HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Halpern traded to Los Angeles Kings for Purcell + 3rd round pick

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2010, 01:01 PM
HedmanIsMyHomeboy

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HedmanIsMyHomeboy
Jeff Halpern traded to Los Angeles Kings for Purcell + 3rd round pick

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=312248

Quote:
The Los Angeles Kings have acquired veteran forward Jeff Halpern from the Tampa Bay Lightning.

In 55 games this season, the 33-year old Halpern has nine goals and eight assists.

In exchange for Halpern the Lightning get forward Ted Purcell and a third-round draft pick.

The 24-year old Purcell has three goals and three assists in 41 games with the Kings this season.
I like this trade...as much as I liked Halpern, I knew this was coming. Lawton got a great AHL player who has the potential to make a splash in the NHL (despite him failing to do so with the Kings) and a pretty nice pick. Can't complain.

Old
03-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Good trade.

Halpern been useful and I wish him the best in LA

A third is a good return, Purcell could be hit or miss, but it's just a bonus if he works out, it gives us some AHL depth if nothing else.

03-03-2010, 01:07 PM
losingsand

As a kings fan i can tell you that purcell was almost dominant in the AHL. he's a big forward but doesn't use his size... he's one of those players that's pretty good w/ time and space, he's been snake bitten all year long when trusted w/ 2nd line duties. He's got the skill to be effective in this level...it just hasn't come through consistently.

He's one of those top 6 or bust kinda guys. A change of scenery will do him good though.. he got every oppurtunity to prove himself in LA but it just didn't happen.

Tell me more about halpern this year. I know about the grit and the leadership.. anything about his skillset? weaknesses?

Old
03-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Off Center

halpern was the one no-brainer deadline move.....anything we could get for halpern was bonus, as important as getting a return for him was freeing up ice time for young guys who are just as capable of chipping in 17 points and some two-way play across 55 games. you could talk about his veteran presence etc, but with 75 recent NHL retirees on our coaching staff, we won't miss another veteran leader who wasn't a huge difference maker on the ice. won't be missed in the playoff push.

Old
03-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Purcell is a highly skilled player and a great passer. Just always seemed one step behind with the LA Kings, and it's not because he's a slow skater. A bit lanky so he could still bulk up.

He's a smart hockey player, he just needs more time. Don't forget he was an AHL all-star twice. I wish him all the luck in the world.

Old
03-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Halpy's a good PK guy that can play Top 6 if need be. Hopefully Purcell turns into another Downie!

Old
03-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Top 6 or bust defines Purcell. He has trouble putting together a bottom 6 game, and his skills are mostly centered around playmaking and puck possession. He has the skills, just hasn't been able to put it together. Either way, the 3rd round pick is the centerpiece of the trade. You guys got good value, and Purcell may only need a change of scenery. Good luck to you and to Teddy.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
03-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Off Center

i'm guessing that with folks like bochenski and stan parrish seeing regular time in tampa bay, purcell will get to show us what he can do in a lightning jersey almost right away.

based on the analyses from kings fans, i can't see him faring much worse than tanguay has on vinny's wing, certainly can't be worse than the parrish\veilleux\AHLer of the week rotation that's been thrown out on Vinny's wing all year.

this will also be our cue to call up chewy or blair jones for the 3rd line

Old
03-03-2010, 01:26 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Halpern is a very versatile player. Can play a limited top 6 role or on a checking line, pp or pk. He does just about everything, but nothing really great. His points have been on the decline too, but it could be more from our teams inability to score more than him. He's solid defensively and brings that valuable veteran leadership, with all things combined, you will enjoy having him.

Old
03-03-2010, 02:20 PM
TheBoltman

:'( I miss Halpy already.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:22 PM
randdog

Purcell's time here was definitely up as he was given top 6 ice time earlier in the year and he's been in the pressbox for a couple of months now. He's got a deadly wrister, good playmaker and decent skater but horribly soft. He needs to hit the gym as he gets knocked off the puck VERY easily. Perhaps a change of scenery will do him well. He really seemed nervous handling the puck the last few times he was out there. I think he was probably feeling the pressure...

Old
03-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
I am happy with the return. Prospect + 3rd is a great return imo.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:29 PM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 95
Great deal. I wasn't expecting more than a 3rd for 20 games of Halpern.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Bolt32

Good trade by lawton. Halppy was gone at the end of the season anyways. We have a prospect who may end up being a top6 and with a third rounder to boot. I'll take it

Old
03-03-2010, 05:14 PM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

Deadline Day - Kings GM Lombardi on Halpern Deal

Kings GM Dean Lombardi spoke with Heidi Androl following the trade deadline to discuss the Halpern deal and more. Check it out!

Click HERE to watch!

Old
03-03-2010, 05:25 PM
The Jumping Shrimp

Purcell's got skill to boot. Wasn't able to showcase it in Murray's dump and chase, defense first system. I'm pretty sure his confidence is shot but just stick him on a line with Stamkos and I can guarantee the net will be filled for years to come.

Old
03-03-2010, 09:07 PM
bland

Another Kings fan here,

Purcell's strengths are his vision and passing. He's one of those rare players who has the ability to slow the game down when he has the puck on his stick, and he can always find the best scoring chance available. He back checks solidly, and he's good in transition.

He's new to the NHL, and a late bloomer to begin with. He does occasionally get caught taking a little too much time to move the puck, but that's part of the normal development curve. He is absolutely, completely free of physical play, and his board/corner work is his biggest weakness.

As far as his numbers go, he is somewhat similar to Frolov when they have puck control. Both are creative and look to incorporate the defense on the cycle, which just doesn't jive with Terry Murray's offensive approach of funnelling all pucks to the front of the net and banging away. Purcell's numbers suffered as a result, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

He's a boom or bust type who has to play with skilled players to showcase his ability. He lost all confidence here, and rode the pine.

Best of luck to Teddy and the Lightning.

Old
03-04-2010, 01:58 AM
Riofan

Sometimes a change of scenery is all that a player needs. Purcell is not a bad apple, just someone who didn't take advantage of an open spot in a top 6 role on a young team trending upwards. Mostly he lacked consistency or the right fit. As a pending RFA you'll be able to make a decision after his opportunities this season and I wish him the best of luck.

Here's what Dean Lombardi had to say about :

Quote:
I’ve seen this before. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a fresh start and, boom, some things come back for him. But unfortunately, he probably he hit a wall here. It’s a good move for Tampa to take a shot at him.”
http://www.lakingsnetwork.com/hammond/?p=4351#more-4351

Good luck on your playoff push.

Old
03-06-2010, 03:24 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Another kings fan here.

Interesting to hear more good things about Purcell from the kings fans on your board than on ours. Someone tried and pay tribute to Ted by starting an appreciation thread and instantly it was graffitied with hate and insults.

Like other kings fan before me have mentioned, he's definitely got skills. He just needed an opportunity in a different surrounding. Don't be surprised to see him score 30+ goals next year, he's got that kind of skills.

Good luck to you guys and to da tedster!

Old
03-06-2010, 08:38 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Another kings fan here.

Interesting to hear more good things about Purcell from the kings fans on your board than on ours. Someone tried and pay tribute to Ted by starting an appreciation thread and instantly it was graffitied with hate and insults.

Like other kings fan before me have mentioned, he's definitely got skills. He just needed an opportunity in a different surrounding. Don't be surprised to see him score 30+ goals next year, he's got that kind of skills.

Good luck to you guys and to da tedster!
Teddy Tracker: 1G, 2A in 2GP

Hopefully Halpern works out for you guys as well as Teddy is for us. Love the kids instincts.

Old
03-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
It would be nice to benefit from another team not knowing how to use a player. Seems to happen the other way around for us too much.

Old
03-06-2010, 08:52 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Want Revenge View Post
It would be nice to benefit from another team not knowing how to use a player. Seems to happen the other way around for us too much.
Too true.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:03 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Want Revenge View Post
This isn't true. Purcell was used everywhere with the Kings

Old
03-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
This isn't true. Purcell was used everywhere with the Kings
Either way it would be nice to have a player work out here who didn't work out somewhere else no matter what the reason.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:55 PM
TBLHoser

So far he's looked great. Not to say it will stay that way as everybody has slumps but hopefully this'll be the first time someone comes here and plays good!

Last edited by TBLHoser: 03-06-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: typo
Closed Thread