HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

DousedInOil's 4th Annual Draft Rankings

Old
05-19-2011, 08:52 PM
DousedInOil

vCash: 500
DousedInOil's 4th Annual Draft Rankings

DOUSEDINOIL'S 4TH ANNUAL DRAFT RANKINGS

2010: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=780117
2009: Still trying to locate haha
2008: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=522745

With back to back first overall picks it has become apparent that the Oilers are well along in their path to build a dynasty. I still might make a couple of minor changes and what not but I figure that with the board being as slow as it has been (and since I don't have anymore picks in the first four rounds of the HFOIL mock game) that I could release my rankings a month prior to the actual draft. As usual my draft rankings wouldn't be epic without some sweet music. Enjoy! I appreciate any input!

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: Center
Height: 6'0.5" Weight: 164lbs
Red Deer Rebels (WHL): 69GP 31G 75A 106P
NHL Comparable: Pavel Datsyuk/Joe Sakic
Projection: Franchise Center
Quote:
The Skinny:
I know that I had Tyler Seguin ranked first last year, but to be fair I did say that Taylor Hall would be the better player this year and that he would be more dyanmic. I don't want to talk too much about Seguin (as Boston fans are out in full force after his 4 point performance) so i'll try and keep this skinny about RNH. I think that RNH not only fills a huge void down the middle but he is also the most dynamic player in the draft. His vision is second to none and he is just so elusive that no one can ever throw him off his game. He has an unbelieveable shot, can dish the puck from anywhere on the ice, has creativity just oozing out and the top end acceleration that makes defending teams cry. He also has unmatched poise with the puck and is a great leader on and off the ice. He might not be as vocal as a guy like Landeskog but he is well respected and is always making something happen when he touches the puck. RNH, Hopkins, Hopper or whatever you want to call him, is an elite talent that Edmonton Oiler fans should be estatic to pick on June 24th.

Having said all that, Nugent-Hopkins still needs to bulk and could be the first player picked first overall to be sent back to junior in a long, long time. I don't think its a bad idea for him to go back to Red Deer but after his 106 point performance i'm not sure he has a whole lot left to learn at the WHL. He really just needs to hit the gym. Besides, if you tell him that he can't play in the NHL level next year you are just going to motivate him to do so. It seems like every time someone tells him he can't do something he just works that much harder to prove the critics wrong. I think that RNH will look amazing setting up Hall and Eberle, as both are naturally goal scorers. Its a dream come true to have a natural playmaker lining up between them. IOn any level, it just makes sense to take a player who is rated 1st by every single scouting first overall.

2. Adam Larsson: Defence
Height: 6'3" Weight: 200lbs
Skelleftea HC (SEL): 37GP 1G 8A 9P
NHL Comparable: Nick Lidstrom/ Erik Johnson
Projection: Franchise Defenceman
Quote:
The Skinny:
Adam Larsson could very well be the best defensive defenceman that the SEL has ever seen. It's not very often that you are going to score against him and we are just starting to see his potential. Although I wish Skelleftea's coaching staff used him in more of an offensive role this season, it is still obvious that he has crisp breakout passes and always puts the puck tape to tape. He is also very physical for a player his size and is willing to jump up to make the big hit. Although he has been burned a couple of times, I like to see that he is capable of jumping up and adding that physical dimension to his game. Larsson also adds a very strong slap shot to his arsenal. He could already quarterback a powerplay in the SEL and probably the NHL. If David Runbland wasn't so good at it, his point totals would have sky-rocketed this year.

As far as the Oilers are concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if they selected him 1st overall. Players like Larsson don't come along very often and their is still a huge need to add a blue chip blueliner into the current group of prospects that Edmonton has. He may not have the same immediate results that Couturier/Landeskog and even RNH would bring but long term. He will be a very interesting prospect that will always be the guy that "we passed on". At this point I don't think Edmonton can lose picking either one of these kids. Given the success rate of defenceman in the past, the need for a center, and the question marks surrounding Larssons offensive game I think that Edmonton will still go with the western Canadian kid in Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Larsson would look great beside Erik Johnson but Colorado might pass on him as well to add a forward.

3. Gabriel Landeskog: Left Wing
Height: 6'0.5" Weight: 207lbs
Kitchener Rangers (OHL): 53GP 36G 30A 66P
NHL Comparable: Brendan Morrow/ Mike Richards
Projection: 1st line two-way goal scoring winger
Quote:
The Skinny:
The captain of the Kitchener Rangers could have scored 50 goals in the OHL this year if he wasn't too busy working on his defensive side of the game, sticking up for teammates and played a full season. Sure, he doesn't have the prettiest shot in the leauge and doesn't necessarily have an elite level skillset but he does everything well and always knows where to be on the ice. Players like Landeskog don't grow on trees and he should be a captain at the NHL level as well. He might not be dynamic enough to be a consistent goal scoring threat at the NHL and when he plays against elite level goaltenders his shot won't be as effective. However, if he works on his shot he has a good chance to be a Mike Richards/Brendan Morrow clutch goal scorer.

Landeskog obviously has a great work ethic, is an amazing player to have in the locker room and one of a kind. He could certainly go first overall but given Edmonton's depth on the wing it is highly unlikely. I think he brings a lot more to a team then his individual skillset and could really be the glue to brings a team together. I don't know if you can put a price tag on something like that. He is a very safe pick this early in the draft but could end up being a Ryan Smyth type player that never really becomes an elite NHL player.

4. Dougie Hamilton: Defence
Height: 6'4.25" Weight: 187lbs
Niagra Ice Dogs (OHL): 67GP 12G 46A 58P
NHL Comparable: Alexander Pietrangelo
Projection: #1 two-way defenceman and powerplay quarterback
Quote:
The Skinny:
Probably the first big surprise on the list is Niagra's Dougie Hamitlon. I mean, here we have a defenceman who plays an upwards of 40+ minutes a night, kills penalties, plays on the powerplay and does it all with very little help from his fellow blueliners. He is basically a one man defence and is an absolute work horse. He has the gene's and frame to be an absolute beast in the NHL and a tremendous dedication to both hockey and school on and off the ice. Hamilton is truly a student of the game and IMO will develop a mean streak when he is put in a role with less minutes and up against tougher opposition. Right now Hamilton is doing too much and would look amazing with a smaller workload.

He might not have the hands and speed that a guy like Ryan Murphy has but with his frame and 58 points he provides a whole lot of offence without the risk that Murphy has. He has already surpassed Pietrangelo at the same age (who was once named the top prospect outside the NHL) and will be an anchor for any NHL team. I would still like to see Hamilton shoot the puck a little bit more and just improve all areas of his game a bit but he is already ready to jump right into the NHL at this point. He could even be better than Adam Larsson in a couple years. He is certainly the more complete package.

5. Sean Couturier: Center
Height: 6'4" Weight: 197lbs
Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL): 58GP 36G 60A 96P
NHL Comparable: Jordan Staal/Rick Nash
Projection: 1st line two-way center
Quote:
The Skinny:
Once considered the top prospect in this years draft, its hard to think that his draft status has slipped outside the top 5. Yes, I have him ranked 5th but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the more dynamic Huberdeau pass Couturier on draft day- that is unless Tallon picks up the big bulking center 3rd overall. Center's with his size don't come along often and he still produced at a 1.65 point/game ratio. This is actually higher then Huberdeau's regular season production. Having said all that, he is the better two way player, pay attention to details and can hit like a truck. Of all the players in the draft he is also probably the most NHL ready.

Couturier has a very underrated shot and is able to lure defencemen to him and setup his teammates with ease. He doesn't have a whole lot missing from his game but doesn't have that explosiveness and creativity that scouts are looking for in a 1st overall pick. At some point scouts are going to have to stop falling into the hype of other players and realize that they are being overly critical of Sean's game. He also has the right attitude and character that is needed to be an NHL pro. He doesn't let rankings and comments get to him. He plays his game and can adapt to any role that the coach is willing to give him.

6. Jonathan Huberdeau: Left Wing
Height: 6'1.25" Weight: 170lbs
Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL): 67GP 43G 62A 105P
NHL Comparable: Jeff Carter / Patrice Bergeron
Projection: 1st line offensive winger
Quote:
The Skinny:
You are going to notice a trend in this years draft that some players rated as low as 8 have a very good chance at being selected in the top 5. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Jonathan Huberdeau selected by the Colorado Avalanche as eary as 2nd overall. The numbers that Jonathan has put up in the regular season were followed up by a very impressive post season where he has accumulated 30 points in 19 playoff games. He is obviously the most talented player on the St.John Sea Dogs this year and it is very likely that they win it all at the memorial cup finals. We could argue all day if he is producing because he plays with Beaulieu, Phillips, Jurco, etc. but at the end of the day it's not very often that a player goes all the way to the memorial cup final with the types of numbers that Huberdeau has.

I think he could be a very special player down the road but right now he is just too skinny for the style of game he plays. Huberdeau is used to walking right into the slot and passing through defenders with ease at the QMJHL level. He has a lot of room to use his soft handles and can dangle in a phone booth. I'm not sold that he will be able to translate his game over as easily as a guy like Couturier. In many ways he is the opposite of Couturier. He needs to prove he can handle the physical side of the game and play a simplier style of game that can translate to the NHL if he is going to be star in this league.

7. Ryan Murphy: Defence
Height: 5'10.5" Weight: 166lbs
Kitchener Rangers (OHL): 63GP 26G 53A 79P
NHL Comparable: Paul Coffey / Brian Rafalski
Projection: #2 puckmoving defenceman
Quote:
The Skinny:
It kills me to have Ryan Murphy this low in the list after his great U-18 performance. Whoever gets him is in for a steal. I mean, he could easily be a top 5 pick this year but he doesn't have a whole lot of fans these days. He is an exceptional skater and can change the dynamic of any NHL blueline. He is a one man powerplay with a boomer of a shot. He can skate the puck end to end and has a chance at become the most dynamic player in the draft. No one else in the draft has his unique skillset. Sometimes when you watch him you can't help but think that this guy is a pioneer of the game. I'm not too sure why scouts are always comparing him to Ellis as he is much faster but less gritty. Rather, he avoids the physical play by anticipating the play and outskating opposing forwards. Drew Doughty isn't much taller and plays a similar style but Murphy is going to have to work hit the gym and put on muscle before he is ready at the NHL level. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him jump right into the NHL next year with the numbers he already put up but it couldn't hurt his long term development to stay in the Ontario Hockey League one more year.

Having said all that he still has a concern with his size (which I think is somewhat overrated) but lets face it, NHL teams are looking for big hulking defenceman instead of defencemen that are made for the new NHL. Murphy is a "niche" player that has been written off defensively even though he spent all year working on that side of the game. I could see a few GM's making a big mistake and letting him slip outside the top 10.

8. Ryan Strome: Center
Height: 6'0" Weight: 175lbs
Niagra Ice Dogs (OHL): 67GP 33G 73A 106P
NHL Comparable: Sam Gagner / Niklas Backstrom
Projection: 1st line playmkaing center/winger
Quote:
The Skinny:
Yes, I realize that Ryan Strome posted the same number of points that both Tyler Seguin and Taylor Hall did last year. Yet, he is rated 8th overall on my list. Sure, he can produce points but i'm not completely sold on his ability to translate his game to the NHL. He has decent size, an amazing shot and is very deceptive but he won't be able to dangle through defencemen at the NHL level. It also remains to be seen if he will be a center at the NHL level or be moved to the wing because of his size. Strome will have to really hit the gym in order to be successful but does have a lot of talent and the right work ethic. You also can't deny his soft hands and scoring touch around the net.

Strome is certainly a project that needs to fine tune his abilities. He needs to learn how to work along board, win more faceoffs and put himself in the right position defensively. He has all the talent in the world offensively but needs to make sure he is good enough defensively to stick in the NHL. Strome could very well be the best player in the draft but if i'm drafting early I don't see Strome as a guy who can either jump right into the NHL or a guy that has the best long term potential either. He doesn't have the same elusiveness that RNH has but his shot is world class. Having said all that I still really like Strome and think his ranking is just a testament to this years draft class. It may not produce any franchise players but it will have a bunch of solid NHLers in the near future.

9. Mika Zibanejad: Center
Height: 6'1.5" Weight: 191lbs
Djurgården (SEL): 26GP 5G 4A 9P
NHL Comparable: Jacob Josefson / Marian Hossa
Projection: 1st line two-way winger or 2nd line center
Quote:
The Skinny:
Mika Zibanejad is definitely a kid to watch on draft day. If their was a prospect that had a chance to break inside the top 8, it would be Zibanejad. He is a stud defensively, can produce offensively, has a sick skillset and loves to throw the big hit. He is a forward that defencemen have to keep their eye on but still hard to judge as he has been playing against men in the SEL for the past season. He is already physically ready for the NHL but should definitely be given more time to work on his skills before coming overseas. He is a real powerfoward that still has soft hands and a willingness to drive to the net. He is exciting to watch but had limited opportunity playing on Djurgården's third line.

Having said that, playing on the third line has really help Zibanejad work on the details. He has become an ace on the faceoff circle and knows all the little things he has to do to win a hockey game. Once he is full flight he can be very hard to handle for the opposition. The fact that he oozes potential but leaves scouts wanting more could really help or hinder him on draft day. ISS obviously loves his potential and has him rated as high as 6th. He could really be a steal if falls with all the talent that he has. He shows a lot of character and poise for a prospect with a very late birthday. A wild card in the top 10 for sure.

10. Duncan Siemens: Defence
Height: 6'2.5" Weight: 192lbs
Saskatoon Blades (WHL): 72GP 5G 38A 43P
NHL Comparable: Luke Schenn / Scott Stevens
Projection: #2 shutdown defenceman
Quote:
The Skinny:
Although Siemens doesn't have the vision and soft hands of some of the other defencemen in the first round, he has an attitude that you can't teach. He loves to throw big hits, stand up for his teammates and piss off opposing forwards. He takes tremendous pride in his +40 rating on the back end and his 121 PIM. I still think he has a better first pass and hockey sense then a guy like Luke Schenn but he is still a very young defenceman in a tough league. Despite his age he is an intimadating force on the blueline that makes you pay for every inch of ice. He isn't overy offensive but he can still move the puck, get shots through to the net and play on the powerplay when needed.

Siemens already prides himself in shutting down teams top lines and was even able to shutdown the Bartschi-Rattie-Johansen-Nino combo from portland to zero points early on in the year. For someone who isn't going to put up a ton of points, his 43 points in 72GP was only third behind Joe Morrow and Myles Bell in this years draft class. He learned a lot playing beside Stefan Elliott for the Saskatoon blades and even played with fellow Oilers prospect Curtis Hamilton. Should the Oilers get a chance to draft Siemens, he is always the style of defenceman that teams look for. He has really worked on his footspeed and is fast for a bigger guy. It also doesn't hurt that he is a Sherwood Park native.

11. Sven Bartschi: Left Wing
Height: 5'10" Weight: 181lbs
Portland Winterhawks (WHL): 66GP 34G 51A 85P
NHL Comparable: Marian Gaborik / Jordan Eberle
Projection: 1st line offensive winger
Quote:
The Skinny:
The Swiss players just keep coming. Bartschi plays a very tenacious and diverse game. At only 5'10" he isn't the biggest guy but he has a good center of balance and plays a lot bigger then he actually is. He finishes his hits and consistently produces for the Portland Winterhawks. Bartschi was only held pointless 5 times this regular season and didn't look out of place with former first round picks Ryan Johansen and Nino Niederreiter. Although the team he is playing on may have elevated his point totals, its hard to argue against his point totals. Bartschi was second on his team in points juring the playoffs and third during the regular season.

If a team is able to take Bartschi just outside the top 10 and Ty Rattie either late in the first or early in the second they could have a very dynamic duo going forward. Although I have Rattie rated just outside the first, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he stays inside the first and put it all together at the next level. Both forwards play a similar game and think the game at such a high level that either could turn out to be steals. His quick feet make him a very very elusive player. Scouts try to find flaws in his game but at the end of the day the only knock on him is his size. He has wicked release and dangerous, soft hands and is able to setup plays from all areas of the ice. He doesn't shy away from the physical side of the game and has done a tremendous job adapating to a new culture and style of game in his first season in the WHL. He also lead all rookies in scoring in the WHL. He also looked really good with RNH at the top prospects game.

12. Nathan Beaulieu: Defence
Height: 6'2" Weight: 174lbs
Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL): 65GP 12G 33A 45P
NHL Comparable: Keith Yandle / Cam Fowler
Projection: #1 two-way defenceman & powerplay quarterback
Quote:
The Skinny:
Beaulieu definitely has all the tools needed to become a number one defencemen at the NHL level. He has the frame to shutdown other teams top lines but the vision and hands to move the puck up to his forwards. Beaulieu uses his long stride and excellent mobility to move the puck with tape to tape passes and doesn't have a whole lot missing in his game. He had a +44 rating with the Sea Dogs and makes a difference each and every game. He never takes a night off and has a physical side of his game to boot.

Beaulieu also posses a very strong slapper and very calm and collective with the puck. Nathan also reads the play very well, has worked on his defensive game and takes his leadership role on the team very seriously. He could have easily given up after his father was released as head coach of the St.John Sea Dogs but instead put it to the back burner and really battled through adversity. He posseses a lot of character and a great work ethic. He already works out during the summer with Edmonton Oiler Sam Gagner.

13. Matt Puempel: Left Wing
Height: 6'0.25" Weight: 196lbs
Peterborough Petes (OHL): 55GP 34G 35A 69P
NHL Comparable: Logan Couture / Jarome Iginla
Projection: 1st line goal scoring winger
Quote:
The Skinny:
Every year I have a player that I, for the lack of a better word, have a "crush" on. Last year I thought Austin Watson and Jeffrey Skinner were both amazing players that I put inside the top 10 despite most scouts passing on them. Obviously Skinner surpassed everyones expectations while Watson had a decent season on a weak Peterborough Petes team... the same team that Matt Puempel plays for. The thing you have to keep in mind, is that both of these players are pretty much the entire offence for a team that finished in second last in the Ontartio Hockey Leauge. If Puempel was on a stronger team I could see him being a top 10 pick this June. The former CHL rookie of the year has a great attitude that always focuses on future and would be perfect for a team in a rebuild.

When it comes down to it, their isn't a whole lot to hate about Puempels game. He is a clutch player that can score goals from anywhere on the ice. He has tremendous character, a down to earth personality, is a hard worker and will do anything to help his team win games. His visision is expectional and almost Tavares like how he can see the puck and put it exactly where it needs to go on the ice. He also plays against other teams top line checkers night in and night out. This has made Puempel much better at making plays in tight areas helped develop a one-of-a-kind release. Puempel can put the puck on net and make plays at high speeds and beat defenders one-on-one. Despite all the negative attention and hype, Puempel silenced critics by putting up a great individual season by posting a 1.25 point/game ratio on a weak team. He is also one of the best team guys you will see in the draft and respected by all his teammates. The only knock I could see on him would be the injury he suffered late in the season. Still, this is his first time in his career that he has suffered an injury that required surgery and shouldn't hold him back for too long. He has a lot of skills you can't teach and at almost 200lbs I wouldn't have been surprised if he jumped right into the NHL prior to his injury. It also doesn't hurt from an oilers perspective that he's friends with RNH and used to play with him.

14. Mark McNeill: Center
Height: 6'2" Weight: 210lbs
Prince Albert Raiders (WHL): 70GP 32G 49A 81P
NHL Comparable: Ryan Getzlaf / David Legwand
Projection: 1st line two-way center
Quote:
The Skinny:
Any team selecting in the middle of the first round will have a hard time passing on Edmonton native Mark McNeill. Although McNeill didn't have the greatest finish to his season with an unspectacular U-18's, his combination of size and grit make him a very unique package going forward. Unlike Scheifele, McNeill is already 210+ lbs and has the size to jump right into the NHL. For a big guy his has very deceptive acceleration and footspeed. He can beat defenders wide, drive lanes or make crazy back hand passes tape to tape to set up teammates. The best part about McNeill is that he has a great nose for the net and can find the open lanes to bury the puck. He also isn't afraid to drop the mitts and stand up for his teammates.

Just because McNeill is capable of playing in the NHL, I think another year leading the Price Albert Raiders would allow him to polish his skills before making the jump. He is very committed to his off ice conditioning and wouldn't be surprised if a good NHL combine will push him up higher in the rankings. His center of balance makes him hard to knock off the puck. The only knock I have on McNeill is that he isn't as creative as some of the other prospects in the top 20. He has great vision and skills but plays a very simple game and doesn't dangle through players to put up his points. Still, its hard to argue with a powerforward that was second on his team in scoring while being able to penatly kill and produce majority of his points 5on5. For all the talk of RNH centering the Edmonton Oilers top line, if this kid was on a line with Hall and Eberle he would be able to dig out pucks and gather rebounds. I think he would be a welcomed addition to any NHL team. I think Edmonton would be estatic to grab a couple of 9's this June.

15. Mark Scheifele: Center
Height: 6'2" Weight: 182lbs
Barrie Colts (OHL): 66GP 22G 53A 75P
NHL Comparable: Ryan Johansen / Joe Thornton
Projection: 1st line playmaking center
Quote:
The Skinny:
No Canadian has shot up the rankings more then playmaking center Mark Scheifele in the past couple of months. He is still very skinny at only 182lbs and 6'2" but showed that he has a lot of untapped potential at the U-18's. Scheifele is generally a pass first playmaker that put up very impressive numbers on a very poor Barrie Colts team. Scheifele always played against other teams top lines and was definitely one of the go to guys on the Colts lineup. Scheifele is also a great student of the game and a very coachable kid that has tremendous character.

Having said that Mark posted only 22 goals this season with 13 of them being on the powerplay. Obviously he has better hands then a guy like McNeill but he needs to use his frame better to put himself in those dirty areas that will increase his goal totals. Scheifele also still has to work on his shot and use his release a bit more. It also wouldn't hurt to increase his strength and explosiveness. I still think this kid has tremendous potential but he is still a project at this point. Mark is more of a finese/dangling player that has great puck skills and reading the play for the open player.

16. Joel Armia: Right Wing
Height: 6'3" Weight: 191lbs
Ässät (SM-Liiga): 48GP 18G 11A 29P
NHL Comparable: Johan Franzen / Jesse Joensuu
Projection: 1st line goal scoring winger
Quote:
The Skinny:
It almost seems like destiny that the Minnesota Wild scoop up Joel Armia with their pick as they try to draft every top end Fin that they can. So really, it doesn't matter where I rank Armia. The big goal scoring machine has very soft hands that allow him to deke through players with ease and put the puck on net wherever he wants. He is pretty much unstoppable when he is motivated and has the puck on his steak. He isn't a burner and could work on his speed but he isn't slow for a bigger player either.

I think that an average U-18's didn't hurt or help his draft status but many were expecting him to dominate internationally. He didn't look the greatest in the WJC and can be invisible when he doesn't have the puck. Armia still needs to work on his play away from the puck and put the work in the training room. Joel has to bulk up if he is ever going to use his frame appropriately. The fact that he is still a project that needs to adapt to the North American style of game pushes him back a little bit on my rankings but he is still a very good prospect that would be welcomed with open arms in Edmonton.

17. Oscar Klefbom : Defence
Height: 6'4" Weight: 200lbs
Färjestad (SEL): 23GP 1G 1A 2P
NHL Comparable: Alexander Edler / Jeff Petry
Projection: #2 two-way defenceman
Quote:
The Skinny:
Klefbom is the total package. He is already 6'4" and 200lbs and domanited as the swedish captain for the U-18's this spring. Klefbom averaged a point per game as a defenceman and didn't look out of place defensively. Depending on who you ask, some scouts think Klefbom is safer because of his size while others think Brodin is safer because of his simple style of game and hockey sense. Klefboms size has already allowed him to play in the SEL while not looking out of place. Obviously he isn't going to produce the same way a guy like David Runbland will, but he should be able to run a powerplay at the NHL while being able to eat minutes at the other end. He is a very smooth skater for his size and has a cannon on the powerplay. He has all tools to be a top pairing defenceman at the NHL level.

Oscar is also one of the youngest defencemen available for the draft. He should be given plenty of time to work on his skills in Sweden before jumping over to the North American style of game. Klefbom makes a great first pass and really relies on his stick work to defend. He could be better positionally, which will only come as he becomes faster on his skates. Also, if he can use his size more effectively in the future he could turn out to be a huge steal for any team taking him inside the first round. I don't think he will jump into the NHL next year but he does have the size to be here in two years. He is certainly a project to get excited about and could even land inside the top 15.

18. Jonas Brodin: Defence
Height: 6'1" Weight: 169lbs
Färjestad (SEL): 42GP 0G 4A 4P
NHL Comparable: Alex Goligoski / Erik Karlsson
Projection: #2 puck moving defenceman
Quote:
The Skinny:
Although Jonas Brodin doesn't have the size that his fellow countryman Oscar Klefbom posseses, he has a skillset that Klefbom just can't learn. Brodin is more of a project and isn't physically ready to jump into the NHL. Brodin may not quarterback a powerplay as well as Klefbom but he is arguably the better puck moving defenceman. Brodin is very calm under pressure and always makes the right decision with the puck. His hockey IQ really seperates himself from the rest of the defencemen in this years draft class and was tested time and time again in the SEL. Brodin has elite hockey sense and its like he knows how the play will turn out before it even happens. He might not look like the best player on the backend but the way he controls the game from the backend is something special. It makes him a very interesting prospect going forward.

Also, with his late birthday, Brodin is currently the youngest player to have ever suited up for Färjestad. He has a great first pass and has a tremendous first couple of steps. He sees the ice very well and knows where the puck should go. He uses his frame well but is going to have to bulk up his 6'1" frame in order to deal with larger power forwards in the NHL. If I was picking a player for the right now it would be Klefbom but I wouldn't be suprised if Brodin is the better prospect long term.

19. Alexander Khokhlachev : Center/Left Wing
Height: 5'10" Weight: 188lbs
Windsor Spitfires (OHL): 67GP 34G 42A 76P
NHL Comparable: Alexander Burmistrov / Mike Comrie / Jeffrey Skinner
Projection: 2nd line goal scoring winger
Quote:
The Skinny:
Although Khokhlachev comes in on my list at 19, I would still be estatic if the Edmonton Oilers selected the speedy russian forward at this years NHL entry draft. Once considered a top 10 pick by many, he has for whatever reason slipped in the rankings despite having an outstanding playoffs. Khokhlachev was second in team in scoring with 20 points in just 18 playoff games and was always a threat on the ice. Only Tom Kuhnhackl put up more points. Still Khokhlachev is still 6th in OHL playoff scoring in his rookie season. Scouts always like players with strong finishes and upwards trajectory.

If Khokhlachev was two inches taller and Canadian he would probably be receiving a lot more attention then he already is. Sure, he might not be Nail Yakupov but he is a shifty goal scoring forward that is always buzzing around other teams nets. He worked for each and every one of his 34 goals in Windsor and showed great leadership as the season progressed. I don't think Edmonton goes russian in the draft but he could add some much needed offence to any team that selects him. I still think he has seperated himself from Vladislav Namestnikov but each scout will have their preference. I could see Koko putting up Burmistrov type numbers in the NHL as early as next year.

20. J.T. Miller: Center
Height: 6'1.25" Weight: 198lbs
Team USA (USHL): 48GP 11G 26A 37P
NHL Comparable: Ryan Kesler / Jarret Stoll
Projection: 2nd line two-way center
Quote:
The Skinny:
Already committed to North Dakota with fellow American Rocco Grimaldi, this U.S. powerforward should by dynamite for the Sioux. Although Grimaldi is the better player right now, his size makes him a big/boom project. A much safer pick, Miller lead Team USA to gold over the Canadians during this years U-18. He finished as the tournaments leading scoring and is a very gritty center that will bring character into any dressing room. More of a pass first player, JT scores the majority of his goals in the dirty areas in front of the net. He uses his size to his advantage but still has the skill to be an effective two-way center at the NHL level. He has a wicked release for a player that can dish the puck as well as he can.

Miller has a great attitude and never quits around the net. I think any team taking him in the first round will have to be patient and let him develop his offense before rushing him into the NHL. Another factor could be the position that he is expected to play. I think Miller will be the type of prospect that starts off on the wing but eventually translates his game to the Center position. Miller will still have to work on his speed but his strength is already there.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:52 PM
DousedInOil

21. Joe Morrow: Defence
Height: 6'0.25" Weight: 197lbs
Portland Winterhawks (WHL): 60GP 9G 40A 49P
NHL Comparable: Ryan Whitney / Cam Fowler
Projection: #2 puck moving defenceman
Quote:
The Skinny:
Before I start talking about Joe Morrow specifically, I should just say immediately that I like the Portland Winterhawks and everything that they have done to remain a competitive team. They are a world class organization that has done a great job scouting in the minors. I say this because as much as Joe Morrow has somewhat "inflated" statistics because of the team he plays for, his rank is not unwarranted. I think that he is the player he is today because of the organization and that they have just done such a good job developing him. You could argue that playing with such great players have inflated his statistics but I would disagree. His 6 goals and 14 assists for 20 points in 21 playoff games put his second in defenceman scoring. That is 7 points higher then the second leading defenceman on his team in Troy Rutkowski and 15 points ahead of the third highest scoring defenceman on the team in William Wrenn. He also lead the team in the regular season despite only playing 60 games. Worst case scenario the kid can produce when he is playing with other talented players.

The WHL playoffs were really a coming out party for Morrow. He showed that despite being an offensive defenceman that he could take the body and stand up for his teammates. He was calm under pressure and really showed his release on the powerplay with one of the hardest shots in the WHL. He has a lot of potential on the back end and can change the complexity of a teams defence. His top end skating isn't exceptional but he is a good skater. He is very agile and has a good couple of first steps that make his breakout passes a lot harder to judge for the opposition. This is great as he also has a very good hockey IQ and can judge the play accordingly.

22. Rocco Grimaldi: Center
Height: 5'6" Weight: 163lbs
U.S. National Development Team (USHL): 50GP 34G 28A 62P
NHL Comparable: Brian Gionta / Nathan Gerbe
Projection: High-risk 1st line goal scoring center/winger
Quote:
The Skinny:
It's hard not to compare the 5'6" scoring sensation Rocco Grimaldi to guys like Nathan Gerbe, Martin St.Louis and Brian Gionta. Both are smaller players that should have a lot of success at the NHL level. Although I think Grimaldi has more potential, its hard to bet on a smaller player that still has to crack the NHL. Grimaldi is a very smart player that always knows where he has the be on the ice. He can beat defenders with his speed and has a surprisingly strong core. Obviously scouts want to say "if he was 7 inches taller he could be a top 10 pick". If he was taller, I think Grimaldi would lose what makes him so special. He is an elusive talent that is a very high risk/ high reward forward. He won't ever be a defensive force at the NHL level but for someone to put up 34 goals its hard to ignore his offensive production.

Grimaldi is a very mature individual that has proved people wrong at every level that he has been at. What I really like about Grimaldi is that he is a tenacious offensive dynamo that is always on the ice in the final minute to push his team into overtime. He can control the tempo of the game and has a laser of a shot. He shouldn't be rushed into the NHL level and is already committed to the University of North Dakota. He might make a better winger than center at the NHL level.

23. Boone Jenner : Center
Height: 6'1.25" Weight: 204lbs
Oshawa Generals (OHL): 63GP 25G 41A 66P
NHL Comparable: Shane Doan / Jeremy Roenick
Projection: 2nd line two-way center
Quote:
The Skinny:
I would love to see Buffalo's announcer Rick Jeanneret announce his name scoring a goal. I can see it now, Boooooooooooooooon!! Goooooooooooal! Anyways, I think a team like Buffalo could use a guy like Jenner but will probably grab Scheifele or McNeill given their draft position. Jenner could go as early as 15-20 or even fall outside the first round. Many scouts don't see his offensive game translating to the NHL and demmed more as a character player that will anchor a third line in the NHL. Still, he has produced offensively thus far and is a great ambassador for the game. He is a great teammate and could do wonders for any teams dressing room- you can't underestimate guys like that. He is a hardworking forward that will do anything it takes to win.

Boon is a powerforward that generally sets up players but is a very versatile foward that can score goals, make big hits and work along the boards. He has surprisingly soft hands for a big guy that always takes a beating from other teams top checkers. He isn't going to wow you with his talent and is a pretty ugly skater but he gets the job done. He will have to work on his shot, speed and passing but he has the intangibles that you just can't teach. He scores ugly goals and will probably be a bottom 6 player in the NHL that can jump into that top 6 role when needed.

24. Nicklas Jensen : Left Wing/Right Wing
Height: 6'2.25" Weight: 187lbs
Oshawa Generals (OHL): 61GP 29G 29A 58P
NHL Comparable: Thomas Vanek / Drew Stafford
Projection: 2nd line two-way winger
Quote:
The Skinny:
Jensen could really be a sleeper in this years draft. The great danish forward scores his goals from the high-slot area and is still learning the North American style of game. He has the tools to be successful with his speed, skill and size that NHL teams generally drool over. He isn't the most consistent winger but has shown flashes of a potential top 15 on draft. He has always played above his age group and pushed him to where he is at now. With a Canadian father, he doesn't have the language barrier that most European kids have. Even if he isn't as skilled as other European prospects he should have a much smoother transition to the NHL. Still a project, I could see Jensen's game become more effective than Boedker or Eller at the NHL level. He has the size and shooting ability that teams can't overlook.

It's hard to be too critical of players in their first year in the OHL but his point production wasn't quite as high as most thought. Jensen was just under a PPG player all season long but proved he could pass that mark with 11 points in just 10 playoff games. He might not be an offensive dynamo at the next level but he certainly isn't going to hurt any NHL team. I think his success will depend on how his NHL team handles him. His ability to handle the puck and go around defencemen will make him a hot commodity over grittier forwards like Jenner, Biggs, McNeill, Scheifele. In many ways he is the opposite of Stefan Noesen. If you look at his abilities on their own, you will think "wow this is a dominating player" but when you put them all together you wonder why he isn't producing more. I don't think this goes against his hockey IQ at all, but their is certainly a transition that Jensen is undergoing to adapt to the North American style of play.

25. Zack Phillips : Center
Height: 6'1" Weight: 178lbs
Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL): 67GP 38G 57A 95P
NHL Comparable: David Bolland/ Antoine Vermette
Projection: 2nd line playmaking center
Quote:
The Skinny:
Unlike dynamic Jonathan Huberdeau, Zack Phillips doesn't have silky smooth hands. He is however, a very committed two way foward. Generally when a player puts up 95 points in just 67 games with a plus/minus rating greater than +45 you wouldn't thing he was a defensive player. Phillips is a natural center and makes all the right plays with the pucks. However, at 178lbs players of Phillips calibre will need time and patience before jumping into the NHL. He won't ever be a checking line center or legitimate first line center. He obviously needs to get faster and stronger in order to be successful against stronger competition.

Still, you have to ask yourself "what else could Phillips have done to raise his draft stock". Just because he is given the time and space in the QMJHL to make plays doesn't mean he should be penalized for it. He should be a very good center at the NHL level for several years to come but won't wow you with any ridiculous one handed goals. Phillips is a very good player to have in the corners and compliment players when he is working hard. It's easy to take a night off when you play for the CHL's best team in the St.John Sea Dogs but he has done a good job thus far in the playoffs. He should be a first round pick this June but anyone taking him top 15 could be disappointed. He doesn't have the potential and upside that a lot of prospects have but could be a Jarret Stoll type of player.

26. Jamie Oleksiak : Defence
Height: 6'7" Weight: 244lbs
Northeastern University (H-EAST): 34GP 3G 9A 12P
NHL Comparable: Zdeno Chara / Hal Gill
Projection: #3 physical shutdown defenceman
Quote:
The Skinny:
To call Jamie Oleksiak a big player is a bit of an understatement. He is a huge kid with just as much potential. Obviously he is a can't miss prospect that literally stands out when you see him play. He possesses a great deal of speed for a big forward and is very good at using his stick to work on opposing forwards. If he puts everything together he could be a gigantic steal on draft day. Playing as a freshman at North Eastern, he grew up playing all his minor hockey in Toronto. He has already been an anchor in college and a contributor for team USA.

Having said that, Oleksiak is a project. He could still be 4-5 years away from making the NHL. Although he possesses great agility and strength, he can rarely be found out of position. Right now he is a defensive defenceman but has all the tools to deliver. He can hit and enough speed to get to point A to point B. He is a beast physically but has been unchallenged against smaller players thus far. He is rough and can drop the gloves but has had to dial it back and work on his game in college. He still needs to improve his stride in order to make up for any mistakes he might make offensively. He plays a simple game and makes a good first pass.

27. Tyler Biggs : Right Wing
Height: 6'2" Weight: 210lbs
U.S. National Development Team (USHL): 48GP 17G 11A 28P
NHL Comparable: Ethan Moreau / Scott Hartnell
Quote:
The Skinny:
After a disappointing U-18's, it will be interesting to see how far Tyler Biggs falls on draft day. Once considered a potential top 10 pick, Biggs was fairly invisible in the tournament and was overshadowed by fellow Americans Rocco Grimaldi and JT Miller. Still, Biggs size and willingness to take the body will make an attractive package on draft day. Biggs uses speed well and can drive through players in order to get the puck to the net. He opens up ice for his teammates and would make a good complimentary player. He doesn't back down and can be hard for smaller defencemen to handle in the corners. He is a physical presence that doesn't back down.

Still, Biggs probably won't be a go-to-guy at the NHL level. He will however provide oodles of character. He is a very mature individual and a great person to have in the locker room. Biggs was the captain of the U.S. Under-18 National Team Development Program and won gold in both 2010 and 2011. Interesting enough, his parents were both Canadian yet he was born and raised in the United States. He is fully committed to the United States and will attend the University of Miami in the NCAA next year. It would be interesting if Burke grabs Biggs late in the first round. Although he isn't the first line center Burke is looking for, he is a Toronto Maple Leaf fans and would be great for the leafs down the road.

28. Scott Mayfield : Defence
Height: 6'4" Weight: 195lbs
Youngstown (USHL): 52GP 7G 9A 16P
NHL Comparable: Chris Pronger / Colten Teubert
Quote:
The Skinny:
For all the talk that Jamieson Oleksiak gets, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Scott Mayfield taken ahead of him. He may not be a creative and elusive defenceman but he is a big, tough, mean defenceman that can skate like the wind. Scott gets the job done and is the type of defenceman that all teams will covet on draft day. He had 159PIM and sadly lead his defence in scoring with only 16 points. He doesn't everything in his own end well but doesn't have the assists he could have had if on another team. With 22 points the season before, he is capable of producing offensively. For being on a team that averaged less then 2 goals a game, he was certainly a factor both offensively and defensively. Much like oilers prospect Colten Teubert, he has all the skills in the world. He could turn out to be a Jeff Petry/Erik Johnson type player but might have to adapt his game to fill a specific role to guarantee a spot with a NHL team.

He has a great shot that he could use more but concentrates on his defence first. The Youngstown Phantoms weren't the greatest team but its hard to ignore Mayfield. He is a great teammate and always battles no matter where the team is in the standings. I love his effort, character, and willingness to stand up for his teammates. He is going to Denver in the NCAA and could follow a similar success story to Jon Merrill. He is a very smart player that is certainly a project. He could go in the top 15 or even fall outside the first round. He is a player to watch as he still has some growing to do. Mayfield should round off around 6'5" and could even turn out to be 6'10" like his cousin.

29. Stefan Noesen : Right Wing
Height: 6'1" Weight: 195lbs
Plymoth Whalers (OHL): 68GP 34G 43A 77P
NHL Comparable: Patrick Sharp / Chris Kunitz
Quote:
The Skinny:
Although you won't see his name in a whole lot of peoples top 30, its hard to ignore the points that Stefan Noesen put up in his first full season with the Plymoth Whalers. Leading the team in scoring as a 17 year old shouldn't be taken lightly, especially when the only other player near his production were 20 year old's Robbie Czarnik, Tyler Brown, & James Livingston. Of all those players he also had the highest number of goals and the best 5on5 rating. He also showed his grit with 80PIM. Statistically he is a very good player and was given all the icetime he could handle playing under Mike Vellucci. Still, the team went 36-26-0-6 so its not like double or triple shifted. Noesen worked for his icetime.

It's hard not to like the kid. He is a leader both on and off the ice and is essentially Plymoths go-to-guy. He see's the ice well, has great hockey sense, has done a great job fixing his strength through his conditioning and has above average speed for a winger. He has a heavy, accurate shot and really good positionally. He uses his frame well and protects the puck. He can go into the corner and battle for the puck as well. He is one of those kids that is always where he needs to be and makes the right play. Their is more to his overall package then the summary of each individual attribute. When you look at each thing he does it comes across "average" but he doesn't necessarily excel at one particular thing.

30. Brandon Saad : Left Wing
Height: 6'2" Weight: 208lbs
Saginaw Spirit (OHL): 59GP 27G 28A 55P
NHL Comparable: Jaromir Jagr / Ryan Clowe
Projection: Second line puck protecting winger
Quote:
The Skinny:
If you told me at the start of the season that Brandon Saad had a realistic chance of falling outside the first round I probably would have thought you were crazy. Although his point totals are borderline PPG in the Ontario Hockey Leauge, I still have concerns about his overall potential. He has all the tools to dominate games but doesn't use his size and frame to his advantage. He isn't giant by any means, but he needs to do more then just protect the puck. I'm not convinced that he can change his game. He isn't physical or gritty enough to be in a bottom 6 role and lacks the creativity to be a top 6 winger. He should be an NHL player but certainly leaves me wanting more. It looks like he has regressed since the start of the season and scoring only 4 goals in the last 22 games of the season doesn't do him any favours. Saginaw is still a very good team and he should have elevated his gameplay to raise his draft status. Its possible that he is not used to playing so many games.

Having said all that he is pretty fast for a bigger kid and uses his long reach very well. It is very evident that he started off as a defenceman and moved into the forward role as he grew older. He is still adjusting. He is also great at getting pucks down low with his skill. Much like a Magnus Paajarvi, he can take a hit but should become more proactive in initiating the hit as he gets older. If he fully embraces his offensive role he could be a very important part of a team going forward. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Saad taken by the Pittsburgh Penguins as he is a hometown kid and could strive as a complimentary player alongside Crosby or Malkin.

30. Dmitri Jaskin, 31. Connor Murphy, 32. Tomas Jurco, 34. Ty Rattie, 35. Vladislav Namestnikov, 36. David Musil, 37. Nikita Kucherov, 38. Seth Ambroz, 39. Ryan Sproul, 40. Matt Nieto, 41. Victor Rask, 42. Brett Richie, 43. John Gibson, 44. Stuart Percy, 45. Lucas Lessio, 46. Christopher Gibson, 47. Adam Clendening, 48. Joel Edmunson, 49. Reece Scarlett, 50. Adam Lowry, 51. Daniel Catenacci, 52. Philip Danault, 53. Nick Shore, 54. Shane Prince, 55. Rickard Rakell, 56. Robbie Russo, 57. Tyler Wotherspoon, 58. Michael St. Croix, 59. Andrew Fritsch, 60. Dillon Simpson

Last edited by DousedInOil: 05-30-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old
05-20-2011, 08:51 PM
theoil

A prodigious effort. Thanks for the read.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Gotta say that I wonder what makes you say that Zack Phillips doesn't have "silky smooth hands"?

05-20-2011, 10:03 PM
OilerBoy888*

Your post failed. You forgot to put their birth dates up.

OilerBoy888* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:16 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Biggs is too low.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:27 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Great write up. Thanks for the work you put into this.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:52 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Biggs is too low.
I don't think he's too far off. Could maybe bump him up a bit but probably not top 20

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Jean Ralphio

Great work here, and the addition of MTSRKRFT and Mt. Eden Dubstep makes this thread a 10.

Jean Ralphio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Phlare
Eberle4MVP

Really nice read thanks DIO.

By the way, couldn't Jamie Oleksiak be higher up or is there something missing from his game for you to put him so low.

Phlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:46 AM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
DOUSEDINOIL'S 4TH ANNUAL DRAFT RANKINGS

2010: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=780117
2009: Still trying to locate haha
2008: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=522745

With back to back first overall picks it has become apparent that the Oilers are well along in their path to build a dynasty. I still might make a couple of minor changes and what not but I figure that with the board being as slow as it has been (and since I don't have anymore picks in the first four rounds of the HFOIL mock game) that I could release my rankings a month prior to the actual draft. As usual my draft rankings wouldn't be epic without some sweet music. Enjoy! I appreciate any input!
Great read, thanks for the effort! And a very electic presentation of music to boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfan2354 View Post
I don't think he's too far off. Could maybe bump him up a bit but probably not top 20
I think all three of Biggs, Grimaldi, and Saad are too high on this ranking. Off the three, I think only Biggs still has a chance at staying in the 20's (25-30 range, imo). All three are going to have to have off the charts combines/interviews to get picked in the first round.

Skillwise, Grimaldi's the best of the 3, but his size is a major concern. Biggs all round game (when he's on, which doesn't appear to be nearly often enough) and size should keep him in the first, but just barely. Saad right now is a lost cause, too much of a shot in the dark to use a first round pick on.

Last edited by 17Kurri: 05-21-2011 at 12:54 AM.
17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:59 AM
CupofOil

Great work DousedInOil. Appreciate the effort.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:01 AM
dnicks17

Only the top 30?

Maybe put some effort into it next year.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:25 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Saad right now is a lost cause, too much of a shot in the dark to use a first round pick on.
What?

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:25 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
A prodigious effort. Thanks for the read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Great work DousedInOil. Appreciate the effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
Great work here, and the addition of MTSRKRFT and Mt. Eden Dubstep makes this thread a 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
Great write up. Thanks for the work you put into this.
Thanks, i'm glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerBoy888 View Post
Your post failed. You forgot to put their birth dates up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Only the top 30?

Maybe put some effort into it next year.
I'll try harder next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Gotta say that I wonder what makes you say that Zack Phillips doesn't have "silky smooth hands"?
I just meant it by comparison to Huberdeau. Phillips has great hands. Perhaps I was too harsh when I compared him to Huberdeau. It is no slight on Zach Phillips. Huberdeau has some of the softest hands I have seen in a long time. His hands will never keep out of the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Biggs is too low.
Fair enough. He was rated much higher because he is a big physical forward that finishes his checks. I just think he went MIA at the U-18's and his lack of offence was really highlighted when Grimaldi and Miller really powered through some good teams while Biggs looked invisible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
I think all three of Biggs, Grimaldi, and Saad are too high on this ranking. Off the three, I think only Biggs still has a chance at staying in the 20's (25-30 range, imo). All three are going to have to have off the charts combines/interviews to get picked in the first round.

Skillwise, Grimaldi's the best of the 3, but his size is a major concern. Biggs all round game (when he's on, which doesn't appear to be nearly often enough) and size should keep him in the first, but just barely. Saad right now is a lost cause, too much of a shot in the dark to use a first round pick on.
As much as I think Saad is dropping I couldn't put him outside the first round. If he bounces back he will be an amazing player. Even if he doesn't he should be solid. I just wish he used his body more and played with more of an edge. He saved some face with a decent playoffs but still a risky pick.

I don't know how teams will be able to pass on Grimaldi so late in the draft. He has a legitimate chance of being a first line player but will be passed on because of his size. Last time I checked his size hasn't hurt him thus far. This kid IMO is something special but certainly a boom/bust prospect that could go either way. I think going to play with the Sioux with Miller will go a long way in his overall game against bigger players.

Already touched on Biggs but its funny that you think he is too high and IATL thinks he's too low. IMO that probably means he's just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlare View Post
Really nice read thanks DIO.

By the way, couldn't Jamie Oleksiak be higher up or is there something missing from his game for you to put him so low.
IMO Oleksiak is going to be taken waaaay to early much like Dylan MacIlrath was taken last year. Scouts and GM's can't help but think they have the next Zdeno Chara on their hands even though it is much more likely he is the next Hal Gill. I would like to say otherwise but if this kid was 5 inches shorter we wouldn't even be mentioning his name. He is at best above average in certain categories and is not elite in any category. I think he will be a big shutdown defenceman but he really needs to work on his offence to be ranked any higher at this point. Maybe i'm just not as willing to take risks on these types of players. I think it is a testament to the players above him.

Although these are my rankings, I think teams will probably take Saad, Biggs, and Oleksiak much higher then where I have them ranked.

Last edited by DousedInOil: 05-21-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old
05-21-2011, 03:02 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post

IMO Oleksiak is going to be taken waaaay to early much like Dylan MacIlrath was taken last year. Scouts and GM's can't help but think they have the next Zdeno Chara on their hands even though it is much more likely he is the next Hal Gill. I would like to say otherwise but if this kid was 5 inches shorter we wouldn't even be mentioning his name. He is at best above average in certain categories and is not elite in any category. I think he will be a big shutdown defenceman but he really needs to work on his offence to be ranked any higher at this point. Maybe i'm just not as willing to take risks on these types of players. I think it is a testament to the players above him.

Although these are my rankings, I think teams will probably take Saad, Biggs, and Oleksiak much higher then where I have them ranked.
Haven't you heard you don't need to be exceptional to be an effective defenseman. You just have to have size and a stanchion handy and you can easily handle those speed guys...

Seriously though, awesome job with the write up

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 03:20 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Joel Armia comparable to Jesse Joensuu? No chance in hell, Armia is not a grinder nor will he ever be.

Average u18's? He had like what.. twice (?) the points Zibanejad had + scored them much more consistantly, not against weak teams like Mika did.

That being said.. Nice list overall. Keep it up!

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 03:51 AM
Saunacrew

vCash: 140
Also #8 Ryan Strome
Comparable to ''Niklas Backstrom''.

Niklas is the goalie, Nicklas is the center.

Saunacrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 05:31 AM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Have you ever watched Phillips?

I understans now that it was in comparison to Huberdeau, but he does not have the greatest hands in the world. Sure, you can watch youtube highlights and check him out that way, but he's a straight forward player, and his hands/creativity are second fiddle to a standard game during his gameplay.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Fourier

Yes, this is much appreciated!

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 07:49 AM
OilerOlli*

Nice read, but some things I don't see.
Huberdeau like Jeff Carter? Huberdeau reminds me of Alex Tanguay.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:34 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Have you ever watched Phillips?

I understans now that it was in comparison to Huberdeau, but he does not have the greatest hands in the world. Sure, you can watch youtube highlights and check him out that way, but he's a straight forward player, and his hands/creativity are second fiddle to a standard game during his gameplay.
I disagree. He is a good player offensively. Defensively too for that matter. He is a smart player and he does indeed have "good hands". He may not show that well now due to a shoulder injury, but despite that, he looked pretty good last night vs Mississauga. You dont get 95pts in today's chl by being a scrub.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Beerfish

I like it, well done. Puempel you have higher than most projections but he is the type of player that has enough potnetial it seems that it will only take one team to really like him and he will be picked.

I also like that you have oleksiak where you do. I think this guy is rated higher than he should be in most projections because he is a giant and he should not be ahead of the other Dmen you have in the late teens early 20's.

(I like you placement of Hamilton as well.)

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 10:58 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Amazing thread. Good read. Took me all day to get through it.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

I like everything except for David musil at 36. He wasonce a top 10 prospect and hasn't disappointed at all this year.

Gobo is online now   Reply With Quote