HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

DousedInOil's 4th Annual Draft Rankings

Old
05-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
Thanks again for the rankings DIO. As always, a great read and informative. Always a pleasure

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:12 PM
DousedInOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
Thanks again for the rankings DIO. As always, a great read and informative. Always a pleasure
Thanks for the comments! I'm already really excited for the draft and can't wait to see who we manage to pick up. I really think their is a drop at 8, 18 and 35 so were pretty much selecting 3 NHL players. Sure, they won't be elite but they will be very good NHL players IMO.

Having said all that I really think this is the year that Stu ansd his team make their money. I mean last year was a great year but you couldn't really go wrong picking between hall and seguin.

For whatever reason Tambos desire for size always has me a little worried.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The point was made that he didnt have good hands. This is not the case. Watching him play says otherwise. All those players on the top unit help each other. Phillips isnt just riding coattails, he has real talent, which is easy to see if and when you watch him play.

Grimaldi will be lucky to go in the first round. He will go late in the first if not in the second. Yes he is talented, but he is way too small. Think Jordan Weal, a player you thought might go in the second round but didnt.
And the same with Kabanov . He could fall to the 3rd round.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:44 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
Kabanov fell because of character issues, not because of something he couldn't control like size. Weal fell because everyone thought that he was just putting up points because he was playing with Jordan Eberle- which turned out to be false.

Not sure I get the comparison?

Old
05-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Kabanov fell because of character issues, not because of something he couldn't control like size. Weal fell because everyone thought that he was just putting up points because he was playing with Jordan Eberle- which turned out to be false.

Not sure I get the comparison?
Grimaldi will most likely fall out of the first round we will see in a month. And Kabanov just did not drop that far from his character issue his size was a factor as well. kabanov is skinnier than Rnh Has height but beanpole

Last edited by Oilmageddon*: 05-23-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old
05-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
I mean last year was a great year but you couldn't really go wrong picking between hall and seguin.
Yes you could.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 04:31 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Grimaldi will most likely fall out of the first round we will see in a month. And Kabanov just did not drop that far from his character issue his size was a factor as well. kabanov is skinnier than Rnh Has height but beanpole
I wouldn't be surprised if he falls out of the first round because of his size, but to say that the main reason Kabanov fell was because of his weight is arguable. Sure he wasn't the most well rounded prospect but he was top 5 in terms of talent. If he had the right work ethic and character he would have easily been a first round pick. Don't get me wrong, i'm not a Kabanov and never have been but I don't know how you can compare him to Grimaldi. It's not like he was rated top 5 and fell.

Last edited by DousedInOil: 05-23-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old
05-23-2011, 04:33 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Yes you could.
Sure we all think Hall is better then Seguin. But either way you are going to get one hell of a player. Their was certainly a drop off at the top 2 in last years draft. I mean Seguin is like 100x more valuable then Gubranson at this point. This years draft is going to be much different. It wouldn't surprise me if someone rated 3-8 turns out to be the best player in the draft. Paajarvi fell to them at 10 and Eberle was still under Klowe. Sure, I trust in Stu, but if Tambo decides to be "hands on" in this years draft much like was with the Hesketh/Abney picks I will be disappointed. We can't be wasting picks. Even if they are "just" 3rd round picks.

Old
05-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if he falls out of the first round because of his size, but to say that the main reason Kabanov fell was because of his weight is arguable. Sure he wasn't the most well rounded prospect but he was top 5 in terms of talent. If he had the right work ethic and character he would have easily been a first round pick. Don't get me wrong, i'm not a Kabanov and never have been but I don't know how you can compare him to Grimaldi. It's not like he was rated top 5 and fell.
I never said it was the main reason. But Kabanov grew alot this year as well .

Old
05-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Mayfield kinda looks like Hall

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Have you ever watched Phillips?

I understans now that it was in comparison to Huberdeau, but he does not have the greatest hands in the world. Sure, you can watch youtube highlights and check him out that way, but he's a straight forward player, and his hands/creativity are second fiddle to a standard game during his gameplay.
Phillps has good hands, vision, and a good shot, regardless of Huberdeau he's a good player. As a matter of fact he was 1ppg before he played with Huberdeau this year.

Quote:
Last time I checked being ranked in the first round isn't a "scrub" by any means. Still, I don't know how many of those 95 points you could really attribute to Phillips. Sure he makes right play but too often he will pick up an assist after a great individual effort by Huberdeau. I know THN has him ranked as high as the top 10 but i'm just weary of players that aren't ever exposed. He is on a great team and never put in a situation where he has to be the go-to-guy like many players ranked above him. I still like him and think he could even go inside the top 15. I just think its risky to take those types of guys so early. Grimaldi is easily more talented while Jenner and Jensen have the size and skill to be long time NHLers.
I have a list of how many points Huberdeau factored into on Phillips scoring, it was roughly 50/50. I'll post it later when I have more time.

Quote:
I didn't say he didn't have good hands, I said he doesn't have the silky smooth hands that Huberdeau does. Sorry for the ambiguity, I can change it if you want. As far as riding coattails, the same was said for Sam Gagner. Sure they can each produce individually but not at the rate that they didnt with a star on their line.
Huberdeau didn't blow Phillips out of the water points wise like Kane did to Gagner either to be fair.

Quote:
This is going to be a very deep draft. I hope that one of Edmundson, Scarlett, Percy, Sproul, Lowry, Clendening or Russo fall to 61.
Edmundson at 61 would be incredible! I don't see him falling that far though, not with his size and toughness.

Quote:
Let's hope that Grimaldi is picked early so that a good player falls to us at 19.

05-23-2011, 06:09 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Let's hope that Grimaldi is picked early so that a good player falls to us at 19.
I agree. I wouldn't pick him with the 19th pick but would be delighted if he fell to 31.

Old
05-23-2011, 06:43 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
We have no business picking Grimaldi with any of the top three picks.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:56 PM
ZugNugget

Quote:
Sure, I trust in Stu, but if Tambo decides to be "hands on" in this years draft much like was with the Hesketh/Abney picks I will be disappointed. We can't be wasting picks. Even if they are "just" 3rd round picks.
Is that what happened? I swear I remember Stu alluding to the fact that he let his scouting staff influence some picks pretty heavily. Hesketh and Bigos, in particular, I believe were guys that his staff scouted a lot, and Stu kind of "took their word for it".

In the 2010 draft, Stu was more the driver of things, and was in much more control.

But I can't provide a link, and I can't remember where I heard it, so I could be wrong.

ZugNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 07:47 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
Is that what happened? I swear I remember Stu alluding to the fact that he let his scouting staff influence some picks pretty heavily. Hesketh and Bigos, in particular, I believe were guys that his staff scouted a lot, and Stu kind of "took their word for it".

In the 2010 draft, Stu was more the driver of things, and was in much more control.

But I can't provide a link, and I can't remember where I heard it, so I could be wrong.
I found an article here: http://lowetide.blogspot.com/2011/04/born-to-fly.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide
Troy Hesketh, 71st overall in 2009. He wins in a close race with Cameron Abney because Hesketh was taken earlier in the same draft. Hesketh gets noticed only when being traded and that happens quite often. I know he's a player whose boxcar numbers will never reflect value, but there are usually good players still on the board at #71 overall. Hesketh was a player that Oiler scout Mike Peluso liked a lot, so maybe he's a late bloomer. At this point, he's at the bottom of the MBS pile.
Another article here says that it was more a product of steve's draft strategy. bleacher-> /articles/398917-dissecting-the-draft-what-to-expect-from-the-oilers-come-june-24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salim Valji
Another thing to point out is that in the later rounds, Tambellini will reach to fill needs. He chose Troy Hesketh, Kyle Bigos, and Cameron Abney between the third and fourth rounds. The Oilers lacked any true enforcer in their system before the draft, and picked up two in Abney and Bigos, albeit at a very steep price.

So in a nutshell, Tambellini's draft strategy is this: grab the best available player in the early rounds, and fill needs in the mid-to-later rounds, reaching for players if necessary.
I know the team wants to address the size issue but you don't just grab the biggest player and hope they pan out. Our scouting can still take big players but I hardly believe that Abney and Hesketh were the BPA for big players on the board. Here is a list of players we passed on:

73. Alexander Urbom
85. Cody Eakin
92. Casey Cizikas
96. Linden Vey

I get that it wasn't a great year but good teams manage to find a way to find special players in later rounds. We can't just be throwing away picks. This team really does have so many needs that we just need to focus on taking BPA.

Also here is some more music for people since it's such a long read:

Last edited by DousedInOil: 05-26-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old
05-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Parise09*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
We have no business picking Grimaldi with any of the top three picks.
This. I wouldn't waste any pick in the first 3 round for him tbh. He'll be a hell of an junior/AHL player, but no way he makes it in the NHL at 5'6''.

Parise09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Dangerdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise09 View Post
This. I wouldn't waste any pick in the first 3 round for him tbh. He'll be a hell of an junior/AHL player, but no way he makes it in the NHL at 5'6''.
True, no player has ever made the NHL at 5'6"

Dangerdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_Gretzky View Post
True, no player has ever made the NHL at 5'6"
Bobby Lalonde played many years and was 5'5 155 lbs Also jf Sauve was 5'6 and there have been a few others.

Last edited by Oilmageddon*: 05-26-2011 at 10:11 PM.