Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Kaberle to Canes

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Mxpunk

vCash: 500
Just a quick warning. As a Kings fan, I had to watch both Kaberle and Modry play for the Kings. If you think it was good to let Kaberle go b/c of his soft play, be sure to close your eyes when Modry hits the ice. You will see a slow, soft defenseman who won't hit if his life depends on it. Even more, on the PP, he loves to take the puck from the point to the boards near the faceoff circle and take a no-angle shot, often missing the net...Many Kings fans rejoiced when Modry left town!

Old
07-19-2004, 01:22 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk
Just a quick warning. As a Kings fan, I had to watch both Kaberle and Modry play for the Kings. If you think it was good to let Kaberle go b/c of his soft play, be sure to close your eyes when Modry hits the ice. You will see a slow, soft defenseman who won't hit if his life depends on it. Even more, on the PP, he loves to take the puck from the point to the boards near the faceoff circle and take a no-angle shot, often missing the net...Many Kings fans rejoiced when Modry left town!
Many of us already know how Kings fans feel about Modry. He was your whipping boy, much like Tremblay was for us.

No direct offense, but I regard fan opinions on players much like I do columnists such as Larry Brooks. A decent grasp of what is what, but in the end bias destroys any credibility of the opinions given.

And Modry is no longer a King, why the need to still berate him? I don't think it was out of the kindness of your heart that you came to warn us Thrasher fans. Let it go, or at the very least stop trolling.

Old
07-19-2004, 05:18 PM
Section119

My understanding was that FK was arbitration eligible, and based on the high number of minutes played, would almost certainly have been awarded a stupid contract number. DW let Staios go for much the same reason and he has played big minutes for Edm every year since. Right? Wrong? Not my place to critize this move, yet. But DW has been consistent in avoiding the punitive damages of arbitration and for that I do applaud him.

I know one thing for sure, I won't be hoarse after home games from shouting at FK to SHOOT THE PUCK!

Old
07-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Mxpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw7
And Modry is no longer a King, why the need to still berate him? I don't think it was out of the kindness of your heart that you came to warn us Thrasher fans. Let it go, or at the very least stop trolling.
Sorry, cw7. As an avid hockey fan, I tend to browse through the boards of other teams who interest me (Atlanta, Ottawa, Montreal, Edmonton, and especially the Kings). In fact, I came in here to check on any replies to my Brennan posts, as well as Mike Weaver questions. My opinion is that Modry is not much of an upgrade over Kaberle, and it seems that many fans agree. If there is going to be some sort of "territorialism" here, I'm sorry for intruding onto your board.

Old
07-21-2004, 12:48 AM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk
Sorry, cw7. As an avid hockey fan, I tend to browse through the boards of other teams who interest me (Atlanta, Ottawa, Montreal, Edmonton, and especially the Kings). In fact, I came in here to check on any replies to my Brennan posts, as well as Mike Weaver questions. My opinion is that Modry is not much of an upgrade over Kaberle, and it seems that many fans agree. If there is going to be some sort of "territorialism" here, I'm sorry for intruding onto your board.
My apologies as well. I get a bit too hyped-up at times. I took your comments a bit more to heart than I should have. A character flaw that I've been working on over the years, much better than it was before but still a work-in progress.

I still do believe what I said. Fan opinions on players can't be trusted, we just have too much bias. Even those who truly believe that they aren't biased are still influenced in some way (assuming they are a huge fan of the game). Nature of the beast, we can't get away from it no matter what. The rose-colored glasses always appear.

What you say about Modry may be right, and we might be yelling and screaming at him sometime in the near future. Don't know. Or the change of scenery and/or coaching may bring out something new in him. Don't know that either. I'll reserve judgment until he plays a decent chunk of games here.

Like the picture says, this is the land of the free. Post anywhere you feel like, no worries. Hell, on this board we could use the kickstart.

Old
07-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Mxpunk

[QUOTE=cw7]
I still do believe what I said. Fan opinions on players can't be trusted, we just have too much bias. Even those who truly believe that they aren't biased are still influenced in some way (assuming they are a huge fan of the game). Nature of the beast, we can't get away from it no matter what. The rose-colored glasses always appear. [QUOTE]

I agree with you there...Often, it seems I am in conflict with other Kings fans in regard to our defense. I am of the opinion that our defense is great, but other fans seem to disagree. Like you said, bias can play a huge role in our perception of players and their abilities. The only way to truly discover your beliefs about a player is to watch him yourself; even then, others will always disagree depending on what they are looking for in a player. Thanks again for the post (as well as your insight on Weaver). Take care!

Old
07-21-2004, 05:58 PM
The Sneak

Kaberle is invisible, and I suppose that's a good thing at times for defensemen. A decent second pairing guy that can be trusted with the puck and relied upon to not get himself out of position. Shortcomings are a complete lack of a physical game, and a reluctance to open up offensively. I wonder if playing with a shot machine like Kovalchuk impacts him on the ice where he may look for #17 over taking charge himself. Adequate on the power play, but lacks a booming shot from the point, so look to him as a distributor. Best described by the cliche, "jack of all trades, master of none".

Closed Thread