HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ik Kovy signs elsewhere in the 3-3.5M$ range, what draft pick do Habs get?

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2004, 09:32 AM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
Ik Kovy signs elsewhere in the 3-3.5M$ range, what draft pick do Habs get?

When Habs gave Balej AND a 2nd Rounder for Kovy, it was always assumed that they would get another 2nd rounder as compensation, should Kovy sign elsewhere as a UFA, so the assumption was that the only real price for the "rental", if it turned out to be a rental, would be Balej.

As I believe the Round in which the compensation pick falls is based on the salary paid to the UFA by his new team, do Habs actually get a 2nd Rounder if Kovy signs in the 3-3.5M$ range with another team or does this lower-than-expected salary due to new market condition mean the pick slips to a 3rd or 4th Rounder?

Thanks for the info.

Old
07-15-2004, 09:46 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10
When Habs gave Balej AND a 2nd Rounder for Kovy, it was always assumed that they would get another 2nd rounder as compensation, should Kovy sign elsewhere as a UFA, so the assumption was that the only real price for the "rental", if it turned out to be a rental, would be Balej.

As I believe the Round in which the compensation pick falls is based on the salary paid to the UFA by his new team, do Habs actually get a 2nd Rounder if Kovy signs in the 3-3.5M$ range with another team or does this lower-than-expected salary due to new market condition mean the pick slips to a 3rd or 4th Rounder?

Thanks for the info.
The copensatory pick is based on alot of different things, salary is one, but they have a complex method of looking at a bunch of things. Stanley Cup wins, individual awards, etc. are all brought into consideration when determining the compensation picks. Also it depends on the amount the team losing the player spends on UFA's as well. If we don't resign Kovalev, but end up signing a couple other UFA's for let's say $3-$4M each, I don't think we would get ANY pick for losing Kovalev.

Old
07-15-2004, 10:39 AM
merlin

that would make a rental player quite expensive no? Balej and a second for a few weeks. Any idea if this can impact prospective UFA signings by Montreal? Figure however we sign, would also cost us the compensatory pick.

Old
07-15-2004, 10:44 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
that would make a rental player quite expensive no? Balej and a second for a few weeks. Any idea if this can impact prospective UFA signings by Montreal? Figure however we sign, would also cost us the compensatory pick.
Man... It was worth it just to beat Boston!

Old
07-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
We indeed destroyed Boston. Now that Rolston and Knuble is gone. Murray is going and Thornton has conflict with the management. All in all Balej is still a prospect and Graham is a long shot to make it to NHL. I would say it worths it as well.

Old
07-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
We indeed destroyed Boston. Now that Rolston and Knuble is gone. Murray is going and Thornton has conflict with the management. All in all Balej is still a prospect and Graham is a long shot to make it to NHL. I would say it worths it as well.
Graham?????

Did you mean to say.....Garon????

Old
07-15-2004, 11:16 AM
The n00b King *

i would think Graham, as in Graham the goalie

Old
07-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I'd take it into consideration if I was GM, anyway. Relatively minor consideration, but a potential 2nd rounder is nothing to sneeze at either. We'll still have compensation amounts for Perreault and Dowd too, though. And we can only get a max of 2 picks, so we have a bit of overhead to work with.

Old
07-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin_goon
i would think Graham, as in Graham the goalie
Bruce Graham, the guy the Rangers picked with the 2nd rounder we gave up in the deal.

Old
07-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

I wouldn't say destroyed Boston, it was a seven game series and the last game was close

Anyways, Joe filed for arbitration which makes it mor elikely he is staying, sorry if I crushed some of your hopes

Anyways, you should get a 2nd round pick is he produces well. Look at Boston. If Rolston and Knuble produce season like they had last year, and if Murray signs elsewhere, we could have up to three second round picks, possibly three more Bergerons

Old
07-15-2004, 12:14 PM
obcd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
I wouldn't say destroyed Boston, it was a seven game series and the last game was close

Anyways, Joe filed for arbitration which makes it mor elikely he is staying, sorry if I crushed some of your hopes

Anyways, you should get a 2nd round pick is he produces well. Look at Boston. If Rolston and Knuble produce season like they had last year, and if Murray signs elsewhere, we could have up to three second round picks, possibly three more Bergerons
or three Henry Kuster (Boston's 2nd rounder in 1996)

Old
07-15-2004, 12:43 PM
ifesfor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
A hockey puck=1 $
a hockey stick=50 $
a hockey t-shirt= 150$
trading Balej+ a 2nd rounder to get Kovalev and get this kovalev help us out to beat the Boston Bruins=PRICELESS

Old
07-15-2004, 01:01 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
The compensation pick formula is quite complicated, but I am not sure that the combination of losing Rolston, Knuble and Murray will be an automatic max of two extra second rounders. The league might very well judge them at a lower level of compensation (they seem stingy on those second round compensation picks) and it also would be offset if Boston is active in the UFA market this summer and signs some replacement players for those three. In which case, the # of compensation picks would reduce as well. It's fun trying to guess!!

Old
07-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Squeaky

I'm sure the new CBA is going to have an effect on this as well. They're going to have to adjust the contract amounts needed to get certain level picks, because contracts are going to be smaller.

Old
07-15-2004, 01:39 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
I'm sure the new CBA is going to have an effect on this as well. They're going to have to adjust the contract amounts needed to get certain level picks, because contracts are going to be smaller.

Those signing are part of the current CBA. That won't change.

Old
07-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
Those signing are part of the current CBA. That won't change.
But won't the picks be awarded under the next CBA? And the original signing was under the current CBA, but Kovalev will probably be resigned under the next CBA.

Old
07-15-2004, 04:20 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
The compensation pick formula is quite complicated, but I am not sure that the combination of losing Rolston, Knuble and Murray will be an automatic max of two extra second rounders. The league might very well judge them at a lower level of compensation (they seem stingy on those second round compensation picks) and it also would be offset if Boston is active in the UFA market this summer and signs some replacement players for those three. In which case, the # of compensation picks would reduce as well. It's fun trying to guess!!
Well, considering that Boston will most probably skip signing any free agents, our compensation can be high. Also, I wasn't guessing. We have been losing free agents for years and I am aware of the compensation factor. Just because I'm a bruins fan doesn't mean I guess everything.

Old
07-15-2004, 06:45 PM
db23

I think the compensation picks are awarded in relation to the contracts of other free agent signings. If Kovalev ends up as the most highly paid free agent departure next season, Montreal would get a second round pick close to the one they gave up (#51 overall). If he is the second highest F.A. they would get a later second rounder, etc., etc. If he is the fifth or sixth highest, the compensation would be mid third round. All of that can go out the door if Montreal signs a comparable free agent from another team as well.

The best case scenario if Kovalev signs elsewhere, say at $4.5 million, is that he likely would be the third highest contract and Montreal would get a late second round pick (#65 overall). Realistically they can't expect more than that. But once you get into that territory, it's a crap shoot anyway.

Closed Thread