HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg group has deal to buy, move Atlanta Thrashers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2011, 08:17 PM
  #176
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go david krejci 430 View Post
Well, they were ok with it enough that they're willing to do this for another season. I think Glendale sends $25M back to the NHL at the end of the season.

As it turns out though, I think it became a choice between Phoenix and Atlanta, and I know there were people during the season that felt Atlanta was much more in danger despite all the shenanigans going on in Phoenix. I don't think the league will take another year of this in Phoenix beyond next season, but I, like most, thought that last year before they decided to do it again. It looks like it's still going to be easier to work this out with an impatient Hulsizer than ASG who were going to find a way to pull the plug one way or the other.
There is a difference btwn being willing to do something and being okay with it. Not to mention you have some weak franchises that aren't going to be throwing the Yotes under the bus just for their own skin potentially.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:36 PM
  #177
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,325
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
There is a difference btwn being willing to do something and being okay with it. Not to mention you have some weak franchises that aren't going to be throwing the Yotes under the bus just for their own skin potentially.
True, I don't see Phoenix going another season like this. Maybe.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:03 PM
  #178
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go david krejci 430 View Post
True, I don't see Phoenix going another season like this. Maybe.
At some point someone needs to speak out publicly... The only NBA owner to do so in a similar situation was Cuban.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:48 PM
  #179
Flyersfan139
Registered User
 
Flyersfan139's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Exton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,972
vCash: 500
How do you guys think they will shuffle the divisions after this year?

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:02 PM
  #180
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 41,385
vCash: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 View Post
How do you guys think they will shuffle the divisions after this year?
The popularity and appeal of Detroit might actually repel any desires by them to move East, most certainly because teams in the West may be reluctant to lose that home draw. A switch by Nashville or Columbus would be less intrusive. There is a time zone (Central) factor with Nashville but that could be the least disruptive of the obvious possibilities. It would be peculiar to have a team nicknamed the Blue Jackets in the Southeast.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:05 PM
  #181
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
3rd highest ticket average in the league. I'm surprised they're asking that much, I would think they would want to be a lot more reasonable for the return. How long will they be supported by being an average team at best with those prices? And with the owner saying they'll spend somewhere in the middle of the salary cap range, makes you wonder how long the honeymoon will last.
Supply and demand. They can charge a higher price because people will pay a higher price. At least for now.

Take a look at the Leafs' prices. And you can't buy a damn ticket, unless you hit it exactly right.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:19 PM
  #182
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I prefer Manitoba.
It won't sit well with the Canadian fan base.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:24 PM
  #183
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,325
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Supply and demand. They can charge a higher price because people will pay a higher price. At least for now.

Take a look at the Leafs' prices. And you can't buy a damn ticket, unless you hit it exactly right.
And the arena is still half-empty. The suits buy them and then don't bother to show up..or give them to someone else.


Winnipeg has a 15-year itch to scratch, so they'll get away with it. Plus, since they don't have the arena size, they have to make up for it somehow. Supposedly this arena was built so they could expand if they have to, but I haven't heard any talk about that. Bettman's threat of Winnipeg needing to sell out every night, is because a sell out for Winnipeg would be a disappointing night for the Flyers.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:24 PM
  #184
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,502
vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Supply and demand. They can charge a higher price because people will pay a higher price. At least for now.

Take a look at the Leafs' prices. And you can't buy a damn ticket, unless you hit it exactly right.
You're right with S&D and they will get it for now. But it sounds like a bad business decision at the jump. Seems like business suicide, the chances seem greater that the people will sour faster with the prices and current product versus building the base again with more attractive pricing with promise of success.

healthyscratch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:28 PM
  #185
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,325
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
You're right with S&D and they will get it for now. But it sounds like a bad business decision at the jump. Seems like business suicide, the chances seem greater that the people will sour faster with the prices and current product versus building the base again with more attractive pricing with promise of success.
They'll stick with it for a while. Some of these people don't want to be alive should the time come that the team moves out of Winnipeg again.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:44 PM
  #186
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go david krejci 430 View Post
And the arena is still half-empty. The suits buy them and then don't bother to show up..or give them to someone else.


Winnipeg has a 15-year itch to scratch, so they'll get away with it. Plus, since they don't have the arena size, they have to make up for it somehow. Supposedly this arena was built so they could expand if they have to, but I haven't heard any talk about that. Bettman's threat of Winnipeg needing to sell out every night, is because a sell out for Winnipeg would be a disappointing night for the Flyers.
What arena is half empty? The ACC???

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:50 PM
  #187
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,325
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
What arena is half empty? The ACC???
Yeah, I was under the impression that the seats get bought, but they don't show. Mainly in the lower bowl, I should have been more clear.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:00 PM
  #188
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go david krejci 430 View Post
Yeah, I was under the impression that the seats get bought, but they don't show. Mainly in the lower bowl, I should have been more clear.
You're off by a lot, they do take longer to fill on some nights but generally the arena is full. They arrive late and leave for the sushi bar before the period ends but it's not like there are a lot of empty seats in the platinum section.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:01 PM
  #189
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 43,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The popularity and appeal of Detroit might actually repel any desires by them to move East, most certainly because teams in the West may be reluctant to lose that home draw. A switch by Nashville or Columbus would be less intrusive. There is a time zone (Central) factor with Nashville but that could be the least disruptive of the obvious possibilities. It would be peculiar to have a team nicknamed the Blue Jackets in the Southeast.

Haha, I guess they can always change their name to The Damned Yankees.

I wouldn't be shocked if they moved Columbus into the Atlantic and then shifted Pittsburgh into SE to live with the Caps. The NHL clearly wants an OV-Crosby rivalry something fierce...I bet they'd lose their minds over the prospects of an OV-Crosby-Stamkos rivalry.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:02 PM
  #190
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go david krejci 430 View Post
Yeah, I was under the impression that the seats get bought, but they don't show. Mainly in the lower bowl, I should have been more clear.
They do get filled up - the suits just don't get there before the game starts. But by halfway through the first period, it's pretty much full.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 07:05 AM
  #191
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,325
vCash: 50
Oh ok, I'm wrong then. Influenced by all the punchlines.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:53 AM
  #192
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
They do get filled up - the suits just don't get there before the game starts. But by halfway through the first period, it's pretty much full.
They also hang out in the bars and whatnot behind the seats a fair amount.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:09 PM
  #193
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 33,150
vCash: 50
i am not a season ticket holder to the Flyers but I was wondering if there is a contract you have to sign where you have to keep your seat x amount of years?. I think they said the STH in Winnipeg are going to have to sign off to keep their seats for 3-5 years depending where there seat is. I honestly have never heard of that.
i dont think those prices are too bad. Maybe the upper bowl average is a bit high but 105 bucks to sit in the lower bowl seems to be a pretty fair price to me.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:16 PM
  #194
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
i am not a season ticket holder to the Flyers but I was wondering if there is a contract you have to sign where you have to keep your seat x amount of years?. I think they said the STH in Winnipeg are going to have to sign off to keep their seats for 3-5 years depending where there seat is. I honestly have never heard of that.
i dont think those prices are too bad. Maybe the upper bowl average is a bit high but 105 bucks to sit in the lower bowl seems to be a pretty fair price to me.
I understand that there is a fee, refundable if/when the tickets are not renewed at the end of the term, that guarantees the pricing for a 3-5 year period (the term and cost of the fee is based on where the seats are located). It's a bit of a cash grab but could turn out to be a good investment, depending on how ticket prices go in the next couple of years. Could also turn out to be a lot of money down the tubes.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:27 PM
  #195
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 33,150
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I understand that there is a fee, refundable if/when the tickets are not renewed at the end of the term, that guarantees the pricing for a 3-5 year period (the term and cost of the fee is based on where the seats are located). It's a bit of a cash grab but could turn out to be a good investment, depending on how ticket prices go in the next couple of years. Could also turn out to be a lot of money down the tubes.
i think they said yesterday they promise not to raise ticket prices by more then 3 percent for the duration of the contract for your seat. I am sure there will be many cases of what Benny is doing. Something that i would no doubt do if I lived in the Philly area.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:28 PM
  #196
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Does anyone thunk the Flyers might be moved into the Southeast division? If Winnipeg stays in the East they will likely be in the Northeast. Then one of the Bruins Sabres Sens leafs or Habs will move to the Atlantic. And since were the most Southern Atlantic division team it just begs the question.

That's all crazy speculation really. I doubt the NHL will take away a lot of it's rivalries.
That's never going to happen.

They should just swap Atlanta-peg with Nashville. Nashville should be in the Southeast anyway, and it puts Winnipeg in the Central division with Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis and Columbus.

Possibly then flip Minnesota and Winnipeg for geography purposes.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:40 PM
  #197
Opus
Boondoggle
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
They also hang out in the bars and whatnot behind the seats a fair amount.
Indeed. Lord Stanley's Mug.

...because there is nothing more refreshing than a $14 beer.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
  #198
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Indeed. Lord Stanley's Mug.

...because there is nothing more refreshing than a $14 beer.
But it is a pretty good bar area. And not that much more obscenely priced than in the concourses.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:46 PM
  #199
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Indeed. Lord Stanley's Mug.

...because there is nothing more refreshing than a $14 beer.
For $14, you should be getting 24pk of cans of the cheap stuff to drink at home. That's more refreshing then a 20oz of the cheap stuff in the stadium.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:46 PM
  #200
Opus
Boondoggle
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
But it is a pretty good bar area. And not that much more obscenely priced than in the concourses.
It's pretty good.

A beer from there and a hotdog from Burkies Doghouse and you're all good to go...$25 later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
For $14, you should be getting 24pk of cans of the cheap stuff to drink at home. That's more refreshing then a 20oz of the cheap stuff in the stadium.
You can't buy 24 cans for $14 in Canada (I don't think).

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.