4th line. He simply hasn't panned out.

I'd really like to see Bailey given the chance to play on that third line again. At least he still has upside.
I don't think Reasoner was promoted to the 3rd line for his good play though, it was more of a demotion for Josh.

Old
11-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Brunomics

Quote:

I was extremely happy they signed Reasoner, I thought he was exactly they type of signing to help solidify the bottom six and make the 4th line somewhat of a respectable line. He's just been terrible but I don't know if it's him or being a product of the environment. But then again once Martin left his line is when his play took a crap because I thought he was pretty decent to start the season.

Looking back he played for a bad Edmonton team, then a bad Atlanta team followed by a bad Florida team and hasn't sniffed a playoff game since 2003. I'd hate to be nitpicky but if a guy spends year after year on bad teams it should be a sign that he's not a player winning teams want on their roster.

Old
11-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Darth Bangkok

Or its a signal that the drive to win has been beaten out of him.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:07 PM
13th Floor

Role players look like **** when your core players look like ****. Simple.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Otto91

2 years of Reasoner Why Snow? Why??? 2 years

1.3 and 1.4 mill....Why????????

You need this guy for 2 years cause he is so wanted by the other 29 teams??????

Old
11-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Strummergas

That 2nd goal tonight was all on Reasoner. A vet like that should know better than to make a weak clearing attempt like he did. ****ing pathetic! Just like that whole first line, ****ing pathetic!

Old
11-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Isles4ever82

Its funny for all the fans clamoring for Konopka back and questioning the Reasoner move.

Almost everyone on this forum made comments like" reasoner is a better player then Konopka" or He will be a better fit for this team then Konopka"

Hows that line of thinking going now?

I knew this move was horrid move from the start. I sat back knew fans ould regret that move.
Replacing your real captian,vocal leader, leader in the club house for a guy who on paper is a "better hockey player". This is not the game NHL, you need those type of chracter,leader type on your team. What Konopka does cant be measured on the score sheet, the element he brings is so much more important then the 5 goals reasoner is gonna score.

Old
11-21-2011, 10:38 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Role players look like **** when your core players look like ****. Simple.
well said!

I can't believe we have Reasoner, Rolston, Pandolfo, THREE vets that are all interchangeable, they play exactly the same way. They are redundant.

And sadly, all are terrible. They are all slow, untalented and unmotivated.

Old
11-21-2011, 10:58 PM
mitchy22

It's not simply about Reasoner, but the makeup of the entire corp of forwards is poor. If Reasoner was on the 4th line between two guys who could intimidate, then it wouldn't be such a big deal. He isn't a small forward and he can win a draw. You want your 4th line to get in on the forecheck, hit some guys, keep the puck deep and get off.

With all of that said, who of our centers is physically intimidating?
Not a one.

Not even joking, we have exactly one intimidating physical forward in the entire lineup. That means our bottom-6 is severely lacking and our top-6 is missing that kind of presence.

Since I keep running down our forwards, here they are from purely a size/physical strength and ability to use it perspective:

Center

JT - not overly big, powerful first two strides, strong enough on his skates, but still gets rubbed off the puck by bigger players and is targeted frequently

Nielsen - small, agile, above average speed, will attempt to finish checks along the boards when he has momentum from skating, but often gets caught in big hits and shies away from playing down low

Bailey - not overly big, not overly fast, starting to get into the dirty areas and takes a hit better than most of our centers (which is sad), not physically intimidating

Reasoner - big enough, but doesn't play like it, not intimidating, not punishing

RW

KO - strong, good in the corners, but doesn't intimidate or finish enough checks

Comeau - fast, lacks agility and turning ability, strong in hitting on the forecheck, but poor in the corners and needs straight paths to be punishing

PAP - tireless work ethic, scrappy, poor skater, not big or strong, always attempts to play physical and finishes checks, but will never be intimidating

Martin - consistently physical, punishing hitter, fearless, plus fighter, passable skater, playing in a limited role

LW

Moulson - not overly big, but not small, good in front of the net and not afraid of contact, but loses too many physical battles in the corners

Grabner - very much on the small side, very fast, doesn't shy away from contact, needs speed to make a hit effective, needs to always be moving to have any kind of physical presence

Pandolfo - decent skater, not overly big, not overly physical, not even remotely intimidating

Rolston - decent enough size, doesn't use it to his advantage, slowing down with age which makes it even less likely that he'll reach a play in time to bang a body

Take that group as a whole and tell me you're scared to match up against them. It's not really just a problem that Reasoner is underwhelming, it's that the team lost almost all of its toughness in order to upgrade bottom-6 skill (and so far that skill has been present in very limited fashion.)

We needed to upgrade our top-6 skill and improve our physical attributes across all of our lines. We failed on both accounts.

Mitch

Last edited by mitchy22: 11-21-2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: replaced a z with a d
Old
11-21-2011, 11:13 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever82 View Post
Its funny for all the fans clamoring for Konopka back and questioning the Reasoner move.

Almost everyone on this forum made comments like" reasoner is a better player then Konopka" or He will be a better fit for this team then Konopka"

Hows that line of thinking going now?

I knew this move was horrid move from the start. I sat back knew fans ould regret that move.
Replacing your real captian,vocal leader, leader in the club house for a guy who on paper is a "better hockey player". This is not the game NHL, you need those type of chracter,leader type on your team. What Konopka does cant be measured on the score sheet, the element he brings is so much more important then the 5 goals reasoner is gonna score.
Konopka suited up for all 20 games or so that we lost in a row last year too. If your team leader is your least talented hockey player, you might as well pack it in... of course I clamored for Reasoner or Fidler and well Reasoner does not fit in here at all.

Old
11-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Isles4ever82

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
Konopka suited up for all 20 games or so that we lost in a row last year too. If your team leader is your least talented hockey player, you might as well pack it in... of course I clamored for Reasoner or Fidler and well Reasoner does not fit in here at all.
I blame that on Gordon and his horrid system more then anything else. Then the next 10 games where Cappy came in the Isles were adjusting to the new system. All I know is that after that 20 games this team played like a team that cared about eachother,played with fire passion and energy. There is none of that this year.

Old
11-22-2011, 04:25 AM
Symon Asher

Reasoner is soft, slow, can't play D or score. Loses one on one battles . That is the same skill set the majority of the team has.

Old
11-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:

I disagree. The Islanders have been a soft team for years and Konopka finally brought some accountability. I dont know who was pro Reasoner replacing Konopka but it was not I. I also thought that Konopka was under used. They kept saying he couldnt play a regular shift for 10 minutes a night and that made no sense to me. Notice we haven't won an important faceoff since he left.

That said I dont think Reasoner has been as bad as everyone is saying. He is a 4th line center who kills penalties. The issue is he doesnt bring what Konpka brings and nobody else on our roster brings what Konopka brings.

Old
11-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Aucoin3

One last thought, if the Islanders had dropped Konopka signed Reasoner and instead of Rolston brought on Clarkson then I would totally understand. We get a guy who can handle a regular shift and take on some of if not all the Konopka responsibilities and upgrade the "hockey skills" of Konopka to Reasoner.

That said we did not do that.

Old
11-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Torontobruinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Omie* View Post
B's fan I come in peace. Why is Okposo being scratched? I always felt he was a solid player who could develop into a 30-40 goal scorer on the right team.

Old
11-22-2011, 12:46 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobruinsfan View Post
B's fan I come in peace. Why is Okposo being scratched? I always felt he was a solid player who could develop into a 30-40 goal scorer on the right team.
0 goals 3 assists -7 or something like that. No passion, no heart. pretty much invisible.

Old
11-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Torontobruinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
0 goals 3 assists -7 or something like that. No passion, no heart. pretty much invisible.
Yeah but the room in Long Island sounds like it's terrible. This guy is way better than those numbers. He needs a new team. We'll take him what do you guys want?

Old
11-22-2011, 12:57 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Yeah but the room in Long Island sounds like it's terrible. This guy is way better than those numbers. He needs a new team. We'll take him what do you guys want?
I dont want to trade him, but somehting isnt right at this point.

Old
11-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
I will take a 7th rounder and one free kick to the ball bag of Kevin Youkilis.

Old
12-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Isles4ever82

This guy is awful !
He has 0 goals and is a -16 and to those who that said that replacing Konopka for Reasoner was gonna make us a better team because he's a better "hockey" player then Konopka needed to have their head examined.

Anyone with half a brain knew that Reasoner as 4th line player was never gonna make this team any better and was not THE RIGHT FIT for this team, but the know it all pacifist Islander fans think they know better then everyone else. How is the Reasoner for Konopka swap working out for you guys now?

I know I hate to keep harping on Konopka, but I said replacing him with reasoner would be a huge mistake and it has turned out to be right.
Konopka was our Real Captian, the heart and soul of this team our vocal leader, a physicial ,never backdown team first guy that took pride in defending this Islander franchise and teammates and he can take a regular shift and is real good at faceoffs.

Reasoner has has 0 goals and is a -16 and brings no leadership,no heart, no grit, is a non hitting player and brings nothing to this team.

Reasoner brings nothing to the table and was not a good fit for this team and as fans that watch this team and the NHL on a daily basis you guys should have know that reasoner was not the answer to the forth line for our team.

You dont build a team on paper just because a guy has better stats then one guy, there is alot more to a team then that.
It all has to do with a teams needs, and for a team like ours Konopka was the much better fit then reasoner and the fans with their heads on straight saw this also.

Last edited by Isles4ever82: 12-26-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old
12-26-2011, 09:34 PM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
pacifist Islander fans
There are way too many of these pansies running around forums.

Old
12-26-2011, 09:42 PM
islandermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever82 View Post
This guy is awful !
He has 0 goals and is a -16 and to those who that said that replacing Konopka for Reasoner was gonna make us a better team because he's a better "hockey" player then Konopka needed to have their head examined.

Anyone with half a brain knew that Reasoner as 4th line player was never gonna make this team any better and was not THE RIGHT FIT for this team, but the know it all pacifist Islander fans think they know better then everyone else. How is the Reasoner for Konopka swap working out for you guys now?

I know I hate to keep harping on Konopka, but I said replacing him with reasoner would be a huge mistake and it has turned out to be right.
Konopka was our Real Captian, the heart and soul of this team our vocal leader, a physicial ,never backdown team first guy that took pride in defending this Islander franchise and teammates and he can take a regular shift and is real good at faceoffs.

Reasoner has has 0 goals and is a -16 and brings no leadership,no heart, no grit, is a non hitting player and brings nothing to this team.

Reasoner brings nothing to the table and was not a good fit for this team and as fans that watch this team and the NHL on a daily basis you guys should have know that reasoner was not the answer to the forth line for our team.

You dont build a team on paper just because a guy has better stats then one guy, there is alot more to a team then that.
It all has to do with a teams needs, and for a team like ours Konopka was the much better fit then reasoner and the fans with their heads on straight saw this also.
Konopka had 2 goals all season was minus 14, they needed an upgrade there but Reasoner was the wrong player. This team has bigger problems then Reasoner though.

Closed Thread