HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part II (incl. protest discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
University/College Questions Part II (incl. protest discussion)

Continue here.

Part 1: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=755500

Old
05-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Alexander Edler*

vCash: 500
I fully endorse this thread.

Old
05-19-2011, 11:37 AM
DestinationUnknown

I am doing an exchange program at UQAM this upcoming fall starting in September, I was wondering if anyone could give me some good information on international housing. Where the best place is to stay if I don't know anyone etc... Any help would be appreciated.

Old
05-19-2011, 12:05 PM
terreur

Depends on the money you are willing to pay for your rent... If you have a lot of money, I would suggest living on the orange line north of the Berri Uqam station (Sherbrooke, Mont-royal or laurier subway station) Rent will be higher, but those are nice area to live and live the Montreal urban life. If you have less money to put on rent, I would suggest looking east of the Berri uqam station on the green line rent will be cheaper and those area are mostly residential areas with less "attractions" near. I don't know what is your knowledge of french, but the area on the green line are mostly french speaking region and people might be a little rude if you speak to them in english and don't show efforts to at least try to speak in french...

Old
05-19-2011, 12:12 PM
LyricalLyricist

I wrote this in previous thread:

Random question. I'm doing a paper on moving ATL to QC city. I don't believe in it, I just chose an easy topic. Anyway, anyone know of any BOOKS that have reference to QC city or winnipeg leaving due to the canadian dollar and etc...? Just asking for a step in right direction. Hard topic to find in a book. No net references sucks.

Thanks to grabo59 for the help. I'd take any extra reference I can find. So if anyone has book references on anything related to Nordiques leaving or returning, let me know!

Old
05-19-2011, 12:46 PM
DestinationUnknown

My French is quite minimal, i'm taking a huge leap of faith that I can get by with very little knowledge of the language. I am willing to try and learn it but that can only get me so far. The price of rent isn't that big of a deal as long as it is reasonable somewhat.

Old
05-19-2011, 12:59 PM
terreur

ok, if you're able to greet someone in french, you're almost sure that you won't have any problems in Montreal, after all it is a billingual city. You might bump into a few idiots, but i guess there are also a few from where you are from .

If rent isn't a problem, I would really suggest something on the orange line (Sherbrooke Laurier or mont-royal will be 30-40% more expensive than on the green line) And a more afordable option could be Beaubien or rosemont or jean-talon station the rent will be cheaper than the three stations above, but more expensive than the green line.

Edit: the reason why I think that the orange line is a good option is that they are french neighborhood so it will be easier to learn french, since all youre small talk will be in french, but people will be able to help you in english.

If you wanna stay in your confort zone, move in NDG (vendome subway) you'll have a hard time finding people that speak french, since most of the people will talk in english!

Old
05-19-2011, 01:55 PM
neofury*

Yeah NDG is a safe bet imo.

Old
05-19-2011, 01:56 PM
DestinationUnknown

Thank you both for the information, I'll check it out and see what I can find.

Old
05-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

I heard Vendome is one of the most dangerous metros lol

Old
05-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
It is a bit dodgy but I wouldn't say it's dangerous by any means. Just mind your business if you notice any shady types and you should be alright. Same goes for a few other metro stations around town.

Old
05-20-2011, 02:31 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
My French is quite minimal, i'm taking a huge leap of faith that I can get by with very little knowledge of the language. I am willing to try and learn it but that can only get me so far. The price of rent isn't that big of a deal as long as it is reasonable somewhat.
There is what is called the McGill ghetto. if you live around there, you can avoid speaking french yearlong.
If you wanna get a french immersion, dont go there. If you wanna party with fellow english out of towners, then go there.
There is no real "student campus" beside the mcgill ghetto... all the french speakers are spread throughout the city.
yes, the poster above is right about orange line, north of berri (called le plateau). nice spot. St-Denis / Mont Royal is the place to be for most french speaking.

I live right in between both part. would say it's perfect. but I'd also say the closer you get to Mcgill ghetto the most expensive it is. people say le plateau is expensive (1200$ for 2 bdrms) but that's cause they never been to mcgill ghetto (1500$ for 2 bdrms) other parts like upper plateau (north of mont royal) or mile end (st-laurent & parc up north of laurier)

Old
05-20-2011, 02:59 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
No way! Vendome is pretty clean. A block from Westmount, etc. I got off there every day for CEGEP, never even saw any shady characters. I'd much rather get off there than St. Henri, De L'Eglise or anything.

Old
05-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

I went to Marianopolis too and I heard someone say that one day.

Old
05-20-2011, 03:31 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
I went to Marianopolis too and I heard someone say that one day.
That's weird then... Maybe it's some rich kids who don't know better?

Old
05-20-2011, 03:33 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
No way! Vendome is pretty clean. A block from Westmount, etc. I got off there every day for CEGEP, never even saw any shady characters. I'd much rather get off there than St. Henri, De L'Eglise or anything.
He's thinking of either Verdun or Villa Maria

Quote:
That's weird then... Maybe it's some rich kids who don't know better?
Dude as a teen who grew up in Beaconsfield for most of his teen years, I have something funny to tell you all.

I knew some people who were afraid to take the city bus even in Beaconsfield. Either because of their parents being worry warts or because they were just so sheltered (or both)

I knew people who weren't allowed to take the bus either, their parents would drive them anywhere they wanted whenever they wanted. I remember one time a friends parents (was sleeping over at his place) were too tired to drive us to the movie theater one night so my other friend and I recommended this friend we just take the bus. Bus stop was like a 5 minute walk through Beaconsfield a totally safe neighborhood, and bus ride was like 10 minutes on the 217, a safe bus route no less. (You'd think it was a bad part of Pierrefonds/Roxboro/Ama Bay and not Beaconsfield/Kirkland )

The parent when they heard this decided they weren't tired and drove us there

Sure enough they were waiting for us when the movie ended too

I know if there are people like this on the West Island who are extremely sheltered, there should be some though a lesser extent probably in the city as well. So then these kids grow up go to school and say Vendome is a ghetto metro, because they don't even know what ghetto is.

You would take them to NDG and they'd front like it's Point St-Charles, and even then I've been to Point and it's not nearly as bad as people made it out to be. I wasn't fearing for myself walking around or anything of the sort. (Then you'd take them to Point, they'd act like it's Harlem, take them to Harlem, they'd act like it's hells kitchen)

Back in my Dollard/Pierrefonds days when my family wasn't too well off, there were parents like this too, but at least then when I lived in a lower income area and bad things did happen in the area, I could understand the concern somewhat even if it's overboard. This is just ridiculous though, some people think any metro stations is ghetto They had a car since 16, grew up in the suburbs and their parents gave them everything they ever needed, to them taking the metro in itself is ghetto.

Last edited by neofury*: 05-20-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old
05-20-2011, 03:43 PM
InglewoodJack

Yeah, the people from where I live (Chateauguay: AKA the less rich, or the french version of West Island), have so much trouble dealing with the buses. I mean, even buses in Lasalle (not sketch, just ghetto as hell) aren't an option. IMO Montreal is pretty safe for the most part. The "dangerous" parts, like The Point, or Montreal North aren't even that bad, and if you mind your own business, and don't be stupid, you won't have a problem.

Also, how the HELL does one register classes at Concordia? I don't know the course codes...

Old
05-20-2011, 03:45 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Yeah, the people from where I live (Chateauguay: AKA the less rich, or the french version of West Island), have so much trouble dealing with the buses. I mean, even buses in Lasalle (not sketch, just ghetto as hell) aren't an option. IMO Montreal is pretty safe for the most part. The "dangerous" parts, like The Point, or Montreal North aren't even that bad, and if you mind your own business, and don't be stupid, you won't have a problem.

Also, how the HELL does one register classes at Concordia? I don't know the course codes...
I'll help you if you like. I just don't know what you're in or what you need to take.

Old
05-20-2011, 03:50 PM
TheBourkeIdentity

Quote:

You should be able to download the course calendar from the Con U. website.

Old
05-20-2011, 03:52 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'll help you if you like. I just don't know what you're in or what you need to take.
I'm in join English/History.

But I booked an Academic Advising session, I'm going to register after that.

Old
05-20-2011, 04:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I'm in join English/History.

But I booked an Academic Advising session, I'm going to register after that.
Okay, no problem. It's really easy, you just need to know what classes are part of your program.

Old
05-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Satan
why did she go

Quick question:
I got accepted into Queen's for their Engineering One year, not sure if anyone is familiar with the program. But if I was looking for a good laptop for Engineering, would most people suggest a Windows based laptop or Mac?

Old
05-20-2011, 04:41 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas09 View Post
Quick question:
I got accepted into Queen's for their Engineering One year, not sure if anyone is familiar with the program. But if I was looking for a good laptop for Engineering, would most people suggest a Windows based laptop or Mac?
I always use windows. I don't even know if some eng programs are compatible with mac.

Old
05-20-2011, 04:44 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas09 View Post
Quick question:
I'm assuming that you need a bunch of software in Eng.? If it's the case, I'd rather chose a Windows-based computer so you don't have to ask yourself if there's a Mac version available. I know the issue isn't as big nowadays but who knows. Also I think that Macs are overpriced.

Old
05-22-2011, 05:55 PM
LyricalLyricist

So I need to 'interview' someone related to hockey for my essay. Anyone know of any sports reporters or hockey players who are reponsive to e-mails and would reply to me in regards to a sports-related(QC getting a team) interview via e-mail?

Closed Thread