HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Statistics for next season

Old
05-19-2011, 04:59 PM
SMoneyMonkey

vCash: 500
Statistics for next season

I'm poking around at a new programming language (Scala), so I'm looking for interesting ideas to implement with it. One of these ideas is tracking hockey stats.

So, a few questions for that.

What stats would you be interested in keeping track of? By this I don't mean "Goals", I mean interesting stats that you think might reveal more about the players skill level. They need to be some method of stats made public somewhere. So "The amount of times a player adjusts his helmet" I won't be able to do but, something like "The amount of goals a player is on the ice for without getting a point for it" would be doable.

If this does become a site in the future, what functionality would you want? Legal stuff, of course. We all want a site that streams the game. Something like a compare chart you get when purchasing things would be an interesting feature I could do.

And third.... And this is embarrassing to ask considering what I wrote up there but... Where should I be drawing my stats from. There's got to be a more indepth stat place that what the nhl provides on it's site. Preferably easy to parse (Meaning I don't want to spend a month figuring out the perfect Reg Exp, not that it's easy to read by a human)

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Kings man 4 life

Would like to know how many goals scored against resulted from a Face-off lost in the defensive zone due to the center getting kicked out and a winger being put in.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:38 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
I'm poking around at a new programming language (Scala), so I'm looking for interesting ideas to implement with it. One of these ideas is tracking hockey stats.

So, a few questions for that.

What stats would you be interested in keeping track of? By this I don't mean "Goals", I mean interesting stats that you think might reveal more about the players skill level. They need to be some method of stats made public somewhere. So "The amount of times a player adjusts his helmet" I won't be able to do but, something like "The amount of goals a player is on the ice for without getting a point for it" would be doable.

If this does become a site in the future, what functionality would you want? Legal stuff, of course. We all want a site that streams the game. Something like a compare chart you get when purchasing things would be an interesting feature I could do.

And third.... And this is embarrassing to ask considering what I wrote up there but... Where should I be drawing my stats from. There's got to be a more indepth stat place that what the nhl provides on it's site. Preferably easy to parse (Meaning I don't want to spend a month figuring out the perfect Reg Exp, not that it's easy to read by a human)
Check out behindthenet.ca, that's a site that JT has recommended on here a few times and I'm beginning to follow them. There's a lot of interesting stuff on there that might give you some ideas for what you can do with stats.

Were you thinking of actually trying to generate raw data yourself? Like watching games and tracking breakout passes or whatever?

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:14 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
Check out behindthenet.ca, that's a site that JT has recommended on here a few times and I'm beginning to follow them. There's a lot of interesting stuff on there that might give you some ideas for what you can do with stats.

Were you thinking of actually trying to generate raw data yourself? Like watching games and tracking breakout passes or whatever?
No, just play around with what others generate. So, I'm looking for a place to get that raw data from.

This is what I'll be using for now:
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/PL030313.HTM

And the like. Any other suggestions would be wonderful

52k lines for a webpage... whyyyyyy?

Last edited by SMoneyMonkey: 05-19-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old
05-20-2011, 12:07 AM
CNS
A World Alone

How many shots Stoll misses per game.
How many of those weird shoulder fakes or whatever JJ does per game.
How many passes Smyth can't catch.

Seriously. I'd actually love numbers on these.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Timeouts called that lead to goals in the ensuing 2 minutes or so.

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 12:37 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Here are a couple, though I'm not sure how feasible they are:

Goals scored off giveaways (for the truly blunderous plays)
Goal differential in the last 10 minutes of the game (for conditioning arguments)
Consecutive missed shots (Getting credited for a missed shot more than once before getting a shot on goal)
Takeaways while trailing (to see who's "taking over" to try to win the game back)
Hits/Penalties ratio (a comparison of the number of hits a player makes without drawing a penalty)

It's hard to think of statistics you can look for that are already out there, but hopefully that gives you a few things you can work into your programming practice

Good luck!

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 02:13 AM
SMoneyMonkey

Hits/Penalties is an interesting one. Thanks for the ideas!

Old
05-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

goals scored against as a direct result of not getting the puck in deep at the blue line

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 04:02 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
Would like to know how many goals scored against resulted from a Face-off lost in the defensive zone due to the center getting kicked out and a winger being put in.
I think I can do that. At the very least I can figure out how many goals are scored after a face-off is lost because the winger took it instead of the center (Not positive it keeps track of centers getting kicked out but, I figure if there's a center on the ice and the winger is taking the face-off...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
How many shots Stoll misses per game.
How many of those weird shoulder fakes or whatever JJ does per game.
How many passes Smyth can't catch.

Seriously. I'd actually love numbers on these.
I would, too. Unfortunately, I can only do the first. I can see how much more the puck is iced with certain players on the ice... Might actually be an interesting stat. Icing +/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Timeouts called that lead to goals in the ensuing 2 minutes or so.
I'm pretty sure I can do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Here are a couple, though I'm not sure how feasible they are:

Goals scored off giveaways (for the truly blunderous plays)
Goal differential in the last 10 minutes of the game (for conditioning arguments)
Consecutive missed shots (Getting credited for a missed shot more than once before getting a shot on goal)
Takeaways while trailing (to see who's "taking over" to try to win the game back)
Hits/Penalties ratio (a comparison of the number of hits a player makes without drawing a penalty)

It's hard to think of statistics you can look for that are already out there, but hopefully that gives you a few things you can work into your programming practice

Good luck!
Not sure about the first, can do the second, can do the third but I'm not sure how accurate the stats I'm working with will be, not sure about the fourth and the last I think I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
goals scored against as a direct result of not getting the puck in deep at the blue line
Really wish I could do this and I'll try to figure out some way to. It would be a really interesting stat considering I can think of four or five times it happened off the top of my head.

I don't know how long it'll take me to do this but, I'll get back to you as soon as I have it ready. Also, parsing the NHL's page is horrible. Rawr.

Old
05-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
This would severely effect the amount of money Ryan Smyth will sign for next summer.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 05:15 AM
Starlight

Shots taken (per player) that missed the net (aka. the Jack Johnson-stat). Also shots taken (per player) that were blocked.

Just what came to mind when seeing this topic...

Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 11:45 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

It sounds like this might be more valuable to generate team stats than individual stats.

One stat that you might be able to generate would be some kind of a maturity index, i.e. how often does a team get scored upon within say 1 minute of an unsuccessful power play or how often do they score within one minute of a successful penalty kill factored in with the readily available "leading after one period", etc. stats

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Shots taken (per player) that missed the net
Should be called the Jarret Stoll stat.

Quote:
the Jack Johnson-stat
Should be the Plus/Minus stat.

Quote:
Also shots taken (per player) that were blocked.
Is most definitely the Matt Greene stat.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Shots taken (per player) that missed the net (aka. the Jack Johnson-stat). Also shots taken (per player) that were blocked.

Just what came to mind when seeing this topic...
Piggybacking on your idea, something similar to the NBA shot chart that shows where a shot was taken (how far out from the goalie) and whether it missed, hit the net, or went in could be created.

If you go to the Box Score for each game and click on the Stats link, you get to view the Game Report that gives you the option to select a feature called the Full Play-by-Play.

For example:

22 1 EV 2:23
17:37 SHOT L.A ONGOAL - #2 GREENE, Slap, Neu. Zone, 80 ft.

This tells you that Matt Greene took an 80 foot slapshot from the neutral zone that was on target.

403 4 EV 8:02
11:58 MISS L.A #28 STOLL, Wrist, Wide of Net, Off. Zone, 21 ft.

Or that Stoll missed the net from 21 feet out.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:57 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
403 4 EV 8:02
11:58 MISS L.A #28 STOLL, Wrist, Wide of Net, Off. Zone, 21 ft.
I bet that wasn't hard to find

Still devising a way to sort the information concisely. I can't decide if I want to keep a database of all the 'events' or how I'd want to sort it..

Old
05-27-2011, 06:07 PM
yankeeking

maybe track who is on the ice, individual or line, when we give up a goal right after scoring one, we do it so often there has to be a trend

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 06:13 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
maybe track who is on the ice, individual or line, when we give up a goal right after scoring one, we do it so often there has to be a trend
Ahaha, that might be revealing.

Keep in mind, I will not make public any stat that indicates I may ever have been wrong about something! So if, for instance, Lewis (who I love defensively) happens to show up a lot with that stat, I'm not showing it Richardson on the other hand..

Old
05-27-2011, 06:26 PM
yankeeking

lol.....but we are on the same page

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
I would like to see a stat how many goals against Jack Johnson when he is not really involved.
I noticed that 80 % of his goals against happen when he just jumped over the board into the game.

2nd stat i would like to see is when is actually a year counting.
I learned that 5 years are actually 3.

3rd stat would be how many times Murrays answeers with "we did the little things right"

4th stat would be: How many goals did the Kings score after Murray said in an interview we are sticking to our system.

5th stat: how many goals were scored by a player who is pinned to the board in the corner. (i can just think of Loktionov's first goal)

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 12:45 AM
volcom92886

The amount of times someone goes offsides.

I bet simmonds wins this one!

volcom92886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 02:49 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Should be called the Jarret Stoll stat.

Actually Jack Johnson is worse. Jack is the second worst in the entire NHL at fly-byes.

Jack missed 105 of 258, Stoll missed 73 of 260.

So I would call it the Jack Johnson stat

Jack : http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

Stoll : http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?service=p...ssedShots&pg=3

Last edited by alpa: 05-29-2011 at 11:34 PM.
alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:22 AM
DontgoZiggy

How about some sort of shooting percentage for each player depending on their location on the ice. It would be quite interesting to see where individual players are most effective at scoring goals from. Perhaps compiling a list of each player assisting for individual goal scorers would be good too. You could look back after a season and say perhaps Kopitar was most effective at scoring goals from point (a) on the ice and scored 18 of his 33 goals when the last assist was to ..... Or there's no point Brown shooting from point (b) because he only gets a goal 2% of the time. It might be a nuisance to figure out though.

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote