HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Need help, Steam account suspended

Old
05-18-2011, 04:27 PM
BeBen*

vCash: 500
Need help, Steam account suspended

So i bought Portal 2 from ebay about a month ago

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Today the game was revoked from my account apparently related to a problem processing payment or something

And my account suspended

I opened a claim on Paypal to be refunded the 35$ i spent on Portal 2

What about my Steam account? is this just a measure of security of some sort or did they banned my account easily worth 500$+++ permanently because i bought a game i thought was legit...

I have a hard time understanding why they wouldn't just revoke the game and leave it as that, i don't mind taking it with Paypal and Ebay that's where i bought the game but really? banning my 8 years old account with no prior problems of the sort because i redeemed a gift i thought was legit? this is so stupid i can't even begin to explain it

The guy's feedback on ebay isin't bad per say, i thought for sure it was fine

Did it ever happen to anyone? what do i do? i sent a claim to Paypal and sent an email to Steam asking for my account to be unbanned, if they don't do it because they back themselves with their ToU they can forget about my business in the future cause that would be unbelievably wrong from them to take away my games i bought over the years because i got scammed

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 04:50 PM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

Wow. I agree with you it'd be ridiculous. This is exactly one of my concerns about this whole Steam concept... with only getting a digital version they can sort of do anything they want with it.

If it helps you can tell them they'll lose my business as well if this goes on beyond a security thing (even though I only bought 2 cheap games from them and have one retail version which had to be on Steam). In fact they may have lost it already by doing this if it's not for security. (If it is for security it is really good I think and you should get it back).

JPFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Zodiac

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5406-WFZC-5519

follow the steps.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 05:16 PM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
What steps? i saw that before i sent them an email they just explain why they suspend the account, event though to me it doesen't make any sense for this particular reason

Old
05-18-2011, 05:18 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

I'm guessing they are suspecting you used a fraudulent credit card. I would get in touch with their (Steam) support and explain the situation.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Zodiac

yeah you'd have to submit a support ticket i guess and find out what the hell is going on and take it from there.

if it was an innocent enough mistake, i'm sure it shouldn't be much of an issue in getting it back.

sucks tho.

Old
05-18-2011, 06:02 PM
BeBen*

Yeah i guess there's nothing else to do but wait on their response, tried checking the web about similar situations but haven't found much

Old
05-18-2011, 06:49 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

I'm guessing that when you bought it off of eBay, he just gifted it to you? If that's the case, it could be that his account was using a fraudulent credit card, which would flag your account as well.

As an example of why, lets say you stole a credit card. Create a new Steam account, buy games with said credit card and gift them to yourself. I would think they suspend both accounts until they can get the situation resolved.

I'd get some proof ready that you bought it off of eBay from a different user. Take a screenshot of your eBay transaction, as well as your PayPal transaction to his account, just in case Steam does not believe your story.

Old
05-18-2011, 07:10 PM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
I'm guessing that when you bought it off of eBay, he just gifted it to you? If that's the case, it could be that his account was using a fraudulent credit card, which would flag your account as well.

As an example of why, lets say you stole a credit card. Create a new Steam account, buy games with said credit card and gift them to yourself. I would think they suspend both accounts until they can get the situation resolved.

I'd get some proof ready that you bought it off of eBay from a different user. Take a screenshot of your eBay transaction, as well as your PayPal transaction to his account, just in case Steam does not believe your story.
Sure, if it was a new account i could understand but my account is 8 freaking years old with absolutely no warning or anything, never cheated or whatever

Anyway yea i have all the emails from the transaction saved, i actually sent a screenshot of the email i received for when he gifted me the game

Old
05-18-2011, 07:13 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
Sure, if it was a new account i could understand but my account is 8 freaking years old with absolutely no warning or anything, never cheated or whatever

Anyway yea i have all the emails from the transaction saved, i actually sent a screenshot of the email i received for when he gifted me the game
What I meant was, to create a new account using the fraudulent credit card, and gift it to your existing account and claiming you did everything legit. Which is why i'm saying to keep records of your transactions to prove it's not you.

Sounds like you got that in working order though

And now you play...the waiting game.

Old
05-19-2011, 03:50 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Why did you buy that? Someone selling Steam versions of games on ebay and gifting them to you? My first thought would be that it's a scam, probably stolen credit card information. Especially for that much less than the price on Steam? Why would someone buy a bunch of Steam copies of a game and then sell them for a loss?

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 04:32 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

This is why you don't buy game licenses over ebay.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:06 AM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Why did you buy that? Someone selling Steam versions of games on ebay and gifting them to you? My first thought would be that it's a scam, probably stolen credit card information. Especially for that much less than the price on Steam? Why would someone buy a bunch of Steam copies of a game and then sell them for a loss?
Yeah, Steam may be thinking you should've known (or that you actually knew). Which isn't too much of a stretch.

Like when someone offers you a bike for $10 at midnight... you can get caught for that.

JPFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:21 PM
BeBen*

Update for anyone who's interested in case it ever happens to them

So yeah, the guy who sold me the game on ebay decided to pay me back the 35$ spent on Portal 2

Begs the question on what happened, did he bust the limit on his CC, was it malicious or not

Still no news from Steam and what they intend to do with my account, hoping i get complete control of my account back

Old
05-20-2011, 12:12 AM
leova

yet another reason to stay away from "rental services" like steam, onlive, etc....yeah you might think you're actually buying something, but in reality its a "rental of unknown duration"

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:01 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post

Credit card fraud is what it is and they need to follow a code/steps in order to deal with each case. It isn't anything against you personally, but it wouldn't have mattered if the account was 1 day or 5000 days old...

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:44 AM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post
yet another reason to stay away from "rental services" like steam, onlive, etc....yeah you might think you're actually buying something, but in reality its a "rental of unknown duration"
The problem is that he bought it through eBay, not with Steam.

Old
05-21-2011, 10:47 PM
BeBen*

Quote:
Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello , Thank you for contacting Steam Support. This account has been disabled as a gift subscription that you recently accepted in your account has been reported as fraudulent. The subscription has been removed. We will make an exception and reactivate the account this time only. Please refrain from accepting Steam gifts from unknown sources in the future. Valve reserves the right to refer the matter to the appropriate authorities if such activity continues. The Steam Subscriber Agreement can be found at: http://www.steampowered.com/v/index....iber_agreement
Thank god...

Old
05-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Zodiac

Valve really don't f--- around do they?

good that you got it back.

gotta be more careful from now on.

Old
05-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Spawn

Phew, thank goodness you didn't have your account banned permanently. And you got your money back! Double good news.

It seems fairly obvious that a guy who is gifting steam games for less then their actual value on ebay is doing something illegal to acquire the games. Likely CC fraud as mentioned. Otherwise he would just be losing money.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:08 PM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Phew, thank goodness you didn't have your account banned permanently. And you got your money back! Double good news.

It seems fairly obvious that a guy who is gifting steam games for less then their actual value on ebay is doing something illegal to acquire the games. Likely CC fraud as mentioned. Otherwise he would just be losing money.
Any way to revoke my feedback on that guy's ebay account and turn it into a negative one?

Old
05-21-2011, 11:11 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

You can't change positive to negative, only negative to positive. This is why I never leave feedback till later.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:47 PM
MrPotatoHead
Rookie User

I got scammed by the same person. My suspension just occurred today. I put in the claim on paypal, I am just curious if you got your money back or if we are SOL.

MrPotatoHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:32 AM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPotatoHead View Post
I got scammed by the same person. My suspension just occurred today. I put in the claim on paypal, I am just curious if you got your money back or if we are SOL.
Yeah man i got the money back, the guy didn't argue or anything

I opened the claim on paypal the moment i got the game revoked pop-up from steam and the claim was closed a day after saying he was giving me back my money and with my money refunded to my credit card maybe 3-4 days after

Found this thread by googling or you're just a HFboards lurker?

Don't worry everything was fine in my case, my Steam account was restored to me and i got my money back, the only thing that went wrong is that this scamming ******* got a positive feedback from me

Old
06-02-2011, 06:02 AM
MrPotatoHead
Rookie User

OK, that is comforting to know. I did find this thread by googling, I was trying to see if anyone else got scammed by this guy. Hopefully he is still using paypal so I can get my money back too. I am more worried about my steam account though because I have so much money invested in it. But if you got all of your stuff back I am very hopeful my outcome will be just as good.

MrPotatoHead is offline   Reply With Quote