HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McNabb is signed

Old
05-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
What did they say in the days of Ray, May, Barnaby, Boughner, Hughes, etc?

Sucks to lose to a team coached by a guy that looks like that goofy little Jason Priestlay deputy from Tombstone that was infatuated with that actor dude.

Last edited by Ralonzo: 05-21-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:47 PM
hockeylover1

Looks like Buffalo has the market cornered on players who like to make predatory hits. I'd take Matt Stanish over anyone of Kooteny's dmen any day. He plays solid defense, is creative with the puck, skates with the best of them and he doesn't put himself ahead of his team.

hockeylover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
With Kassian, McNabb, Kaleta and Foligno possibly on the team in the next few years. It will be interesting to watch our more weak stomached fans fretting over their play.
We've talked about it before. Yeah, they dance along that line as physical players and there will be times when they are over. Of course the difference between those three and Kaleta is their overall size. All well over 6' and over 215 lbs? Imposing... fearsome.... dare I say intimidating?

05-21-2011, 08:50 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
We've talked about it before. Yeah, they dance along that line as physical players and there will be times when they are over. Of course the difference between those three and Kaleta is their overall size. All well over 6' and over 215 lbs? Imposing... fearsome.... dare I say intimidating?
I love it. I want to see other teams shoveling their players off the ice in the playoffs instead of us. Its a war of attrition that we have been losing the last two years.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylover1 View Post
Looks like Buffalo has the market cornered on players who like to make predatory hits. I'd take Matt Stanish over anyone of Kooteny's dmen any day. He plays solid defense, is creative with the puck, skates with the best of them and he doesn't put himself ahead of his team.
Is this Stanish?

"I think he's wonderful!"

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:52 PM
ct2111

Quote:
With Kassian, McNabb, Kaleta and Foligno possibly on the team in the next few years. It will be interesting to watch our more weak stomached fans fretting over their play.
Would be nice to see other teams complaining about a dirty team for a change.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I love it. I want to see other teams shoveling their players off the ice in the playoffs instead of us. Its a war of attrition that we have been losing the last two years.
There have been points in the Sabres history when they have managed to be intimidating at home for one reason or another. In the '70's it was the French Connection and the offensive firepower. Again in the early '90's, the LaFontaine-Mogilny years were just wicked -- super-imposed on the heavyweights that then lingered into the Nolan years. Then it was Hasek who was in people's heads in a different way... but if they can't have the offensive guns to simply blow people away, then having the beef to make other teams afraid to show up works just as well. I too can't wait.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 09:00 PM
ct2111

Quote:
There have been points in the Sabres history when they have managed to be intimidating at home for one reason or another. In the '70's it was the French Connection and the offensive firepower. Again in the early '90's, the LaFontaine-Mogilny years were just wicked -- super-imposed on the heavyweights that then lingered into the Nolan years. Then it was Hasek who was in people's heads in a different way... but if they can't have the offensive guns to simply blow people away, then having the beef to make other teams afraid to show up works just as well. I too can't wait.
The team did nothing when Boychuk took out Vanek. They did nothing (ffs Connolly was the one who jumped Hjalmarsson) when Pominville got hit. They did nothing when Lucic flattened Vanek...Atleast with those guy, the game is entertaining even when they're not winning.

Old
05-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
The team did nothing when Boychuk took out Vanek. They did nothing (ffs Connolly was the one who jumped Hjalmarsson) when Pominville got hit. They did nothing when Lucic flattened Vanek...Atleast with those guy, the game is entertaining even when they're not winning.
Adding in some of the other guys they've peppered the development pool with too, they've got more than a few sets of stones and a dumptruck full of sand in their stable.

And I wouldn't mind more.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 09:18 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
... but if they can't have the offensive guns to simply blow people away, then having the beef to make other teams afraid to show up works just as well. I too can't wait.
Agreed. The team winning the series is often the one less injured and beat up. I hope we can somehow squeeze them into the lineup for the playoffs next year!

We just need to somehow get that number 1 centre in the draft and then enjoy the ride over the next three to five years as the defence matures and offence combines a nice blend of skill and toughness. If we can't get Couturier, I think Huberdeau would do the trick.

As for McNabb, I wouldn't be suprised if they throw him out of the tourney - they always go overboard in junior. I hope I am wrong as I would like to see him more. His skating is better than I feared it would be, but still is an issue from what I see.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 09:24 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
As for McNabb, I wouldn't be suprised if they throw him out of the tourney - they always go overboard in junior. I hope I am wrong as I would like to see him more. His skating is better than I feared it would be, but still is an issue from what I see.
Just curious, how bad did you expect his skating to be? He was fairly weak on one-on-ones and his lateral movement is as far as I can see, an issue. After some WHL followers said that his skating had improved since his draft year I was hoping for Mike-Weber-esque skating.

Old
05-21-2011, 09:39 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
Just curious, how bad did you expect his skating to be? He was fairly weak on one-on-ones and his lateral movement is as far as I can see, an issue. After some WHL followers said that his skating had improved since his draft year I was hoping for Mike-Weber-esque skating.
Probably the worst of any Sabres prospect I have seen in years (if ever), that had a chance of cracking the lineup someday. During his draft year, it was a major, major issue - one that dropped him from the 1st round to the 3rd (despite his size, demeanor and offensive talent) and got him embarrassed on the international stage. To me it seems like it is at a workable level (where it could still go one way or the other), where when we drafted him I didn't think we'd ever get to this point.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:50 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
The Sabres also had players it the 70's that were more than competent with the fisticuffs and willing to ensure that the skill players had all the space they wanted / required.

Just having a handful of players ready, willing and able to go would be a nice change of pace and infuse an attitude adjustment to the rest of the team. It would be even better if said players can play a regular shift and contribute offensively and OFFENSIVELY

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 09:42 AM
hizzoner

I thrilled to the French Connection in the early days of the Sabres but there were a lot of games when the tough defence of the Sabres made the difference. While guys like Guevremont had size and could skate, Larry Playfair made opponents think twice before taking liberties. Lindy Ruff could scrap but no one wanted to wake up Korab. Jim Schoenfeld took crap from nobody. Even guys like Dumbo Watson would drop the gloves to stick up for a mate. MacNabb is no Guevremont when it comes to skating-not even a Ruff. But if he has the warrior instincts of Playfair and plays within himself he can bring a lot to the team including bringing heart and energy to the rest of the team. Still it is clear he can work on his skating--get to Bill Hajt's level-and get some minor league experience--and only then will he be nhl ready.

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:57 AM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
Probably the worst of any Sabres prospect I have seen in years (if ever), that had a chance of cracking the lineup someday. During his draft year, it was a major, major issue - one that dropped him from the 1st round to the 3rd (despite his size, demeanor and offensive talent) and got him embarrassed on the international stage. To me it seems like it is at a workable level (where it could still go one way or the other), where when we drafted him I didn't think we'd ever get to this point.
Interesting. That was the first time I had a chance to watch him other than highlights and I was pretty surprised by his offensive instincts. Since all my knowledge of him came from reading scouting reports or postings from WHL followers I was expecting atleast a bit better skating and less traits of a PMD. Thought all of his other features looked NHL-ready other than skating. Hopefully he can follow Gaustad's path and be atleast adequate. He'd be one hell of a d-man then.

Also thought his playing style resembled more Phaneuf's, but with lesser skating, than the stay-at-home guys he's compared with, like Regehr or Komisarek.

Old
05-22-2011, 11:11 AM
ct2111

McNabb gets one-game suspension.

Old
05-22-2011, 11:24 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
That hit was "Billy Fucilo Huge" !!

I
IT
ALOT

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:15 PM
hockeylover1

offensive instincts really???? Never saw anything that creative even powerplay did not connect. I was more shocked at his defensive game. He got caught out of position which lead to quite a few offensive chances. Skating and piviting no where near NHL ready. I thought the undrafted defenceman for owen sound played a better game in their own end. For a leader he took a stupid penalty to put his team right out of the game.

hockeylover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:36 PM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
offensive instincts really???? Never saw anything that creative even powerplay did not connect. I was more shocked at his defensive game. He got caught out of position which lead to quite a few offensive chances. Skating and piviting no where near NHL ready. I thought the undrafted defenceman for owen sound played a better game in their own end. For a leader he took a stupid penalty to put his team right out of the game.
He will need at least a year in the AHL...I agree, it's his speed that's going to hold him back.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:41 PM
ct2111

Quote:
You have to look beyond his performance and concentrate more on the basics:
-He broke up many plays and passes with his stick. Announcers were constantly praising his stick work and long reach.
-His passing and vision with the puck was well beyond what I was expecting. He had some stretch passes that landed right on his team mates stick with bodies in between and there was an unexpected backhand pass that showed he anticipated well.
-His first pass looked good and accurate and his decision making for the most part of the first half was good, too.
-He didn't put himself out of position making hits. Atleast I didn't notice it.

Why you continue to point at his skating, when I said that it's not NHL-ready, is beyond me. Most of his deficiencies can be traced to his lack of footspeed.

And how does on act out of frustration define him as a player? His team was already out of the game, unless you think 3 goals in 5 minutes would have been realistic. He's not a dirty player and he's the captain of a team that went 16-3 and beat the two best ranked teams in the WHL. So what if the Owen Sound player had a better game, if one game is enough for you to write off a player...Guess Myers shoulda been traded at the start of the season, too.

Considering that this was his weakest game in the playoffs, yes, I'm optimistic about him, because he shows potential to be a nasty top 4 d-man, if he works on his skating.

Old
05-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
He will need at least a year in the AHL...I agree, it's his speed that's going to hold him back.
AT LEAST...lets let this kid develop...anyone thinking he'll get an early call up in the next 2 years with our current D depth is crazy...i dont expect to see him until he's 23 at the earliest.

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 02:16 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
AT LEAST...lets let this kid develop...anyone thinking he'll get an early call up in the next 2 years with our current D depth is crazy...i dont expect to see him until he's 23 at the earliest.
He'll get a brief callup next year. You seem to forget, even with our depth we have a knack for getting 3-4 D-men injured (including potential callups) at the same time...

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote