HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Prospect Talk

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2011, 06:31 AM
onesinceforty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Poulin up to his old tricks...should be called up to back-up DP tomorrow...
Nillson gets the call, as reported by IPB. I like Poulin too but he has been outplayed by Nilsson so far this year.

Old
11-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I'd say the sky is the limit for the kid.

He has size and speed and offensive creativity. His rookie season was actually quite good all things considered. Now he's scoring goals, many of which are coming in the form of 'power forward' style goals.

He is a guy who will get a good long look at the NHL level, likely with us.

I am really not sure if he could come up now and help this team at this point. I'm not even sure it would be of benefit to him.

If we keep stinking up the place, it may be unavoidable that we see him within the next 10 games.
I heard during the draft that a lot of people were comparing him to Franzen? Big kid, strong skater but not overly fast. Strong, accurate, heavy shot but not lightning quick release. Solid two-way but nothing mind-boggling. Sounds a little accurate?

Old
11-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesinceforty View Post
Nillson gets the call, as reported by IPB. I like Poulin too but he has been outplayed by Nilsson so far this year.
Nilsson is a better goalie than Poulin. If Nilsson gets alot of playtime, he will be one of the best goalies in NHL. Trust me...

And it's time to bring up Ullström now.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:06 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Strome has really become more of a goal scorer. Last year he had more than 2x as many assists as goals, he was more of a playmaker. Now he has more goals than assists. Maybe people aren't burying his passes as much as last year ?
I like to see this. Maybe he's just shooting more. Who knows, I don't see any of his games although I'll try to get to 1-2 this season.

If Strome can develop his shot and becomes a scoring threat then he's a much better prospect imo.

I love the fact the NYI took Strome because the team has nobody who has vision on the ice, that can make plays off the rush or even down low. It's all Tavares. Bailey has the skillset but hasn't developed as much as we would have liked.

Between Brock Nelson, Strome, Yakupov/Grigorenko this year (not joking) - the NYI should have some balanced attack (one day, maybe 2015) with the Nino, Petrov, Kabanov types.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:09 AM
seafoam
Halcyon Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
Nilsson is a better goalie than Poulin. If Nilsson gets alot of playtime, he will be one of the best goalies in NHL. Trust me...

And it's time to bring up Ullström now.
I still have high hopes for both goalies, but I agree on Ullstrom. Around this time of year we start to talk about All-Star snubs. Well I think it's safe to say Ullstrom is a call-up snub. Can't wait to see this kid play for us. Who do you think he best compares to today? Filpula???

Old
11-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Renbarg

Trivino needs one more goal to match his season high at BU. Looks like he is finally putting **** together. I hope we sign his kid.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
I still have high hopes for both goalies, but I agree on Ullstrom. Around this time of year we start to talk about All-Star snubs. Well I think it's safe to say Ullstrom is a call-up snub. Can't wait to see this kid play for us. Who do you think he best compares to today? Filpula???

I'm very excited about Ullstrom as well; that said i dont think there is any harm in keeping him in the AHL for rest of the season. If the Isles bring him up now, I doubt they'll put in him in a scoring role. Let him stay in BP and continue to develop his offensive skills.

Old
11-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

Hey guys, been busy lately.

Checking in to say Kabanov has a been generating anywhere from a pair to a half dozen of scoring chances a game. His shooting has improved, but he still needs more work on his shot - his selection is very good but his wrister needs to be far more accurate and deadly for a 2nd line NHL scoring forward. His passing and puck control are already NHL level.

Old
11-19-2011, 12:38 PM
boredmale

I predict the team Ed Westfall's played for wins tonight on Ed Westfall night

Old
11-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Strome has really become more of a goal scorer. Last year he had more than 2x as many assists as goals, he was more of a playmaker. Now he has more goals than assists. Maybe people aren't burying his passes as much as last year ?
I was able to catch the Kingston/Niagara game last night in person. Some random thoughts on Strome's play:

-He definitely looks like he's shooting more this year. Last year he would pass first, shoot second. This year if there's an opening, he'll take the shot.

-He doesn't look very fast. He's not slow by any means, but he also doesn't seem to have that quick burst acceleration that sees him blow by defensemen. IMO, he's got to work on his skating if he wants to replicate his junior success at the NHL level. Otherwise, he'll find similar struggles that Bailey's had.

-He looked more noticeable this year, in terms of being dangerous every time he was on the ice. Maybe it has to do with him shooting more; last year I wasn't really impressed with him the games I saw because it seemed he played on the perimeter and just passed all the time instead of going into traffic. This year he's going to the net and is more of a threat since he can both pass and shoot.

-He's got a lot of bulking up to do. He still looks like a teenager. And yes, I realize he IS a teenager. But that's my point. Guys who can typically compete physically in the NHL are youngsters who are already sporting "men" bodies. Strome needs to put on at least another 10 to 15 pounds of muscle. Otherwise, he'll be muscled off the puck way too easily.

Some non-Strome observations:

-Another Isles' pick, Mitchell Theoret, worked hard last night and was finishing his checks. But to be honest, he doesn't look like someone with any sort of pro potential. He just looks like your run of the mill hard working junior grinder who can chip in a dozen goals (in junior), bang along the boards, and generally be difficult to play against. But he's not a good skater and his actual puck skills aren't, IMO, near NHL-caliber, even in a grinding role.

-Dougie Hamilton is the real deal. He's great at QBing the powerplay, he's so smooth out there, and he skates so well for such a big guy. It was a big difficult to completely assess his game, since Niagara dominated a pretty bad Kingston club, so he wasn't up against tough opposition. But his offensive game looked outstanding, and he was good in his own zone. The only thing that stood out as obvious to me that he's got to improve before he can play in the NHL is put on weight/muscle. The dude looks a bit like a beanpole out there.

Old
11-19-2011, 01:46 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I was able to catch the Kingston/Niagara game last night in person. Some random thoughts on Strome's play:

-He definitely looks like he's shooting more this year. Last year he would pass first, shoot second. This year if there's an opening, he'll take the shot.

-He doesn't look very fast. He's not slow by any means, but he also doesn't seem to have that quick burst acceleration that sees him blow by defensemen. IMO, he's got to work on his skating if he wants to replicate his junior success at the NHL level. Otherwise, he'll find similar struggles that Bailey's had.

-He looked more noticeable this year, in terms of being dangerous every time he was on the ice. Maybe it has to do with him shooting more; last year I wasn't really impressed with him the games I saw because it seemed he played on the perimeter and just passed all the time instead of going into traffic. This year he's going to the net and is more of a threat since he can both pass and shoot.

-He's got a lot of bulking up to do. He still looks like a teenager. And yes, I realize he IS a teenager. But that's my point. Guys who can typically compete physically in the NHL are youngsters who are already sporting "men" bodies. Strome needs to put on at least another 10 to 15 pounds of muscle. Otherwise, he'll be muscled off the puck way too easily.

Some non-Strome observations:

-Another Isles' pick, Mitchell Theoret, worked hard last night and was finishing his checks. But to be honest, he doesn't look like someone with any sort of pro potential. He just looks like your run of the mill hard working junior grinder who can chip in a dozen goals (in junior), bang along the boards, and generally be difficult to play against. But he's not a good skater and his actual puck skills aren't, IMO, near NHL-caliber, even in a grinding role.

-Dougie Hamilton is the real deal. He's great at QBing the powerplay, he's so smooth out there, and he skates so well for such a big guy. It was a big difficult to completely assess his game, since Niagara dominated a pretty bad Kingston club, so he wasn't up against tough opposition. But his offensive game looked outstanding, and he was good in his own zone. The only thing that stood out as obvious to me that he's got to improve before he can play in the NHL is put on weight/muscle. The dude looks a bit like a beanpole out there.
Thanks for post Sid.

Strome's skating was getting way overblown as if he was one notch below Grabner on here. He's a good skater, but not elite. I think his sweet mitts allow him to do things at HIS top speed and it makes it look like he's really fast. He's agile though, pretty shifty from what I've seen. Looking at how JT has improved his skating this year and the fact that they work out together in the offseason, I think that young Ryan will improve.

It's all a matter of getting bigger and stronger for him. If he can add that 10-15 pounds of rip by next year, his whole game will just improve by leaps and bounds. JT has been a beast this year and I think it's because he's starting to get his man strength. JT was also one of the oldest, if not the oldest, in his draft class. Ryan was one of the younger ones in his. I'd say Strome would be ready in about 2 years IMO.

As for Hamilton, don't get me started. I wanted him badly at the draft. I am definitely happy with Strome though.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:49 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Trivino needs one more goal to match his season high at BU. Looks like he is finally putting **** together. I hope we sign his kid.
he scored again...goals in 5 straight games and points in 9 of 10 games this year for BU.

he's bigger, stronger, still skates well...always liked this prospect.

Old
11-20-2011, 12:45 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
he scored again...goals in 5 straight games and points in 9 of 10 games this year for BU.

he's bigger, stronger, still skates well...always liked this prospect.
I never liked this prospect and I'm very happy to admit that I'm wrong. He may actually make it.

Old
11-20-2011, 03:00 AM
IslesNorway

I hope he can get his act together and earn himself a deal.

Old
11-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
I hope he can get his act together and earn himself a deal.
In a recent IPB article on Trivino, BU coach Jack Parker was quoted as saying that the Isles had already attempted to sign Trivino after his freshman and sophomore seasons.

I'm thinking they are fully planning to sign the kid, especially considering they signed Ness who was somewhat disappointing and is a longer shot to make the NHL, at least if his size for that position is any indication.

Old
11-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Renbarg

I think Trivino was one of those kids who physically matures late and therefore really was better suited for the Junior game (and not playing against 22-24 year olds). I remember watching him as a freshman and he just looked so wirey. I haven't seen him this year, but even last year it was night and day in terms of how he looked as a freshman.

The kid has unreal hands though.

Old
11-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I think Trivino was one of those kids who physically matures late and therefore really was better suited for the Junior game (and not playing against 22-24 year olds). I remember watching him as a freshman and he just looked so wirey. I haven't seen him this year, but even last year it was night and day in terms of how he looked as a freshman.

The kid has unreal hands though.

I remember in his draft year he could go as early as late first round. I read he was voted one of the bst playmakers in the draft but dont ask me where.

I agree, he was a twig when drafted and could be one of those guys that just takes longer than most to develop. I have no doubts the Isles will sign him and he'll be in BP next season

Old
11-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Rogie21

Red Hot Hockey: BU vs. Cornell this Saturday night at MSG. Game is a near sellout and will air on MSG Network.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/players/?pd=25557

Old
11-23-2011, 02:56 PM
du78

Scott Mayfield, 6' 4" 200 lbs, of DU and Isle's draft pick let his presence known a few weekends ago against CC's 6' 2" 205 lb Joe Marciano.

Old
11-23-2011, 03:19 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by du78 View Post
Scott Mayfield, 6' 4" 200 lbs, of DU and Isle's draft pick let his presence known a few weekends ago against CC's 6' 2" 205 lb Joe Marciano.

I was very happy with the Mayfield pick on draft day. Big kid, good skater, and with a nasty streak. A right hander, exactly what we need. Hopefully, he'll develop nicely and pan out for us. If he turns out to be an early career Komisarek, then I'd be really happy.

Old
11-23-2011, 03:55 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by du78 View Post

WOW ! I like ! If he develop's his offensive game, he's gonna be a great pick.

Old
11-23-2011, 09:04 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

A pretty decent read on the Hockey Prospectus about our system. Ranked #2 overall as well.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1036

Old
11-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
A pretty decent read on the Hockey Prospectus about our system. Ranked #2 overall as well.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1036

Nicely done, but he is extremely generous on the low floor of all these guys. The talent we have stockpiled is very good

Old
11-25-2011, 04:11 AM
drive45

Ice Dogs vs Battalion

RS = 1G, 1A, +1

He's 36th in the OHL in pts scoring, having played fewer games than everyone ahead of him, in most cases by a 4-5 game margin. RS PPG > Nail Yakupov PPG.

Old
11-25-2011, 06:19 AM
NYI JT91

Kabanov and Petrov numbers are nice this year. I also have hope for De Haan

Closed Thread