HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2011-2012 Prospect Talk

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2011, 01:44 PM
scott99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
Strome is hilarious on twitter.

strome18 (Ryan Strome)
Off to the airport heading to NY today! Can't wait to be on Long Island! Hey, @NYIslanders fans notice I said "on" LI? Learning already!
Probably why him and Kabanov probably will gel, both have good senses of humor, and immense talent.

Old
07-17-2011, 02:00 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

"What, you mean do I think we will win?? Oh for sure, for sure."

Kabanov is awesome.

Old
07-17-2011, 02:01 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Lookin' forward to seeing some of these prospects soon.

Here's an interesting thread on Kichton:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=870646

He's one of the guys I'm really interested in seeing.
BTW, thanks for this. Good read and I'm excited to see this kid's development over the next couple of years. I really think he could be a high-rising prospect for us. Andrew MacDonald-esque.

Old
07-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Forty Six and Two

Isles’ Kirill Kabanov making strides to erase past lapses

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp9226

UNIONDALE, N.Y. -- Being on time wasn't really New York Islanders prospect Kirill Kabanov's(notes) forte last season.

After being selected No. 65 overall at the 2010 NHL Draft (during which he gave us one of the top 10 post-Draft photos ever), Kabanov was late for team physicals at the start of training camp. A week later, he failed to learn his lesson and was bag-skated for being late yet again.

But Kabanov has been trying hard to turn over a new leaf since last year's tardiness issues. He was 30 minutes early at the start of this week's Islanders development camp at Nassau Coliseum.

Are we finally seeing a new-and-improved Kabanov, the one who's past issues have been well-documented?

Time will tell, but he's certainly talking that way.

Old
07-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
BTW, thanks for this. Good read and I'm excited to see this kid's development over the next couple of years. I really think he could be a high-rising prospect for us. Andrew MacDonald-esque.
If he's part of the Islanders' system. Since he was eligible and by-passed a couple of times, I believe he has to be signed by next summer.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 07-19-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old
07-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

http://thegoalieguild.com/top100prospects/

Montoya is considered a prospect...

Either way, 3 in the top 20!

Old
07-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post

I dunno... not too many Islanders fans have Mikko > Nilsson

Old
07-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post

Yep, but Nilsson is 60 something in that list and the guy writes that Nilsson will be in Sweden next year.

All my information out of Sweden says that if there had even been an inkling of a possibility that the Isles would have him in Sweden, he would not have signed. Coming over now and being in the NHL or AHL was an absolute must.

This said, other than maybe Poulin, anyone in the know obviously realizes this is far and away our best goaltending prospect. You don't put up that kind of GAA and save percentage before your 21 birthday in the SEL and not be considered a top 30 goaltending prospect for the NHL.

Not even Markstrom has achieved what Nilsson has.

Reading some of the other stuff in that article, I wouldn't put too much weight in it.

Old
07-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Yep, but Nilsson is 60 something in that list and the guy writes that Nilsson will be in Sweden next year.

All my information out of Sweden says that if there had even been an inkling of a possibility that the Isles would have him in Sweden, he would not have signed. Coming over now and being in the NHL or AHL was an absolute must.

This said, other than maybe Poulin, anyone in the know obviously realizes this is far and away our best goaltending prospect. You don't put up that kind of GAA and save percentage before your 21 birthday in the SEL and not be considered a top 30 goaltending prospect for the NHL.

Not even Markstrom has achieved what Nilsson has.

Reading some of the other stuff in that article, I wouldn't put too much weight in it.
Huh?

Final seasons in SEL.

Markstrom - 2.01 GAA 927SV%
Nilsson - 1.92 GAA 918SV%

I would say that Markstrom had the better stats. He also started for the world junior team twice, while Nilsson made it once as backup.

Markstrom is the top goalie prospect in hockey right now, I definitely wouldn't say Nilsson has achieved what Markstrom has.

Last edited by Doug Height: 07-29-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old
07-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Huh?

Final seasons in SEL.

Markstrom - 2.01 GAA 927SV%
Nilsson - 1.92 GAA 918SV%

I would say that Markstrom had the better stats. He also started for the world junior team twice, while Nilsson made it once as backup.

Markstrom is the top goalie prospect in hockey right now, I definitely wouldn't say Nilsson has achieved what Markstrom has.
Well I'll be darned! I stand somewhat corrected. I could have sworn he was playing in the Allsvenskan (2nd league) when he put up those stats.

But you're right - he played for Gävle in the SEL. Still, if you ask me, those are some pretty doggone similar numbers - I mean really. Heck, one has .09 better GAA and the other a .009 better save percentage. Saying Markstrom has the better numbers is picking at straws.

He was the clear joice with WJC nominations.

What I can thankfully say is that Markstrom never backstopped his team past the 1st round of the playoffs.

Nilsson not only did that this past winter, but had a .930 save percentage and 1.96 GAA in the process - in 13 games. So haaaaaaaa!

Anyhow, not trying to argue he's better than Markstrom. Just think the difference is not so great that one is the top goalie prospect in the NHL whereas the other is ranked 62nd. That shows me that the author is lacking knowledge with respect to Nilsson - and likely on a number of the other goalies.

Old
07-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Well I'll be darned! I stand somewhat corrected. I could have sworn he was playing in the Allsvenskan (2nd league) when he put up those stats.

But you're right - he played for Gävle in the SEL. Still, if you ask me, those are some pretty doggone similar numbers - I mean really. Heck, one has .09 better GAA and the other a .009 better save percentage. Saying Markstrom has the better numbers is picking at straws.

He was the clear joice with WJC nominations.

What I can thankfully say is that Markstrom never backstopped his team past the 1st round of the playoffs.

Nilsson not only did that this past winter, but had a .930 save percentage and 1.96 GAA in the process - in 13 games. So haaaaaaaa!

Anyhow, not trying to argue he's better than Markstrom. Just think the difference is not so great that one is the top goalie prospect in the NHL whereas the other is ranked 62nd. That shows me that the author is lacking knowledge with respect to Nilsson - and likely on a number of the other goalies.
You got me there.

I agree though, he should be ranked higher. At the very worst he should be top 30.

That site is usually pretty good though, they watch most of these guys and give very detailed reports on all of them, maybe they haven't been able to see any of Nilsson.

Old
07-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

For those interested:
Kabanov
http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...article_id=700

Old
07-31-2011, 06:45 PM
NYR89

Any chance Niederreiter plays in the NHL this season?

Old
07-31-2011, 08:28 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR89 View Post
Any chance Niederreiter plays in the NHL this season?
Before we traded for Rolston i would have guess 80-20 he plays in the NHL this season, now I am guessing 50-50. I think he basically will get his 9 game try out and they will decide then. It's a shame he can't play in the AHL this year I think that's where he would be best off.

Old
07-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Forty Six and Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Before we traded for Rolston i would have guess 80-20 he plays in the NHL this season, now I am guessing 50-50. I think he basically will get his 9 game try out and they will decide then. It's a shame he can't play in the AHL this year I think that's where he would be best off.
Nino already had his 9 games last season, scoring 1 goal and 1 assist. How soon people forget

Old
07-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Kabanov was at Post Park tonight from 8 to 10 playing roller hockey with a bunch of people. He is a natural at getting fans to love him. Everywhere he goes he is directly involved in the community.

Old
07-31-2011, 10:53 PM
pattyb91

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
Kabanov was at Post Park tonight from 8 to 10 playing roller hockey with a bunch of people. He is a natural at getting fans to love him. Everywhere he goes he is directly involved in the community.
That was an incredibly fun time, my favorite part of it all was how much he really enjoyed it...he is a great kid

Old
07-31-2011, 11:41 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Six and Two View Post
Nino already had his 9 games last season, scoring 1 goal and 1 assist. How soon people forget
I am fairly certain he can play 9 games again this season and get sent down without it counting against a year of his contract

Old
08-01-2011, 05:35 AM
Mikkel

Quote:

Just to be a pedant, Markström played for Brynäs (who are based in Gävle), and it should probably be noted also that he was younger than Nilsson when he posted his SEL stats (they are both born in 1990, but Markström already left for NA last summer). Furthermore, Markström won the Elitserien 'Vezina' (Honken Trophy), while Nilsson did not, as well as being awarded as the best goaltender in the WJC.

I'm really high on Nilsson, but so far he is not (even close to be) on Markström's level as a prospect.

Old
08-01-2011, 07:20 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
It'll be interesting to see, for sure.

Still gotta wait and see if something else happens on the trade front.

Until the Comeau and Bailey deals are wrapped up (certainly the YES Vote is the most important thing at the moment), we'll have lots to speculate about.

Still, I can't help but wonder if the prospect camp has already got the Islanders thinking that Niederreiter is best served with yet another year in Portland?

In any case, I think all of us know that Rolston is a player and will be getting minutes of some sort - and prolly not 4th line minutes either... Not at 5 million per, right?

Still, I'm wondering how we're gonna get that Top 4, righty-shooting Dman? Comeau looks like the biggest trading piece.

Somehow, I just do not want to see us send any of de Haan, Hamonic, Niederreiter, Nelson, Lee, Petrov, or the 2012/13 first away in any trade. I also don't want to see Bailey heading out unless a similarly talented young forward is coming back in the deal.

Gotta think Snow will eventually find another Wisniewski-like deal out there.

Old
08-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
Just to be a pedant, Markström played for Brynäs (who are based in Gävle)
Ohhh man Mikkel, you're preaching to the choir here.:-)

You know in North America, it's just as common to hear, for example, "He's playing for Philly" as it would be to hear "He's playing for the Flyers".

I guess now I can't write Karlstad without adding Färjestads, Gothenburg without adding Förlunda, osv.

Old
08-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Mikkel

Quote:
Ohhh man Mikkel, you're preaching to the choir here.:-)

You know in North America, it's just as common to hear, for example, "He's playing for Philly" as it would be to hear "He's playing for the Flyers".

I guess now I can't write Karlstad without adding Färjestads, Gothenburg without adding Förlunda, osv.
Yeah, but it's not really the same, is it? Gävle is not part of the team name (Brynäs IF), so wouldn't it be more like saying that Matt Duchesne had a good season for Denver?

Old
08-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Yeah, but it's not really the same, is it? Gävle is not part of the team name (Brynäs IF), so wouldn't it be more like saying that Matt Duchesne had a good season for Denver?
Now I've gone and looked it up and you know what my assessment is.... I'll be darned. It looks like those Swedes REALLY do refer to their teams according to the club, and not necessarily the city the club is hailing from.

Gothenburg's site says Frölunda Indians.
Gävle's site says Brynäs IF.
Karlstad's site says Färjestads BK.

Etc., etc.

No sign of what city they're from unless you look for the team/ice rink address somewhere.

Well, of course, except for those such as Timra IK and Linkoping HC, etc.

To my defense, here in Germany we've got a stats issue that comes out every summer where we get the full stats for the NHL, AHL, ECHL and most all important European leagues. In these magazines, they always write AIK Stockholm, Brynäs IF Gävle, Frölunda Göteborg, HV71 Jönköping, etc., etc.

So I assumed it must be that way up there too...

Old
08-02-2011, 03:30 AM
Mikkel

Quote:
Now I've gone and looked it up and you know what my assessment is.... I'll be darned. It looks like those Swedes REALLY do refer to their teams according to the club, and not necessarily the city the club is hailing from.

Gothenburg's site says Frölunda Indians.
Gävle's site says Brynäs IF.
Karlstad's site says Färjestads BK.

Etc., etc.

No sign of what city they're from unless you look for the team/ice rink address somewhere.

Well, of course, except for those such as Timra IK and Linkoping HC, etc.

To my defense, here in Germany we've got a stats issue that comes out every summer where we get the full stats for the NHL, AHL, ECHL and most all important European leagues. In these magazines, they always write AIK Stockholm, Brynäs IF Gävle, Frölunda Göteborg, HV71 Jönköping, etc., etc.

So I assumed it must be that way up there too...
Actually, Brynäs, Frölunda and Färjestad all refer to the geographical places that those clubs hail from (Frölunda is a neighbourhood in Gothenburg, Brynäs a neighbourhood in Gävle and Färjestad a neighbourhood in Karlstad), so you are not left completely in the dark about the location

I think the reason for the confusion is that in European sports - you will know this, but others might not - many cities have more than one club. Now, in professional sports (in smaller countries at least), most cities only have main team, but often that will be 'the club that won'. These are not franchises who are appointed their position as representatives of their distinct geographical areas. It might just be the most successful out of many different organisations that started out in the city.

Of course, you'll be easily understood if you refer to Brynäs as Gävle, but if you would say Stockholm, then it would be difficult (with AIK and Djurgården both in Elitserien, and Hammarby in Allsvenskan).

Furthermore, try referring to Aston Villa as Birmingham, Everton as Liverpool or St. Pauli as Hamburg...

Old
08-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Furthermore, try referring to Aston Villa as Birmingham, Everton as Liverpool or St. Pauli as Hamburg...
Now THAT really is a good point!

Closed Thread