Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Nikolai Filatov

Old
05-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Remember2004

vCash: 500
Nikolai Filatov

I saw this on the main board in one of the discussions for Filatov.
How many of you would be happy with this?

CBJ: 1st rnd pick 13th overall,Bouwmeester

Cgy: 1st rnd pick 8th overall, Filatov 3rd rnd CLB

I think this gives us some cap relief the only thing is that it will put a hole in our defense but we get 2 picks for it and a high prospect.

Thoughts?

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Filatov is a young and skilled guy with loads of potential. Ironically, he reminds me alot of Zherdev. I think the main issues with him are if he really has the desire to compete night in and night out. He is just still so young so it is really hard to judge what kind of player he will end up being.

The 8th overall would be really nice and it would be great to pick up a 3rd at the same time. We would definitely be able to get a better pick there than we would at our current position. We would probably be guaranteed to get whatever guy Feaster and staff are targeting as their first choice right now. Honestly, that and the cap relief are pretty tempting. But Bouwmeester does have a NMC, I am not so sure he would waive to go to Columbus. I think that trade would get axed by Bouwmeester, he came from Florida (a similar under achieving non hockey market) to come to a market like Calgary. Its an interesting and tempting proposal, I'm not really sure what to think of it to be honest.

Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 05-19-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:00 AM
Backlund

I like it, though I am not entirely sure how much help Filatov will be but we do move up in the draft which is a great thing plus pick up another 3rd.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:48 AM
Xelstyle

I'm fairly certain most Flames fans would bite on this. Columbus on the other hand would be the opposite.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 02:15 AM
DBU
Stars

Pretty sure it's Nikita Filatov...

As for the player himself, I'd be interested in this. Young, talented player that would be a slight gamble but worth the reward if it works out. Sign me up.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Flameshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember2004 View Post
I saw this on the main board in one of the discussions for Filatov.
How many of you would be happy with this?

CBJ: 1st rnd pick 13th overall,Bouwmeester

Cgy: 1st rnd pick 8th overall, Filatov 3rd rnd CLB

I think this gives us some cap relief the only thing is that it will put a hole in our defense but we get 2 picks for it and a high prospect.

Thoughts?
Haha Hey this was my proposal!!
it got mixed reviews on the main board. Half were in favor for columbus, half weren't. Most observers were in favor for both teams, with a few who may not have seen bouw for a few years saying we were getting hosed. I dunno, when I was thinking about it it seemed pretty fair. Swapping under preformers, calgary getting some much needed cap relief! The main point against it from most columbus fans though was that the team has an internal cap and may not be able to afford the deal.

I almost agree with MVW though, not sure Bouwmeester would approve.

Flameshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Remember2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameshomer View Post
Haha Hey this was my proposal!!
it got mixed reviews on the main board. Half were in favor for columbus, half weren't. Most observers were in favor for both teams, with a few who may not have seen bouw for a few years saying we were getting hosed. I dunno, when I was thinking about it it seemed pretty fair. Swapping under preformers, calgary getting some much needed cap relief! The main point against it from most columbus fans though was that the team has an internal cap and may not be able to afford the deal.

I almost agree with MVW though, not sure Bouwmeester would approve.
Yeah I read it then I was "I need to put this on Flames board" IMO I think its fair value because Bouwmeester shined when he was playing in a underachieving market ie: Florida maybe if he returns to that form in CLB it would be fair. Im pretty sure that thieir Internal cap could handle it but then they wouldn't have that much of cap flexibility.

Old
05-19-2011, 06:16 PM
slappipappi

Zero chance J-Bo agrees to go to Columbus.

I don't think I need to check to see if he has a NTC/NMC.

Everyone on Calgary does.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

I'd take it and run. I like Jaybo, but to unload that contract, move up in the draft, and get a guy like Filatov would be too good to be true.

Now, if we could just work Stajan and Huselius into that deal

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:03 PM
GaryTheGreatRoberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
I'd take it and run. I like Jaybo, but to unload that contract, move up in the draft, and get a guy like Filatov would be too good to be true.

Agreed

GaryTheGreatRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Remember2004

Quote:

I'm not the only one! I think we can try to use Bouwmeester + to get a #1 center if anyone is in need of defense.

Old
05-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Flameshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember2004 View Post
I'm not the only one! I think we can try to use Bouwmeester + to get a #1 center if anyone is in need of defense.
Regrettably no one that has an excess of number 1 centres really needs Jaybo/ can fit him.
And before someone says colorado, just think about how unrealistic a trade that sends a number 1/2 defensemen and a number 1 centre opposite ways would be within division rivals

Flameshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Northern Neighbour

Columbus apparently is willing to deal the 8th overall pick. If the Flames could convince Bouwmeester to agree to move to Columbus, then a deal involving the 8th pick and Filatov would be a good foundation. Getting 2 picks in the top 15 would help restock the farm system.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:09 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
I would make this trade. Calgary gets cap space, a great propect and we jump up 5 spots in the draft. Where do I sign?

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameshomer View Post
Regrettably no one that has an excess of number 1 centres really needs Jaybo/ can fit him.
And before someone says colorado, just think about how unrealistic a trade that sends a number 1/2 defensemen and a number 1 centre opposite ways would be within division rivals
Colorado just dealt Stewart for Johnson. I still can't believe they did that. Nothing against Johnson, but Stewart was amazing.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:53 AM
tfong

Omg I would love this trade if that was what CBJ was asking for.

I've always been high on Filatov, I think he just chaffed under the Hitchcock era.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:34 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Colorado just dealt Stewart for Johnson. I still can't believe they did that. Nothing against Johnson, but Stewart was amazing.
I know a guy like Stewart is a very rare breed in this league. Johnson has more upside imo, but I couldn't part with a guy of Stewart's mold for him ever. I can only imagine the damage he is going to inflict under a good playoff run.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 01:18 PM
tfong

I would love to have Johnson too anyways. I don't understand it though, has Johnson's value dropped so low somehow? Or is Stewarts sky high?

Anyhow Johnson is only 23, I wish we had the assets to obtain him at the time. I still think the guy is poised as a #1-2 dman.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 05:58 PM
JamesBond*

Doesn't he have a "no trade?" If so, why the hell would he want to go to Columbus? He signed in Calgary because that's where he wants to live.

He is not going anywhere, IMO.

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:00 PM
GoFlames

Why would JB want to go to a perennial loser like Columbus. If people want to move him then who is going to fill a gaping huge hole on the first D pairing.... ? These players do not grow on trees. Now to make things worse Erixon pulled a Lindros and a potential top 4D man for an ELC slipped through the fingers. Don't get me wrong I dig Filatov and moving up in theb draft but it is real risky...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 04:41 AM
BenThatcher

Jay Bouwmeester is two years into a five year, 33 million dollar contract. He's scored just seven goals in those two seasons! He has negative trade value.

Keep in mind, you're not trading players, you're trading contracts. If Bowmeester had three years left on a contract that only paid him one or two million per season, he'd be on the most valuable players in the league, at least in terms of trade value.

Crosby is probably the best player in the league, but if he was one year into a ten year, 200 million dollar contract, he'd be worthless in the trade market because no team would want to pay him twenty million per season.

BenThatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 06:55 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

So, we trade a top pairing defensemen, get a shiny new pick, and a prospect who is a long shot to even make the NHL?

How about no.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 08:11 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenThatcher View Post
Jay Bouwmeester is two years into a five year, 33 million dollar contract. He's scored just seven goals in those two seasons! He has negative trade value.

Keep in mind, you're not trading players, you're trading contracts. If Bowmeester had three years left on a contract that only paid him one or two million per season, he'd be on the most valuable players in the league, at least in terms of trade value.

Crosby is probably the best player in the league, but if he was one year into a ten year, 200 million dollar contract, he'd be worthless in the trade market because no team would want to pay him twenty million per season.
What's amazing with this post is that most people will read it, sort of understand it, nod their head, and then go and suggest that we trade XX player (who's overpaid) with a NMC clause for a decent return.

Good players, even great players, can have negative trade value. They can only be moved (assuming they play for a team other than Calgary and don't have a NTC/NMC) for another bad contract.

+1

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 04:47 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenThatcher View Post

Holy ****! I can hear the play by play.... Taylor Hall on a breakaway bnut due to the price the contract of Jay Bouw can not make the play

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 04:51 PM
BenThatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Holy ****! I can hear the play by play.... Taylor Hall on a breakaway bnut due to the price the contract of Jay Bouw can not make the play
Surely you did comprehend what I was trying to say? The best player in the league can have negative trade value, that's why I used Crosby as an example. Every GM would want to have him on their team, but not if he was getting paid fifty million a year and they had to fill out the rest of their roster with scrubs. Do you understand?

BenThatcher is offline   Reply With Quote