HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greening signs 3 year/ 1 way deal

Old
05-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Topside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
why the **** did he get a 1-way?

i'll add that greenie+smith on a 1-way doesnt look good for ryan shannon, who's more than likely gone now.
Why the **** does it matter?

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:23 PM
The Flower
Feel Aflie's Wrath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Gives Murray Cap certainty for 3 years and he'll be a good 3rd line player for us. Foligno better watch out, Greening has a much more dynamic game then he does and they are both battling for the exact same 2nd/3rd line Wing job.

I wonder if this makes Foligno expendable if not this year then maybe in 2-3 years?
That's what I was thinking. He might expendable as soon as this draft. Perhaps BM will use Foligno in a package to upgrade in the draft somehow. I've heard rumblings (nothing substantiated) that Buffalo might want to employ both of the Foligno brothers. Imagine we could could somehow pry their 15th overall pick. A potential first round of Huberdeau/Couturier, Scheifele, and Jensen leaves me salivating.

The Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:24 PM
the tribute

to all the guys complaining... just ****.... seriously? it's not like were headed for the stanley cup next season NOR the season after.... and so what? if he sucks enough to the point where we have to throw him in the minors with the ****** team we will have then he may as well get picked up on waivers....

the tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:24 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

because it sets a bad precedent for future signings in the organization.

1-ways are for players who have earned their spots in the big leagues. Greening hasnt yet.
Does this mean we have to give daugavins a 1-way too now? D. Smith? Bass?

and if we dont give them 1-ways, are we awarding greening a spot preemtively before training camp?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:28 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
why the **** did he get a 1-way?

i'll add that greenie+smith on a 1-way doesnt look good for ryan shannon, who's more than likely gone now.
I can fit Shannon in with these two, plus Condra, plus Butler. But he has to be the 13th forward - which is fine!

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:29 PM
The King of Town

Playing hard ball with him to make him take a 2 way would only serve to piss him off. They weren't going to risk losing him on waivers so it would have been a purely symbolic gesture.

It would have probably meant losing him as a UFA in 2 years instead of 3. It would also have cost more, because he likely left money on the table in exchange for the security of a one way deal.

In essence, you need to stop thinking of the players as "assets" and start thinking of them as human beings, with the motivations of regular human beings. If you like the guy, and he likes you, then ****ing sign him already. This organisation has had enough heartache with players wanting to leave, you don't kick the ones that want to stay in the balls "just to prove a point" or because you're concerned about the "precedent".

The truly great organisations, like the Red Wings and Devils, are the ones that treat their players with class, like a family, not like numbers in a spreadsheet.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Topside

Quote:

1-ways are for players who have earned their spots in the big leagues. Greening hasnt yet.

and if we dont give them 1-ways, are we awarding greening a spot preemtively before training camp?
It doesn't mean we have to do anything. It's a few more dollars from Melnyk (on a team that is going to be spending way less than usual) IF Greening needs to be waived to the AHL.

If it was a 1 year, 2-way deal and Greening pots 15-20 next year...?

There is literally nothing to lose with this signing.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:36 PM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topside View Post
It doesn't mean we have to do anything. It's a few more dollars from Melnyk (on a team that is going to be spending way less than usual) IF Greening needs to be waived to the AHL.

If it was a 1 year, 2-way deal and Greening pots 15-20 next year...?

There is literally nothing to lose with this signing.
That can't be said enough.

Some people are simply incapable of seeing the forest for the trees. They think their fantasy league is what the real world is like, and that the players are just numbers. Then they criticise and try to be contrarian just to make themselves sound all smart and important on a forum.

When your standing on a forum is that important to you, you need a healthy dose of perspective. Getting out of college and joining the real world will often do that to a person.

Old
05-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 857
potential steal, imo. small sample size to draw upon, but i don't call the shots.

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I'm not sure how deep people think our organization is with forward talent.

Sure, 3 years is a lot, but I think he has to digress from:

a) bottom 6er to press box-er
b) press box-er to Bingo (or Waivers)

If he struggles, he would more likely be put up in the press box rather than on waivers.

This guy reminds me of Sean Donavan actually.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:47 PM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
This guy reminds me of Sean Donavan actually.
That's not a bad comparison. I'm hoping his upside is closer to a poor man's Ryane Clowe. Chum never really scored his goals from the dirty areas, did he? Greening can, and even when he's not scoring, he's usually playing a very physical game.

Last edited by The King of Town: 05-19-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old
05-19-2011, 06:55 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
are we awarding greening a spot preemtively before training camp?
Yes...

Why not? We really dont have that many options that can overtake him, and if by some miracle he isnt in the top 12, he is far better to keep as a 13th fwd than a guy like JOB who is still very young.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I can fit Shannon in with these two, plus Condra, plus Butler. But he has to be the 13th forward - which is fine!
Shannon should NOT be signed, Wick and O'Brien can fill the Shannon roll as call ups.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Yes...

Why not? We really dont have that many options that can overtake him, and if by some miracle he isnt in the top 12, he is far better to keep as a 13th fwd than a guy like JOB who is still very young.
100% agree, these guys showed they can play in the NHL, no use having them sit in Binghamton growing older.

I would expect more of the same type of announcement in the coming days.

Old
05-19-2011, 07:04 PM
HSF

excellent i want to see some of these bingo kids become key players for us next year. Dont want status quo... bye bye Shannon

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:16 PM
BK201

i don't get why people are upset. i'm pretty happy he signed, he probably took a hit on his salary to get a 1 way. you know it's gonna be like 2.1 over 3 years so stop worrying.

and who else is gonna be a left winger for us TBH. if he contributes as much as he did this year he can be a 40 point plus guy. not saying he will be just the potential is there.

which is as good or better than 90% of free agents this year and cheaper.

BK201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:17 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Shannon should NOT be signed, Wick and O'Brien can fill the Shannon roll as call ups.
Again, you need some veterans in the bottom six besides Neil.

Old
05-19-2011, 07:20 PM
BK201

Quote:

every contracts different thats like saying the guy at work got a raise don't i deserve the exact same thing at the exact same time?

it just doesn't work like that and fortunetely for greening we need a left wing and he is what were taking.

BK201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Very nice! You guy worrying about him slacking off don't know his character at all, one of the hardest, smartest young players we have in this organization. I love it!
Great signing I really like this player too & you are absolutely right he was one of the hardest workers at every development camp I attended. I noticed that in the Bingo playoffs that Greening & Z Smith (left Wingers) were taking all the faceoffs for their lines. Locke & Potulny (centers) didn't take any draws, I wonder if Ottawa intends on making these guys centers in Ottawa since Ottawa needs centers. Spezza, Greening, Z. Smith & Winchester down the middle has size, strength, toughness & they are all very good at faceoffs. I don't necessarily agree that Greening is a bottom six forward, why wouldn't he & Butler not go right back to playing with Spezza again on the top line?

I also love the Zack Smith signing & I assume that Butler is next to get something similar. I also expect that Condra may get a two way.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9 View Post
Entry level get 3 years. I don't see this as a huge deal, one way. As has been made clear, makes no difference in waivers, we have tons of cap, and I don't give a **** about money in bingo.

Smith got two years, is one more (for a better player) that big a deal?
Smith probably only wanted two years, I am sure Murray would have like to get him for 3 years as well.

Smith is only 23 and a two year deal gives him a shot at more money sooner.

Old
05-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Great signing I really like this player too & you are absolutely right he was one of the hardest workers at every development camp I attended. I noticed that in the Bingo playoffs that Greening & Z Smith (left Wingers) were taking all the faceoffs for their lines. Locke & Potulny (centers) didn't take any draws, I wonder if Ottawa intends on making these guys centers in Ottawa since Ottawa needs centers. Spezza, Greening, Z. Smith & Winchester down the middle has size, strength, toughness & they are all very good at faceoffs. Just a thought.
I think Greening will stay on the LW, Smith though will probably move to center.

Old
Hale The Villain

He's already a solid NHL player so I have no problem giving him a contract. Management giving him 3 years speaks how highly they think of him.

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Lexicon Devil

Quote:

Greening is clearly ahead of those players, and yes we are preemptively giving him a spot, because he would have to pass waivers and the whole organization from KK on up loves the guy and doesn't want to lose him for nothing in the off chance he has a bad camp, which knowing the guy's character they have confidence he won't.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:24 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Im happy for him, he gets his money regardless so good on him, and Im sure the cap hit won't be that bad at all, between 800k-1m I assume?

Hey, were in a rebuild, we need roster players for this rebuild on our main club, and Greening will be here for 3 of them most likely.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:26 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Great signing I really like this player too & you are absolutely right he was one of the hardest workers at every development camp I attended. I noticed that in the Bingo playoffs that Greening & Z Smith (left Wingers) were taking all the faceoffs for their lines. Locke & Potulny (centers) didn't take any draws, I wonder if Ottawa intends on making these guys centers in Ottawa since Ottawa needs centers. Spezza, Greening, Z. Smith & Winchester down the middle has size, strength, toughness & they are all very good at faceoffs. I don't necessarily agree that Greening is a bottom six forward, why wouldn't he & Butler not go right back to playing with Spezza again on the top line?

I also love the Zack Smith signing & I assume that Butler is next to get something similar. I also expect that Condra may get a two way.
Yeah Condra has to be taken care of as well, I assume they'll give him a 2-way though.