HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Prospect Talk

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2011, 08:34 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Regarding Kabanov, there is talk over on the Q board about the number of imports on any given team affecting his selection. In other words, teams that currently only have one import may look to Kabanov (such as Shawinigan). I am sure they are allowed to exceed their import quota so long as they start the season with the proper number of imports on the roster (2). Making a trade before Friday to open a spot on the roster for an import makes little sense, as you can imagine.

There is also talk that a dollar value will be affixed to each player, but this seems odd. Perhaps someone can comment further on the process? Assuming last place team gets the first pick, but haven't been able to find any details.

Here's hoping he ends up close to Ottawa, so I can give you the unbiased reporting that you are all so used to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Shawnigian hosting the Memorial Cup next year? That would be good.

Old
06-02-2011, 09:40 AM
bluechipbonzo

vCash: 500
Shawinigan needs offense too...interesting article here on Patrick Roy's interest in Kabanov...

http://lejournaldequebec.canoe.ca/jo...01-225550.html

Old
06-03-2011, 11:26 AM
periferal

Kabanov to Montreal's QMJHL team

ChrisBottaNHL Chris Botta

Per @QMJHL Kirill Kabanov has been picked up in dispersal draft by the league's franchise in Montreal. He'll love it there.

Old
06-03-2011, 11:50 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Per @QMJHL Kirill Kabanov has been picked up in dispersal draft by the league's franchise in Montreal. He'll love it there
That's what I worry about. lol

Old
06-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
ChrisBottaNHL Chris Botta

Per @QMJHL Kirill Kabanov has been picked up in dispersal draft by the league's franchise in Montreal. He'll love it there.

Well he's going to a good team. They finished second behind Saint John last season.

Forget his surroundings. If hes going to earn a ELC its all on him.

Old
06-03-2011, 02:03 PM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
That's what I worry about. lol
Yeah. He'll love it off the ice. Just what this kid needs.. A big city.. Why couldn't he have gone to a small and quiet mining town like Val d'Or?, at least we know he likely wouldn't get into any mischief.

Old
06-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Renbarg

I'm sure a junior hockey star like him could find a wild party in as backward town as there is in Canada. At least in Montreal it will be a bit more structured (if that makes sense). For example getting into a fight with some drunk idiot is far more likely at a kegger than a club in the middle of Montreal.

Plus they won't be able to shield him forever so might as well see how he does on this test.

Old
06-03-2011, 02:46 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
Yeah. He'll love it off the ice. Just what this kid needs.. A big city.. Why couldn't he have gone to a small and quiet mining town like Val d'Or?, at least we know he likely wouldn't get into any mischief.
Well, we are all hoping he ends up playing 45 minutes from Manhattan one day, so if being in a big city is all it takes to ruin this kid he was never going to make it here anyway.

Old
06-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Wonder what this means???

>>>
nyifancentral New York Islanders
Kirill Kabanov was taken by Montreal Junior in QMJHL dispersal draft, Kirill Kabanov is returning to Ak Bars in prospect updates.
<<<

Old
06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

>>>
Kirill Kabanov was taken by Montreal Junior in QMJHL dispersal draft, Kirill Kabanov is returning to Ak Bars in prospect updates.
<<<
Interesting...

Old
06-03-2011, 04:57 PM
CodeE

Quote:

>>>
<<<
Petrov is going to Ak Bars, not Kabanov.

Old
06-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Oh yeah, true. Must've been a typo.

Old
06-03-2011, 05:11 PM
CodeE

Yeah, apparently each QMJHL team is only allowed two European "import" players, big reason why Kabanov didn't go earlier. Nice to see him go to a competitive team though.

Old
06-03-2011, 05:45 PM
TheBoss22

I was going through our GDT for the 2010 draft and came across this gem reported by Doug Height:

Quote:
Botta update:

Quote:
Please let me preface this with a statement that I would take this with a grain of salt. But one…let me call him a distant cousin of the Islanders family, approached me and said the NYI would not be taking Kirill Kabanov in any round. He said Kabanov would not be this year’s Petrov, even if he last until the fifth round. For that to happen, it would suggest that KK completely crapped out in his testing by the Islanders. One last time: take with a grain of salt. I pass it along because 1. I think it was kinda funny the guy walked up to me and 2. it’s a frickin’ blog without all those restictions all those credible newspapers have.
Isn't that hilarious!!! Isles sent someone to talk to Botta hoping he'd report it and throw others off the KK scent!!!

Old
06-03-2011, 06:11 PM
TheBoss22

So David Toews re-enters the draft? Or is he a UFA?

Also of note: Kabanov was chosen 2nd last in the first round of the dispersal draft. Surprising he went so late. Probably b/c the bad teams choosing first have no need for an overager.

Old
06-03-2011, 06:33 PM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post

Also of note: Kabanov was chosen 2nd last in the first round of the dispersal draft. Surprising he went so late. Probably b/c the bad teams choosing first have no need for an overager.
What do you mean by "overager"? Next year, Kabanov will only be 19 yo. He's not an overager...

Old
06-03-2011, 06:36 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIsle View Post
What do you mean by "overager"? Next year, Kabanov will only be 19 yo. He's not an overager...
I meant he more than likely has 1 year in JRs (if that) before he becomes pro.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

It's because teams can only have two foreigners.

And most of the teams already have their two foreigners.

Old
06-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Belarus

Kabanov matures

Old
06-05-2011, 09:57 AM
BennyBST

Quote:

Neither, since he started off at north dakota we have 4 yrs to sign him, so we hold his rights for another year. I would give him and Dehart AHL deals to see if they're worth an ELC. Kinda looks grim for them at this point, but they're worth a look in the AHL or ECHL.

Old
06-05-2011, 10:54 AM
steveat

From what I understand, petrov is going back to serve the final year of his contract over there, but the papers say it is also because his mother is very ill and most likely he won't show up for camp this year.

"the big right wing will fulfill the fourth and final year of his Kontinental Hockey League contract in 2011-12."

"As of this date, Petrov is not only committed to playing in Kazan this season, but he is very questionable for the Islandersí prospect camp next month. " (June 3rd 2011)

He is on loan back from Yurga. He never got a lot of icetime before because Akbars likes to play older more experienced guys..so now, petrov is older and more experienced (2 years at yurga)....he is going to get a lot of good icetime I think.

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...ssel-are-free/

----------

As far as Kirill is concerned. He is still young..a little immature, but he's a good kid. I think his father is trying to live his dreams through Kirill. The father has good intentions and I am sure treated him well. The bottom line is that this kid is not an "ass"..he just needs guidance. Though, he does seem attention starved, which probably is a symptom of some negligence in his childhood..anyway..I think he will be a late NHL bloomer..like maybe 22-23 (mentally)..but when he catches up..watch out. He will tear it up.

-----------------

Regarding who to pick...There are about 6 top guys we could use...which ones will fair well at the NHL level..I think the top 4-5. I am thinking Laarson might even go first ahead of Nugent-hopkins and there is (I think) a good chance, we might be able to get Huberdeau..whom I like very much.

Old
06-05-2011, 12:19 PM
BennyBST

Quote:

Neither, since he started off at north dakota we have 4 yrs to sign him, so we hold his rights for another year. I would give him and Dehart AHL deals to see if they're worth an ELC. Kinda looks grim for them at this point, but they're worth a look in the AHL or ECHL.

Old
06-05-2011, 01:50 PM
StumpNYI

Hockeysfuture has bumped us up to 6th on their organizational rankings. Did I miss something? I swear were were in the middle of the pack last month 16th or 17th or something. Are there any other credible sources of where we rank in prospects? Where is that Top 5 this year going to put us?

Old
06-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Hockeysfuture has bumped us up to 6th on their organizational rankings. Did I miss something? I swear were were in the middle of the pack last month 16th or 17th or something. Are there any other credible sources of where we rank in prospects? Where is that Top 5 this year going to put us?
We were middle of the pack in last year's rankings.

This year's rankings just came out a few weeks ago.

Thus, our Isles will remain 6th until next year's rankings. I believe the annual rankings come out every May.

Old
06-05-2011, 02:55 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
We were middle of the pack in last year's rankings.

This year's rankings just came out a few weeks ago.

Thus, our Isles will remain 6th until next year's rankings. I believe the annual rankings come out every May.
Oh, thanks for clearing that up! None the less, its good to see its not just us fans overrating our prospects

Closed Thread