HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Dreger on Leafs Ownership / #1 Center

Old
05-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I think that Richards might be able to see what Burke is trying to do here and he might want to be a part of it? There is nothing more exciting than the Leafs making the playoffs and making a deep run.
Maybe.

Not everyone thinks Burke has done a great job though so who knows what Richards thinks.

If his options are New York vs Toronto, NY has made the playoffs two years in a row vs Toronto finishing bottom 10 two years in a row.

I remember Edmonton offer Hossa 100M and he turned it down to play on a cup contender. Richards has already won a cup but I still think he's going to want to sign somewhere with a history of making the playoffs.

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:56 PM
nick942

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
YES I do I want Kessel to be cocky because if he's cocky he will perform better because he'd be better then almost anybody on the ice.

Kessel being cocky = better stats which = more wins which = playoffs
True, but if Wilson does not call out Kessel for his defensive mistakes then Kessel will never improve.
Which means more goals against = less wins = no playoffs

nick942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Wilson's a dick, there's no doubt about it. I would not choose him as a friend, but if he gets results then he's the guy. Problem is two, to three folded.

A. We don't know if he's been given good enough teams to have much success with.

2. He's a dick and that may deter some players for playing "for" him.

D. Burke and him are buddies.

So those of you on the "fire Ron now" bandwagon, you're in for a wait. He's going to at least let Ron finish his contract. After that though, all bets are off.

Ratboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:28 PM
leafsrule123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Dreger has got to be the most overrated "insider" ever. You'd think being related to Nonis would get him some better info, but no.
Dreger is a Moron. We could do a better job than him for his big salary playing on his blackberry all day thinking people are giving him "Inside Sources"

leafsrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
Maybe.

Not everyone thinks Burke has done a great job though so who knows what Richards thinks.

If his options are New York vs Toronto, NY has made the playoffs two years in a row vs Toronto finishing bottom 10 two years in a row.

I remember Edmonton offer Hossa 100M and he turned it down to play on a cup contender. Richards has already won a cup but I still think he's going to want to sign somewhere with a history of making the playoffs.
I think you'd be surprised how appealing Toronto would suddenly become if they offered him the most $$$.

Hossa's decision was very unexpected and unusual--almost unprecedented. Guys almost always follow the money (and Hossa did get his monster pay day a year later). And besides, it's not like NY is some serious Cup contender. I could see Richards taking less to play for Detroit or something, but the Rangers? Nah!

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
Definitely agree with this. I wish Wilson would throw a compliment or two in with his criticism, but in a hockey market like Toronto, you better be able to take criticism. And you look at the development of players under him in Toronto (Schenn, Kulemin, Grabovski, Aulie, Reimer, Gunnarsson) and in San Jose (Ehrhoff, Murray, Michalek, Carle, Gorges, Clowe, Pavelski, Vlasic, and briefly Setoguchi and Mitchell) to see that it does work for a lot of players.
well mueller was coming over here, he asked the german players in the NHL, ehrhoff praised wilson's coaching style, so there must be something good about him that people can't see. I still think he is very critical in front of the media but in the locker room he is a completely different guy.

Come on folks...this guy at one point took a capitals team to the cup finals, i Know we are all frustrated about the team's ranking but he must be some coach to atleast reach it there.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

and there is absolutely nothing new in this at all...seems like nothing is cooking until the draft day.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
Wilson's a dick, there's no doubt about it. I would not choose him as a friend, but if he gets results then he's the guy. Problem is two, to three folded.

A. We don't know if he's been given good enough teams to have much success with.

2. He's a dick and that may deter some players for playing "for" him.

D. Burke and him are buddies.

So those of you on the "fire Ron now" bandwagon, you're in for a wait. He's going to at least let Ron finish his contract. After that though, all bets are off.
I don't like Wilson's style, but I agree that results trump everything when evaluating a coach. Problem is, Wilson has had three years now and his results are putrid. Not until Reimer stormed on the scene did he come anywhere close to competence.

I can see giving him a chance to finish his contract based on the strong finish last season. But an extension? At this stage? What's the point of that? Wilson has as much to prove as anyone in this organization, if you ask me.

Old
05-18-2011, 09:41 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Maybe.

The Rangers remind me a lot of Toronto. They've been pretty much a bubble team every year since the lockout. They've been such a team due mainly to one guy: Lundqvist. Look at Toronto this year. Give them Reimer's play for a full season and what do you have?

I don't see Cup contender status as a reason that favours the Rangers at all.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:42 PM
exporta

Quote:
Dreger has got to be the most overrated "insider" ever. You'd think being related to Nonis would get him some better info, but no.
Yeah, like there is tons to report about a non play-off team during the playoffs? hahaha.

No defending Dreger, but on this particular interview I find this statement hilarious!

What do you expect him to say? Nonis told me that they are saving cap space to sign Brad Richards?

I am pretty sure thats called tampering.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Sign Richards
Trade for Thornton
?????????
Profit

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exporta View Post
Yeah, like there is tons to report about a non play-off team during the playoffs? hahaha.

No defending Dreger, but on this particular interview I find this statement hilarious!

What do you expect him to say? Nonis told me that they are saving cap space to sign Brad Richards?

I am pretty sure thats called tampering.
and a drunk ron wilson almost already screwed us with that.

Old
05-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Suntouchable13

Who knows, maybe Dion hung out with Richards in PEI lately and they had a bit of a chat?

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:59 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Oree View Post
why are so many of you so pessimistic? Has all the losing really effected your ability to see a positive? Is it really that hard to believe we will have a no.1 centre next year?
I'm not pessimistic, it's a post on Dreger's big news. OMG, Burke is looking for a center via trade or free agency. NO **** sherlock!

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I'm not pessimistic, it's a post on Dreger's big news. OMG, Burke is looking for a center via trade or free agency. NO **** sherlock!

Old
05-18-2011, 10:08 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulebreath View Post
Thanks, I had failed to realize the "Richards shunning Toronto" thing had such a solid source.
lets keep the richards shunning toronto myth alive, so if he does sign with toronto (i dont think he will, but burke can throw filthy money at him) we can throw it in people's faces. guess it wont matter because everyone will forget about ever bringing it up, just like kaberle for a 2nd...lol, that was a beauty trade!

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I think it's newsworthy (assuming Dreger does know something) that a #1 centre will be acquired.

It's one thing to want one and another to be committed to getting one. I think that's what Dreger is saying, which is interesting if true. Maybe not "ground-breaking," but interesting nonetheless.

Old
05-18-2011, 10:26 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Dreger is turning into Eklund.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:41 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
In terms of Wilson we can only hope that guy gets canned eventually. It's not a big deal to criticize players now and then, though really mix in some positives and that'd be good. Regardless of the quality of the team Wilson hasn't done much. The PP and PK have only gotten worse as his tenure has gone on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
I think it's newsworthy (assuming Dreger does know something) that a #1 centre will be acquired.

It's one thing to want one and another to be committed to getting one. I think that's what Dreger is saying, which is interesting if true. Maybe not "ground-breaking," but interesting nonetheless.
Problem is that there isn't any guarantees. Unless Burke has a trade finalized and is just sitting on it or Richards has outright told Dreger that he's signing with Toronto no matter what, that statement doesn't mean more than Burke will try to get a #1 center. There might not be much to say about a non-playoff team during the playoffs, but if that's the case say nothing for now.

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:51 PM
javier

Everyday I wake up with the dreaded feeling that we I turn on the radio I'm going to hear that Ron Wilson is getting an extension. I have no problem with him coming back if they feel that he hasnt been giving a good enough team to win and that he shouldnt be responsible for that, but no way in hell you give him an extension. No way.

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:56 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
Everyday I wake up with the dreaded feeling that we I turn on the radio I'm going to hear that Ron Wilson is getting an extension. I have no problem with him coming back if they feel that he hasnt been giving a good enough team to win and that he shouldnt be responsible for that, but no way in hell you give him an extension. No way.
Why wouldn't you extend one of the NHL's best coaches? They gave him nothing to work with, not his fault.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Sundinftw

Quote:
my thoughts exactly...
and for those bashing wilson...i dont think he has been the problem to be honest we havent had much skill on our team...when you have a top 9 forward core incuding brent, crabb, boyce and bozak for much of the season as well as inconsistent/borderline horrible D from komi, beach, lebda, also for a chunk of teh season is not on the coach

that being said, I'll wait to pass a true judgement on him when he is given a team of players that have enough skill and speed to win

Sundinftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
People will believe what they want but Richards to Toronto seems pretty unlikely.
Why wouldn't it be unlikely?

When you think about it, also think how it can pertain to other
UFAs?

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:30 PM
teddygmr

[QUOTE=Leaf Rocket;33117239]well mueller was coming over here, he asked the german players in the NHL, ehrhoff praised wilson's coaching style, so there must be something good about him that people can't see.

I figure Burke will be making a ufa contract offer to either Ehrhoff or Bieksa....hopefully they think playing for Wilson would be OK.

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 12:05 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Oree View Post
I'm sure your list would resemble mine it really isn't too hard to come up with a list. Obviously Crosby, Stamkos, Kesler are at the top of my list...
So in other words, you can't really think of anybody?

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote